Type keyword(s) to search

S14.02: Destination Videos 2018.06.17

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Brookside said:
On 6/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, margol29 said:

Sorry to quote the whole post for this one sentence.

When you copy the post you're quoting, you can click inside it  and delete the extraneous stuff.  Took me a while to realise this!

As one of the mods showed me, you can also highlight just the part you want to quote, and a little "Quote This" pseudo-button will pop up.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/19/2018 at 7:39 PM, dewelar said:

Well, the science geek in me is now forced to point out that inertia is technically correct, because it means resistance to change in state (Newton's Laws of Motion and all that), and her forward movement has been slowed/stopped by these events. It's only usage that has turned the word "inertia" into a synonym for "not wanting to move" and thus made it confusing. Still, these days only a science geek like me would know that :) .

I'm not a science geek, but I did study physics, and Amy was complaining that her inertia had been stopped.  I remember Newton's laws of motion--correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not looking this up--defining inertia as a body at rest tends to stay at rest.  If Amy had been cheering that her inertia was stopped; i.e., that now she was back in motion after being at rest, then she would have made grammatical and physical science sense.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I remember Newton's laws of motion--correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not looking this up--defining inertia as a body at rest tends to stay at rest.

That's half of it, yes. The other half is that a body in motion tends to stay in motion (or, more precisely, it will continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed) unless acted upon by an outside force -- e.g., friction...or evil producers or something. The term "inertia" covers both conditions.

Edited by dewelar
Clarify
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, dewelar said:

That's half of it, yes. The other half is that a body in motion tends to stay in motion (or, more precisely, it will continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed) unless acted upon by an outside force -- e.g., friction...or evil producers or something. The term "inertia" covers both conditions.

Thought that was momentum.

There's a reason I was a liberal arts major.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

There's a reason I was a liberal arts major.

Just as there are reasons I wasn't :D .

(Oh, and momentum is the force of the moving object...sort of...but now we're talking about Newton's Second Law...)

(Sorry, I'll try to stop now.)

Edited by dewelar
I just love clarifying, don't I? Ugh...
  • Love 1

Thank you for not making me be the physics police and having to point out that if Amy could have been thought of as moving forward steadily at a consistent rate then it would be technically correct to say that she no longer had inertia (although I don’t think you can say inertia has stopped since it is a state of being). Momentum is clearly the better term and what she meant. It doesn’t matter-I hate her anyway.

• Love 3
On 6/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, meowmommy said:

IIRC, it was actually "mushmouth," but either one fit him nicely. 

Aaron was alternately called either one back in the TWOP thread that season and on this blog.  Saw it on the Internet Wayback Machine. Miss those days!  It made me remember that not only Adam but Kelsey Nixon got a show on the Cooking Channel from that season, only hers didn't air until a couple of years later.  I haven't heard about her in a few years and saw on Wikipedia that her show ended in 2013 but then she had another one in 2015 that lasted 6 episodes.  I wonder why they never let her on Food Network.  

On 6/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I find Katie so incredibly nails-on-a-blackboard detestable that it seems certain she'll go far just to spite me.

Why was Katie bossing around like that this episode? She resembled a 5-year old graduating 4-year-old kindergarten.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, meowmommy said:

I'm not a science geek, but I did study physics, and Amy was complaining that her inertia had been stopped.  I remember Newton's laws of motion--correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not looking this up--defining inertia as a body at rest tends to stay at rest.  If Amy had been cheering that her inertia was stopped; i.e., that now she was back in motion after being at rest, then she would have made grammatical and physical science sense.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:22 PM, dewelar said:

Inertia - the tendency to do nothing or remain unchanged.

That’s probably what she meant.