Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Game Changer 2018.06.28

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

II thought that word on the street is that she is drinking. 

The random testing and court documents say otherwise. For me personally, I believe court and medical records over idle gossip of people who may have personal agendas toward bringing Katherine down. We're all allowed to hold our own opinions no matter what source(s) may have informed those opinions, but I just don't think its fair to Katherine that this gossip is being spread and believed when she's proven time and again that she is clean on all fronts. 

I've dealt with master manipulators like Thomas. I give her major credit for breaking away from him and doing the work necessary both to get her kids back and to see him for who and what he really is. That is no small task for anyone, let alone someone who was so intimately involved with him as she was. And unlike many of us, she can never be rid of him in her life because he is the father of her children.

She's growing up and learning. We've all gone through crappy periods in our lives from which significant change typically results. She is no different. I'm #TeamKatherine.

(and no, I'm not being paid to post wonderful things about her here!) :-D

• Love 20
On 7/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, HouseofBeck said:

I wonder if Thomas has tried to get away from his dad's horrible views, but lacks the strength. So often I see him resort to the noncombative "Mmm-hmm" at what comes out of his dad's mouth. He's got to know that times changed eons ago and his dad is an unfortunate living relic. And yet. There's the will to consider! (I speculate.)

Kathryn is better off without him. She's doing the cordial route quite well, so it seems. It confuses him, heh.

Good point.  I fell badly for his Mother too that she had to put up with that old goat.  He is from a different generation, the father, but ignorance knows no gender, age or financial position.  And he is just a jerk.  Thomas did not have much of a chance in that household.   He might need the family money more and more as time goes on.  Hope it is worth the price he paid for it.

• Love 5
On 6/29/2018 at 10:04 AM, heatherchandler said:

As if my mouth wasn't watering already!  I am now on a quest to have this for dinner!

I really like Southern Charm New Orleans...maybe a big reason is the food they eat there.  I'd move there just for the food!  No joke.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:09 PM, nexxie said:

Really enjoyed the Shep-and-Kathryn-eat-corndogs segment, a nice heartfelt few moments.

Say what you will about Shep, but he is a kind and compassionate person.  I don't like that he sleeps around, but even there, he says he's pretty up front about things and doesn't lead women on.  I like him as a human being, and I'll bet he is a really good and loyal friend.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:05 AM, slowpoked said:

Craig just put the kibosh on whether or not he and Chelsea will hook up soon:

http://www.bravotv.com/southern-charm/season-5/episode-13/videos/is-chelsea-meissner-a-loner

It's so funny how Craig puts it "I've just been used to dating the princess types, and not the Chelsea types..."

At the beginning of the season, I thought they may be a better fit as a couple than Craig and Naomie. But after seeing the last few episodes depict Craig, he would drive ANY woman crazy. 

I like Craig too, but he should maybe try for the non-princess type to see if that works better for him.

• Love 2
On 7/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, HouseofBeck said:

I wonder if Thomas has tried to get away from his dad's horrible views, but lacks the strength. So often I see him resort to the noncombative "Mmm-hmm" at what comes out of his dad's mouth. He's got to know that times changed eons ago and his dad is an unfortunate living relic. And yet. There's the will to consider! (I speculate.)

Kathryn is better off without him. She's doing the cordial route quite well, so it seems. It confuses him, heh.

I think you are on to something about Thomas and his Dad.

• Love 4

The whole undershirt thing brought me back to Season 1 where I couldn't figure out how Craig fit into the cast.  He still doesn't quite fit in.  

Kathryn dresses in high fashion which doesn't always fit into the setting that she is in (most of her outfits during reunions and Saints bday party).  

I think Cam still serves as a good narrator for the show.  Her marriage works because it is off camera. 

• Love 5

Agree that Craig never fully fit in. He’s a Northener for one, and was always trying too hard to be part of Charleston society. Remember when he wore the black tux and all the other men came in white tuxes? 

I think Craig doesn’t wear undershirts so that his shirts look very tight fitted/metrosexual. Just admit it Craig. 

Last night at a party I was at, one woman was saying that Ashley isn’t that bad and I was shocked. Are we watching the same show? 

• Love 4

Question about Ashley.  I've noticed that whenever she says her most outrageous things to Kathryn (or anyone else), it's in this really breathy, speeded-up voice.  Like her words are just tumbling out of her mouth without a filter.  Could that be from cocaine?  I've used it a few times but that was many years ago and I seem to recall that I couldn't shut up while on it.  Also, that there was never enough.  Anyway, just thinking out loud here with no evidence one way or the other.

I really like Chelsea.  She seems like she'd be a lot of fun to hang out with, whether you're a man or a woman.  Kathryn seems like she only gets along with men.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Oosala said:

Question about Ashley.  I've noticed that whenever she says her most outrageous things to Kathryn (or anyone else), it's in this really breathy, speeded-up voice.  Like her words are just tumbling out of her mouth without a filter.  Could that be from cocaine?  I've used it a few times but that was many years ago and I seem to recall that I couldn't shut up while on it.  Also, that there was never enough.  Anyway, just thinking out loud here with no evidence one way or the other.

I really like Chelsea.  She seems like she'd be a lot of fun to hang out with, whether you're a man or a woman.  Kathryn seems like she only gets along with men.

Oh, I'd bet my house that she's hopped up on coke in about 80% of her scenes, which makes her constant attacks on Katherine even more obnoxious.  I don't care how much you don't care for Katherine, Ashley's behavior is inexcusable.

• Love 7
On 7/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, Sage47 said:

It must have been a walk out basement. I remember wondering myself why the heck  Kensie slept in the basement?? They showed Kathryn waking up and going down into the dark basement to get Kensie out of her crib. I was appalled, esp that Kathryn and Thomas were one or two floors up! 

Kathryn slept down there too. I’m sure it was probably because Thomas decided he couldn’t be disturbed by a crying baby during his “campaign.” 

On 7/3/2018 at 9:04 AM, Schippmom said:

The Dustin Waters recap:

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/HolyCinema/archives/2018/06/30/confessions-of-a-southern-charm-newbie-polo-no-mo

His description of the Thomas/Ashley ride: Skipping ahead to the most uncomfortable car ride since the third act of Se7en, we find Thomas and Ashley heading to his plantation house (ughh). Recounting how awful his relationship currently is, Thomas tells us that women have always “been attracted to him for the wrong reasons.” I would agree. Really any reason to be attracted to Thomas Ravenel is the wrong reason. Trying to think of something nice to say about Thomas is like trying to divide by zero.

I also get the feeling that this road trip included multiple instances of Thomas attempting to abandon Ashley at gas stations. There is a 100 percent chance that Ashley removes Thomas' spark-plugs every time they stop to use the bathroom and fuel up.

Ok that is hysterical! Off to read the entire recap...

• Love 5

Couldn’t Ashley lose her nursing license if authorities see her hateful explosive behavior on this show - shouldn’t she lose her license? I wouldn’t want her anywhere near a sick or dying patient!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I doubt Ashley is on drugs. People who work in the medical field are regularly and randomly drug tested. I think she’s just high strung.

She clearly wasn’t working when this was filmed though. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, nexxie said:

Couldn’t Ashley lose her nursing license if authorities see her hateful explosive behavior on this show - shouldn’t she lose her license? I wouldn’t want her anywhere near a sick or dying patient!

Maybe not if she shows them a written contract that describes her role on the show. And, proves that there are written waivers from other cast members who are involved in this production. It's difficult for me to see how Ashley could risk so much that she has worked for, for basically no reason.  She has to know that her antics against Kathryn are not helping her at all with Thomas.  In fact, she's making things worse for herself. So, with no benefit in sight, I would suspect some hidden purpose.  

• Love 3
On 7/2/2018 at 9:19 AM, ProudMary said:

Just for the record, there are NO basements here in the South Carolina Lowcountry.  We're at sea level here or just slightly above it and everything is built on sand!  When I heard Kathryn say she was in the basement, I rolled my eyes.  I was reminded of just how much I miss my basement from when I lived in NJ!

Pretty much this.  Brooklands is on Edisto Island and thus has a very high water table so it's not a basement in a traditional sense with the foundation below ground level.  It's the lowest level of the house.  A quick history lesson on the anatomy of a plantation house (again, proving to my mother that the history degree is useful) ... It's the lowest level of the main house, which was usually used for storage and quarters for the house slaves/servants.  It wouldn't be out of line for the nursery for an infant to be down there now, if live-in care is living down there, though the nursery in Antebellum times was usually on the upper levels and the nanny/mammy slept there with the children (a white child would never be sleeping in slaves quarters).  Keep in mind that the house most likely did not have an indoor kitchen (or bathroom) originally and they had to be integrated into the structure, with the kitchen most usually being on the lowest level. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I doubt Ashley is on drugs. People who work in the medical field are regularly and randomly drug tested. I think she’s just high strung.

Except at this point she wasn't licensed yet in SC and wasn't employed by anyone, right?  Coke only stays in your system for 3 days.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Pretty much this.  Brooklands is on Edisto Island and thus has a very high water table so it's not a basement in a traditional sense with the foundation below ground level.  It's the lowest level of the house.  A quick history lesson on the anatomy of a plantation house (again, proving to my mother that the history degree is useful) ... It's the lowest level of the main house, which was usually used for storage and quarters for the house slaves/servants.  It wouldn't be out of line for the nursery for an infant to be down there now, if live-in care is living down there, though the nursery in Antebellum times was usually on the upper levels and the nanny/mammy slept there with the children (a white child would never be sleeping in slaves quarters).  Keep in mind that the house most likely did not have an indoor kitchen (or bathroom) originally and they had to be integrated into the structure, with the kitchen most usually being on the lowest level. 

Right.  Or, in the older plantation houses, the kitchen would not even have been in the main house.  Kitchens were often in a separate building, somewhat away from the main house so in the event of a kitchen fire, only that smaller building would burn down leaving the big house untouched.  This actually held true not only in plantation houses but also in some of the oldest homes in the city itself--separate building for the kitchen.

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Right.  Or, in the older plantation houses, the kitchen would not even have been in the main house.  Kitchens were often in a separate building, somewhat away from the main house so in the event of a kitchen fire, only that smaller building would burn down leaving the big house untouched.  This actually held true not only in plantation houses but also in some of the oldest homes in the city itself--separate building for the kitchen.

Yup.  You can still find some historic homes that have a breezeway between the old kitchen and the main house, or where an addition has been added over both to pull it into the structure.  What's even more fun is trying to find the old outhouses.  But that's something for the Small Talk thread.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Kathryn slept down there too. I’m sure it was probably because Thomas decided he couldn’t be disturbed by a crying baby during his “campaign.” 

I thought Kathryn's main complaints about that house were that it was so far away from the party and drinking lifestyle of Charleston, and that Thomas was never there and she was there by herself (with Nanny and Kenzie) all the time.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:39 PM, snarts said:

She's also front & center on their social media.

If that outfit is supposed to be an enticement to go to Gwynn's to buy clothes, major fail.  That is one ugly outfit and that scarf with the bathing suit...just no.  The pants are ugly too.

When was this taken?  Because her hair is super short now and would not have had time to grow to that length so she's either got a wig on or some serious extensions.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, lezlers said:

Except at this point she wasn't licensed yet in SC and wasn't employed by anyone, right?  Coke only stays in your system for 3 days.

Hair testing for drugs shows them for a lot longer time period. Been there, done that.

1 hour ago, izabella said:

I thought Kathryn's main complaints about that house were that it was so far away from the party and drinking lifestyle of Charleston, and that Thomas was never there and she was there by herself (with Nanny and Kenzie) all the time.

If that outfit is supposed to be an enticement to go to Gwynn's to buy clothes, major fail.  That is one ugly outfit and that scarf with the bathing suit...just no.  The pants are ugly too.

When was this taken?  Because her hair is super short now and would not have had time to grow to that length so she's either got a wig on or some serious extensions.

She has zero fashion sense. Nice enough girl, but fashion and hair/makeup are not her forte. Go back to college and get a degree that will enable you to get a good job in politics. Or something. Anything but fashion. That getup reminds me of the bad go-go boot outfits from the 60s.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, izabella said:

With the exception of this season, extensions have always been part of her "look." She's definitely wearing them in that picture.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, izabella said:

Yeah Thomas was campaigning and often left her at home during the day.

Maybe he was reluctant to have her be so near temptations.  Because this was right after season 1, towards the end of which Craig made the infamous observation that she'd slept with 3 of the 4 men at the season finale dinner event.  :D

• Love 3

If Kathryn had truly been interested in being a wife and mother, she’d have been thrilled to live on that plantation. She was after the money, and missed her party buddies. I know she’s trying to get it together now, she’s doing well, but at that time it was all about the drinking and the pot smoking.

• Love 7
On 7/6/2018 at 4:28 AM, nexxie said:

You don’t lose your license for being an asshole.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

Nor for “acting” on a scripted reality show. 

The thing is, if she was my nurse or the nurse for my loved one, I would not feel comfortable with her at all. The character she has put on display is immature, desperate, needy, etc. NOT professional, mature, and responsible. Some viewers suspect illegal drug use has contributed to her rapid and seemingly unhealthy weight loss. She's putting her nursing career at risk in this way, or she thinks she can lock in a reality TV "acting" career and/or a marriage to a rich man so she won't have to be a nurse anymore.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

The thing is, if she was my nurse or the nurse for my loved one, I would not feel comfortable with her at all. The character she has put on display is immature, desperate, needy, etc. NOT professional, mature, and responsible. Some viewers suspect illegal drug use has contributed to her rapid and seemingly unhealthy weight loss. She's putting her nursing career at risk in this way, or she thinks she can lock in a reality TV "acting" career and/or a marriage to a rich man so she won't have to be a nurse anymore.

I totally agree. Would be curious to know what the patients and staff think of her being on this show.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Major Bigtime said:

Hair testing for drugs shows them for a lot longer time period. Been there, done that.

She has zero fashion sense. Nice enough girl, but fashion and hair/makeup are not her forte. Go back to college and get a degree that will enable you to get a good job in politics. Or something. Anything but fashion. That getup reminds me of the bad go-go boot outfits from the 60s.

Did you get a follicle test for a nursing license?  That's quite unusual.  The overwhelming industry standard, per the research I've done, is a urine analysis.  That's the standard in my government employment as well.  It's quite rare to have a hair follicle test.  It's pretty well known that the highest incidents of drug abuse is amongst professionals is with lawyers and people in the medical industry so concluding that someone can't possibly be on drugs because they once, but are not currently, working in an industry that drug tests is a bit naïve.  Again, I'd bet my house that woman was familiar with blow during filming.  She simply was not acting like a sober, sane person. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, lezlers said:

Did you get a follicle test for a nursing license?  That's quite unusual.  The overwhelming industry standard, per the research I've done, is a urine analysis.  That's the standard in my government employment as well.  It's quite rare to have a hair follicle test.  It's pretty well known that the highest incidents of drug abuse is amongst professionals is with lawyers and people in the medical industry so concluding that someone can't possibly be on drugs because they once, but are not currently, working in an industry that drug tests is a bit naïve.  Again, I'd bet my house that woman was familiar with blow during filming.  She simply was not acting like a sober, sane person. 

This.  I had a friend who was a nurse.  She smoked meth regularly.  My ex sister in law is a nurse and she smokes pot. I doubt they drug test very often. 

Btw,  meth is a scary drug.  We had no idea how much this friend used until she accused my fiance of renting an apartment across the street just to spy on her. Apparently he took the bus so she wouldn't see his car.  We couldn't reason with her. 

She was still a nurse at the time.  I have no idea if she is still nursing.  As you can imagine,  we didn't remain friends. 

• Love 5
On 7/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, Major Bigtime said:

If Kathryn had truly been interested in being a wife and mother, she’d have been thrilled to live on that plantation.

I am thrilled be to a mother and wife and would hate living by myself on a plantation far away from everyone I know without my husband there most of the time. 

I think Thomas keeps his girlfriends at the plantation so that he can party and filander in Charleston with less fear of them finding out what he is up to.

• Love 12

Just FYI- no states that I know of test regularly/randomly for drugs. They might test you as a condition of hiring but there is no random drug testing unless you work for the federal government or in corrections. They might test you as a condition of probation if you are suspected.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Just FYI- no states that I know of test regularly/randomly for drugs. They might test you as a condition of hiring but there is no random drug testing unless you work for the federal government or in corrections. They might test you as a condition of probation if you are suspected.

Casinos randomly test their employees all the time.  I’ve worked for several companies who did random testing, it’s always up to the employer.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Fed govt doesn’t drug test.

Charmers,

We are getting pretty far afield with the drug testing in the workplace discussion.  If you want to discuss this further, please take it to the Small Talk thread.  Episode threads are for things that happened in the episode (hence, the title :-) ).  No one was drug tested in this episode.

Thanks!

• Love 2
On 7/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, Oosala said:

I agree about Chelsea. She lost me a bit with her giving Austin too much attention but she's brought be back now that's reminded us all that she's not someone who will cater to man to make him happy at her own expense.

I think Kathryn has gotten so much better with her female interactions. I would agree that the old Katheryn seemed to only get along with men, in fact, I'm pretty sure the old Kathryn only hung out with the men and argued with the women. Danni seems to be the only friend that she's had constant throughout her ups and downs through it all and I think it may all boil down to Katheryn feeling insecure and defiant the moment she feels judged. Danni has always been very supportive of her and in Katheryn's mind, doesn't seem like she's ever had to question Danni's intention toward her or whether she was being judged by her. The qualities that Katheryn embraced in Danni are all the qualities for why Danni has solid relationships with everyone - she just seems like a genuine person that's never looking for trouble or drama.

• Love 2
On 7/6/2018 at 8:07 PM, Major Bigtime said:

If Kathryn had truly been interested in being a wife and mother, she’d have been thrilled to live on that plantation. She was after the money, and missed her party buddies. I know she’s trying to get it together now, she’s doing well, but at that time it was all about the drinking and the pot smoking.

Uh,  no.  Not every woman who is a wife and mother would be thrilled to be sent off to the country with no friends while their husband comes home every night after socializing and partying. 

I saw no evidence that Thomas curbed his lifestyle once he became a father,  and he is 50.

Cha-ching! Another $1.25. Few more posts and I can buy a coffee... 

• Love 8

From watching the episodes and then knowing what I read about A being kicked out of her mom's house her clinging to Trav like Jack on the piece of floating Titanc make more since. Life is about to get a lot more lonely for Titanic Trashley

• Love 1