Type keyword(s) to search

Impulse - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was really hot to discuss this show when I binge watched it 2 weeks ago, but now I can barely remember most of it, heh, so here're the brief descriptions from IMDb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6160506/episodes?year=2018&ref_=tt_eps_yr_2018 ).

It was well done, IMO. 

Pilot (1.1) 
When Cleo's boyfriend, Thomas, decides to sell Henry's car, Henry enlists the help of high school basketball star, Clay Boone, to steal it back. But when Henry experiences inexplicable seizures, things quickly escalate beyond her control.

State of Mind: (1.2) 
After a visit with a neurologist, Henry hopes her new meds will fix everything. Meanwhile, Bill Boone attempts to identify his son Clay's attacker.

Treading Water (1.3)
Rattled by her newfound power, Henry tests her ability with the help of Thomas's daughter, Jenna Hope, and fellow outsider, Townes Linderman.

Vita/Mors (1.4)
After finding herself in an unknown place, Henry seeks out Jenna and Townes in search of some answers.

The Eagle and the Bee (1.5)
Left with no one's support, Henry returns to the unknown place only to discover a startling connection to her past.

In Memoriam (1.6)
While Henry returns to Reston with someone from her past, Clay faces some harsh truths about his new reality.

He Said, She Said (1.7)
After Henry and Clay have a fight, Cleo tries to make amends by inviting the Boones over for dinner. But the evening takes a devastating turn.

Awakenings (1.8)
As Cleo fights for her daughter's well-being, Henry battles her own inner demons.

They Know Not What They Do (1.9)
As Henry sets out to find her mother, Cleo navigates an unwanted showdown between Bill Boone and his business associates.

New Beginnings (1.10)
After a heart-to-heart with Cleo, Henry faces a life-altering decision: leave Reston for a fresh start, or stay with the Hope family and confront her enemies.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was really hot to discuss this show when I binge watched it 2 weeks ago, but now I can barely remember most of it ...

LOL right! I wish this board would have been around when the show premiered.

loved this show. Just fantastic imo. I didn't like Henry per se, but I found her interesting. I really hope they get a season 2.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

i was really hot to discuss this show when I binge watched it 2 weeks ago, but now I can barely remember most of it, heh, so

Same here, I had to start the last episode again just to remember what the show was about. Thanks for the recap. I may have to watch all the episodes again just to get to my talking points. One thing that I still don't like, Clay still has not apologized, he prefers to play the victim card despite both his brother and his dad knowing what he attempted. I really like the natural progressions of Henry and Jenna's relationship and Henry and Townes'. In the end Henry saves Clay's life and instead of thanking her, he threatens to out her.

7 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

One thing that I still don't like, Clay still has not apologized, he prefers to play the victim card despite both his brother and his dad knowing what he attempted. I really like the natural progressions of Henry and Jenna's relationship and Henry and Townes'. In the end Henry saves Clay's life and instead of thanking her, he threatens to out her.

Clay is not likeable, but I appreciate the realistic way he is portrayed. I'm glad they didn't have him be apologetic because people who feel entitled to impose their will on others don't generally change. Becoming paralyzed is probably one of the few life-changing events that could make an entitled person not feel so entitled anymore, but first he has to go through all the stages of anger, grief, and loss, and then, still, he is more likely to get stuck in the bitter angry mode, given his pre-paralyzed personality and social status. But a second season could end with personal growth for him if he's not a sociopath, heh. 

One thing keeps nagging at me: Did Henry's mom go off with some guy (presumably to cheat on Tom with after they argued) and the guy was then found dead? 

• Love 3
(edited)

Let's see if I can remember, Henry's mom loves 'em and leaves 'em. She was sort of contemplating leaving her latest guy (Jenna's Dad) or at least hooking up with the guy at the bar. Then Henry's words finally sink in and the next scene, she's shown moving boxes, in what appears to be another boyfriend switch but is really her finally unpacking after deciding to stay with Tom. Are you asking if that guy in the bar was eventually found dead? Shit!! I don't remember that part. I would have to see the episode again. If anybody would kill the bar guy it would be Rennie's character, Nicolai. Although what the motive would be I have no clue. I cannot seem to find an in-depth review of the episode but here's a positive review of what the series is doing right.

‘Impulse’ is a smart take on the high-school superpower drama

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Clay is not likeable, but I appreciate the realistic way he is portrayed. I'm glad they didn't have him be apologetic because people who feel entitled to impose their will on others don't generally change

This is a very delicate topic and I hope I don't offend anyone. It's a situation that is more common than it should be but it's never the actual topic of discussion. One thing I did like the way the show handled  was the whole Clay situation, whether he shows contrition or not, Henry admitted that she kissed Clay and that she wanted to have sex, but then she said no. Her mother understood with clarity, the way the assault transpired. Just saying "No", and to have no say in what happens to your body and to be forced into an act that is not what you want IS rape and the show didn't tiptoe around it. I believe Clay, in HIS MIND, doesn't see it as rape because he felt Henry was willing and that to him, nothing really happened, that's his delusion and he feels what he did doesn't warrant what Henry did to him. Too bad, that's a lesson with a high price. I'm more torn about Lucas' actions. While initially defending his brother, when he found out the full situation, he was disgusted with his brother's behavior. His murder of the Amish boy at the direction of his father showed Lucas to be a boy who simply wanted his father to be proud of him like he was proud of Clay. Who knows what he intended to do to Henry when he wa alone with her in the garage and she was trapped in the trunk of his car. Did he intend to question her forcefully? (probably) He's luck he didn't get a chance to.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I'm more torn about Lucas' actions. While initially defending his brother, when he found out the full situation, he was disgusted with his brother's behavior. His murder of the Amish boy at the direction of his father showed Lucas to be a boy who simply wanted his father to be proud of him like he was proud of Clay. Who knows what he intended to do to Henry when he wa alone with her in the garage and she was trapped in the trunk of his car. Did he intend to question her forcefully? (probably) He's luck he didn't get a chance to.

It seems that the writers didn't have a completely formed idea of Lucas's personality. Forcing a girl into the trunk of a car and murdering someone both shout lack of empathy or, in the vernacular of TV, "sociopath." But then he's mad at Clay for not accepting "no means no" when a girl changes her mind? I'm not sure how that fits.

ETA: I guess Lucas is likely mad because he did those things (trunk stuffing and murder) for Clay and their father, but now it turns out he Clay brought it on himself (more or less--he didn't know when he agreed to help Henry get her car back that he was dealing with someone with uncontrolled, potentially lethal superpowers). 

I can't recall: Was Lucas ever empathetic towards the family who lost their son (who Lucas killed)? 

Edited by shapeshifter
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I can't recall: Was Lucas ever empathetic towards the family who lost their son (who Lucas killed)? 

No, he was not, he was only mad at his father for forcing him to kill an innocent kid. Not empathetic or remorseful, just pissed at his dad. That whole town is filled with questionable characters. Religious folks, (Amish, Luddites?) who manufacture opioids. A sheriff and a car dealer who are complicit in ruining the lives of their kids. The only person who is halfway decent is an Autistic kid who wanted to beat the shit out of Clay when he found out that he assaulted his friend Henry. And a few teens like Jenna and a deputy who wants to do the right thing. Even Henry has morals and saved the guy who raped her when she could've easily teleported to safety.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

I believe he was, but I don't think the writing spelled it out.

He was with the guy's mom at the end though.

• Love 1

The was a press release posted on the futoncritic.com that says 2019. No specific date was mentioned, but clearly Youtube and I have different defintions of soon even if it premieres in January 2019. But shows usually premiere seasons around the same time every year so June 2019 is more likely.

• Love 1

So, I liked Impulse. It turned out to be so much more than its sci-fi pitch, and its unrepentant focus on the emotional layers to sexual assault was really impressive. I don’t know if it was greenlit before or after the #metoo movement began, but regardless, Impulse came out at the right time.

But I am here to rant about how lazy and repetitive the writing is.

I’m all for the symbolism of repeated patterns in storytelling, but Impulse is so effin’ repetitive that… there are four abductions in S1. Two in the same family even—Henry, the daughter, later her mother—both kidnapped by the same guy, Luke. The female deputy was also technically abducted when held at gunpoint and forced to drive; it just happened to be by the DEA. Throw in Henry being pressured into Bill’s car, feeling panicked and trapped when he refused to take her home, and we’re at four. FFS, four, like the writers had no other ideas.

All abductions were carried out in a car, with the woman ultimately escaping the car, because obviously, the entire season is a repeated pattern of Henry’s attack and her escape from Clay’s truck. Scene after scene is a variation on that event, each showing a different outcome.

And for a while, this echoing of the attack is fascinating. It feels like a vindication to see all the other ways that Clay could have behaved besides sexual assault. Clay chose rape, none of the other men with Henry did.

The problem is that in order to stick to the scaffolding of replaying the attack, the writers have to manufacture drama by making the show’s female characters act foolishly.

One example: it’s galling that, days after being assaulted, Henry would get out of her stepsister’s car, stranding herself on the side of the road, to confront her attacker’s brother. Henry’s instinct for safety made her evade Luke at the school and get into Jenna’s car to begin with, but she then strands herself with him?! It’s also not in character for Jenna to drive off, leaving Henry alone with a threatening guy.

And it’s not believable that Henry would then get into Bill’s car after both an assault and kidnapping by his two sons. There’s a lot of manipulation in that sequence—Bill talking Henry into the car and later into blaming the Amish boy, and also of the audience into expecting Henry to use her superpower to escape. It’s standard horror-suspense, especially Henry getting into Bill’s car, but it still makes her behavior seem contrived just to repeatedly put her in danger. And that’s tiresome, even sexist writing.

I’ll check out Season 2, though. I’m interested to see where they go with the characters and larger Jumper-verse.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show had promise but the show's focus on feelings and sex just ruins it but above all that the main character (Henrietta) is so fucking annoying, it ain't funny.  Man, she's a selfish miserable bitch!

Edited by Hiacios
12 hours ago, weyrbunny said:

It's standard horror-suspense, especially Henry getting into Bill’s car, but it still makes her behavior seem contrived just to repeatedly put her in danger. And that’s tiresome, even sexist writing

Yes, and I generally tolerate very little of gratutious damsel-in-distress story telling. I guess I stuck with it here because  the "damsel" was empowered to do the rescuing herself. 

9 hours ago, Hiacios said:

…but above all that the main character (Henrietta) is so fucking annoying, it ain't funny.  Man, she's a selfish miserable bitch!

I'm guessing they made Henry so immature and obnoxious in order to provide room for both growth as a character (e.g., develop feelings of empathy for others and develop some self-critical self awareness) and to allow for several more seasons worth of continued growth. I agree that watching troubled young people navigate the path to independence is not fun; although I appreciated this show, I don't know how many seasons I will stick with it. I only lasted through 2 seasons of Homeland with a similarly afflicted heroine, even though I already loved the actors playing the main characters; here, my jury is still out on the acting. Plus, I've already got three adult daughters struggling to make their way in the world to provide me with dramatic stories—so, yeah, I'll at least start next season, but no further guarantees of my viewership.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:33 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yes, and I generally tolerate very little of gratutious damsel-in-distress story telling. I guess I stuck with it here because  the "damsel" was empowered to do the rescuing herself. 

I'm guessing they made Henry so immature and obnoxious in order to provide room for both growth as a character (e.g., develop feelings of empathy for others and develop some self-critical self awareness) and to allow for several more seasons worth of continued growth. I agree that watching troubled young people navigate the path to independence is not fun; although I appreciated this show, I don't know how many seasons I will stick with it. I only lasted through 2 seasons of Homeland with a similarly afflicted heroine, even though I already loved the actors playing the main characters; here, my jury is still out on the acting. Plus, I've already got three adult daughters struggling to make their way in the world to provide me with dramatic stories—so, yeah, I'll at least start next season, but no further guarantees of my viewership.

It's just like the creators made her character so that she is blind to her own actions and the effect they have on other people. The only people I know of who have a disregard for other people are sociopaths. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Hiacios said:

It's just like the creators made her character so that she is blind to her own actions and the effect they have on other people. The only people I know of who have a disregard for other people are sociopaths. 

Immature humans who will eventually become adults capable of feeling empathy often do act like sociopaths, heh. Given her character's backstory of the unstable home, her behavior could just be the result of having lived in a constant state of being concerned primarily with her own welfare—which probably would, IRL, eventually develop into sociopathy. But then why does she also wind up in a trunk or why does she not decline the ride home from the creepy dad? I sure don't know.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 3:55 AM, shapeshifter said:

Immature humans who will eventually become adults capable of feeling empathy often do act like sociopaths, heh. Given her character's backstory of the unstable home, her behavior could just be the result of having lived in a constant state of being concerned primarily with her own welfare—which probably would, IRL, eventually develop into sociopathy. But then why does she also wind up in a trunk or why does she not decline the ride home from the creepy dad? I sure don't know.

Wow, you know what you're talking about. I didn't even see it that way.

S2.E1 is free on YouTube. 
I’m  hoping 2.2 will be free soon too so I don’t have to jump through hoops to see it. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:40 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Just started season two and Henry is still really hard to like

Yes, but one of my 3 adult daughters is still equally challenging. 
—minus the super powers. 

I’m glad Callum Keith Rennie has a bigger role, but it’s still not much more than a prop/exposition fairy. 

Sarah Desjardins does well with her material. 

Did anybody else have a problem with this last episode?  It was jarring to have the whole story hijacked to give us Nikolai's back story.  I know Henry can be irritating as hell, but I prefer to stay with her story and not get sidetracked.  At least we know that Nikolai has some humanity in him.  I guess the people who are in charge have hooked him to that drug, to keep him in line and to have a hold over him.  It just makes me curious what his mission is.  Is he just a recruiter/HR person who kills errant jumpers?  Is he remembering his early life and trying to guide Henry to a better future than his?

I've only got up to the episode called moroi... But if I'm honest.. I needed  break from Henry... I mean she goes off on her mom.. Who she knows has no idea her former husband was a juniper who got taken.. But still gives her shit... I mean I know its probably some kind of guilt displacement and projection... But 1.4 seasons of her being an ass 90 percent of the time  is just difficult to binge... Hell even her turning the tables on nikholai was annoying when he was just trying to walk her thru her trauma with the truck... 

And she's so shitty to her mom's Boyfriend and his daughter who have been so kind and gracious... For all her shitty attitude her life hasn't been that horrible.. She's basically had a flaky mom and had to move around... Not great or even good.. But until this jumper stuff started with the assault in the truck.. Let's just say other ppl have been thru worse.. I'd say watching your mom die of alzheimers and having to be a rock for your dad is worse... Ugh sorry rant over.. 

I do hope Sarah desjardins character talks to her biceps boyfriend soon.. Poor boy is falling in love.. And it seems like she may not be feeling the same.. To the point of using him as a beard

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I do hope Sarah desjardins character talks to her biceps boyfriend soon.. Poor boy is falling in love.. And it seems like she may not be feeling the same.. To the point of using him as a beard

While I DO get the feeling that Jenna's feelings are not reciprocated for the jock,  I don't have the feeling that Jenna is a closet lesbian.  I must not be paying as close attention as I thought. Although, Townes is driving me up a wall with his incessant chattering, FUCK he's annoying. I seem to tolerate Henry's asshole behavior better than Townes.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

S2.E1 is free on YouTube. 
I’m  hoping 2.2 will be free soon too so I don’t have to jump through hoops to see it. 

YouTube TV announced that all of their Original Programming will be free for some time. I forget how long, but then that report also claimed YouTube TV had something like 20 million subscribers. I gather the writer meant YouTube account holders or Gmail account holders because I doubt YouTube TV has 20 million subscribers.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Let's just say other ppl have been thru worse.. I'd say watching your mom die of alzheimers and having to be a rock for your dad is worse... Ugh sorry rant over.

I can say, I agree with you as far as having seen worse, but they both are alive and have a stupid communication problem,  Henry and her mom are both stuck in their own little worlds and they could both use a jump out of their selfish lives. Both claim to love each other yet can't seem to talk to each other.  When your daughter can't tell you that she was nearly raped, you're clearly doing things wrong. (Unless that's a thing and I'M clueless).  When Henry can't simply sit her mom down and say, "Mom, shit is going down around me and I think Dad knows something, let's talk!"  Why talk about anything else except what's happening now???

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I don't have the feeling that Jenna is a closet lesbian.  I must not be paying as close attention as I thought.

They have 100% implied that Jenna is gay. She clearly had a crush on Paige from Degrassi's character.

I've watched 4 eps so far. It's definitely not grabbing me like s1 did but I still like it. But, yes, Henry is just completely unlikable and it's just really hard to care about her because of it.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

They have 100% implied that Jenna is gay. She clearly had a crush on Paige from Degrassi's character.

A crush on another female means they're gay????  Maybe she just likes her. Naive of me? Perhaps.  She seemed to be unsure of her feelings for "biceps" and she appears to have been a virgin, so my Gaydar is malfunctioning.  Hell, I'm all confused, I started to think Ms. Amish Mom, was going to replace her incarcerated hubby with Lucas and take him to bed.

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Henry and her mom are both stuck in their own little worlds and they could both use a jump out of their selfish lives

Best double entendre!

17 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

When your daughter can't tell you that she was nearly raped, you're clearly doing things wrong. (Unless that's a thing and I'M clueless)

It’s both, so I think you’ve got all the clues. That is, not too many moms have perfect enough relationships with their daughters to the point where the daughters would tell them about being sexually assaulted. 

I was watching episode 2 on a tiny screen. Did Henry taser Nickolai?

19 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Townes is driving me up a wall with his incessant chattering, FUCK he's annoying. I seem to tolerate Henry's asshole behavior better than Townes.

The actor playing Townes is doing a good job of conveying someone "on the spectrum," and I personally find it easy to relate to such individuals.
Henry, OTOH, is a lot like one of my adult daughters who I haven't spoken to in about almost 2 weeks since she was taking her anger and frustrations out on me (verbally), so, yes, I needed a break. I do kind of cringe at Henry's similar behavior, but I'm only up to episode 2.2, so it's not driving me nuts (yet). 

What does bother me about Townes is that the actor is way too charismatic (IMO) for the character. His physicality reminds me of the guy who played Clark in Smallville.

Townes’ glasses are no more effective in conveying social awkwardness than are Clark Kents’.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It’s both, so I think you’ve got all the clues. That is, not too many moms have perfect enough relationships with their daughters to the point where the daughters would tell them about being sexually assaulted. 

Not having daughters I would have thought a daughter would tell her mother if anyone, although my sons get up to some hinky shit and don't tell me, but they DO tell their mother and SHE tells me when she feels like it. So, a long, circuitous route.  I feel for you, Shapeshifter, having three daughters while fulfilling, can be a strain and that's without boys in the picture..  I really wish Henry would confide some more in Jenna.  Those two have a serious chance of filling in their emotional voids with their friendship.  I wish Henry would open up her mind to help from others.  She's a little mentally stupid in that she pushes everyone away even when they're trying to help.  I can understand with Townes and his sidekick mentality and hero worship, but Jenna has only shown concern for Henry and Henry just keeps pushing her away.  The girl tried to kill the man that was trying to abduct her annoying step-sister, show some love, don't be an idiot.

Someone up thread remarked that Henry didn't trust Nikolai when all he was trying to do was walk her through the truck's damage.  I can't say that I blame her.  Nikolai clearly beats her in the teleporting ability and she knows what damage she can do in that truck, no telling what he's capable of and a total stranger to boot who abducted her father.  Nah, I would pass too.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1

Oh, I forgot to answer your question.  Yes, Henry tased the shit out of Nikolai. and yes, I cheered.  I also cheered when Townes wanted to kick the crap out of Coles, for laying hands on Henry.  Townes almost got thuggish!  (That was hard to say with a straight face)

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Useful 1

Just finished ep 8 and fucking hell Henry is so shitty. Cleo sucks too tbh. Team Jenna/Jenna's dad forever!

Like, do they expect us to like and root for Henry? Everything Jenna said about her in that ep was spot on. Same for what Jenna's dad said about Henry and Cleo. They both just suck so hard.

That being said, I am enjoying this season. It's not as great as s1 was but it's still really good.

6 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Just finished ep 8 and fucking hell Henry is so shitty. Cleo sucks too tbh. Team Jenna/Jenna's dad forever!

Like, do they expect us to like and root for Henry? Everything Jenna said about her in that ep was spot on. Same for what Jenna's dad said about Henry and Cleo. They both just suck so hard.

That being said, I am enjoying this season. It's not as great as s1 was but it's still really good.

I still haven't gotten past epi 4... Eventually I'll jump back in.. But if ur already at epi 8 and still complaining about henry's behavior... Geesh 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

But if ur already at epi 8 and still complaining about henry's behavior... Geesh 

She actually seemed to be making some progress but then she regressed. It's getting tiresome. Also, it makes me think we were supposed to be mad at Jenna for finally calling her out because she had made some strides finally when honestly she needs to hear about how selfish she is.

35 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

She actually seemed to be making some progress but then she regressed. It's getting tiresome. Also, it makes me think we were supposed to be mad at Jenna for finally calling her out because she had made some strides finally when honestly she needs to hear about how selfish she is.

Would you mind via spoiler tag or pvt message.. Could u lemme know how Zach and Jenna turn out

I finished. I don't really know what to make of the ending.

Obviously, Anna isn't dead. No body so she's totally alive lol. I wonder where the hell she could be though.

So, Henry's dad really is dead. I don't get all those scenes with him then. Were they like flashbacks? Also, Nikolai said Henry's dad wasn't like her, that he was 'inactive.' That makes me think he was like her and just couldn't teleport for some reason. 

I don't understand what Henry meant when she said, "It was you," to the woman at the end.

Also, Henry still sucks tbh. She's just awful. They really need to have her evolve next season.

19 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't understand what Henry meant when she said, "It was you," to the woman at the end.

Also, Henry still sucks tbh. She's just awful. They really need to have her evolve next season.

I just finished watching this season and I also didn't understand what Henry meant with that.

And I agree about Henry being awful. I thought she was improving and I liked that she and Jenna seemed to be getting along better but then Henry had to screw it all up by outing Jenna to her father.

• Love 1

Just finished the second season and that ending with Fatima and Henry's "It was you" made me go, say what now? But it made me look forward to another season.

Is it wrong that the shot at the end with Jenna going to Cleo and then Henry's note in the foreground made me tear up more than the Henry/Cleo scene?

• Love 1
On 10/23/2019 at 2:11 PM, paulvdb said:

I just finished watching this season and I also didn't understand what Henry meant with that.

22 hours ago, unicorn23 said:

Just finished the second season and that ending with Fatima and Henry's "It was you" made me go, say what now? But it made me look forward to another season.

A friend of mine just finished the season and he thought Henry meant that woman was the owner of the house Henry went to in the s1 finale that had the picture of her dad/mom/herself in it. Personally that makes zero sense to me though lol.