Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Haunted Hotel 2018.06.26

I love the quirky and whimsical challenges!  It separates the zombie artists from the more adaptable artists.  But...I have to say...one of the most iconic Face Off makeups was the Tim Burton Bellhop.  The synopsis for this episode looks like they're drawing from that well, which sort of smacks of desperation to me.  I think their idea well is going dry, so they're mining previous seasons for ideas. 

That said, I am cautiously optimistic. 

• Love 8

I liked both of the top two looks. Happy that Matt won. Liked the use of cutlery. Liked bits and pieces of others, but the top two stood out.

Bye Yvonne and Kelly. Thought Yvonne would have stuck around and Mel would have been eliminated.

Is the market for the face-testants some horror film projects? That seems to be the main interest and skill set. Artists need to do the gamut of looks. I didn't know that ghosts/spirits would have squared off facial features - maybe if clonked with a square cast iron pan?

On Twitter, I suggested 'edible makeup' look as a challenge.

I did like McKenzie in the role of Penelope - she pulled it off nicely.

• Love 4

Ugh, we're stuck with Mel for another two weeks.  I'm surprised that Yvonne made such a big deal over doing a handyman again.  I distinctly remember the awful one she did last time.  There was so much more she could have done with it and somewhat redeemed herself.  

I was wondering when we'd get a comment about Jordan's static looks.  I love his work but there needs to be more movement involved.  

I didn't like Matt's look.  Too purple and the teeth I thought for sure would have been dinged for looking bad.  This is the first time I've really loved Kevon's look.  His maid was amazing.

• Love 14
(edited)

First, I'm with HurricaneVal, I immediately thought of RJ's Burton-esque bellhop from season 2, which has to be one of the coolest makeups ever done on this show and puts the makeups from tonight's show to shame:

Tim-Burton-Bellhop-by-Face-Off-Designer-

Anyone here who hasn't watched season two, go watch the Burton-esque episode, featuring not one but two iconic makeups. You're welcome.

I'm totally bummed that Yvonne got sent home. I've always liked her - she seems like a genuinely nice person, and frankly her makeup tonight was no worse than Mel's. Damn. I'm thrilled Kelly left (how many weeks too late?), but now Mel is the only woman standing? Sheesh. She'll probably be gone next elimination, since I can't see her sticking through the end, so looks like it'll be a boys' clubs season. Which kinda sucks.

I must be missing something, because I thought Matt's chef looked terrible. The teeth were completely fake looking, not to mention in the wrong spot on the face. The paint job was way too purple, and I don't think the character told a visual story just by looking at it, the way some others did. I can't believe it won its own battle, let alone the episode. Neville didn't seem to like it much either, which makes me feel slightly better. I definitely would've given the win to Kevon's maid.

Why did Jordan think making a giant static mask with a baked-in expression was a good idea? And when did Glenn stop being Mr "Oh noes, a baked-in expression, I shall now smite thee"? I'm actually shocked he liked it. Also, Mackenzie seemed to have fun doing the little skit at the beginning. Her acting's improved a lot from her All My Children days.

And finally, speaking from the shallow end of things, I'm bummed that pretty pretty Matt the model got covered in pounds of latex fat rolls - what a waste!

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 18
(edited)

I'm surprised that Mel got to stay, I really thought she was gone.

Does anybody else wonder about Matt's hair? That has to be the strangest comb over I've ever seen.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 7

I was a bit surprised that Kelly went over Mel given that Kelly's 1. Actually looked like a ghost and 2. You could figure out the concept. It wasn't true to anatomy yes but obviously the judges have a particular trade oriented bug up their butts about that. Plus when Mel said that her maid being strangled and having handprints on her neck was whimsical......that was weird.

*Surprised voice* I actually liked a work of Kevon's. Huh. The model did a good job but was Meghan not available that week? If any part called out for Meghan, that was it.

I'm bummed that pretty pretty Matt the model got covered in pounds of latex fat rolls

That makeup was a bit gross. A little too gross. But he went with it. He also was Yvonne's previous handyman so he has a history of being covered in questionable concepts.

• Love 2

Matt the model always sells the makeups no matter how gross or terrible they are - one of the reasons I’m always glad to see him. IMO Matt, Nayeli and Meghan are the most charismatic models the show uses. I still wish they’d do little bumpers before or after commercial breaks that tell a little bit about some of the regular models - they’re such an important part of the finished makeups, yet the show never gives them any love. If this really is the last season, i’d love to see something like this.

• Love 11

I loved Mackenzie staying in character for the whole intro!  That was the best part of the show!  I also loved that they did that little skit/dance thing with the character makeups.  

So this was the "quirky" makeup episide, so not full whimsical then, eh?  Hence the zombie aspects...I've gotta say a lot of those "ghosts" read zombie to me.

Kevon's maid was spot on though.  Really tight from concept to final look.  Well done.  (And I have to say, a personal nightmare of mine: doomed to clean for all of eternity...).  Matt's chef was too bright, if he'd greyed her out a bit, that would have been perfect.  Jordan's bellhop was more cartoon than anything, but was quite well done, and the closest to whimsical as we got.

Yvonne...sweetie...your handyman sucked.  Sorry.  You totally dropped the ball on that one.  Your other handyman was better.  If Mel had toned down her colors a bit, I think she wouldn't have been in bottom looks.  I actually liked Kelly's concept, and I think it could have been fantastic if she hadn't had that continual crisis of confidence that caused her to redo the mouth three times, muddying and mangling the idea.  It was odd that her appliance didn't fit the model...did she have the wrong mold, or did her silicon shrink?  Speaking of her model, he really looked like a bored jerk when he came in for application day, but he effing sold that makeup for all he was worth, so it just goes to show that first impressions mean squat.

All in all, not a disappointing episode, but nowhere what is hoped for.  I don't think we'll ever see a lyrically excellent challenge like the second season's Tim Burton whimsical challenge.  The bellhop and cello player from that episode remain my all time favorites.

• Love 10

I loved Mackenzie staying in character for the whole intro!  That was the best part of the show!  I also loved that they did that little skit/dance thing with the character makeups.  

I'm going to admit my ignorance of popular culture here but.................. What character was she doing?  I thought she was just being campy.  I loved the little skit too.  

I was hoping both Kelly and Mel would be eliminated but Yvonne's was really bad so she deserved to go.  

I liked Jordan's sculpt right from the start.  I have to agree that it ended up being static but it was the most whimsical and IMO it was well done.

Matt appears to be nice-looking under that mess of hair and beard.  He has intelligent looking eyes and he speaks well.  I cannot understand why he doesn't see how he appears to others and do something to clean up.  Maybe he thinks he's channeling Glenn but it's not working for him.

• Love 2

I would really have liked to see the judges discussion here, because I thought (and from their brief statements I think the judges agreed) that Kevon’s was outstanding.  I guess it’s a good thing the show is ending, killing any chance of me being a guest judge because I thought Matt’s chef should have been in the bottom, based on the factors the judges apparently liked-the colors, misplaced teeth, etc.  I thought damian’s Was way better, I wonder if they held him to a higher standard since he had help.  

• Love 6

It was interesting when the judges gave comments to Yvonne and Kelly that they really didn't have any comments for Yvonne.   I think the judges discussion must have been interesting since they said that it wasn't really a unanimous decision to give Matt the win.   

• Love 1
On 6/27/2018 at 2:18 AM, GaT said:

I'm surprised that Mel got to stay, I really thought she was gone.

Does anybody else wonder about Matt's hair? That has to be the strangest comb over I've ever seen.

I just think Matt is very bald and embarrassed about it. Personally, I think he would look handsomer if he would go on and shave his head but he obviously is not that brave. 

And what kind of shit season is this if we're spending SO MUCH TIME talking about this one's ear holes and that one's comb over??? Man this once great show is going out with a tired ass whimper!

• Love 6
On 6/26/2018 at 11:23 PM, Maelstrom said:

Why did Jordan think making a giant static mask with a baked-in expression was a good idea? And when did Glenn stop being Mr "Oh noes, a baked-in expression, I shall now smite thee"? I'm actually shocked he liked it. Also, Mackenzie seemed to have fun doing the little skit at the beginning. Her acting's improved a lot from her All My Children days.

Thank you!  I know she looked familiar!  Of course now I’m going to be racking my brains trying to remember her character on the show.  I used to LOVE All My Children.  

(edited)

McKenzie's IMDB is here so you can check her names as she appeared in Star Treks as well as in All My Children as Dr. Riley Sinclair.

Way way down on the Google images page there's a picture of her in her Star Trek debut as Rose (uncredited) being held by Jean-Luc Picard 

And for more images (not all her, but Google images is great except when it confounds logic.)

Lots of McKenzie

Edited by enoughcats
faulty link removed
2 hours ago, VintageJ said:

Thank you!  I know she looked familiar!  Of course now I’m going to be racking my brains trying to remember her character on the show.  I used to LOVE All My Children.  

38 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

McKenzie's IMDB is here so you can check her names as she appeared in Star Treks as well as in All My Children as Dr. Riley Sinclair.

VintageJ, Mackenzie played the evil doctor who tormented Annie in the psych hospital when she was falsely committed (and before they ruined her character and made her into CrazyAnnie). I forget when, but maybe mid/late 2000s or so? I think she was on Passions too but I never watched that one.

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

VintageJ, Mackenzie played the evil doctor who tormented Annie in the psych hospital when she was falsely committed (and before they ruined her character and made her into CrazyAnnie). I forget when, but maybe mid/late 2000s or so? I think she was on Passions too but I never watched that one.

Vaguely remember but not sure.  Now that is going to bother me too.  I miss All My Children and One Life to Live.  Sigh.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, VintageJ said:

I miss All My Children and One Life to Live.  Sigh.   

So do I! ?

7 hours ago, diebartdie said:

And what kind of shit season is this if we're spending SO MUCH TIME talking about this one's ear holes and that one's comb over??? Man this once great show is going out with a tired ass whimper!

Very good point. It’s not a positive sign when the unique grooming choices of the contestants are more interesting than the makeups. I almost hope they decide to do another final season to redeem themselves from this season (and last year, too).

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, mjc570 said:

I would really have liked to see the judges discussion here, because I thought (and from their brief statements I think the judges agreed) that Kevon’s was outstanding.  I guess it’s a good thing the show is ending, killing any chance of me being a guest judge because I thought Matt’s chef should have been in the bottom, based on the factors the judges apparently liked-the colors, misplaced teeth, etc.  I thought damian’s Was way better, I wonder if they held him to a higher standard since he had help.  

I think the judges are struggling with the need to, as Mary Berry of The Great British Baking Show puts it, "say something nice" about any of these makeups.  I thought the misplaced teeth on Matt's were terrible, can't believe he won.  And I don't want to hear any contestant on this show say "I don't do beauty makeup"!  What the heck would any of these people do if they had some of the early challenges like camouflaging a model into a painting or having to do young, middle-aged and old-age makeup on sets of triplets?

Totally agree that the bellhop and cello from the Tim Burton challenge are probably the best 2 makeups ever done on the show.  Remember the bellhop popping open the drawer in his chest and throwing a bra over Vee's head?  Good times, sadly lacking from the last few seasons.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 12
19 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Very good point. It’s not a positive sign when the unique grooming choices of the contestants are more interesting than the makeups. I almost hope they decide to do another final season to redeem themselves from this season (and last year, too).

Yeah, I haven't commented once this season (until now), but that's just because i've got nothing to say about those first four episodes. The dueling format could be something interesting, but so far, it's barely more than a gimmick... and if i'm perfectly honest, I kind of struggle taking Glenn's critics & advice seriously after seeing his awful, rubbery Klingons in Star Trek Discovery.

(Mackenzie was pretty good, though)

(To think here, in France, our own adaptation of Face Off, with Tatopoulos on the jury was signed, cast & ready to shoot last year, until the new head of the network it was supposed to air on arrived and killed all ongoing projects at the last minute... *sigh*)

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought the most interesting thing was that Glenn and Ve clearly pulled rank on Neville.  Neville didn’t think that Matt’s deserved to win (i agree with him) but they outvoted him.  That so rarely happens.

Edited by call me ishmael
Although saying “the Glenn” has a certain charm i meant to say “that Glenn...”
  • Love 10

Am I the only one who saw Graham's concierge as a bearded Rif Raf with a disfigured jaw?  It was so derivative to me that I couldn't believe it was chosen over Walter's.

• Love 1

I hope to never have to see Yvonne on my screen ever again.  I'm so tired of seeing her creations that, week after week, all look exactly the same and all look like her!  Every character has the same features and has a face the same shape as hers!  Every week, I wait for something different from her and I'm disappointed.  Bye!

I'm glad Kelly went along with Yvonne and my only disappointment this week was that Mel couldn't join them on the walk out.

• Love 4
(edited)

I liked Kevon's maid enough that I could mentally include it in other earlier, better seasons.  Matt's purple chef was awful, I thought, and for the same reason as Yvonne.  I'd argue that the chef's teeth weirdly sticking out on the outside of his mouth and well above the top lip looked even anatomically worse than Yvonne's stapled mouth.  This is the only time I can remember Glenn saying that the judges' decision on the winner wasn't unanimous.  Has that happened before?

This has been a sadly uninspired final season.  I wish the show could have gone out on a better note.  Aah, for the days of Tim Burton Bellhop, the Cello woman, and puppet ballerina (still my all-time favorite).

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 7
On 30/06/2018 at 7:10 AM, LittleIggy said:

So Glenn is responsible for those “Klingons who don’t look like Klingons”?  Wow.

Glenn & Neville are responsible for Discovery's creatures & make-up effects, yeah.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Kaoteek said:
On 6/30/2018 at 1:10 AM, LittleIggy said:

So Glenn is responsible for those “Klingons who don’t look like Klingons”?  Wow.

Glenn & Neville are responsible for Discovery's creatures & make-up effects, yeah.

Google found pictures of those klingons because I can't be the only one who hasn't fully appreciated that which I have not seen, yet. 

Did the difference get explained?  (I really loved the previous explanation for the tribble time travel when the season one klingons looked different,  Warf was asked and replied in a very affronted attitude "we don't talk about it"

Nah, it wasn't explained in-show (but then again, since the show doesn't fit at all in the established continuity, most viewers I know seem to just go with "it's probably an alternate universe, or something like that").

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

I like the design of the alien crew member Doug Jones plays. 

On 6/30/2018 at 3:49 PM, SnarkyTart said:

I liked Kevon's maid enough that I could mentally include it in other earlier, better seasons.  Matt's purple chef was awful, I thought, and for the same reason as Yvonne.  I'd argue that the chef's teeth weirdly sticking out on the outside of his mouth and well above the top lip looked even anatomically worse than Yvonne's stapled mouth.  This is the only time I can remember Glenn saying that the judges' decision on the winner wasn't unanimous.  Has that happened before?

This has been a sadly uninspired final season.  I wish the show could have gone out on a better note.  Aah, for the days of Tim Burton Bellhop, the Cello woman, and puppet ballerina (still my all-time favorite).

Mine too! I still can’t get over that flocking effect on her face. ?

• Love 4

In agreement with everyone that Kevon was robbed this episode. His concept from start to finish was amazing and executed to perfection. So, of course, Matt wins with a chef with forks stuck in his body and an upper lip of teeth. Good grief.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:22 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I think the judges are struggling with the need to, as Mary Berry of The Great British Baking Show puts it, "say something nice" about any of these makeups.  I thought the misplaced teeth on Matt's were terrible, can't believe he won.  And I don't want to hear any contestant on this show say "I don't do beauty makeup"!  What the heck would any of these people do if they had some of the early challenges like camouflaging a model into a painting or having to do young, middle-aged and old-age makeup on sets of triplets?

Totally agree that the bellhop and cello from the Tim Burton challenge are probably the best 2 makeups ever done on the show.  Remember the bellhop popping open the drawer in his chest and throwing a bra over Vee's head?  Good times, sadly lacking from the last few seasons.

Was it this show, in season 1, where the contestants had to do makeup on themselves to disguise them from their own family in a shop?  The show really is not that creative - it's just create a monster based on different things, and the monsters always look the same.

• Love 2