Type keyword(s) to search

The Proposal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't watch, but I read a hilarious Entertainment Weekly recap of the first episode, and I was hoping that other posters WERE watching so that I could enjoy the snark-filled posts. Bummer.

I don't know why anyone would think this was a good idea, even by reality TV standards. It'd already been tried once, some one-off special in 2000 on, I think, Fox, in which Rick Rockwell chose and married Darva Conger at the end of the evening and she couldn't wait to get away from him afterwards. It was called "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionnaire."

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't know why anyone would think this was a good idea, even by reality TV standards. It'd already been tried once, some one-off special in 2000 on, I think, Fox, in which Rick Rockwell chose and married Darva Conger at the end of the evening and she couldn't wait to get away from him afterwards. It was called "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionnaire."

The producer of this show, and The Bachelor, was also the mastermind of Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire.  I guess Mike Fleiss and ABC thought nearly 20 years was long enough for people to forget about Multi-Millionaire and the trainwreck aftermath.  Most of the Bachelor contestants and a good chunk of the fans probably aren't even old enough to remember that show or the fallout from it, so why not make another attempt at the concept.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2018 at 7:00 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Maybe Mike Fleiss's shows are toxic shit shows that actively recruit the worst people possible.  I'm surprised more contestants' rap sheets haven't been dug up.

One of the contestants on this season of The Bachelorette has just been convicted of sexual assault. It's hard not to think Fleiss is casting those guys on purpose.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, Wings said:

Hahahaha...so no one is watching.  I stopped by to see what it was all about. 

I took one for the team. Came directly here and saw no forum for it and thought "so I'm not crazy, it was that bad"

How can I say this without being offensive .. I guess I can't. By the look of the contestants (the man and the women) no one who wants to be on the Bachelor thought this was a good idea and they were stuck with a room full of "she doesn't look THAT bad." When Jesse told one contestant she "had nothing to be ashamed of" I yelled "DUDE where do I start?" This show made ARE YOU HOT? look like Shakespeare in the park. I live near train tracks and a wreck stopped right in front my bay window to watch.

• Love 8
On 6/22/2018 at 8:09 PM, Black Knight said:

I didn't watch, but I read a hilarious Entertainment Weekly recap of the first episode, and I was hoping that other posters WERE watching so that I could enjoy the snark-filled posts. Bummer.

I loved that one hit wonder of a show and all the aftermath!  Great viewing.  I think it was called who wants to the marry a millionaire. 

I love this!  Trouble already.  Episode 2 has been cancelled. 

https://tvline.com/2018/06/22/the-proposal-sexual-assault-allegations-michael-friday-abc/ 

• Love 3
On 6/22/2018 at 12:47 PM, meatball77 said:

Background check company fails again. . . . .

It's nothing a background check would have found, since her accusation didn't come out until last week, well after the episode was taped.  She said she told only her close friends and posted an anonymous warning in an unidentified Facebook group.  I guess it's conceivable that someone checking on his background might have found the anonymous warning on an unidentified Facebook group, but I don't think not finding it constitutes a failure.

On 6/22/2018 at 5:00 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Maybe Mike Fleiss's shows are toxic shit shows that actively recruit the worst people possible.  I'm surprised more contestants' rap sheets haven't been dug up.

It's not a rap sheet in this case.  And can you imagine the work that would be involved in investigating all the contestants' Tinder activity?  There aren't enough hours in a day.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Wings said:

I loved that one hit wonder of a show and all the aftermath!  Great viewing.  I think it was called who wants to the marry a millionaire.

According to the internet movie database, it's "multi-millionaire," which, like you, I didn't remember.

But that show is the sole reason I watched The Proposal.  I didn't watch Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire because I thought it sounded stupid, and then the next day everybody was talking about it.  I thought The Proposal, too, was going to be just one show, and I wasn't going to make the same mistake.  Turns out it's a series, it's worse than I could ever have imagined, and nobody's talking about it. 

For those who didn't watch, it was beyond awful.  It's set up like a pageant, but is so badly done that it makes you appreciate the production values that go into what seem like cheesy pageants, which you don't notice until they're not there.  Kind of an interesting phenomenon.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out when a woman is doing the picking, but it was just so awful watching the two finalists making their pitch about love and marriage, to a man they don't even know, even by The Bachelor standards.  One of them had her parents in the audience, and they were hooting and applauding the whole thing.  I think there should be some sort of retroactive CPS investigation there.

There was one exciting moment, though.  When they were down to three women, the amputee cop's best friend took the stage to do some questioning, and he went on about how he's looking forward to having kids of his own, and his cop friend having them at the same time, and having them grow up together or something, and how do you feel about having children?  I rolled my eyes and mockingly blurted out, "Oh, I don't want kids!"  But she answered that she's taken some heat for this stand in the past, but she loves to travel and wants to prioritize that, so she doesn't want to have kids.  I about fainted.

Naturally, she was kicked to the curb in that round.  This was after a contestant was asked if she would have a problem with an amputee (which she needed to be told, since she didn't know him and in fact had never laid eyes on him).  She of course made it sound like she's actively seeking an amputee, which made the #3 finisher's response even more astounding.

Also of note was the final scene, where the two finalists make their desperate plea.  The first one up gave it her best, but then the second one did a much better job and they kept putting the camera on the first one as her face revealed her realization that she'd been bested, by a mile.  Then when they announced the winner, #2 just had to stand there watching the two lovebirds hug and kiss and declare their love, until at some point the camera showed her just walking away. 

Awful.  Just awful.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

One of them had her parents in the audience, and they were hooting and applauding the whole thing.  I think there should be some sort of retroactive CPS investigation there.

Exactly the sort of snark I was looking for! Hahaha!

And cheers to the mention upthread of that true classic "Are You Hot?" If the old TWOP forums weren't all gone, I'd go there right now to bask in the threads for that show. I remember giggling my way through them back in the day, while at work.

• Love 1

I didn't make it through the whole thing. When the gal with her PARENTS in the audience took off her coverup to be "vulnerable" "sorry dad!"

I was out. Too much. Toooo. Much.

Man, this whole show is one big pillow-hiding cringe-fest....I can't...tried, but I couldn't do it.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I watched it, and I'm ashamed to say I'll probably watch it again.  

*hangs head*

I'm in simply to belly laugh at the moron who ugly cries while sobbing that she's wanted to get married, like, since she was three. 

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, Ohwell said:

I watched it, and I'm ashamed to say I'll probably watch it again.  

*hangs head*

OHWELL, wanna come over and watch with me?  Then we can both hang our heads in shame.  I'm embarrassingly enjoying this shit show.  I'm bummed there won't be an episode tonight (but am happy they did pull it for the reason they did).  It was a pure cheese-filled trainwreck.  I actually thought the cop was good looking and I (guessed) picked his final 2 right away.  I did some FB stalking and they appear to be still together.  And she had a video of the both of them in the car singing together, so they seem to be having fun.

Some of the other women though.  The tall one with the Angry Bird eyebrows?  "I use to suffer from depression and anxiety...*points to self in bathing suit*...clearly I'm over it!"  That's not how that works honey.  And the Mackenzie Edwards meets Whoville fake smile 4th placer?  It was nice she admitted to not wanting kids.  The girl who came clomping down the stairs on skates I was sure was going to eat it. 

I had instant flashbacks of ol Darva Conger and Rick Rockwell as soon as they announced this show.  I think the difference here is WWTMAMM was a "get married by the end of the hour" show, where this is just an engagement if you want.  Plus, reality TV was still so shocking back then.  But I remember the creep factor in Rick, he was just so ugly.  And NOT a multi-millionaire to boot.

Surprised to see Jesse Palmer hosting.  He always seems to be one of TB's least favorite Bachelors.  I know he's a football announcer, but didn't think he was really invited back to anything Bach-related (same producers and all).

• Love 5

I was really happy to see someone on national TV admit that she doesn't want children. It's so rare to see someone admit it; but of course she got dumped immediately afterward.

• Love 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

I was really happy to see someone on national TV admit that she doesn't want children. It's so rare to see someone admit it; but of course she got dumped immediately afterward.

Eh, I don't think he was going to pick her either way,. He seemed to like the one he picked right off the bat.

This show is ridiculous. It makes The Bachelor seem normal in comparison. So the contestants don't get to see or know anything about who they're about to get engaged to until they propose/ are proposed to.. and the one who does the choosing chooses who they want to spend the rest of their life with by how the person looks in a swimsuit. And this isn't supposed to make a mockery of marriage? Oh, okay.

Married at First Sight is ridiculous too, but even then I kinda get the premise because after they get married, they have to live with each other for 8 weeks or so and attempt to work at being together. After this show, a majority of the contestants are never gonna speak to each other again and I'm almost positive none of the couples will actually follow  through with getting married. And also, what kind of people sign up to do this show? And why are their parents seemingly okay with it? Are any parents really like that?

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

OHWELL, wanna come over and watch with me?  Then we can both hang our heads in shame.  I'm embarrassingly enjoying this shit show.  I'm bummed there won't be an episode tonight (but am happy they did pull it for the reason they did).  It was a pure cheese-filled trainwreck.  I actually thought the cop was good looking and I (guessed) picked his final 2 right away.  I did some FB stalking and they appear to be still together.  And she had a video of the both of them in the car singing together, so they seem to be having fun.

Some of the other women though.  The tall one with the Angry Bird eyebrows?  "I use to suffer from depression and anxiety...*points to self in bathing suit*...clearly I'm over it!"  That's not how that works honey.  And the Mackenzie Edwards meets Whoville fake smile 4th placer?  It was nice she admitted to not wanting kids.  The girl who came clomping down the stairs on skates I was sure was going to eat it. 

I had instant flashbacks of ol Darva Conger and Rick Rockwell as soon as they announced this show.  I think the difference here is WWTMAMM was a "get married by the end of the hour" show, where this is just an engagement if you want.  Plus, reality TV was still so shocking back then.  But I remember the creep factor in Rick, he was just so ugly.  And NOT a multi-millionaire to boot.

Surprised to see Jesse Palmer hosting.  He always seems to be one of TB's least favorite Bachelors.  I know he's a football announcer, but didn't think he was really invited back to anything Bach-related (same producers and all).

There actually was a new episode although it was labelled as episode one.  My DVR picked it up and I watched the first minute to make sure it was new.  It was a woman seeking men.  

• Love 1
On 6/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

And can you imagine the work that would be involved in investigating all the contestants' Tinder activity?  There aren't enough hours in a day.

That can be easily done with AI these days. The problem is accessing that data since it's supposed to be private.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

And also, what kind of people sign up to do this show?

Very religious divorcees with five-year-old sons and parents who actually participate in this mess, to judge from last night's episode.  Which I think will be my last. It's just gross.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am almost 100% certain that the contestant named Kristen W was a contestant on The Bachelor but I 'll be darned if I can remember which one. Oh and her back story was that she was a virgin.

ETA that this refers to the 7/2 episode where the guy is from New Orleans.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I am almost 100% certain that the contestant named Kristen W was a contestant on The Bachelor but I 'll be darned if I can remember which one. Oh and her back story was that she was a virgin.

ETA that this refers to the 7/2 episode where the guy is from New Orleans.

Scallop Fingers! She seemed like a sweet girl. Maybe third time will be a charm...

Oops, no, he picked the 22 year old college student who warbled a ridiculous song she wrote for him and stood in the "red carpet pose" the entire show.

This show sucks, but I will probably will watch again -- I missed last week and want to see how a guy pageant goes. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, jackjill89 said:

Scallop Fingers! She seemed like a sweet girl. Maybe third time will be a charm...

Oops, no, he picked the 22 year old college student who warbled a ridiculous song she wrote for him and stood in the "red carpet pose" the entire show.

This show sucks, but I will probably will watch again -- I missed last week and want to see how a guy pageant goes. 

YES!!! Scallop fingers! But she got that nickname on the Bachelor in Paradise show. Wish I could remember which Bachelor show she appeared on. Maybe Nick's?

16 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

YES!!! Scallop fingers! But she got that nickname on the Bachelor in Paradise show. Wish I could remember which Bachelor show she appeared on. Maybe Nick's?

15 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I think a dead giveaway that he wasn't gonna pick christen was when he called her the wrong name twice .. if that doesn't scream love , I don't know what does 

Yes it was Nick's season. 

To me it was obvious he was going to pick the young college girl from the beginning. I almost feel like he was told to take Kristen that far by the producers (same ones that do the Bachelor) because it didn't feel like he was honestly that excited about her to me. Like forgetting her name. And my goodness girl how many times are you going to embarrass yourself on this franchise? I felt almost sorry for her as she was scurrying off the stage. That was cringeworthy.

• Love 5

I know I am supposed to find this odd but it is completely weird that the people talk to a hidden person that doesn’t share hardly any info about themselves in the hope of being the one to marry them. I mean really?  How desperate are people?  I know we make fun of the short dating period on the Bachelor but at least they know who they are going for. 

• Love 6

I'm thinking that, or at least hoping that, they have lengthy questionnaires they fill out to make sure that they are on the same page with things before they are even selected as a contestant, because the questions they are asked and what they reveal is so lame and mostly surface stuff -- except for the first episode and the no kids contestant. 

In the annals of tv shitshows, this is in the top 5 of the shitshowiest. What are these people thinking? There's at least a remote chance that someone they know might see them or get wind that they were on. Even after offering every excuse in the book from "I did it as a joke" to "I was just doing it for the exposure," they would never live it down. Only saw the episode with the 22-year-old college student from New Orleans and kept thinking, "What if he comes out and both women think he's hideous?" Can the "winner" turn him down flat? Even for the lowlife that makes up the Bachelor production team, this is a new scraping the bottom of the barrel low. Simply repulsive. 

• Love 3

On that note about what if you don't like the person once they walk out--I got the feeling Kristen was a bit disappointed.  She tried to hide it but her enthusiasm changed a bit, I felt.  He was reasonable looking, but on the geeky side a bit.  Nothing wrong with that, but that isn't for everyone.  lol

(edited)

I thought the guy looked a bit too "mature" for the 22-year-old who, at school, is surrounded by "bro" types. Judging by how she was dressed and her general appearance, there's no way she's anywhere near the point in her life where she's ready to settle down - and with a stranger, no less. The guy was thinking with his little head in picking her, and he probably has as much interest in a longterm thing as she does -- which is none. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 1

I just marathoned all three episodes of this show (I know, I know), and I can't for the life of me figure out what the point is. Was somebody at ABC sitting around one day, mulling new show ideas, and then think, "You know what we need? A show for people who think The Bachelor takes relationships too seriously!"?

And how does Jesse Palmer keep a straight face when he informs each rejected contestant that he/she has "nothing to be ashamed of"?

• Love 3
On 7/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, Hpmec said:

I thought the guy looked a bit too "mature" for the 22-year-old who, at school, is surrounded by "bro" types. Judging by how she was dressed and her general appearance, there's no way she's anywhere near the point in her life where she's ready to settle down - and with a stranger, no less. The guy was thinking with his little head in picking her, and he probably has as much interest in a longterm thing as she does -- which is none. 

Papa didn't like ok too pleased at first.  

I noticed for the first 2 episodes that the first guy/gal picked at the beginning was the F1.  So all the rest of them could haved saved the humiliation and left the stage.

i do think the first couple from ep 1 are cute together. 

• Love 2

This episode has a grandmother (albeit a young one I'm sure) and they have a 22 year old? I'm all for not caring about an age gap but what 22 year old man wants to be an Insta-dad let alone Insta-grandpa???

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

LisaRaye?!

Yep.  I thought her voice sounded familiar when she was behind the screen.  I saw on wiki that she had a lingerie and jeans clothing lines, but I'm not sure how "successful" she is if she agreed to come on a  joke of show like this.  I'll always remember her from The Player's Club.   According to Newsweek, Fleiss tweeted that the couple is still together.  Mkay.

• Love 2

No comments yet?  I can't say that I blame y'all, lol.  Anyway, the episode last night with the doctor, I could have sworn I'd seen the woman he chose before on some tv show.  Maybe she was a C-level actress? 

So far as soon as the women come out on each episode .. I know who the guys will pick right away . It's just so predictable that it's not fun .. we all know which woman the guys are gonna drool over . 

If that decent looking doctor needed to go on this show to find a trophy wife .. theres a problem . 

• Love 1

No comments yet?  I can't say that I blame y'all, lol.  Anyway, the episode last night with the doctor, I could have sworn I'd seen the woman he chose before on some tv show.  Maybe she was a C-level actress? 

I thought the same thing!

• Love 1

I couldn't tell who was going to pick. I wonder if he picked that woman because she seemed to most likely to accept his proposal. 

So the doctor is heart surgeon? That's a really stressful job. No wonder he wants an instacommitment on television.

I wouldn't jump through so many hoops for a person I've never even looked at. Oh, you think they're good looking? Well that's totally subjective. And the generic description gives me very little else to go on.

I agree it seems fake. The applause was just not stop cheering, which makes it seem surreal at best and totally fake at worst. Clearly the idea is to have a totally season of the Bachelor/ette at once in front of an audience. I hope they get in one LGBTQ couple before this show is off the air.