Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

I din't mind Aquaria winning. For a 21 year old, she's a brilliant queen, though I was on Kamron for the win.

Mama Ru needs some Michele Visage tough love regarding her look. It badly needs updating. What Ru wore was as comfortable and familiar to her as me throwing on my sweat pants and top for a special occasion.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

They did a video of where everyone voted for Miss Congeniality and it was crazy. Monet got 3 votes, 4 people got 2 votes each,  3 got one vote each. 

Asia - Voted for Monet

Aquaria- Voted for Monet

Eureka - Voted for Monet

Dusty - Voted for Monique

Monet - Voted for Monique

Kameron - Voted for Cracker

Yuhua - Voted for Cracker

Monique - Voted for Dusty

Blair - Voted for Dusty

Vangie- Voted for Eureka

Mayhem - Voted for Eureka

Kalorie - Voted for Asia

Cracker- Voted for Vixen (this seems soo strategic to me... She ain´t kidding when she says shes salty). Like, we know she is friend with Vixen, but she talked so much on her love for Monet. It seems like a strategy to have a shot to win it knowing that Monet was a competition and Vixen not?..

Vixen - Voted for Vangie (I dont know who had the worst justification, her ,Cracker or Mayhem).

If you wanna hear all justifications:

• Love 4

I don't know... I thought Aquaria deserved to win the whole thing based on total performance, but in my mind, Eureka was the winner of that first lip sync.  Maybe it's just a personal preference but I found Eureka's quiet confidence and quietly ramping up energy to be more effective than Aquaria's high! energy! dance! moves! the! whole! time!  Like, take a breath, girl.  It gets tedious.  

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

That's the "go to" move going back to Sahara Davenporte who saved herself a couple times from the 1st show of Season 2 on! She has one of the most memorable Lip Sync victories going up against Morgan McMichaels to Martha Wash's "Carry on!" Those 2 splits set the trend and even the big girls got into the act going back to S2's, Mystique Summers Madison! ;-)

It always kills me how gagged Ru is every time someone does a split or death drop.  I mean,  it happens damn near every lip sync now.  She should be twice as over it as I am-if not her, then definitely Michelle Visage.  I think it needs to become an unwritten rule like not taking off your wig (unless you got another wig underNEATH it!)  or shoes during a lip sync. It screams desperation, like these splits are starting to do now. 

9 hours ago, aussieinsydney said:

Mama Ru needs some Michele Visage tough love regarding her look. It badly needs updating. What Ru wore was as comfortable and familiar to her as me throwing on my sweat pants and top for a special occasion.

This!  Ru has been serving the same look since "Supermodel." 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mayberry said:

Cracker has her own schtick. I also see it in her YouTube show "Review With A Jew". She has her following and plays up to that. It's not gracious or particularly nice. It's salty and bitter. I saw that in her in her response to Asia in the Reunion and also in the finale when she wore the all black mourning dress. It's all about her.

Geez, cut a bitch a break! Pretty well everything you wrote about poor Crack, having a private moment slumping in a bar, could be said about Aquaria, who was 'salty and bitter' and 'all about her' on stage at the finale, ffs!

Nobody's perfect. Cracker should have made the finale, and didn't because her confidence took a knock. She's allowed to be sad.

11 hours ago, Mayberry said:

There has been a lot of Eureka -for two seasons- and she is exhausting. She has sucked up a lot of the attention.  

One reason I am glad this season is over is at last all the unrelenting negativity towards Eureka will be over. I don't find her exhausting; I find her warm, funny, stoic, kind-hearted, talented, determined, courageous, and refreshing. For the one and a half other people on this thread who also admire Eureka and are sad she didn't win, here is a nice and open-minded interview from EW, with some insights into the finale:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/29/rupauls-drag-race-runner-up-eureka/

“I won in my own way... I gave people of size hope. And I gave myself hope. All I wanted to prove in the finale is that I deserved to be there, and I did that…”

It's a really upllifting read.

• Love 13

I'm very happy Aquaria won, but I did like Eureka. I also liked Cracker and thought she would make it to the finale - her persona is different and I loved most of her looks. This one was a particular favorite: 

1l927etln4x01.jpg

• Love 6
(edited)

I wonder if a aqueria had told been told she would win or if she was just very confident because she just stood there basically while they gave the crown to her. Also is the reason that nobody likes Cameron because she has a kind of dull personality? Because she seems nice? I think that Asia Lip Sync has to go down as the number one worst lip sync in the history of the show. I was gagging over the season 1 contestants they all looked pretty much the same except Shannel just did not even look like herself.  As for the posters upthread who says that Ru should update her look, should Marilyn Monroe have long dark hair and wear pink lipstick? Come on Ru is an icon and is perfect in every way

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I wonder if a aqueria had told been told she would win or if she was just very confident because she just stood there basically while they gave the crown to her. Also is the reason that nobody likes Cameron because she has a kind of dull personality? Because she seems nice? I think that Asia Lip Sync has to go down as the number one worst lip sync in the history of the show. I was gagging over the season 1 contestants they all looked pretty much the same except Shannel just did not even look like herself.  as for the posters UPS read who says that Ruth should update her look, should Marilyn Monroe have long dark hair and wear pink lipstick? Come on Ru is an icon and is perfect in every way

Marilyn is dead, and if she wasn't, she wouldn't have a career of telling people they need to "switch it up" without doing so herself. Ru is indeed a legend, but perfect in every way?  I think not.  JMO

• Love 5
4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I wonder if a aqueria had told been told she would win or if she was just very confident because she just stood there basically while they gave the crown to her.

The crowning isn't real, they film all three of them being crowned and they don't actually know if they won until weeks later, so it's hard to be as excited in that moment as you would be if they actually announced you the winner. I don't like how they do it. They could pretape everything and just cut in the last 5 minutes to a live crowning and it would be far more compelling.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

The crowning isn't real, they film all three of them being crowned and they don't actually know if they won until weeks later, so it's hard to be as excited in that moment as you would be if they actually announced you the winner. I don't like how they do it. They could pretape everything and just cut in the last 5 minutes to a live crowning and it would be far more compelling.

I agree. How strange it must be to have to go through with a fake win, not knowing if you actually won or not! At least they do have footage online of the winner finding out for the first time.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree. How strange it must be to have to go through with a fake win, not knowing if you actually won or not! At least they do have footage online of the winner finding out for the first time.

Do you have a link ? (and sorry if has already been posted. I missed it)

• Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Sure, here's the four finalists watching the finale together! 

Excellent ! Thanks ;)

EDIT : Thanks agan, it's like a small untucked EP ! ;) Yay !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 3
(edited)

That video has me gagged because I never realized that all the winners are taped so that when the show finally airs, the contestants themselves don't even know the winner yet.  VERY cool.

I enjoyed the finale.  For me, the MOMENT of the night was Monique Hart's Meme/GIF/Face Crack moment at the utter fail of Asia's stunt.

Asia really blew it, huh?  Sasha Velour nailed it last year.  But gimmicks shouldn't be all it is to a lip synch slay.

Which brings me to the actual lip synch thing Ru is doing the last two years.  As entertainment ... I LOVE it; poor camera angles/shots and all.

As a seemingly declarative reason for crowning a winner ... I hate it.

For me, the winner should be based on the season as a whole.  And personally, for my aesthetics ... what I'm looking for in amazing drag queens ... it's LOOK first, HUMOR second, LIP SYNCH third, ACTING/SINGING/DANCING capability last.  All close calls in rankings for me, but that's what I look for.  Luckily, Aquaria had allllllll of that, anyway.  

But even though I love Kameron; I really really do {more so than most} ... I'd feel very weird if the lip synch slayer WON RuPaul's Drag Race based on the Finale protocols.  She was great.  But Eureka and Aquaria were just a little better.  And I'm glad Aquaria or Eureka had a better shot at the crown because they really did deserve it.

And yeah, the real winner of this season is still ... Miss Vannnnnnjie.

Edited by filmfan2480
  • Love 5
(edited)

I agree. How strange it must be to have to go through with a fake win, not knowing if you actually won or not!

Very strange. I get that TPTB don't want the winner to be known/leaked before the finale airs, but it robs the winning queen of the genuine delight and surprise they normally would experience with being crowned in front of a live audience. 

Monet will be picked for the next All-Stars, right?

Vanjie!

Edited by jaync
  • Love 3

And yeah, the real winner of this season is still ... Miss Vannnnnnjie.

I'm gonna see Vanjie next month as she is performing at a Pride event in my town (with Alexis Mateo--!BAM!) We never got to see her perform so who knows how she'll be.  I remember thinking she had funny comments the first episode then poof she's gone in a flurry of bad silk flowers.

• Love 3

Finally got a chance to see this after being on vacation.

The winner is not surprising at all and I wasn't even spoiled. The show just telegraphs the winners lately. Granted it isn't as obvious as All Stars but it takes the suspense out of the finale.

Aquaria is a deserving winner. She picked up the pace as the competition went on a lot like Violet. I'm not a fan per se but there is no denying she is talented. The attitude I chalk up to her being 21 and good at what she does already. Plus despite that she has shown that she is open to learning and growing.

Crushed for Asia! I love her....and I love butterflies. What was she thinking!? As others have said even if they had survived the heat and being enclosed they were doomed to die in that theatre once released. That dress was beautiful but it didn't even fit with the song choices for the finale. She actually could have gotten the pop she wanted with confetti shaped like butterflies since she was blowing them into the audience anyway. I was happy to see her address it immediately on IG and I love that she's working with the SPCA now. I would expect nothing less from her.

This was a good season overall despite the predictable outcome. Not as strong as season 6 but close.

My only issue with the show lately is Ru....and parts of the fandom. It's great to preach that the show is a beacon of hope and tolerance but that isn't reality. The fandom is anything but. And despite being about tolerance and acceptance queens and fans are subject to all sorts of abuse and segregation. Ru should actually address this IMO. I know he can't control what fans do but the racist/homophobic/transphobic fans should be called out and told they are NOT part of this community.

• Love 4

The one thing the finale proved is that mi amor Nina Flowers is still the most charismatic, beautiful, gracious queen to have ever appeared on my television. I was riveted to her during her performance, and when she came out for MC, it was magic. I love her so. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, buttercupia said:

The one thing the finale proved is that mi amor Nina Flowers is still the most charismatic, beautiful, gracious queen to have ever appeared on my television. I was riveted to her during her performance, and when she came out for MC, it was magic. I love her so. 

I recently rewatched season one and Nina was so congenial. Not a single shady word or look to ANYONE. And that mug...what a goddess. Love Nina Flowers!

• Love 4
20 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I recently rewatched season one and Nina was so congenial. Not a single shady word or look to ANYONE. And that mug...what a goddess. Love Nina Flowers!

Other than Shangela, the only other truly robbed queen. #sorryboutit

• Love 5
22 hours ago, buttercupia said:

ITA. I so love other queens from other seasons but Nina is just it for me, has been since her first scenes during season one. Locas forever! 

• Love 3

I thought that Asia's Butterfly schtick really took away from her overall look because when she came out the butterfly enclosure on her chest looked like two of those balloons used to make balloon animals and when she took off the cover it looked like she had the bottom of a big plastic Easter egg - the ones that are blue, or pink or purple or some color on the bottom with the clear tops - attached to her chest.

Vanjie!!!!!

I really thought Ru was complete perfection in the finale. It made me feel so blessed and privileged to exist at the same time she does.

On 02/07/2018 at 9:30 PM, filmfan2480 said:

That video has me gagged because I never realized that all the winners are taped so that when the show finally airs, the contestants themselves don't even know the winner yet.  VERY cool.

They even do it for All Stars, even though that's all filmed in the normal studio - there's a similar (albeit fan shot) video of Trixie at the viewing party for the AS3 party. She had no idea.