Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E26: All That Glitters

• Start Topic

Not much to say since this was such a boring episode, but it was quite jarring to 1.) hear someone call someone else r******* (in a matter of fact way and not to use it as an insult) and 2.) not immediately have the person he said it to call out the person for using that word. And Brandon loves a good bray, so I was very surprised that the second part didn't happen. I know this episode was 20 years ago, but I feel like that word was on it's way out even back them.

I buy Val helping David with his taxes.  My best friend's brother helps their mom with hers and he never attended college of any kind.  Granted, he's using one of those tax computer programs, and maybe taxes were way more intricate before those came out, but still. 

Speaking of David, he's such a dumbass for not wanting to do the commercial.  You can tell this is pre-aughts because now almost every recognizable song ends up in a commercial since it's such an easy way to make some decent money. 

I've gone back and forth on whether I actually believe that Jennie and Tiffani were ever really BFF in real life.  Right now I'm feeling like they found a way to get along after the initial Mean Girl reception Jennie and Tori greeted her with, but the BFF stuff was strictly PR.  Something changed behind the scenes and Tiffani got fed up like Sarah thinks and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. 

• Love 1

There are support programs to help people with mental difficulties get and keep jobs. I'm really not surprised the writers didn't know about them. Thank you ladies [and Dave] for this podcast and for reminding me why I didn't watch this show when it came out. LOVED the birthday list.

• Love 1

I hate being Team Donna here (or ever), but I think the play for Noah should have been to explain to Donna when he gave her the jewelry that it was fake but had a lot of meaning for him. That would have been both honest and very sweet, and she would have eaten that up. Why give her something so special, and then not explain why it's special?! These people are idiots.

• Love 6
(edited)

Val's ability to do David's taxes aside, shouldn't his taxes/finances be more complicated given he had to declare bankruptcy last year re: the PPAD?

I think any Mean Girl-ing Tiffani-Amber Thiessen was getting was probably A factor in her leaving, but not THE factor.  I think, mostly, she looked around and was like, "Okay, I've been here for four years and I've successfully shed the good girl/Kelly Kapowski thing.  And now this show is limping around, even the main star is leaving, so I think it's time for me to try something else."

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Val's ability to do David's taxes aside, shouldn't his taxes/finances be more complicated given he had to declare bankruptcy last year re: the PPD?

I think any Mean Girl-ing Tiffani-Amber Thiessen was getting was probably A factor in her leaving, but not THE factor.  I think, mostly, she looked around and was like, "Okay, I've been here for four years and I've successfully shed the good girl/Kelly Kapowski thing.  And now this show is limping around, even the main star is leaving, so I think it's time for me to try something else."

Honestly, yeah.

By season 9, I'm pretty sure being on such a tired show was starting to look bad. I mean, it was looking like it was full of people who probably couldn't find work anywhere else. Luke Perry crawling back on after his career failed to go anywhere probably sealed that impression. So, when the guy who had been there since day one and who was, arguably, the lead jumped ship, she jumped too. 

Getting away from the show's resident harpies was probably just a bonus. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Kimmykun said:

Honestly, yeah.

By season 9, I'm pretty sure being on such a tired show was starting to look bad. I mean, it was looking like it was full of people who probably couldn't find work anywhere else. Luke Perry crawling back on after his career failed to go anywhere probably sealed that impression. So, when the guy who had been there since day one and who was, arguably, the lead jumped ship, she jumped too. 

Getting away from the show's resident harpies was probably just a bonus. 

It also looks bad that the people who joined the show as much as I like Daniel Cosgrove and Vanessa Marcil are more known for their works prior to 90210 than 90210. Cosgrove even when back to daytime soap operas while Marcil actually did better with Vegas but not by much IMO.

9 minutes ago, deliciousscones said:

It also looks bad that the people who joined the show as much as I like Daniel Cosgrove and Vanessa Marcil are more known for their works prior to 90210 than 90210.

It's kinda interesting.  I'd wager Tiffani-Amber Thiessen - and Kathleen Robertson, probably -  looked at it from a daytime soap mentality - they'd do a few years on 90210 and that would launch them to the next level.  While Daniel Cosgrove and Vanessa Marcil came from daytime soaps and needed basically to do that time again on a primetime soap.

And it's funny - I did not care for Matt particularly, but I liked Cosgrove whenever he popped up after that.  I LOVED him/his character/his pairing the last year of ABC AMC.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RosieRose221 said:

AND I SAW A COPY OF JP'S MEMOIR ON A SHELF AT...WAIT FOR IT... THE DOLLAR TREE LOL

Oooh! Maybe our hosts can get a copy for the literature segment, or does it not matter since he’ll be gone soon?

Sidebar- I just remembered Vanessa starred in a Prince video in 1994 (and maybe dated him?) which was a huge deal at the time. Weird that she didn’t make a bigger career leap.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/archive/vanessa-marcil-vol-43-no-18/amp/

• Love 1
  1 hour ago, deliciousscones said:

It also looks bad that the people who joined the show as much as I like Daniel Cosgrove and Vanessa Marcil are more known for their works prior to 90210 than 90210.

It's kinda interesting.  I'd wager Tiffani-Amber Thiessen - and Kathleen Robertson, probably -  looked at it from a daytime soap mentality - they'd do a few years on 90210 and that would launch them to the next level.  While Daniel Cosgrove and Vanessa Marcil came from daytime soaps and needed basically to do that time again on a primetime soap.

And it's funny - I did not care for Matt particularly, but I liked Cosgrove whenever he popped up after that.  I LOVED him/his character/his pairing the last year of ABC AMC.

exactly! i always refer to Vanessa as Brenda bc i was a huge general hospital fan back in the days of Brenda and Sonny

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kerfuffler said:

I hate being Team Donna here (or ever), but I think the play for Noah should have been to explain to Donna when he gave her the jewelry that it was fake but had a lot of meaning for him. That would have been both honest and very sweet, and she would have eaten that up. Why give her something so special, and then not explain why it's special?! These people are idiots.

Yeah, if you’re giving someone a Meaningful Gift like that, perhaps share why it’s so meaningful! The way Noah does is makes it seem like a)he’s trying to pass the jewellery off as real diamonds and only tells her because he gets busted or b)it’s a mean relationship test. Donna clearly interprets it as the latter and thinks she has failed. Nice job on the gift front, Noah. 

Funny how these people always knows someone: Brandon knows an iceskating guy and Val knows a jeweller. But I guess it’s more believeable than when Dylan knew a hairdresser who owed him a favour? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nanna said:

Yeah, if you’re giving someone a Meaningful Gift like that, perhaps share why it’s so meaningful! The way Noah does is makes it seem like a)he’s trying to pass the jewellery off as real diamonds and only tells her because he gets busted or b)it’s a mean relationship test. Donna clearly interprets it as the latter and thinks she has failed. Nice job on the gift front, Noah. 

And even if it had been real, didn’t they just have the “stop fixing things with your money” convo like a week ago? Plus, the inappropriately expensive gift post-rape trial has Kobe Bryant written all over it. 

• Love 4
On 19/06/2018 at 7:16 AM, Nanna said:

Funny how these people always knows someone: Brandon knows an iceskating guy and Val knows a jeweller. But I guess it’s more believeable than when Dylan knew a hairdresser who owed him a favour? 

Brandon knowing the iceskating guy makes sense.

Brandon goes skating a lot and that's how he knows the guy. That one makes sense out of any of them.

• Love 1
On 19/06/2018 at 3:12 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Val's ability to do David's taxes aside, shouldn't his taxes/finances be more complicated given he had to declare bankruptcy last year re: the PPAD?

I always wondered what would happen if Brian left since he looked done as well. 

If Val can do taxes just after college...then how come she doesn't have a good job? Stupid show. 

I had to chime in on the commercial thing. My neighbor had a MINOR part in a Chevy commercial- it was his forearm. He made something like $80K in residuals for that. For his ARM. Every time they aired that commercial he got paid.

Dumb David wouldn't even have to put it on blast that he did the commercial... it's not like jingles get credit. I hate these stupid musicians on TV who refuse to "sell out". And why can't he be freaking gracious to Val and just say "no thanks" vs. a douche?

Ugh, Kelly is such a bitch! I just can't even. Why is Val hanging around this people? They all sided against her at the trial... just find new friends.

What's the countdown to Priestly goodbye?

• Love 4

I read an article a few years ago about musicians who record music for commercials anonymously so they can make money and still keep their cred. But a friend of mine's band had a song in a commercial maybe even around this time and they were able to pocket money for themselves AND buy a new tour van soooo yeah David, you're a fucking idiot.

I always thought it was weird that the show didn't get canceled when Brandon left, considering the whole show was originally about this family that moves to BH from Minnesota. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall in whatever meetings they had where they decided to keep renewing this show after the college years. I might have to look up the ratings for it and see if maybe I'm just a crackpot and people were actually in love with this garbage.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, yousetmeupyoucrud said:

I read an article a few years ago about musicians who record music for commercials anonymously so they can make money and still keep their cred. But a friend of mine's band had a song in a commercial maybe even around this time and they were able to pocket money for themselves AND buy a new tour van soooo yeah David, you're a fucking idiot.

I always thought it was weird that the show didn't get canceled when Brandon left, considering the whole show was originally about this family that moves to BH from Minnesota. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall in whatever meetings they had where they decided to keep renewing this show after the college years. I might have to look up the ratings for it and see if maybe I'm just a crackpot and people were actually in love with this garbage.

This reminds me of when I was an exchange student in Japan and shocked as hell to see famous actors like Brad Pitt doing beer commercials.  

I think later on they refer to “The Walsh house” even when no freaking Walshes love there.  I think Kelly’s Doormat lives there.  Wtf?! 

I realize that I may be shouting into the void here, but I just watched this episode as I recorded it off a recent airing on Pop.

David, there’s no shame in Armpit Music. If he was really that savvy, he should have considered it a bridge to a longer-term working relationship with the director.

(Incidentally: People on this show sure talked about “selling out” a lot, didn’t they?)

• Love 2
On 4/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, ivygirl said:

I realize that I may be shouting into the void here, but I just watched this episode as I recorded it off a recent airing on Pop.

David, there’s no shame in Armpit Music. If he was really that savvy, he should have considered it a bridge to a longer-term working relationship with the director.

(Incidentally: People on this show sure talked about “selling out” a lot, didn’t they?)

I sometimes liked David , but he acted like such a brat sometimes . He got an offer to play music for a commercial On tv and was complaining that he’s above it . You’re 22, fresh out of college and you’re getting offered a commercial . I’d say that’s pretty dang good . 

• Love 3