Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Bowels of Hell

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Geez Dave enough of the drama please.

I don't understand, is there really no fish to catch for some or are they just lazy to improvise like Britt's grasshopper bait.

Shelter wise, Sam's & Larry's are not good. Britt's & Randy's are nice & look strong, Randy wasn't shown in this episode?

• Love 4
On 7/15/2018 at 10:25 AM, Yeah No said:

I can't help but think that some of Dave's on-camera brooding over this is for the benefit of the audience and he's not as uncomfortable with it as he wants to look.  Just my gut instinct there because among other reasons, methinks he doth protest too much.  Already it is obvious to me that this cast has been affected by the public response to them in their original seasons and is carefully editing themselves as a result (like Larry going overboard to "thank" every creature he kills).  And as others have pointed out, Dave didn't seem to have a problem with how his fish died in his original season.  I don't completely buy his shtick, especially because I think he's a kook anyway.

Dave may be a kook, but I think his guilt feelings over the animals suffering is genuine.  There's no way to tell for sure, but that's my take.  

I'd say most people are more sensitive to mammals suffering than to fish suffering.  That's natural, since we ourselves are mammals and not fish.  That doesn't mean he didn't care about the fish, but it probably wasn't as big an issue.  People do have empathy for fish suffering though, that's why they kill them quickly when they take them out of the water.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

How about a dock or paddle fishing contraption like Fowler built?

Fckin Larry is a contractor so he should be able to build something to aid his fishing if he gets over his fainting spells...

F*g Larry is an Electrician.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe he could build something that shocks the fish in the water.  :)

From what we have seen of his previous season, he could easily do that with his language.

• Love 13
(edited)
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

From what we have seen of his previous season, he could easily do that with his language.

Heh.  Maybe that’s why he couldn’t catch any his first season.  The poor fishies were shocked and scared of all that bad language and anger.  They didn’t want to come out of the water.

Edited by roamyn

Anybody else thinking that Britt should build a grasshopper house so he can have a good supply for fishing when the first frost hits and they go away?

They could die from the smoke in his shelter...maybe keep outside up away from birds and other predators...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dittohead said:

I was wondering why none of these contestants are using those gill nets that a lot of them used in the earlier seasons.  They worked rather well for some of them, as I recall.

IIRC, gill nets are not allowed where they are in Mongolia.  There were some (what seemed to me) very odd restrictions listed in the Making the Cut episode.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am kinda rooting for Britt (something I thought I would never say) because I am a white collar worker who wants to scream “Go nerds” if he wins. I doubt if he could beat “He Man hippie” Randy, whom I also like.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, qtpye said:

I am kinda rooting for Britt (something I thought I would never say) because I am a white collar worker who wants to scream “Go nerds” if he wins. I doubt if he could bet “He Man hippie” Randy, whom I also like.

They both seem to be thriving, that's for sure.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Guyonahog said:

Dave,

Really you’ve just realized your not a hunter? Second time around. A disgrace really. You’ve again taken a spot from a true survivalist. Go home Girlie Man. 

Is "girlie man" supposed to be an insult?  A guy who acts like a girl?  Because there are plenty of women out there who are killing wildlife and surviving just fine.   While I agree that as a survivalist, it seems a bit odd that he's lamenting the killing of his food to the degree that he is, it seems to me like calling him a girl should be more of a compliment.

• Love 4

I like Dave.  He's doing very well with his hunting.  So what if he gets a bit emotional sometime?  He's still getting the job done.

Any good hunter wants to get a clean kill.  I don't blame him at all for having regret for causing animals to suffer.  That's not the goal of hunting.

People who take pleasure in causing suffering are the same people who become serial killers:  psychopaths.  

I would rather hang out with someone who has empathy and wants to make a clean kill, than some idiot who is going to go out there and wound animals and take pleasure in it.

I hope Dave bags his deer and becomes the first contestant on Alone to bring down a large mammal.  Then I hope he can preserve and make use of the meat.

• Love 3
On 7/13/2018 at 5:23 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

That's what I was saying  a few weeks ago, but now we've had three taps in a row basically due to starvation.  Jesse's bowel problems probably wouldn't have happened if he wasn't driven to eating bark by lack of other food.  Everybody is on a river, yet some people are catching ample fish and some can't get a bite.  Dave is the only one taking down small game, but he's not the only one who brought a bow.  These supposedly equal campsites just  -  aren't equal.  I'm not saying that as a producer shenanigans conspiracy theory, I'm just truly stumped. 

I have to side with the producers (sort of) on that, in that I think it would be impossible to give every contestant a camp site with an equal availability of resources, no matter how hard you tried. Animal life isn't going to be equally distributed and things like easy access to a river are going to make some sites better than others. Food availability could also change depending on natural cycles. (i.e. game migrating w/ seasonal changes)

I think the best the producers can do in terms of fairness is to have the contestants draw straws and have which campsite they get be determined by chance. I can't recall now whether it was ever explained how contestants ended up paired with particular sites.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:02 AM, CottlestonPie said:

Is "girlie man" supposed to be an insult?  A guy who acts like a girl?  Because there are plenty of women out there who are killing wildlife and surviving just fine.   While I agree that as a survivalist, it seems a bit odd that he's lamenting the killing of his food to the degree that he is, it seems to me like calling him a girl should be more of a compliment.

Empathy for the animal you've killed also doesn't make you any less of a hunter, or a man.

That dude is infinitely more badass than any modern American/Canadian who hunts. He also had empathy for the animal he killed.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2018 at 10:58 AM, Yeah No said:

Me three.  I think a lot of what he does is calculated and part of his strategy.

no, it isnt and he didnt, other than laying around and being fat. If he wins that way, it will be the end of the show. Nobody wants to watch that.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:07 PM, Scaeva said:

I have to side with the producers (sort of) on that, in that I think it would be impossible to give every contestant a camp site with an equal availability of resources, no matter how hard you tried. Animal life isn't going to be equally distributed and things like easy access to a river are going to make some sites better than others. Food availability could also change depending on natural cycles. (i.e. game migrating w/ seasonal changes)

I think the best the producers can do in terms of fairness is to have the contestants draw straws and have which campsite they get be determined by chance. I can't recall now whether it was ever explained how contestants ended up paired with particular sites.

NOBODY is catching 'ample fish".  Only a bit over half of any animal or fishes live weight is edible flesh.  9 fish, of about  1/2 lb each, is the best anyone's done and you can bet that they do nothing of the kind, on average.  5 lbs of live weigh is at most  3 lbs of ready to eat fish, at  650 calories per lb (ready to eat) you need at least  3000 calories per day for the streses of this show. So you can bet that the are averaging the loss of  over  1/2 lb per day, as all competitors have done, all the seasons, cause they dont know what gear to take or what to do.

On 7/19/2018 at 2:00 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

IIRC, gill nets are not allowed where they are in Mongolia.  There were some (what seemed to me) very odd restrictions listed in the Making the Cut episode.

at least one of them took a gillnet. so you're very wrong. I think it was Nicole. You can use netting as seines or as baited net-weirs, you know.  IN fact, it works better that way. Gillnets catch only a certain size of fish.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:07 PM, Scaeva said:

they DO draw straws.

On 7/21/2018 at 1:48 AM, rmontro said:

I like Dave.  He's doing very well with his hunting.  So what if he gets a bit emotional sometime?  He's still getting the job done.

Any good hunter wants to get a clean kill.  I don't blame him at all for having regret for causing animals to suffer.  That's not the goal of hunting.

People who take pleasure in causing suffering are the same people who become serial killers:  psychopaths.  

I would rather hang out with someone who has empathy and wants to make a clean kill, than some idiot who is going to go out there and wound animals and take pleasure in it.

I hope Dave bags his deer and becomes the first contestant on Alone to bring down a large mammal.  Then I hope he can preserve and make use of the meat.

no, he's not doing well. He's arrowed at most  5  lbs of game. That's at most 3 lbs of edible flesh, at  800 calories per lb. So he's not arrowed enough food for even one day under the conditions of this show. He's starving, just like everyone else is. You'll see, and soon, too.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:31 AM, rmontro said:

They both seem to be thriving, that's for sure.

no, they aint. they are starving, just like everyone else is. Randy's tapped because of it.  Dave will almost certainly be next (or will be pulled from the show, like last time). 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:59 AM, humbleopinion said:

How about a dock or paddle fishing contraption like Fowler built?

Fckin Larry is a contractor so he should be able to build something to aid his fishing if he gets over his fainting spells...

why do such silly stuff, when you can lots mor easily make netting, which will be 10x more effective than any sort of hook and line fishing

On 7/16/2018 at 9:28 PM, humbleopinion said:

Anybody wonder what was cooking in Randy's pot?

I like his hearth setup.

Britt's fire in the middle of his shelter and the lingering smoke is not healthy.

randy starved out, due to wasting  2 weeks of precious netfishing time on that stupid cabin, Anyone could see that he'd never be around for winter. You only get sy most  2 months of fishing cause  rivers freeze solid. So the fish stay in the lakes until early  July and get back there by late August.

On 7/16/2018 at 6:54 PM, piequinn35 said:

Geez Dave enough of the drama please.

I don't understand, is there really no fish to catch for some or are they just lazy to improvise like Britt's grasshopper bait.

Shelter wise, Sam's & Larry's are not good. Britt's & Randy's are nice & look strong, Randy wasn't shown in this episode?

you dont eat the fish heads or the guts,  so you use THAT stuff for bait. you've got it right there, so why not use it? Dont waste calories looking for bugs. Grasshoppers are only around for about a month over there, it's just too cold  for them for the rest of the year. put the guts and heads in small bags,, made of tarp/tape, with holes in the material to let-out the scent. then the bait wont just dissolve in the water in an hour, or be nibbled off by tiny minnows.

you dont need or want more than a simple tarp shelter, until at least the first hard frost.  Then you make a dugout shelter, stuffed with dry grass, so that you dont need a fire.  You can't be wasting calories on gathering firewood. That's going to starve them out very fast.

Edited by beatu