Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Russian Navy

• Start Topic

Desna’s relationship with Ruval deepens when he introduces her to his mother, Matilde. Polly grows concerned when Marnie continues to pull away from her. Meanwhile, Jenn, still depressed by Bryce’s recent indiscretion, falls off the wagon. After Uncle Daddy disrespects Zlata, he finds himself on the receiving end of Zlata’s twisted wrath.

Did anyone else think those young girls were being trafficked?

Jenn is working my last nerve. Give Bryce some time to get over your affair. Desna was right it wasn't just an one night stand it was an affair. Granted Bryce played a part in the affair happening. 

• Love 16

This episode is full of weird moments, here are a few:

Jenn covered is Cheeto dust just like the Cheetos commercials.

Crooked cop in the back seat feeding Uncle Daddy's boyfriend.

Russian mobster lady holding the fisting dildo up to her nose, rubbing on her face and ultimately leaving with it.

• Love 4

Absofrickinlutely. I have no doubts about that.
My recording cut out a few seconds before the end with Desna and Gregory cooing at each other on the phone. I was very certain the pull back shot would be of creepy Dr. Greg prepping one of those young girls for some surgery or maybe checking the state of her virginity prior to selling her, but I guess that would have been a horrifying step too far even for this crazy show. I'm sure we're going to revisit the topic of those three "saved" orphans. Me no likey.

• Love 8

Lol at that Father Knows Best fantasy with all those kids. Desna's hair was amazing. But then things had to go so dark. Yikes.

What, wait? Sheryl Lee Ralph is not old enough to be Ruval's mother. (Wow. Per Wikipedia she's 61, and the actor playing Ruval is 49 per IMDb. So yeah, she's too young but geez, all praise to the gods of melanin.)

The chyron running under the Jennifer vs. Bryce debate was hysterical. "JENN'S MOM DID BRYCE LIKE A POPSICLE"

Roller has a name for his peen. Of course.

Vodka tampon? Ugh and ow.

Glad we didn't have to see Dean dancing at the strip club. I don't know how that possibly could be made funny.

The doctor is in! And he has a very nice butt for a guy pushing 50.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MsFlibbles said:

Yes, definitely. I was thinking they ought to have looked more scared, but maybe they still think something good is happening. (shuddering; must they go there?)

Not looking forward to Desna learning the truth about Ruval. I give Roller some credit for trying to tell her. I guess she has to get more deeply invested to extract the most drama from the reveal. Seems for every positive, something terrible comes with it: she and Dean are finally in a big, beautiful house, but they're sharing it at the whim of a crazy lady <-- likewise with having more money; Desna doesn't own her salon anymore either. I want something genuinely good to happen to her!

44 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Glad we didn't have to see Dean dancing at the strip club. I don't know how that possibly could be made funny.

Maybe he'll turn out to be the best dancer of all. I'd rather see that (and Desna's pleasant surprise) than him being bad at it.

• Love 3

Oh my God, the Bryce vs Jenn debate was amazing! The running commentary at the bottom (including favorite food at Dennys!) was cracking me the hell up the whole time. I think that Jenn should give Bryce some time to get over the affair, and then try to make it work again. They both messed up bad, but Jenn was the one who had the full on affair. 

Those poor little girls are totally trafficked. I also suspect that "mom" is either a long term girlfriend, or mom in a "godmother of crime" kind of way. Or if she is his mom, she is totally in on his criminal empire. I give Roller some credit, he at least tried to warm Desna off, and he does seem to still care about her. In his own skeavy way, but still. 

Zlata is just so...much. She can be such a good time one second, and full on scary the next. I love how she really seems to be fond of Desna, but isnt at all above threatening her to get her on her side. Her bonding with the corrupt cop was just great. "There arent tiger in Siberia...anymore." 

• Love 7

I appreciate how Toby and Clay's relationship has been handled.

They aren't presented with disgusted ridicule, unnecessary fetishism or creepy voyeurism.

They're just two mature adults, in a mutually consensual relationship, who both happen to really enjoy sex.

• Love 5

he at least tried to warm Desna off

AFAIC he didn't try hard enough. He should've just told her. Odds are she might not have believed him and of course if she asked Ruval he would likely deny it.

Maybe he'll turn out to be the best dancer of all. I'd rather see that (and Desna's pleasant surprise) than him being bad at it.

Even if he is amazing at it, the subtext will still be "can you believe someone with autism can do this?" And does Desna really want him exploited by Zlata if he does turn out to be a big hit? I hope the show doesn't go there but they probably will.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

AFAIC he didn't try hard enough. He should've just told her. Odds are she might not have believed him and of course if she asked Ruval he would likely deny it.

Yeah, admittedly I don't watch this show SUPER closely, but... why can't he just tell her?? Did I miss something?

I didn't even think about the fact that those girls may be part of a trafficking ring.  The pseudo-incest was disturbing enough.
I wish Desna followed her instincts and took a step back from Ruval.  Zlata has to know who he is, right?

I don't understand why Jenn keeps saying her hookup was "a one-time thing".  Everyone knows she's lying, I guess that ties into her unusual alcohol intake method.
The great debate with the promo pics was hilarious.

It will be interesting to see more of Polly's background.  A twin sister, that she doesn't contact? 
I hope she'll stop lying all the time, that's probably why the girl she's taking care of isn't connecting with her.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort, but those PTV recaps are too damn long.  They're exhausting to read.

I listen to the podcast recap during my morning commute.

• Love 1

I'm not sure who she was trying to "do," but Polly's accent as the debate moderator was hilarious.

Speaking of age differences, does no one get creeped out by the fact that the actors playing Dean and Virginia are 25 years apart in age?

• Love 3
(edited)

Somehow, Dean's and Virginia's (or the actors who play them) age differences don't bother me. I realize Virginia is a younger woman but she's still an ADULT woman, so that's enough for me. As for the show itself, ANYTHING GOES, and I love it. You'll never know what to expect and that's the beauty of it. I was thinking we'd learn by the end of the episode that Madame Matilde is not Ruval's mother, but perhaps his lover/business partner. That didn't happen! Does this man really feed his own mother strawberries with her seeming to enjoy it? EEK! Jen got drunk via alcohol to her vagina? Lawd! She's an addict, plain and simple. Niecy Nash (Desna) said in an interview that we'll see more character development this season. We're seeing exactly that. Quiet Ann has a daughter named Sophia, while Polly has a twin sister named Lillian. I suppose we'll see Carrie Preston (Polly) pulling double duty by also playing Lillian later this season. I assume Lillian will be a stark contrast to Polly; like a flashy rich bitch who dresses in tacky, loud, colorful attire. I'm also waiting to meet Jen's prison ex (and Brianne's daddy). Taye Diggs please!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, J-Man said:

I'm not sure who she was trying to "do," but Polly's accent as the debate moderator was hilarious.

Speaking of age differences, does no one get creeped out by the fact that the actors playing Dean and Virginia are 25 years apart in age?

Initially, when the actor portrayed someone with autism, it resulted in the vibe of a younger (less mature) person, imo.  Now that his autism is being scrubbed more with each episode, that may become more of a factor.  Or maybe not. The age difference is not an unheard of phenomenon.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I loved that Desna was second-guessing this asshole all on her own, so the ending bummed me out a little. I guess it's necessary for dramatic tension though?

i thought she was smarter than that. getting your boyfriend so horny he fucks you on the spot is not solving any of your real problems. i was like "wtf?" how is everything ok now?!

• Love 2
On 6/25/2018 at 4:45 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh my God, the Bryce vs Jenn debate was amazing! The running commentary at the bottom (including favorite food at Dennys!) was cracking me the hell up the whole time. I think that Jenn should give Bryce some time to get over the affair, and then try to make it work again. They both messed up bad, but Jenn was the one who had the full on affair. 

I wonder how many takes it took for the actors to film the debate. You know they were breaking character a few times. 

• Love 2

I hate that Bryce & Jen's fight is so one sided.

Bryce has every right in the world to be angry about Jen & Hank's affair, but the show has completely put the onus of their relationship troubles on Jen, when Bryce is equally at fault for the current state of their relationship.

Jen definitely needs to own the affair, but she certainly isn't the only one who is avoiding accepting their rightful share of culpability in that relationship.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch the whole episode, and I am more in love with this show than ever. 

As tacky and crass as Zlata is, she's kinda right about a lot of things.  I sort of hate myself for saying that, but she makes some valid points.

Jenn's relapse was incredibly well written and sad.  As a recovering alcoholic I've told several people that to this day THE best thing I've ever felt is that feeling when the alcohol hits you.  She nailed it.  I am always touched by the little things that show how well and how long Jenn and Desna have been friends.  When Jenn warns Virgina to 'run' and when Desna calls Jenn 'black' and Jenn says she loves it when she does that.  They are like real life ride or die friends who love the hell out each other enough to embrace each other's worse sides as well as the good parts.

Mama is a weird situation and I'm thinking it will be Dean who points out whatever it is that makes Desna see the light. 

Polly is so much fun I love her scenes.  That debate was just hilarious, particularly when the 'panel' gave their opinion on Jenn's claim about a 'one night stand'. 

• Love 4
On 6/25/2018 at 1:55 PM, Dee said:

They're just two mature adults, in a mutually consensual relationship, who both happen to really enjoy sex.

Probably the first and only time we'll see Clay called a "mature adult". 

• Love 3