Type keyword(s) to search

Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours To Hell And Back - General Discussion

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Next week is season finale with 2 episodes.  I need more episodes per season. What happened to hotel hell? It’s not on hulu either.

It's in 2 weeks. Next week is the finale of the Masked Singer. I wonder if it'll be back this summer. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Line cooks who can’t hold knives and chop onions? Oy that’s bad. This family wasn’t that dysfunctional. Gordon looked good as an old man. 

They use a press to make salsa? Wow.

And they recognized Gordon Fucking Ramsay in the disguise! That was awesome. I enjoyed the banter with his "family" this time.

The kids did seem like they were stepping up. However, in the update it looked like it was back to the old menu--with Gordon's creations as "monthly specials." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought that was a good episode, it felt a lot more "authentic" so to speak than the last one.  I liked the family, but thought they should have gotten a better upgrade.  What they really needed was a crash course in Restaurant 101.

I'm not as appalled by them using a cutter to chop onions - why not?  It seems much more efficient, which I would think is a good thing in a restaurant.  Of course, knowing how to use a knife seems pretty basic.

Having Gordon's menu as monthly specials is a good idea - while his dishes look and probably taste great, I think a lot of people are looking for perhaps a little less quality and more quantity,  There is a tavern near us with what I think of as Gordon Ramsey menu - very limited # of dishes, high quality local ingredients, beautifully prepared and served.  But because the menu is so limited (and unchanged for years) we don't go very often.    I think Gordon should make more of an effort to produce more realistic dishes for restaurants, such as this, with a more value-conscious clientele. 

I'm sure there probably are such shows already, but I'd like to see Gordon just pick one restaurant, and spent an entire season working on it, with episodes devoted to cooking, front of house, vendes POS etc.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Having Gordon's menu as monthly specials is a good idea - while his dishes look and probably taste great, I think a lot of people are looking for perhaps a little less quality and more quantity,  There is a tavern near us with what I think of as Gordon Ramsey menu - very limited # of dishes, high quality local ingredients, beautifully prepared and served.  But because the menu is so limited (and unchanged for years) we don't go very often.    I think Gordon should make more of an effort to produce more realistic dishes for restaurants, such as this, with a more value-conscious clientele. 

I agree on the monthly specials idea. I live in a fairly large metro area and we have both types of Mexican restaurants, those with higher end Gordon style dishes and then those with enchiladas etc. The fancy ones downtown are often packed but they have lively bar scenes etc. Then my neigborhood place is also packed but those clients want big plates of enchiladas or chimichangas and I don't see them being as happy if the menu was suddenly five items and high end. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, PugLoaf said:

I agree on the monthly specials idea. I live in a fairly large metro area and we have both types of Mexican restaurants, those with higher end Gordon style dishes and then those with enchiladas etc. The fancy ones downtown are often packed but they have lively bar scenes etc. Then my neigborhood place is also packed but those clients want big plates of enchiladas or chimichangas and I don't see them being as happy if the menu was suddenly five items and high end. 

I guess I agree in concept about offering more quantity, cheaper dishes--but I think Gordon's point was that they're not going to pull in the profits from the cheap dishes as much, and they're already so much in debt. Unless they get hundreds of covers a day--and the place doesn't look that big to begin with so how could they do that? But I really don't know how all that works, if they can really dig themselves out of that hole. 

Something I always forget to ask or mention: how can they get the paint to dry so fast in the dining room? And how can people not smell the new paint while they sitting there eating 24 hours later? I guess television magic is unscented.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/19/2018 at 8:43 AM, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I'm not surprised that in the 3 month after segment things had reverted back to where they were.  Junior was in over his head, and Marco Sr. had serious issues that weren't going to be worked out by a quick chat with Gordon.  Although there was a fair amount of rotted food this place didn't seem to have the absolute level of filth of some of the other restaurants Gordon has visited this season.

Life’s too short to make all of he mistakes on your own. He has the credentials and success to back the advice he gives people.

• Love 1
(edited)

Fake Gordon Ramsey rocks! I want him in every episode.

One thing I liked about the Social episode is we didn't have to see gross kitchen stuff (except for a sneezy line cook.) It was just ineptitude, drama in the kitchen, and bad management.

Edited by zibnchy
to add thoughts
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Fake Gordon Ramsey rocks! I want him in every episode.

One thing I liked about the Social episode is we didn't have to see gross kitchen stuff (except for a sneezy line cook.) It was just ineptitude, drama in the kitchen, and bad management.

I liked that too. The second episode was a lost cause due to the whiny  bitch of a mom/owner. I wanted her to fail so her daughters could go pursue their own lives.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I liked that too. The second episode was a lost cause due to the whiny  bitch of a mom/owner. I wanted her to fail so her daughters could go pursue their own lives.

I'm 100% Team Tiffany. It actually hurt to watch. I believed every word when she said her mother started shutting her out at age 8(!), when her parents divorced. Probably blamed her. Full disclosure, I had a very similar mother (though my parents stayed together). I just wanted to hug those daughters. They can do so much better. They should run.

Could not believe that mom when she started whining about the new decor and how much it would cost her to take it down. That place was kind of a dump. GR's team could only improve it.

I think they should have ended the season with the Social episode. The M'Dear episode left me feeling down.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Court said:

I missed the update if M'Dear. Did she fail? She was a miserable woman and I felt terrible for her daughters.

No. I just watched the episode after reading the comments, and the ending wasn't as sad as I expected. They seemed to have made a bit of progress, or at least didn't slip back. 

At first I was on the mother's side, but I quickly saw how toxic she was. I kind of felt bad for her, even if she made her own misery. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought that was an interesting pairing of restaurants.  The1st was upscale, not really dysfunctional or gross, once they got rid of one of the chefs. I liked the fake cooking contest, it was just a way to get rid of the one chef, the "winner" could have cooked  oatmeal,.  The second  was almost beyond belief in every area (cleanliness, food, staff, family, decor etc).

I absolutely loved the fake Gordon - he obviously studied, as shown by his pronunciation of "pasta."  He was getting deluged with food, and doing a Ramsey (spitting into the napkin etc).  He was great.  I didn't really get the Social redo, though, with all those tiny tables.  Don't more than 2 people ever go out together?  It's not like you can really put those tables together.  I liked Gordon referring to Miss California as "precious," though.  They were all pretty good looking, so the staff pictures looked great.  I wonder, though, why a whole new menu, couldn't they just rework the old one?  Speaking of - way too much black truffle, although I guess that was to justify higher prices.

The second one - I wonder if it actually lasted past the 3 months.  I really didn't like Tiffany at first, but really came to sympathize with her.  What a mother!  I don't think I've ever seen a more negative person on tv - she so clearly needed a vacation, if a personality transplant wasn't available.  Having them bake together, while superficial, was a very good start.  I would have loved to see mom teach the daughters to bake. 

Edited by mjc570
grammar counts
  • Love 6

What odd choices for the finale: one anti-climatic; the other with problems soo far beyond the scope of this show & an owner who is difficult to root for.

Social seemed like a great restaurant that was struggling a bit in an upscale locale where patrons had high standards, were spoiled for choice & had short attention spans. They just needed a reminder to keep their standards high & benefited from the buzz of the show. The now ex-head chef was a little toxic, but I didn't think he was a bad guy. Maybe he just needs to take a break like the former/now reinstated head chef. The wife was surprising: the ex-pageant girl was ready to cut a bitch for her man & embraced a natural look. I thought it was odd they were opening a 2nd restaurant so soon if they were truly "2 slow weeks" from closing. The Grr impersonator was spot on! I just loved him! He had Gordon down! I. Died. Wish they had brought him back for the relaunch or talking heads or something so I could see him more. 

There was so much (too much!) current drama to deal with in the M'Dear's episode, but it lacked background. I just didn't get it. How did this restaurant come to be? I understand the Armenian woman married a Black man, had 2 daughters, was disowned from her family & divorced when the 1 daughter was 8. I don't get how this translates into her knowing how to cook soul food. & I was surprised at the lack of Armenian culture in the restaurant. Yes, she is estranged from her family & extremely hurt by that, but after all these years she still speaks the language. The one patron--- a Black man in tight exercise tops & cornrows was a Lot. His pretty, big-haired companion didn't return for the re-launch. The whole family just seemed so miserable. I felt bad for them. But, I couldn't root for them or believe in them with the mom's bad attitude. It was fascinating that the 1 daughter had such a toxic relationship with her mother, but couldn't/wouldn't leave. The staff worked hard in the remodel tho.

Actually, there was a lot more fake about the Social episode than the fake Gordon Ramsay (who was fabulous by the way!) I lived in Costa Mesa for 9 years and it is not as "well-heeled" as Gordon made it sound. In fact, the beginning of the episode actually showed more of our much wealthier neighboring community, Newport Beach. The area that Social was in is not a fabulous neighborhood...It's a marketing scam known as Triangle Square, which Costs Mesa has been trying to make fashionable since 2001.The reason they did so well the first year is that the owners of Triangle Square cut really great deals for the first year of rent and then start jacking up the rates (which is why Social did so well the first year and then started slipping). Most of the businesses around there only last a few years because the parking and traffic suck and when the restaurant first opened in 2014, the surrounding area had a lot of empty storefronts and homeless people. If the restaurant had been closer to the actual jewel of Costa Mesa, South Coast Plaza, it would have been more believable. I was wondering what the whole thing was about until the end where they said they were opening a spot in Huntington Beach. This was just a way to get some buzz for the new place (Huntington Beach has more tourists and is probably in a better spot) and I will bet some money that the other chef will be working there. I can't blame the owners for running with this but it goes to show how real reality shows are.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

I watched the "Social" episode last night and how refreshing it was not to see mouse poo! Or old grease! Or cockroaches! Well, there was the coughing and sneezing. And FauxGordon spit out his food, ha ha. I kinda find that just as gross as sneezing and coughing. Almost.

I also enjoyed the mini cook-off between OldChef and NewChef.

All in all, good to stray from the script once in a while.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 1:34 AM, NowVoyager said:

There was so much (too much!) current drama to deal with in the M'Dear's episode, but it lacked background. I just didn't get it. How did this restaurant come to be? I understand the Armenian woman married a Black man, had 2 daughters, was disowned from her family & divorced when the 1 daughter was 8. I don't get how this translates into her knowing how to cook soul food. & I was surprised at the lack of Armenian culture in the restaurant. Yes, she is estranged from her family & extremely hurt by that, but after all these years she still speaks the language. The one patron--- a Black man in tight exercise tops & cornrows was a Lot. His pretty, big-haired companion didn't return for the re-launch. The whole family just seemed so miserable. I felt bad for them. But, I couldn't root for them or believe in them with the mom's bad attitude. It was fascinating that the 1 daughter had such a toxic relationship with her mother, but couldn't/wouldn't leave. The staff worked hard in the remodel tho.

I think there's a lot more to that story than we've been let in on.  I felt bad for her when she said she should be retired but because of being disowned she has to work.  That has to have been very heartbreaking for her, and one of the reasons the restaurant and her relationship with her daughters has gone so far downhill.  Then if her husband left her, that's even more devastating.  Being close to that age myself, I know you don't have much time or opportunity to make things right when life has knocked you so far down.  It can make anyone a "negative Nancy".  I think the daughter won't leave because she knows all this and there's a bit of guilt involved.  She's old enough to understand what her mother has been through and show some forgiveness but she still chooses not to let it go.  It looks like the mother is ready to make amends, but she is not.  I feel sorry for all of them.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

I guess I’m a little confused by the timelines we were given because according to the oldest daughter, her parents divorced when she was 8.  She is 41 now.  Her grandparents disowned her mother when she married her father.  That’s decades ago.  So how is mom not able to retire at 65??   There has to be more to the story.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, tabloidlover said:

I guess I’m a little confused by the timelines we were given because according to the oldest daughter, her parents divorced when she was 8.  She is 41 now.  Her grandparents disowned her mother when she married her father.  That’s decades ago.  So how is mom not able to retire at 65??   There has to be more to the story.

I agree that the timeline doesn't make any sense for her finances.  Maybe her family came from money so she was expecting an inheritance or something to retire on? That's the only way I can understand being disowned effecting someone so much financially.  I wasn't disowned but I've been financially responsible for myself since I was 18.  I fully plan on retiring at 65 (only 18 more years to go!!!).  I also didn't start a very risky business, but my point remains the same.  I am not relying on my family to help me retire. 

• Love 3
On 3/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, tabloidlover said:

What was confusing was, she said she was disowned by her family because she married a black man; but she had to have married him over 40 years ago.  So since she was in her mid twenties she's been disowned.  She also said that she sold cakes to local jazz festivals, maybe she should have kept doing that.  I wonder why she bothered to open up the restaurant.  

I think Carrie's problem was she was filled with resentment.  She probably resented her daughter because she reminded Carrie of the husband who left her, and in her mind, caused her family to disown her.  

Why would she even want Armenian culture in the restaurant, wasn't it her Armenian family that disowned her?  I wouldn't want any part of a culture that disowned me.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

New episode airs tonight, 01/07/20 :

"Lowery's Seafood Restaurant"

Lowery's Seafood Restaurant in Tappahannoc, VA, suffers from 2 brothers who can't agree on which one of them is in charge, which causes additional problems as the loyal staff members are unsure of whom to seek out for leadership.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

I liked the first ep of the new season. It was what all these shows should be: good people who have a few bad breaks, get overwhelmed and lose their way. That's the kind of thing you can correct.

So one of the ladies there is 62 years old and has been working there since she was 19??? Wow.

Not surprised the new head chef quit halfway through the opening service. He had zero self-confidence and basically had to be talked into taking the position. Serving food correctly will be more stressful than serving lazily-prepared slop, and not everyone is cut out for it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I guess that area where Lowery's is located doesn't have a health dept or any kind of restaurant inspection agency.   From looking at that kitchen, the place should have been closed down.  And after seeing how disgusting the grill and oven were, I'm surprised that the place hadn't caught fire.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

I guess that area where Lowery's is located doesn't have a health dept or any kind of restaurant inspection agency.   From looking at that kitchen, the place should have been closed down.

This show, Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant: Impossible have collectively convinced me that health inspectors in general are waaaaay to prone to payoffs and whatnot.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I only half-watched this episode, but I was grateful it was airing. I needed something mindless, formulaic, predictable playing in the background while I did other things.

On 1/8/2020 at 6:09 AM, galaxychaser said:

It’s ridiculous that allegedly the restaurant doesn’t know they are are being filmed for Ramsay show.

The restaurants know!

GRR always has these kind of conceits on his shows! It's insulting that he thinks the viewing public is that stupid..... on the other hand, I turn up everytime, lol.

17 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I liked the first ep of the new season. It was what all these shows should be: good people who have a few bad breaks, get overwhelmed and lose their way. That's the kind of thing you can correct.

So one of the ladies there is 62 years old and has been working there since she was 19??? Wow.

Not surprised the new head chef quit halfway through the opening service. He had zero self-confidence and basically had to be talked into taking the position. Serving food correctly will be more stressful than serving lazily-prepared slop, and not everyone is cut out for it.

Oh, is that what happened? Again, I was only half-watching, but I was surprised there was no redemption arc. Usually, if the person has a decent attitude, GRR will offer them training or enough help to get through taping. 

• Love 3
On 1/8/2020 at 6:09 AM, galaxychaser said:

It’s ridiculous that allegedly the restaurant doesn’t know they are are being filmed for Ramsay show.

The restaurants know!

I've thought that too but I've wondered if what they don't know is when they'll get there, what table Ramsay's seated at or who he is at all because of the disguise, so they can't figure out who they're serving what to, but if they do know that they're filming there on that date they still have a general heads up to be on their best behavior food-wise and otherwise.

18 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

This show, Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant: Impossible have collectively convinced me that health inspectors in general are waaaaay to prone to payoffs and whatnot.

I know.  What gets me is that neither Gordon nor Robert have ever addressed this issue publicly (that I know of, anyway).  I don't think they want to get involved, but in essence they're "outing" the fact that health inspection of restaurants is largely a sham.

• Love 5
On 1/10/2020 at 1:06 AM, NowVoyager said:

Oh, is that what happened? Again, I was only half-watching, but I was surprised there was no redemption arc. Usually, if the person has a decent attitude, GRR will offer them training or enough help to get through taping. 

The service started and he did well on the fish but sent out seriously undercooked chicken, leading Ramsay to joke "Why did the chicken cross the road? Because you didn't cook it enough." The chef walked out in tears even though (IMHO) Ramsay's comment didn't remotely justify it. Ramsay followed him out, gave him a pep talk, and it was agreed he would do the fish only, with someone else handling the chicken. His next plate of fish was underdone as well, which led to his walking out for good.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 4
On 1/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

That's why I find these shows so hard to watch. What if you had eaten in that place the day before, when rats were pooping on your plate and slimy, rotten food from years ago was stuck on the grill your meal was cooked on. 

I do wonder how Gordon in his disguise is so obviously being filmed by large tv cameras, and no one in the place, especially the servers/owners, don't seem to notice. Makes me think so much is scripted, "We'll remake your restaurant and menu, plus give you network air time if you let us do a reality show in your kitchen."

• Love 3
6 hours ago, PBnJay said:

That's why I find these shows so hard to watch. What if you had eaten in that place the day before, when rats were pooping on your plate and slimy, rotten food from years ago was stuck on the grill your meal was cooked on. 

I've gotten to the point where I'm verrrry careful about the restaurants I go to.  I stay away from places with a lot of mediocre reviews or that look or smell dated, old or dirty.  Also, after watching Gordon's and Robert's shows I've learned what to look for, which is invaluable information.  Even if you can't see into the kitchen, there are usually signs in the dining room and rest rooms that will indicate what's likely going on in there.  I know one big seafood restaurant in my area that packs people in, but how they could look past the ancient, dirty, dusty, smelly dining room and rest rooms is beyond me.  When I visit Yelp people are always complaining about the condition of the place and the dirty rest rooms.  

• Love 3
On 1/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, Yeah No said:

I've gotten to the point where I'm verrrry careful about the restaurants I go to.  I stay away from places with a lot of mediocre reviews or that look or smell dated, old or dirty.  Also, after watching Gordon's and Robert's shows I've learned what to look for, which is invaluable information.  Even if you can't see into the kitchen, there are usually signs in the dining room and rest rooms that will indicate what's likely going on in there.  I know one big seafood restaurant in my area that packs people in, but how they could look past the ancient, dirty, dusty, smelly dining room and rest rooms is beyond me.  When I visit Yelp people are always complaining about the condition of the place and the dirty rest rooms.  

Yes!--- I love an open kitchen! Who knows: their pantry & refrigerator could still be disgusting.  But at least you know they are not wiping their sweaty brows & using that same towel to wipe down the plates--- like Blend on Main guy did. & repeatedly sticking his fingers in some sauce & licking it. Ew! & Ew! Those are basic hygiene things that even a home cook knows not to do. I must say, I was super impressed with the level of talent in that kitchen! I was less impressed with the new menu: pea puree risotto & beet crusted(?) salmon. Looks like they got rid of those, but kept the halibut. 

• Love 5

Gordon never mentions cost limitations for his refits does he?  I never believe Irvine gets anything done for $10,000 and it's a stupid conceit.  Maybe he personally picks up the excess from his family counseling fees.

24 hours is a far more entertaining show, and I really want one of Gordon's Hellmobiles.

• Love 3

I was so happy to see Chef Lisa at the end of the episode. Glad things are working out for her. Maybe next week we'll meet Phil again.

Ramsey seems way less abrasive this season. He's still an ass but he seems to be slightly more nurturing. I almost like him again. That will probably not last.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Zoe said:

Hahaha, what??? The chef from last week ended up going to this week's restaurant!

I read your comment before I saw the episode, so while I was watching I had no idea what you were talking about until the very end, when I had an "Oh!" moment. 

I'm not at all involved in restaurants, but it was obvious that Phil wasn't ready to run a kitchen. Hopefully Lisa can turn it around. 

• Love 3

I was frustrated with the White Rooster episode as it was obvious to me that the woman wasn't fully concerned the restaurant because she had an investor who put in over $2,000,000!  I thought it was probably the investor who contacted Gordon as he watched his money disappear.  She also seemed to be in to blaming everyone except herself.  I totally believed Phil when he said she was only there 3 days a week.  Plus, the restaurant had only been open just over a year, so not a long-term failing restaurant.  Promoting a line cook to executive chef after only a few weeks?  Treating the workers like family?  Crying about having two children?  Yep, she didn't care as she kept getting bailed out by the investor.  And then she had the nerve to say that she thought the investor would show her how to run the business, etc.?  I would like to tell the investor to pull out now.

• Love 8

Not a single comment on the last episode? To be honest, this show is getting to be a chore for me. Pretty much the same story week after week, and Gordon is really just a jerk. The only GR show I really like is Master Chef Junior, because he tones it down. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Not a single comment on the last episode? To be honest, this show is getting to be a chore for me. Pretty much the same story week after week, and Gordon is really just a jerk. The only GR show I really like is Master Chef Junior, because he tones it down. 

It's beyond formulaic at this point, down to exact dialogue.  Just like most of Gordon's US shows (I gave up Masterchef & Hell's Kitchen years ago).  The owner was more clueless than delusional, so I guess that was a little different cuz it's usually the other way round.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

It's beyond formulaic at this point, down to exact dialogue.  Just like most of Gordon's US shows (I gave up Masterchef & Hell's Kitchen years ago).  The owner was more clueless than delusional, so I guess that was a little different cuz it's usually the other way round.

Yeah, and I kind of liked the little brother. I'll watch a show I don't really like to snark on it here, but since no one does, I'm losing interest. 

Luckily there's still plenty of bad tv for me to watch! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

I don't think Gordon is a jerk - I think that he really wants to help people but he's Gordon F#%&ing Ramsay and that is the persona they have here.   

I guess there really isn't all that much to say about this episode - the room redo was great - the place DID look like a funeral parlor (that look went out about 1970) before Gordon's team worked their magic.    The new menu looked good also - hip restaurants, at least here on Long Island, are getting rid of huge menus - there are only a small number of items that are hopefully cooked well.  

From watching this show, it seems that when children/grandchildren inherit a restaurant from their parents, they had better really have a passion for it or failure is going to be a likely result - especially when you have battling siblings.  

• Love 4