Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Of Mice and Men

Drogo
  • Start Topic

All the carping Larry does about the mice that enter his shelter, but does he attempt to catch and eat any?  Not that they've shown us so far, anyway.  Meanwhile Dave is catching and feasting on them.

I'm pissed off at Brooke, but she was one of those that was not really alone the first time, so of course that was the one thing she couldn't tolerate.  She also looked quite thin for only 30 days into the challenge.  That was a hideous shade of green, but she took hating it to a whole new level!  It amazes me some of the things these people obsess about when they have nothing else to focus on.

• Love 10

I knew Brooke was leaving after seeing her first scene.  It occurred to me that her hike up the ridge was a sort of goodbye trip, conscious or not.  I liked Brooke, I was sad to see her go, but she doesn't need to get as malnourished as she did last time, so I'm sure she did the right thing.  It was obvious she wasn't in the right place mentally for it.

We finally see that Britt is smoking his fish (as is Randy).  I wonder how Britt will do with his fishing once the grasshoppers get frozen out.

Y'all say Dave is a kook, but what about Larry?  Yikes.  Good point about him not catching the mice, but maybe when he says he hates rodents, he means it, including for eating.

• Love 5
(edited)
49 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Y'all say Dave is a kook, but what about Larry?  Yikes.

Yeah, during one of Larry's many outbursts about mice I began thinking that next to Larry, Dave looks pretty stable.

I sat and watched this episode totally disengaged.  This season is heading to be a complete fail.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 7
(edited)

No fat Sam for two weeks in a row.  I assume he'll be a bit more slim next week.  :)

Brooke:  Boohoo.  Boohoo.   What?  Alone means actually alone?  Green tarp?  What?  Am I in a psych ward?  Going on a hike because I want experience it!  Crap.  Now I might get wet.  Oh, wait, I'm starving.   Tap.  

Dave:  Shot a big bird and it got away.  Boohoo.  Oh noes!!!  Boohoo.  It wasn't so hard in Patagonia when I preserved all those fish that I refused to eat.  Move if you want to die, you little mice!  I'll grind your bones to make my bread.   Oh no!  One crawled out of the trap before he died.  I gut them tomorrow and eat them.  yay.  Now I might have to kill a deer! 

Larry:  Boohoo.  Mice!  Mice!  Scurry sounds!   Nobody told us about the dreaded MOUSE even though I threw a fit about it before.   I'll reprise my stupid act from my first season.  I know!  I'll use bear spray on my bed to annoy the mice.  Never mind the fact that I sleep on the damn thing.  OH!  And then I'll also use up a few shots of air from my boat horn.  Hopefully there're no really big animals I might have to worry about. 

Britt:   Ho hum.  I'll go fish and catch a bunch.  I'm fed.  Now I'll smoke some of them.  The large animals outside my shelter keep me from sleeping soundly.   Having fun with my camera, here!  

Randy:  Well, I'm catching fish so I think it might be wise to smoke them on top of the amazing chimney I built.  Cool.   Adjusting well, I think.  Happy thoughts.  Got a grouse!  That's great.  Need the fat.  

57 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Y'all say Dave is a kook, but what about Larry? 

They both seem 'off' to me, but from the previews it seems that Dave is building a perch on which he can more precisely shoot deer?  Are we going to be subjected to some drama queen performance if he gets one?  I hope not.  That would be amazing if he got a deer.  The man has serious bow skills.  But what about his seemingly half-finished shelter?  A tarp and half the place having somewhat walls is not going to do the trick here, and we all know he knows it.  

I don't know if Larry is actually talented and faking it, or if he's really just going to play for the camera until he has to tap.  There's really no way to know with this editing.  

Also, congrats to Randy for being the 3rd person this season to succeed with a bow.  Awesome (compared to the first few season when nobody was able to do a thing with a bow).   

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I sat and watched this episode totally disengaged.  This season is heading to be a complete fail.

I've seen a lot of complaints about this season.  I must be the only one enjoying it.  

41 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

I know!  I'll use bear spray on my bed to annoy the mice.  Never mind the fact that I sleep on the damn thing.  OH!  And then I'll also use up a few shots of air from my boat horn.  Hopefully there're no really big animals I might have to worry about. 

I was going to mention that and forgot.  Way to waste your bear spray, Larry.  And your air horn, too.  Sure hope you don't need it later.

I would love to see Dave get a deer, just because we haven't seen anyone get a large animal yet on this show.  It would be a first, and a huge boost for him.  

• Love 8

Brooke was not there for the money. I'm not sure what she actually WAS there for, but she seemed totally unmotivated by anything except a love of the outdoors. She also seems to be an extrovert who can't be bored, and that doesn't bode well at all. Y'all hating on Sam for not doing much: he has the right idea. The most successful folks on this show can be alone with their thoughts and lay around all day without being psychologically destroyed by it. Alan was the king of that.

Fucking Larry spraying his BED with BEAR SPRAY was something else. Not sure how that'll affect his, ya know, SLEEP. Dude would cut off his nose to spite his face.

Dave...at least he wasn't too weepy in this episode.

Britt and Randy are awesome. Britt reminds me a bit of Darius Rucker for some reason. Hootie and the Abundant Fish.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Y'all say Dave is a kook, but what about Larry?  Yikes.  Good point about him not catching the mice, but maybe when he says he hates rodents, he means it, including for eating.

I said Larry was a kook last week.  Here's my quote:

Larry spends more energy hamming it up for the camera that he can possibly be getting from the food he's eating, which is not a good strategy for lasting long enough.  The way he howled when he caught that fish was a case in point.  I think he's a kook anyway.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I've seen a lot of complaints about this season.  I must be the only one enjoying it.  

I'm enjoying it. Doesn't seem much different than any other season to me - starving in the wilderness and bitching about it, except for a couple people. I really don't know what it is that I enjoy about this show, because on the face of it, it would seem like it's the equivalent of watching paint dry. But my everyday life is so removed from nature, I guess I find it interesting how humans actually survive out there.

• Love 10
(edited)

I am totally over Larry. Apparently,  he believes his own press and is overacting to the house.

Randy has quite the cozy set up there. Even *I* could stay there quite comfortably (well,  as long as Randy was bringing in the fat grouses)

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 8

I'm starting to think F*kin Larry belongs in Brooke's psych ward.  I wanted to see the footage of him trying to sleep in his bear sprayed bed.  Though, maybe that won't be a problem for him, since it looks like his "shelter" is extremely well ventilated--those weed walls were pretty thin and patchy.  I also couldn't believe the masses and masses of dried grass he hauled out of his shelter.  That's a lot of material!  No wonder the mice drive him nuts, it is all nothing but a playground for them!  He's got nowhere to set a trap either.

Brooke couldn't stand being alone on a show called "Alone." That's special.  To be fair, her season was the partner season, and she did dote on her husband quite a bit during their run.

Britt is having fun, except for his "night terrors." Weepy Dave actually seems to be doing better this time 'round, but it is early days yet.  Sam is so boring he's completely absent from the broadcast show.  

Randy is thriving.  His cabin is tight, his food game is strong, and he's getting it done.  Which....conversely....worries me.  That stable type is the one who reaches some sort of internal goal then once that is satisfied goes "Yep, I've done what I came to do, I can stick it out here for as long as it takes.  Nailed it.  Nothing left to prove.  Time to move on." Then they tap out.  I don't think Randy cares about the money or the title, he's in it for his own reasons, and once that itch is scratched he'll move on.  Which, yeah, good for him but bad for us viewers rooting him on!

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm starting to think F*kin Larry belongs in Brooke's psych ward. 

HA!!!!  

I agree.  :)

And yeah, what's up with all those hobbit houses consisting of pine boughs??  Did they not understand 'It's going to get cold here, MF'ers'??  And also, a tarp roof will probably not stand up to snow, DAVE.  Nor will only walls on 2 (3?) sides.   

Go Randy and Britt! 

I'm still wondering whether or not the intro showing someone tramping through the snow wearing homemade snowshoes is real or not?  Kind of like the wolf/dog.  I *thought* that person was a woman because of the skinny legs, but now we know it isn't.  Is it one of the guys, or totally fabricated like the wolf/dog?  

• Love 5

I'm really enjoying this season.  Each of them doing different things.  Rose Hips...who knew.  I was sorry to see Brooke decide to go home and I agree about her trip to the summit being her goodbye. 

I really like Britt and Randy.  They seem to be doing the best.

• Love 8

was disappointed to see Brooke give up, Have never been alone without internet for a month, have been alone for a month but in my house on crutches, ha ha . TV internet telephone  makes up for a lot. Some seem top be settling in, others not so much, Larry should have watched this season, eat the mice in your room, don't drive them away,  that could feed you all winter.  well, bears will hibernate soon and the cold will be coming, so ill be interested in how well the cabins work. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

I have been looking forward to this for the past few months and i am happy with it so far! Best thing on tv

The only bad thing about watching this season is that I am now craving fish

• Love 1

Can't believe they tried to hint at "seasonal affective disorder" as being a cause of Brooke's tap. Bitch please, she lives in Alaska. Girl got lonely without her boo. 

I thought wounding that bird but not killing it would destroy Dave, but I think he is coming to terms. But then he was flat out gleeful about killing the mice, so still not sure where his head is at. 

I'm officially over Larry. 

Britt might win, but I am afraid he will shortly thereafter die of lung cancer from living in that smokey  shelter! 

• Love 8

I’m enjoying this season but then again the alone/not alone season of paired up stupidity means that my bar may be low. Every time I think of alone-but not really I want to scream like F*kin Larry. So this season is automatically better because it’s really alone. And honestly if I pretend that season didn’t happen I love this show overall.  

Speaking of Larry, what a doofus. The bear spray where he sleeps made me laugh. He seems to complain about the mice and dramatize about them to the camera more than do much to truly fix his issue. 

Brooke was a waste of a lot of airtime. As soon as she started whining about the green room of doom I figured she was out. She’s now a side note in my extreme dislike of the season of double disgrace. Her downfall was the actual alone part of the show named alone.

@ClareWalks I can’t think of Britt without thinking about Hootie and his fish now. Lol! Britt is quite enjoyable to watch. He’s low key funny and seems relaxed about what he’s doing. Randy is pretty great too. He and Britt seem to be closer to the thrive not just survive vibe everyone talks about.  Of course, when the cold comes, that could all change, but I’m hoping since their shelters looks so good it won’t.

Crying Dave bores me. The longer this goes the more I see glimpses of the food hoarding, dirt covered, crazy eyed man from last time. I thought he would have a fit about the injured animal getting away but instead he was mildly bothered but was quite gleeful over squishing the mice. 

Another where’s Sam episode. Is he truly just being still and preserving calories? Are his personal talking heads so boring they can’t piece anything together? It’s a bit odd.  

• Love 5

At this point I’d rather watch weepy Dave than over-the-top Larry.  Seriously wasting your bear spray?!  Would serve him right if a bear came up to his camp at night and he tapped cause he was scared sh!tless.

I’m sure Dave’s also playing to the camera, because it sure didn’t make him weep when he killed all those mice.  How cool was that .... seeing that trap in action.  Dave’s shelter isn’t too bad, but he might want to use some chinking between those logs b4 winter hits.

Britt & Randy are almost different guys from their first time around.  Really doing well, the two of them.  I hope they’re the last two.  Well, we have no idea how well or poorly Sam is actually doing.

Why or why did Nicole & Carlie have to tap out so soon?  We need strong women on this show.  Brooke showed strengths in preparedness & living out there, but weakness mentally.  So we’ve had three medical taps and a two wasted spaces, so far.  Hell I’d rather listen to Mike’s lamentations to Barbara because he was fun, creative & informative.

• Love 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm enjoying it.  I was very disappointed about Carleigh having to leave, but overall, I like the season.

Edited by muffkins
  • Love 7

I keep worrying that something awful is about to happen because of the preview that shows someone being hauled off on a stretcher.  I know that whatever happens already happened months ago but it makes me nervous anyway.  I'm afraid one of them is going to step on a poisonous snake.  

I like Britt and Randy.  Sam is boring.  Larry is a hothead and apparently not the brightest outdoorsman if he thought wasting bear spray on mice was a good idea.  And Dave is just plain peculiar.  And not a little creepy.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It's never been an issue before, but I would hope that they would get additional bear spray if they used up their can.

Maybe if they used the first can on a real bear, and not an imaginary killer mouse.

• Love 9

Odd that we didn't see Sam at all.   It was so obvious that Brooke was going to tap, she just wasn't into it.  It doesn't bug me so much because she probably thought she could do it, then when you get out there, it's a lot different.   I liked seeing Randy and Britt smoke the fish, though Randy smoking it outside was smarter than Britt smoking it inside.  At first I thought maybe Britt had a separate smoke shelter but nope, that was his regular shelter.  Britt sticking his face right into the camera was funny; he's personable without it feeling forced.

Aw, fucking Larry - he's still funny to me but after dealing with mice on VI, he should expect it here and build a sleeping place that wouldn't attract mice.  It could be show for the camera but I didn't think so because he wasted his bear spray.  Could be he wasn't as prepared to go back as he originally thought either.

Though I thought last week's episode was boring, I'm enjoying the season overall. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Brooke got the lion share of the episode for her goodbye.

The tease had us thinking the burned out tree trunk  on her hike was possibly a bear...quick cut away shot and an edited voice over....shades of the VI wolf...

Brooke realized that Dave was the reason she was able to stay in the competition as long as she did last time even though she did well enough to outlast 4 cast members this time around. 

Food is the linchpin...

Randy, Britt and Dave are thriving while Brooke, Larry and Sam are starving.

Wish they would show us an aerial overview of where each camp is in relation to the other like they did in earlier seasons.

We could see what part of the river each are occupying...are the 3 successful fishing areas on the same general area?

Randy continues to impress...using the chimney to smoke fish is safer than Britt's smoke filled hut...cough, cough, cough.

Was that piece of tin the first useful find by the cast this season?

Does anyone else think that Larry's starting to hear more mice than are actually present?

Larry should make 20 dead fall traps in and around his bed/shelter and have himself a  charcuterie board of mice like Dave, all he needs is a flight of craft beers....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4
On 2018/07/20 at 11:22 AM, rmontro said:

Count me in too. I don't mind that these people are flawed. It would be boring as hell if they all had their shit together like Randy.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Can't believe they tried to hint at "seasonal affective disorder" as being a cause of Brooke's tap. Bitch please, she lives in Alaska. Girl got lonely without her boo. 

Seasonal affective disorder is a big problem for people who live in Alaska.  My friends in Anchorage say that there are informal call trees during the winter to make sure that everyone is OK.  They use light boxes to treat it.

I assume we are not seeing Sam because he is having problems with the cameras.  I also assume that Larry came on hoping he could outlast everyone before it got cold because his shelter isn't.

I appreciate seeing the folks who are trying to do more than just survive to tomorrow.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Seasonal affective disorder is a big problem for people who live in Alaska.  My friends in Anchorage say that there are informal call trees during the winter to make sure that everyone is OK.  They use light boxes to treat it.

Not too far off topic, I hope . . . but I understand this 100%.  We did a 14-day Alaskan cruise, and didn't see the sun for 11 days.  I was ready to pitch other passengers overboard because I have SAD, and they were annoying me.  It can really mess with your head.  Good thing I live in Arizona!

• Love 1

Sam isn’t shown because he’s spending all his time sleeping or lying around not doing anything interesting.

I think the reason I dislike what I’ve seen thus far is that they have done this... they are playing to the camera ... or no, in Sam’s case, who hopes to sleep his way to a win. I am much more interested in seeing new people who’ve never done this before.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, I don’t get why Britt is using his shelter as a smokehouse. Having a small structure for smoking would be more efficient as well as more comfortable and healthy.

I got the impression that Britt just didn't think it out that far yet.  He's been very successful at catching fish and suddenly decided "Oh, yeah, I better start smoking these things."  I don't believe he'll keep that as a permanent solution.

• Love 3

Least we forget the dramatic affect that being "alone" has on all the contestants.  With no other stimuli things that ordinarily would be dismissed become the focal point of days.  A hunter who dispairs over the kill, a women who becomes obssessed by tge color of her hut cover or obsessing over mice in a hut.  I feel that in most comments here viewers do not take this into consideration and instead we evaluate these people as if they arr acting abnormal in what woukd be our real world.  Their is nothibg real in being out in the woods,  by ones self,  often without food and often witg large preditors close by.  Nothing NORMAL should be expected in anyones behavior.  Its part of what makes Alone great.  Watching how these pychological challanges manifest in each of the contestants. WHAT A GREAT SHOW!

• Love 16
54 minutes ago, Riche1212 said:

Least we forget the dramatic affect that being "alone" has on all the contestants.  With no other stimuli things that ordinarily would be dismissed become the focal point of days.  A hunter who dispairs over the kill, a women who becomes obssessed by tge color of her hut cover or obsessing over mice in a hut.  I feel that in most comments here viewers do not take this into consideration and instead we evaluate these people as if they arr acting abnormal in what woukd be our real world.  Their is nothibg real in being out in the woods,  by ones self,  often without food and often witg large preditors close by.  Nothing NORMAL should be expected in anyones behavior.  Its part of what makes Alone great.  Watching how these pychological challanges manifest in each of the contestants. WHAT A GREAT SHOW!

Well said.  And thank you for the reminder.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Riche1212 said:

Agree!! This is why I watch it. I like to find out what makes people tick.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree too. @Riche1212 The psychological aspect is the most interesting to me. And I wish them all the best ...um, but that won't keep me from snarking.  :)  

I understand that SAD is a very real thing @AZChristian and @meep.meep. My point was more that Brooke has lived in Alaska for a very long time, and lived ruggedly. She knows that score, and in my opinion she tapped from a big serving of hunger, with a side of loneliness, and a dash of boredom.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

What the heck is Sam eating in the tease?

They've made a big deal about him eating something disgusting, so I am going to take a guess.  My speculation is that maybe he picked something undigested out of some bear or moose scat and tried to eat it.  Just a wild guess.

10 hours ago, Riche1212 said:

Its part of what makes Alone great.  Watching how these pychological challanges manifest in each of the contestants.

No doubt the isolation and starvation is going to have an affect on these people's behavior.  Of course, we don't know what they are like in their everyday life really, so it's hard to say exactly what those changes are.  For all we know, Larry goes around raving about rodents in his home life too  :)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Riche1212 said:

I said upthread that it amazes me what these people will obsess over in the absence of anything else to focus on, specifically the color of Brooke's tarp and Larry's mice obsession, but I didn't express it as well as you have here.  The psychological changes are the most interesting part of this show for me too.  Part of that includes the second guessing and self-editing some of these second-timers are engaging in as a result of having done this before, plus the way Larry and Dave are hamming it up for the camera now that they know "what gets attention".  I know what you mean that their abnormal behavior is to be expected under those extreme circumstances.  I remember tales when I was a kid of "crazy mountain men" living alone in the woods.  I'm fascinated to see how this phenomenon evolves and manifests itself differently in different personalities.  It didn't surprise me that Brooke would tap out on what was probably severe loneliness.  Since her first season was with her husband, she really didn't see it coming.  Plus she doesn't look like someone that can tolerate long periods alone.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I agree too. @Riche1212 The psychological aspect is the most interesting to me. And I wish them all the best ...um, but that won't keep me from snarking.  :)  

I understand that SAD is a very real thing @AZChristian and @meep.meep. My point was more that Brooke has lived in Alaska for a very long time, and lived ruggedly. She knows that score, and in my opinion she tapped from a big serving of hunger, with a side of loneliness, and a dash of boredom.  

Yeah i agree.  If it really was the tarp color, she could hv fixed that. Just cover it with branches, moss etc.  It might hv just been the final straw.  Im glad to see they are for the most part reconciled with their decisions to tap out.  No use living with regrets on top of it all.

21 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I am enjoying the season. I'm just rolling with it and don't have strong feelings or opinions about any of the participants. I just enjoy watching the process.

Im enjoying it too.  I love all the jewelry Brooke made, she has a real talent, a side business.  I do feel bad for the girl who had to tap because she hooked her hand.  That would be soooooooo disappointing

• Love 2
On 7/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, ramble said:

I’m enjoying this season but then again the alone/not alone season of paired up stupidity means that my bar may be low. Every time I think of alone-but not really I want to scream like F*kin Larry. So this season is automatically better because it’s really alone. And honestly if I pretend that season didn’t happen I love this show overall.  

Speaking of Larry, what a doofus. The bear spray where he sleeps made me laugh. He seems to complain about the mice and dramatize about them to the camera more than do much to truly fix his issue. 

Brooke was a waste of a lot of airtime. As soon as she started whining about the green room of doom I figured she was out. She’s now a side note in my extreme dislike of the season of double disgrace. Her downfall was the actual alone part of the show named alone.

@ClareWalks I can’t think of Britt without thinking about Hootie and his fish now. Lol! Britt is quite enjoyable to watch. He’s low key funny and seems relaxed about what he’s doing. Randy is pretty great too. He and Britt seem to be closer to the thrive not just survive vibe everyone talks about.  Of course, when the cold comes, that could all change, but I’m hoping since their shelters looks so good it won’t.

Crying Dave bores me. The longer this goes the more I see glimpses of the food hoarding, dirt covered, crazy eyed man from last time. I thought he would have a fit about the injured animal getting away but instead he was mildly bothered but was quite gleeful over squishing the mice. 

Another where’s Sam episode. Is he truly just being still and preserving calories? Are his personal talking heads so boring they can’t piece anything together? It’s a bit odd.  

Im not sure which guy it was but did you see him in the last couple eps where he was starving so much he took a header into a big old log and lay there passed the F out for who knows how long.  That was scary.  He might be going on the stretcher

• Love 1