Type keyword(s) to search

Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours To Hell And Back - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jermaine is adorable can I date him 🤣? He seems like a nice guy. But he is clueless and failure to launch complex is strong.

His parents are enabling him. Why get a restaurant for him if he has no experience??? Dumb dumb dumb. 

His parents paying his child support?! 

I read Sobo closed for good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So Sobo closed?   Not surprising.  I figured that somebody else would have bought it .  When Gordon was doing the thing with the 3 competing chefs, I said to my companion that the 2 guys who lost will one day be happy they did.

It was weird that every time the owner's girlfriend was shown , she was labeled "girlfriend of three years".  Why the time of being the girlfriend?  So the tv viewers could yell at the tv "Girl, get the hell out now while you can!".   Just the fact that the guy's PARENTS were paying his child support said a lot about him (and them).  

And again, another fucking clueless idiot who opened a restaurant with no clue about that business at all.    And I just don't get these enabling parents... 

• Love 5
On 2/27/2020 at 8:52 AM, 12catcrazy said:

So Sobo closed?   Not surprising.  I figured that somebody else would have bought it .  When Gordon was doing the thing with the 3 competing chefs, I said to my companion that the 2 guys who lost will one day be happy they did.

The chef they did hire (Michael?) put out some yummy-looking dishes.  

It was weird that every time the owner's girlfriend was shown , she was labeled "girlfriend of three years".  Why the time of being the girlfriend?  So the tv viewers could yell at the tv "Girl, get the hell out now while you can!".   Just the fact that the guy's PARENTS were paying his child support said a lot about him (and them).  

This is petty but puzzling:  Why does this show post ages after the staff names (like "Mildred, 52, Server).  What's that got to do with anything?  But they didn't do it for girlfriend.

And again, another fucking clueless idiot who opened a restaurant with no clue about that business at all.    And I just don't get these enabling parents... 

Watching Jermaine (39, Owner) covering front-of-house was cringe-inducing.  He couldn't recite his restaurant's specials without Gordon whispering in his ear.  And then he couldn't get that right.  Tahiti???

• Love 3

I just watched the SoBo segment this morning. Oh gag me. That owner is not playing with a full deck. Have no idea why the girl friend sticks around with such a loser. Unless of course he is good in bed. He was the most braindead person I have ever seen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

There was something seriously wrong with the SoBo guy. I kept expecting someone to mention how much Jermaine had changed after the accident...but I guess there was no accident.

He reminded me of the Jon Hamm character on 30 Rock all those years ago. Oh so handsome (and a doctor!) but oh so dumb.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

I DVRd it, but I wasn't in the mood yesterday. I'll check it out eventually. 

I just finished watching it. I agree, it was a good episode. I personally like the helpful Gordon more than the berating Gordon. I liked the exterior redo and the fire pit of the little cafe, but I didn't like any of the interior renovations, especially the restaurant. 

I hope these places survive and can reopen. 

• Love 4
On 5/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, Claire85 said:

I loved the “save our town” show. As he said, it wasn’t about dirty fridges and lazy chefs. This was a nice change. 

I agree, although he couldn't resist having a few minutes of dirty fridge thrown in there just to keep things in character.

With that little café/bakery I thought the owner was lucky the show gave her all that outdoor seating so now when restaurants reopen in Maryland for outdoor seating she'll have plenty of it.

I thought Cal Ripken looked like he could be the older brother of the guy that owns the Phoenix.

Did anyone else notice Top Chef's Jamie Lauren on Ramsay's culinary staff?  She will never live down Fabio's famous "This is Top Chef, not Top Scallop" line, LOL.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, Superclam said:

I just finished watching it. I agree, it was a good episode. I personally like the helpful Gordon more than the berating Gordon. I liked the exterior redo and the fire pit of the little cafe, but I didn't like any of the interior renovations, especially the restaurant. 

I agree about the redo's - The chairs in the Phoenix restaurant were better before.  I thought the changes in the café were nice but on the side with the counter it was kind of an apples/oranges change.  No big improvement.  The place with 3 floors actually was an improvement, though, in my opinion.

I hope they can survive too - I can't get over how much bad luck this poor town has had!

• Love 3

The red new chairs in the Phoenix Uptown aren't comfortable; I've been in those before at other restaurants. I was confused by the reno of the Jaxon Edwin; when Gordon got there, he was confused by the function of the first floor, and though they switched out the types of games, the area essentially stayed the same. I totally understand not wanting to put in a kitchen or anything of a ton of value down there, but I was thinking there'd be some sort of bar area or something similar.

But I enjoyed the episode. It was nice to focus more on the feel-good than yelling. Loved the two guys getting excited when Gordon said "Iron Man," and then Cal Ripken showed up.

• Love 2

Was this just a one-off?  I thought it might be the start of a new season but then I saw it was just the next episode continuing last season's numbering, and my Comcast guide doesn't show any more new episodes.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Was this just a one-off?  I thought it might be the start of a new season but then I saw it was just the next episode continuing last season's numbering, and my Comcast guide doesn't show any more new episodes.

I think so. They said last week that it was returning, but last night and next week are repeats. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, Yeah No said:

On 5/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, Superclam said:

I think so. They said last week that it was returning, but last night and next week are repeats. 

https://www.thecinemaholic.com/24-hours-to-hell-and-back-episodes/

The "Save Our Town" episode was filmed February 21-28, just before events started to be shut down stateside because of The 'Rona. If you recall, Mardi Gras was February 25 & went on as scheduled. By St. Patrick's Day March 17th, parades were canceled. I can't imagine they filmed more than a couple episodes after this one.

• Useful 1

Is anyone watching Gordon on NatGeo's "Gordon Ramsay Uncharted" or am I the only one?  I was thinking of starting a thread for it as it's already in its second season right now, but if it's just me then maybe not.

• Love 2
Just now, Yeah No said:

Is anyone watching Gordon on NatGeo's "Gordon Ramsay Uncharted" or am I the only one?  I was thinking of starting a thread for it as it's already in its second season right now, but if it's just me then maybe not.

I'm watching it and really like it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, skipnjump said:

I have been watching this as well as my husband. I was surprised that hubby actually loves it. I like learning about the food of the area. Gordon seems to be enjoying himself. He is the complete opposite of the Hell's Kitchen personna.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2020 at 10:30 AM, Yeah No said:

On 6/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, skipnjump said:

On 6/22/2020 at 12:08 PM, nitrofishblue said:

I have been watching this as well as my husband. I was surprised that hubby actually loves it. I like learning about the food of the area. Gordon seems to be enjoying himself. He is the complete opposite of the Hell's Kitchen personna.

I'm checking it out because you guys mentioned it. Popped in mid-episode when they were eating a capybara pepperpot in Guyana. Next episode, Gordon's in Louisiana & they're hunting nutria. What the rodent is going on!?

8 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

I'm checking it out because you guys mentioned it. Popped in mid-episode when they were eating a capybara pepperpot in Guyana. Next episode, Gordon's in Louisiana & they're hunting nutria. What the rodent is going on!?

I had just watched an episode of "Alone", where the participants ate squirrels and rabbits, then after Gordon I found myself on the Weather Channel watching a show about invading species and how they've affected environments around the country, and you guessed it - one of the species was nutria.  Never mind that right after that watched a repeat of "The Zoo" on Animal Planet where they were featuring a porcupine, so I know how you feel!

On 6/22/2020 at 9:30 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm watching it.  I like it for the most part.  The Sumatra episode has been my favorite so far.  It seemed like Gordan was having a really good time and it was so enjoyable to watch.

• Love 1

I caught an episode of "No Passport Required" on the Create/PBS channel. It's hosted by Marcus Samuelsson. Really excellent! Reminds me of Anthony Bourdain's shows, may he rest. (Oh, I guess this doesn't really belong in this thread...)

Edited by NowVoyager

I’ve noticed a lot of reruns showing up in my DVR lately. Maybe they’re gearing up for a new season? I’m watching season 3 episode 3 with special guests Vincent Pastore and Joseph Gannascoli from The Sopranos.  Hilarious to hear them busting on the restaurant’s investor. 

On 2/9/2020 at 2:48 AM, Yeah No said:

I doubt the restaurant will make it.

They're still open (Halterman's/Seafarer's).

I would imagine they probably benefitted from Lowery's closing down...Halterman's is located between Richmond and Tappahannock (Lowery's). There's not even really any fast food places on that road after a certain point until you get to Tappahannock. 

Halterman's is probably 25 minutes max from Lowery's.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:50 PM, 12catcrazy said:

I guess it was nice to see a restaurant where maybe the food wasn't perfect but at least you weren't going to get poisoned by eating there.   Seemed that there was actually a good sized lunch crowd at the place, and honestly, I liked the original decor better than the makeover.

The restaurant is still open and the owner just appeared on the Real Housewives of Potomac spin-off special (catering one of the Housewives' dinner), so I'm hoping she repaid her daughter because $60,000 of debt PLUS whatever student loans the daughter may have had is too much for such a young woman ---especially when the majority of that debt isn't even for her.

That Jaxon Edward place is closed but I believe the other 2 establishments are still open. The buildings the Phoenix was in is still standing, the county has not torn them down yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1