Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Auditions 4

• Start Topic

I think an extra $25,000 a year would be wonderful.  You could invest it wisely, save up for a down payment on a house, use it for the mortgage and upkeep of the house, while you still work your normal job.  It could help put someone through college or any number of things.  Giving someone a million dollars in a lump sum would be a heavy tax burden and then they have that lottery effect where their whole life is changed and not for the better.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I think an extra $25,000 a year would be wonderful.  You could invest it wisely, save up for a down payment on a house, use it for the mortgage and upkeep of the house, while you still work your normal job.  It could help put someone through college or any number of things.  Giving someone a million dollars in a lump sum would be a heavy tax burden and then they have that lottery effect where their whole life is changed and not for the better.

Yup, I'd gladly take the 25k a year too. But aside from the money, some winning acts have gone on to very successful careers - especially the ventriloquists and magicians. Singers are a dime a dozen, but there are a limited number of successful variety acts out there, and winning AGT does seem to mean something.

Another argument for having an age minimum of this show is that when a 13 year girl wins (Grace Van der Waal) she's years away from being able to launch a meaningful career. And so many kids do focus on showbiz at such a young age are has-beens at 20. (Or go through life with some serious emotional issues).

• Love 3
On 6/22/2018 at 8:42 AM, Johnny Dollar said:

The shots backstage show an awful lot of “real” amateurs who never make it on air.  Does anyone think that they’re there just for show or does everyone get to go onstage at some point?  If I had to sit through all of that I’d volunteer to get blown up in a box.

Those shots are filmed at the open call auditions that take place across the country, where the judges are not in attendance and you just perform for a producer and a camera in a room, and which are also usually a huge waste of time as very few people are picked from those open calls to attend the auditions in front of the judges.

Word on the street is that a lot of the more bizarre-looking acts you see in those shots literally just show up to get on camera, and some people do it every year. Like I feel like there's someone in a dinosaur costume in the background every audition episode of every season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

Those shots are filmed at the open call auditions that take place across the country, where the judges are not in attendance and you just perform for a producer and a camera in a room, and which are also usually a huge waste of time as very few people are picked from those open calls to attend the auditions in front of the judges.

Word on the street is that a lot of the more bizarre-looking acts you see in those shots literally just show up to get on camera, and some people do it every year. Like I feel like there's someone in a dinosaur costume in the background every audition episode of every season.

You and the street are most probably correct.  I'm thinking a lot are frustrated Comic-Con attendees who want to show off costumes wherever they can.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, Johnny Dollar said:

...a troup of six year old dancing hypnotists who used music to escape the mean streets of Pasadena...

LOL! This comment was far more entertaining than anything in the audition rounds so far.  Add: ethnically diverse, gender-fluid and differently abled, and we will have the superfecta of TV talent competition shows. 

On 6/23/2018 at 8:48 AM, bluepiano said:

Yup, I'd gladly take the 25k a year too. But aside from the money, some winning acts have gone on to very successful careers - especially the ventriloquists and magicians. Singers are a dime a dozen, but there are a limited number of successful variety acts out there, and winning AGT does seem to mean something.

Another argument for having an age minimum of this show is that when a 13 year girl wins (Grace Van der Waal) she's years away from being able to launch a meaningful career. And so many kids do focus on showbiz at such a young age are has-beens at 20. (Or go through life with some serious emotional issues).

Grace Vanderwaal has released 2 CDs that have broken into the top 25 in sales, she had a sold out concert tour last winter and is currently touring as the opening act for the Imagine Dragons Evolve tour. She's won a rising star award from Billboard and best new artist from Radio Disney. She also has the starring role in a movie for Disney that films this fall. I look forward to seeing what a meaningful career looks like.

I do agree that young kids in showbiz often have issues, but Grace (and her family) seem aware of the pitfalls and I believe Grace will cope with it better than others.

• Love 1

Howie Mandel is on the talk bragging about Courtney says she is going to win etc etc. 

I’m not sure I can take three thirteen year olds winning in a row. 

I mean Darcy was really talented but i just feel there should be a kids version if this show is going to turn into 13 year olds winning yearly.

25 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

Howie Mandel is on the talk bragging about Courtney says she is going to win etc etc. 

I’m not sure I can take three thirteen year olds winning in a row. 

I mean Darcy was really talented but i just feel there should be a kids version if this show is going to turn into 13 year olds winning yearly.

Personally I can’t see Courtney winning.  I don’t know. Just my opinion. 

This is only the second season that I’ve watched. Last season I fell in love with Darci, Angelica, Celine ... lol ... I’m blanking on the other kids’ names right now.  I’m a sap that way.  

What I want to add though is that there were other adult acts that I enjoyed. Wanted to watch. Cheered on even.  

This year .... not really seeing anything I want to root for regardless of their age.  

LOL ... I think I’ve ended my few posts here with the same thing. “What am I missing?” 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ellee said:

Personally I can’t see Courtney winning.  I don’t know. Just my opinion. 

This is only the second season that I’ve watched. Last season I fell in love with Darci, Angelica, Celine ... lol ... I’m blanking on the other kids’ names right now.  I’m a sap that way.  

What I want to add though is that there were other adult acts that I enjoyed. Wanted to watch. Cheered on even.  

This year .... not really seeing anything I want to root for regardless of their age.  

LOL ... I think I’ve ended my few posts here with the same thing. “What am I missing?” 

I’m not seeing much this year either and he said something like Courtney already has 300 million views on her audition video or something.

• Love 1