Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Hasta Barista, Baby!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Whatever the hell “silver service” is, I have never seen anything about the way Hannah serves and describes food remotely emblematic of a first class dining experience. With two staff members working a table of six diners, the service should be exquisite—yet her table always looks sloppy, there are always delays between courses, her affect with guests is unprofessional, etc.  Hannah would be laughed off the floor of any random NYC restaurant. 

Edited to add:  they seem to be using “silver service” to mean high falutin’ and fancy. It actually means serving food at the table by transferring it from a service dish to the guest's plate from the left, using service forks and spoons. (As opposed to slapping down a full plate, Hannah-style.) Safe to say such service is well beyond the talents of Kasey who appears to have difficulty ironing a napkin. 

Edited by TV Glotzer
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, TV Glotzer said:

Whatever the hell “silver service” is, I have never seen anything about the way Hannah serves and describes food remotely emblematic of a first class dining experience. With two staff members working a table of six diners, the service should be exquisite—yet her table always looks sloppy, there are always delays between courses, her affect with guests is unprofessional, etc.  Hannah would be laughed off the floor of any random NYC restaurant. 

Agree.  I'm not a Hannah Fan.  At all.

• Love 3

I loved it when the primary's wife said she would take Kasey's outfit and become the third stew and Brooke and Jamie not wasting a breath piped up. "Yeah, you can actually!"

1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Agree.  I'm not a Hannah Fan.  At all.

I'm not either and always thought Kate could run circles around her.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Hannah shouldn't be gossiping about Kasey.

This.

7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I good a giggle out of Colin chatting with his Mom about pizza. She sounded surprised that he liked the NYC version better. Sweet that she was worried that he was eating well but he is in Italy. The home of delicious food. 

It took me back to my grandfather, who was from Sicily.  At Halloween we would have pizza and salad because the moms had tons of kids to dress.  When the doorbell rang my grandpa would argue with the pizza guy.  "That's not pizza, my mama she made pizza".  We get it!  He has been dead for 35 years and we still yell it to the pizza guy.

8 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Or me. And when hiring, I've never assumed anyone's resume is "embellished."

Me either!  Why would you lie?

52 minutes ago, TV Glotzer said:

Whatever the hell “silver service” is,

see here.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, TV Glotzer said:

Edited to add:  they seem to be using “silver service” to mean high falutin’ and fancy. It actually means serving food at the table by transferring it from a service dish to the guest's plate from the left, using service forks and spoons. (As opposed to slapping down a full plate, Hannah-style.) Safe to say such service is well beyond the talents of Kasey who appears to have difficulty ironing a napkin. 

It's Adam who plates the food not Hannah. So we can't put that on her but she could be better at serving and describing the food. Kate and her staff perform "silver service" when Ben or the chefs plate it that way. 

But I agree with you about Hannah, I've always found her lacking since season 1. She's got nothing on Kate in any department.

6 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I thought it was telling that given free rein with no dietary restrictions or limitations of ANY KIND, Adam turned out pretty unimaginative food.  Seared Ahi Tuna.  Cioppino with pasta in a -- gasp -- bowl!  Steak with creamed spinach and potatoes.  It looked fine, I'm sure it tasted great but it was boring.  Hell, it wasn't even as exotic as beef cheeks!  You could get it on any cruise  ship.  I do miss Ben.

I was thinking the same thing.  Garlic chicken breasts.  Potato salad.  Green salad with Italian dressing.  Spaghetti.  Carrot cake with - wait for it.....cream cheese frosting!  The guests seemed to enjoy it, but man, it’s not exactly fine dining.  Such a difference from Ben’s level of expertise.  I miss him, too.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

It's Adam who plates the food not Hannah. So we can't put that on her but she could be better at serving and describing the food. Kate and her staff perform "silver service" when Ben or the chefs plate it that way. 

Has there been any sign that Adam gives Hannah enough detail to be able to describe the food better?

I could have sworn that there was an entire season where Hannah was arguing with a chef (don't remember which one) about writing out menus so they had something to use to communicate to with the guests.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Giselle said:

It’s hard to know what’s really happening because it’s a cheesy reality show that’s engineered to portray drama, but an experienced server monitors his/her tables (in this case only ONE) and informs the kitchen to “fire” the next course as diners are finishing up the previous course, to maintain pace. It’s a basic skill of being a server, at which Hannah claims to be a world-class expert. Even if Adam is slow at plating, she should know by now to factor that into her timing. Excellent servers know how to manage their kitchens as well as their tables. 

Edited by TV Glotzer
  • Love 4
(edited)

Kasey was a pageant girl right? She might not know how to do laundry or make a cocktail but she should be a pro at being charming even if she has  mouthful of puke.  Unless the pageant thing is fake too? Say it’s not so? Over tanned bad yellow hair dye did not runner up for Miss New York? Shocking.

Edited by EssieMay
Typo
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Giselle said:

Sandy really likes ass kissers and she loves the smooches they give her, she's thirsty for affirmation,  but then she gets bent out of shape when she sees that she has been played

She's going to dislike Hannah even more when she watches the season and see's Hannah and what's his name doing it in her bunk with the other crew member trying to sleep below! 

• Love 3

and another silly question: the guests walk up the dock, hand in hand, unencumbered. Then the captain says the deck crew will bring their luggage on. Where was the luggage? 

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

This has been bugging me. What is this thing on the wall? I've seen the stews slide the little "things" in-- what are they?

IMG-4642.JPG

It's a dispenser for the Nespresso capsules ;)

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

It's a dispenser for the Nespresso capsules ;)

Thanks; I'm a french press girl myself so have never seen them. I have seen K-cups at B&B's and they don't look like that so it didn't occur to me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Thanks; I'm a french press girl myself so have never seen them. I have seen K-cups at B&B's and they don't look like that so it didn't occur to me.

You're welcome.

Signed : Diane, born in NestléTown (aka Vevey. Yes, for real, lol !)

• Love 5
12 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

It’s hard to know what’s really happening because it’s a cheesy reality show that’s engineered to portray drama, but an experienced server monitors his/her tables (in this case only ONE) and informs the kitchen to “fire” the next course as diners are finishing up the previous course, to maintain pace. It’s a basic skill of being a server, at which Hannah claims to be a world-class expert. Even if Adam is slow at plating, she should know by now to factor that into her timing. Excellent servers know how to manage their kitchens as well

Yes, agreed, Hannah is lacking in her side of dining/kitchen management but I was speaking mainly of silver service in my post.

The choice of vessel for a dish to be served is up to Adam and not Hannah unless a guest requests a meal requiring SS. Adam ultimately decides if it is to be silver service or pre-composed plates that go out, or a buffet.

Hannah may know of world class service but I've never seen her perform it. She has always been very sub par to that level of service. 

• Love 2
(edited)

If you've seen a dinner scene on Downtown Abbey or similar, you've seen silver service. It's not defined by the way food is plated, it's an overall standard of practice, with many rules. Food can arrive in a serving dish or already on the plate, what matters in the manner in which it's served. More details here.

If I were a guest on a yacht, this is the standard of service I'd expect. My guess is that's what you'd get on most yachts that aren't chartered by Bravo. Neither Hannah's staff nor Kate's provide anything resembling silver service.

Edited by Passing Strange
Punctuation
  • Love 4

Didn't Kate get really frustrated with Jen last year on Below Deck (Original Version) because she wasn't serving from the correct side, wasn't serving ladies first, etc.?  All the seasons of BD and BD: Med get mixed up in my mind.  

• Love 3

I am not a high-end gal, and I think I would prefer Adam's meals to Ben...simple proteins cooked with good sauces and as much as I can eat!  Yummy.  I remember Ben the Gourmet Chef serving Log Cabin Syrup for a breakfast in a previous season and my Vermont soul cried out in HORROR.  Real maple syrup or NOTHING.  I mean, I get that it's hard to provision maple syrup while you're actually on the High Seas; that's why you order three gallons BEFORE you leave the US.  Kasey is a dolt.  She snarked to Brooke 'Silver service?  What, there's bronze, silver, gold service? What does that even mean?'  Even sweet Brooke looked like she couldn't believe what she was hearing.  I hate lazy, dumb, entitled princesses who think they don't deserve to spend their time doing laundry.  Oh, and Princess, getting a psych degree at Long Island Community College isn't exactly rocket science, you know?  It's not Harvard Pre-Med!

• Love 7
15 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

It’s hard to know what’s really happening because it’s a cheesy reality show that’s engineered to portray drama, but an experienced server monitors his/her tables (in this case only ONE) and informs the kitchen to “fire” the next course as diners are finishing up the previous course, to maintain pace. It’s a basic skill of being a server, at which Hannah claims to be a world-class expert. Even if Adam is slow at plating, she should know by now to factor that into her timing. Excellent servers know how to manage their kitchens as well as their tables. 

OMG thank you!

1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

Real maple syrup or NOTHING. 

I don't even get why ANYONE would not get real maple syrup.  The ingredients are:  maple syrup.  Anything else and it is fake.  With real maple syrup you don't need a lot.

2 hours ago, Giselle said:

That's mean!

At least wet rags are useful.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.........................

• Love 2

I don’t think Hannah has stated that they are doing silver service, just that she assumed someone who stated they were silver service trained would be able to set a table and be experienced in serving people and not be flummoxed by two guests being up and needing to wake her up.

• Love 11
(edited)

Sandy is hustling for her Bravo paycheck - I think her nastiness toward Hannah and tongue baths for Kasey and Jaaaow are for drama.

Not scripted: Hannah's propensity for being a victim. And inappropriate drunken sex.

Poor Jaime is enduring the nonsense, and lack of camera time, and drowning her misery in chocolate milk.

Why can't we see more of the hilarious deck hand, who gets so little camera time that I can never remember his name?

Even with appreciative guests and freedom to cook what he wanted, Adam was a disgruntled drama queen.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Even with appreciative guests and freedom to cook what he wanted, Adam was a disgruntled drama queen.

It was like he just felt like bitching re: the guest clearing the dishes. It's not like the guests were up there banging their spoons on the table yelling "We Want Dessert!" "We Want Dessert!" (Unlike "We Want Nuts!")

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

It was like he just felt like bitching re: the guest clearing the dishes. It's not like the guests were up there banging their spoons on the table yelling "We Want Dessert!" "We Want Dessert!" (Unlike "We Want Nuts!")

Not to mention it wasn’t like the guest helping clear speeded up the process by more than a few minutes and Adam hadn’t even started plating so it isn’t as though they have this incredibly tight service schedule that they follow.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Giselle said:

At least wet rags are useful.

Not in Kasey's hands they're not!

I am so glad someone asked about that wall wiggle thing.  But it always looks like they're putting something in, not taking it out?  My guess was a thing that saved champagne corks to count how many were used, but no matter what, it seems to take up more space than necessary (why does it have to wiggle?) which seems silly on a boat!

Wow, Captain Sandy has so much spite for Hannah, that she's willing to look incompetent just to stick it to her. If you hate Hannah, fine. If you want to give Kelsey a pass, fine. But if you make a concerted effort to start complimenting her and rewarding her BECAUSE she lied on her resume, you look like an idiot.  I get the whole, "Fake it 'til you make it" cliché.  Here's the thing, though, you need to keep faking it. If Kelsey lies on her resume to get a job, then gets the job, you'd think she'd take SOME time to prepare for what she lied about. Her defense that, "I gave it to a friend to do and didn't even look at it" is actually worse than lying on her resume, imo. It shows how little she cares about this job. And if Captain Sandy really thinks Hannah is the problem and Kelsey is doing a good job, then demote Hannah and promote Kelsey.  Give Kelsey more responsibility and see how the next charter goes. So far this season there have been some ups and down with the guests, the food, and the deck crew, but the one consistent throughout the whole season is that Kelsey can't do her job. For once Jao (spelling?) made a good point. Ultimately, the captain has all the power on this ship and Kelsey is now a reflection on Captain Sandy, NOT Hannah.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think Hannah has stated that they are doing silver service, just that she assumed someone who stated they were silver service trained would be able to set a table and be experienced in serving people and not be flummoxed by two guests being up and needing to wake her up.

Right, she never has.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

Not in Kasey's hands they're not!

I am so glad someone asked about that wall wiggle thing.  But it always looks like they're putting something in, not taking it out?  My guess was a thing that saved champagne corks to count how many were used, but no matter what, it seems to take up more space than necessary (why does it have to wiggle?) which seems silly on a boat!

It's a coffee pod wall hanger

Google it and you'll see a ton of pintrest  & Etsy pics. Amazon has a few too. There are more streamline versions available.

Edited by Giselle
It's been a looong day. Happy Solstice!

As a woman, Kasey is an embarrassment. She has an over inflated, overentitled sense of self esteem when, in reality, she is a rather mediocre looking young woman with a bad dye job and nice tits and ass, who is used to flaunting her body for attention, so that people don't see how useless she Actually is. I doubt when she was photographed in a bikini wearing a flower crown, anyone was looking at her mad stew skills. 

It was mind blowing to hear she had someone embellish her CV and she had no idea what was even on it! I mean, WHO does that?!? And when she said putting Barista and  Service on her CV made her seem 'like some super human' or however she worded it, I nearly spit my drink! I guess in Spacey Kasey World, knowing how to make coffees and serve dinner formally is akin to graduating from MIT with a doctorate in quantum physics or something...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Wow, Captain Sandy has so much spite for Hannah, that she's willing to look incompetent just to stick it to her. If you hate Hannah, fine. If you want to give Kelsey a pass, fine. But if you make a concerted effort to start complimenting her and rewarding her BECAUSE she lied on her resume, you look like an idiot.  I get the whole, "Fake it 'til you make it" cliché.  Here's the thing, though, you need to keep faking it. If Kelsey lies on her resume to get a job, then gets the job, you'd think she'd take SOME time to prepare for what she lied about. Her defense that, "I gave it to a friend to do and didn't even look at it" is actually worse than lying on her resume, imo. It shows how little she cares about this job. And if Captain Sandy really thinks Hannah is the problem and Kelsey is doing a good job, then demote Hannah and promote Kelsey.  Give Kelsey more responsibility and see how the next charter goes. So far this season there have been some ups and down with the guests, the food, and the deck crew, but the one consistent throughout the whole season is that Kelsey can't do her job. For once Jao (spelling?) made a good point. Ultimately, the captain has all the power on this ship and Kelsey is now a reflection on Captain Sandy, NOT Hannah.

Who's Kelsey?

• Love 1
On 6/20/2018 at 10:26 PM, LotusFlower said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Garlic chicken breasts.  Potato salad.  Green salad with Italian dressing.  Spaghetti.  Carrot cake with - wait for it.....cream cheese frosting!  The guests seemed to enjoy it, but man, it’s not exactly fine dining.  Such a difference from Ben’s level of expertise.  I miss him, too.

I agree - Adam's culinary skills seem pretty pedestrian.  Most of the menu items he served these guests (who, I thought, wanted him to be adventurous and innovative) are things that I easily prepare in my own kitchen for weeknight dinners, and I am, by no stretch of imagination, a CHEF!!  

• Love 5
(edited)

Sandy rode into S3, the chip on her shoulder just catching the breeze. She was the STAR,  Hannah “duped” her last season and she was going down.

But Joao, who has made his entire season about misogyny and disrespect, kisses her ass just right and how dare Colin point out Joao’s glaring creepster factor:

DDED94C2-F080-471A-A464-5C413BED638D.jpeg

1CD89970-B1B1-40F3-AF98-AFC7AD58C8A7.jpeg

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 4
(edited)

Wtf, Sandy. Seriously WTF. “What if one of these crew members commits suicide?” Because Colin accurately pointed out in a humorous way that Joao was being creepy?

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 17

Joao behaves like a sexual predator, there's nothing wrong with another man, Colin, calling his stank ass out publicly. Sandy is more concerned with her BravHo job than calling out misogyny happening right under her clueless nose. She's a real piece of work...

• Love 13

Dude, Sandy is a real piece of work.  I didn’t like her that much last season (I can’t stand micro-managers) but this season...  Ugh. She is one to preach about praise and lifting people up when all she does is tear Hannah down for stuff that isn’t even her fault. 

• Love 10

Here's Sandy tweeting out that she's disappointed in him for saying something about a member of the crew - Sandy - what do you think you were doing with this tweet?! If you were really concerned you could have messaged him (and all the others) privately saying that you wanted them to be positive to each other - and if you were real leader you could have instituted that through the season and from before it started to air.

• Love 18
(edited)
On 6/21/2018 at 7:34 PM, Giselle said:

It's a coffee pod wall hanger

Google it and you'll see a ton of pintrest  & Etsy pics. Amazon has a few too. There are more streamline versions available.

Yeah, I did see the explanations upthread--sorry I wasn't clear.  It just always looks like they're putting them in, not taking them out, and I think it's weird that they don't have a streamlined one on a yacht of all places.  Especially since, as you explain, streamlined ones exist.  It just seems wasteful of space.  

Edited to add:  I already liked almost-invisible Colin the best of any of them (yes, even gamely trying to rap, ha).  Now I like him even better!  And "crushing people?"  Joao is, like some cockroaches, uncrushable, alas!  

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 3

Kasey should have been let go once she couldn’t get her sea legs. She’s pathetic and I would be ashamed and appalled if my kid got caught lying on her cv.  Very poor form. And I don’t find her pretty in the least. 

I would love to see Hannah working a level below Kate and see how that goes.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Kasey should have been let go once she couldn’t get her sea legs. She’s pathetic and I would be ashamed and appalled if my kid got caught lying on her cv.  Very poor form. And I don’t find her pretty in the least. 

I would love to see Hannah working a level below Kate and see how that goes.  

Unlike Bugsy, I don’t think Hannah would accept a lower position when she’s most comfortable and qualified to be a chief stew. 

• Love 2

Sandy's a douchebag. She really  likes the guys who blow smoke up her ass. Look at Bobby from last season, JWoWW this season. As long as someone  strokes her thirsty ego she finds no fault, not even when she finally sees their bad behavior.

She calls out the only guy with back bone to call it for what it is. Obviously something Sandy has shown she's incapable of especially of doing when it involves those giving her a verbal blowjob.

I don't respect her at all.

I wish Hannah would call her out and let her have it at reunion.

• Love 11

This. I was so confused why Adam was getting so mad at Hannah about the guy clearing plates. Hannah told them (granted without much conviction) that guests aren't supposed to do that. Did Adam really think these nice, silly, easy-going guests were suddenly going to start complaining that dessert was five minutes later than originally planned? He's acting exactly like Sandy, he's just finding reasons to be pissed at Hannah.

• Love 9
On 6/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, FrankieTankie said:

Hannah is an ultra bitch .... she’s that kind of person that talks shit behind someone’s back to everyone else to get the crew to turn on Kasey ... don’t get me wrong Kasey shouldn’t of lied but who doesn’t embellish their resume to stand out in the hiring process. Kasey isn’t the brightest person but I think she’s trying but that bitch Hannah doesn’t care she’s gonna do everything she can to make Kasey look like shit even more instead of trying to coach her up like a good leader would ... Hannah is ugly inside and out 

Except that Kasey went way beyond "embellishing". Saying that you've worked 10 high-end charters (whatever they're actually called) when you've only worked 8- that;s embellishing. Saying that you're Silver Service trained when you don't even know what that is- that is straight-up lying, and that's a real problem.

At this point, Kasey's real issue seems to be more about her unwillingness to work hard. Maybe being so cute is enough to get you by on day charters, but at this level, everybody's got to get elbow-deep in the nooks and crannies, so to speak. It's an entry-level position, so keep your nose clean, follow your chief stew's lead, and learn and work really hard. 

And Hannah. I don't blame her for being angry, but it was obvious a few charters ago (okay, maybe not the first one since she spent most of that one with her head in a bucket) that Kasey needed more guidance. It's not the end of the world, she just needs more hand-holding than expected. She's part of your crew for the season, so suck it up and make she ends the season a better stew than when she started. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Saying that you're Silver Service trained when you don't even know what that is- that is straight-up lying, and that's a real problem.

Hell as someone who spent a lot of time as a barista, it’s not necessary on this yacht but her saying you put the pod in the machine and you are barista trained is annoying. Anyone can easily learn it and it’s not an active skill they are using on the yacht but it’s more than putting a pod in.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

At this point, Kasey's real issue seems to be more about her unwillingness to work hard. Maybe being so cute is enough to get you by on day charters, but at this level, everybody's got to get elbow-deep in the nooks and crannies, so to speak. It's an entry-level position, so keep your nose clean, follow your chief stew's lead, and learn and work really hard. 

The fact that the girl didn't know diddly about laundry, like separating whites from colors etc., tells me that she's been coddled and treated like a princess by her parents her entire life.  It also tells me that Bravo or the charter company or both (however that works), had little interest in her actual qualifications, just whatever drama she could provide for the teevee show.

In my opinion, so far, she hasn't provided anything beyond something for Hannah to gripe about.  <yawn> 

eta - How does one get through college without knowing how to do laundry?  Maybe she attended a school close to home?

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 6/19/2018 at 6:56 PM, FrankieTankie said:

Hannah is an ultra bitch .... she’s that kind of person that talks shit behind someone’s back to everyone else to get the crew to turn on Kasey ... don’t get me wrong Kasey shouldn’t of lied but who doesn’t embellish their resume to stand out in the hiring process. Kasey isn’t the brightest person but I think she’s trying but that bitch Hannah doesn’t care she’s gonna do everything she can to make Kasey look like shit even more instead of trying to coach her up like a good leader would ... Hannah is ugly inside and out 

They all, Hannah & Captain Clueless included, did the same thing to Danny in season 1. He was the only crew member besides Ben that I liked. Danny was a screw up sometimes but they all really had it out for him.

Edited by Giselle
The truck needs gas.
  • Love 1