Type keyword(s) to search

S14.02: Destination Videos 2018.06.17

• Start Topic

Giada must have gotten our memo about her boobs hanging out, so she decided to wear her grandmother’s kitchen curtains this week in the opening segment. But, she couldn’t stand being contained. Damaris’ blue hole-in-the-shoulder outfit wasn’t much better. They need to hire a professional wardrobe person.

Christian looked like a kid who didn’t get picked for T-ball, those pink shoes....then he chose the Alaskan cruise reject wardrobe for the presentation. The judges loved him, in spite of his poor wardrobe. Palak has a horrible vocal fry that I cannot listen to. She’ll never win this on that alone.

The judges loved Katie. But...her outfit looked like something out of the Adams Family Disco Den. Jess.... you lost me at poor mom. Adam..... snooze.....go away, please. He should be tearing it up by now but as we know, his show hosting attempts have already been cancelled long ago.

The “second-hand” team did so much better in my opinion. Amy, however, should know better than to just handle the food. And she laughed with Damaris’ critique!! She also wore Giada’s curtain dress!!  Jess... shut up. Samone was the true one weak link on that team, nerves got the best of her, she lost her story. She admitted her faults, bless her.

Blaise... the comb-forward curly-cue look doesn’t fit your face. You should fire your hairdresser. Or lose 20 years. Or stop trying to be a hipster. Because you ain’t hip. Especially with old man facial hair. Just For Men could be your friend.

F4282ECC-86B5-4FD8-A9B1-3CD534D81D6C.jpeg

• Love 5

So why did they say Rebekah didn't choose to discuss a food outside of her comfort zone, yet the same was not said of Katie from Mississippi with chicken and waffles??  And what the heck was Katie wearing at the elimination??

• Love 6
1 minute ago, smiley13 said:

And what the heck was Katie wearing at the elimination??

See my post. LOL

Adams Family Disco Den reject. That was the most inappropriate outfit, ever. Giada must be picking out her wardrobe for her.

• Love 5
(edited)

Who knew "My mother was so poor in Madagascar she ate rats" wouldn't go over well?

Crazy Miss Savannah continues to be crazy. I forgot to eat again. Sorry Samone.

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 7

I would have sent home Manny just for saying the pizza crust was buttery and flaky when it was clearly a thin crust pizza.

Simone let the podcast challenge rattle her for the rest of the day, and why was there no mention about Rebecca using up all the time for her fifteen takes? (I was on Simone's side re: her vs Katie in the first challenge, though).

• Love 17

Were the judges watching the same video I was? I thought the losing team's video was the best even with their boo boos. Ok, so pizza dough isn't buttery and flaky but at least it wasn't boring like Adam's. I did want Amy to take a bit but her take on Chicken and Waffles was pretty good, although Katie's was a bit better because she bit her's but she took such a big bite I was afraid she was going to choke! Harrison's rib segment was steps above the one that the poor Indian woman did....I believed he was really enjoying his. And I have had a wok facial a time or two....he is over the top but entertaining so he certainly overpowered Samone or however she spells her name. I really enjoyed Rebekka's segment and she didn't exactly choose the burger...it was all that was left and who hasn't cooked and eaten a burger? I just thought that the losing team had a great intro and ending. If Rebekka hadn't taken all that extra time, maybe Samone would have done better but I don't think so...She was the correct person to go.

The first segment with Katie and Samone was really painful and they both were to blame! Samone tho' carried it over to the second part of the show and I was happy and relieved to see her gone!

• Love 11

I don't know that one team was better than the other but there's no way Adam's team was going to lose when one of the overall stronger competitors could have come up short and had to be sent home. 

• Love 7

Not that I think she has any chance of winning, but I'm glad Rebekah didn't get eliminated just because she did a segment on something that was allegedly not outside of her comfort zone. She really didn't have any say in the matter and was just being a team player by agreeing to take what was left after everyone else chose. Would burgers have been outside of anyone's comfort zone? (On the other team, there was at least one person who'd been a vegetarian.) 

• Love 8

Poor Manny had so little time left to do his spot AND close out the team presentation - I'm wondering if his team would've been able to encourage him to not use buttery and flaky to describe pizza if Rebekah had left more time. 

• Love 13

Forgot to mention that it was interesting to see what they've done to the Proud Bird, which opened in 1967 and was a traditional restaurant just outside of LAX for many years. It was the type of place that hosted celebration dinners, events, etc. I had no idea they'd turned it into a food hall-type place. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, J-Man said:

Not that I think she has any chance of winning, but I'm glad Rebekah didn't get eliminated just because she did a segment on something that was allegedly not outside of her comfort zone. She really didn't have any say in the matter and was just being a team player by agreeing to take what was left after everyone else chose. Would burgers have been outside of anyone's comfort zone? (On the other team, there was at least one person who'd been a vegetarian.) 

I agree. I don’t understand how a hamburger could be out of the comfort zone of anyone who is appearing on Food Network. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Maya said:

I agree. I don’t understand how a hamburger could be out of the comfort zone of anyone who is appearing on Food Network. 

Amy claimed she had never had chicken and waffles.  Really none of those food types were anything unusual IMO.  So was it feasible that Manny has never had pizza? 

• Love 3

Rebekah telling Simone to leave time for Manny, after sucking down a half hour to film her segment, earned her a spot in my all time hall of fame Food Network Star finalists.

There's no chance she's going to win but if by some miracle it happens, give her a Beat Bobby Flay type show where she can just break whatever rules of the challenge she wants and I'd never miss an episode.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, jmthrd said:

Rebekah telling Simone to leave time for Manny, after sucking down a half hour to film her segment, earned her a spot in my all time hall of fame Food Network Star finalists.

There's no chance she's going to win but if by some miracle it happens, give her a Beat Bobby Flay type show where she can just break whatever rules of the challenge she wants and I'd never miss an episode.

Rebekah didn't break any rules.   Someone had to take burgers.   Who hasn't cooked a burger? Who had burgers for the other team?

• Love 2

I understood why Simone was annoyed at the beginning of both segments but, boy, she has a nasty streak and doesn't handle frustration well at all.  She and her Guy Fieri hairdo needed to go.

Amy has an unpleasant side to her personality too.  I thought so last season and she doesn't seem any different.  Nothing about her cooking stands out.  I don't get what FN sees in her.

I like Christian but his grammar needs work and so does his fashion sense.  I like Manny too but he seems either hyped up or terrified all the time.  I doubt he'll get a lot farther.

So far I haven't picked anyone I'm actually pulling for.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Maya said:

Maybe not. He thinks pizza has a buttery flaky crust lol. 

He wasn't eating just a pizza...he found the hot new food fad.  From the maker of the cronut...the CRIZZA!!!  I wished he'd been sent packing instead of SAM-ONE (I wanted to ask her if she's any relation to KRS-ONE).  But I'm not sorry to see her go...she needed one of RuPaul's attitude adjustments.

I don't care much for Rebekah, and she's not going to win, but I kinda like her "whatevah, I do want I want!" attitude to the challenges.

Adam...why didn't you say how much you love the mushrooms on your pizza because you're a fun guy...GET IT (obvious wink)?!

Amy..."I've never had chicken and waffles before, and this is not the time for me to get out of my comfort zone."  Oh, wait...

Jess..."Madagascar rats don't have nearly so much fat on them as American rats do.  That's why American rats make such good burger meat."  Was her novel sent to the Bulwer-Lytton contest?

I hope Palak develops more personality on camera, right now she's as dry as stale naan.

Barbecue, Italian, burgers...SOOOO out of their comfort zones, their heads would explode like in "Scanners" if they visited here: http://www.westsidebazaar.com/ (a little plug for a local place)

Christian...the unholy love child of Giada and Guy.  Guess who's winning?

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, smiley13 said:

The editing of Samone and Katie in the podcast challenge made me start to dislike Katie.  

No kidding. It had me rooting for Katie to screw up in the second challenge, but I couldn't deny that she was one of the strongest ones in that. Tough day for Samone - first Katie, then Rebekah using so much time trying to get her segment just right. You gotta be able to roll with the punches, though.  I thought the team should have pulled the plug on Rebekah to give the last two presenters more of a chance, and only circled back around to her for an extra take if they had time (not sure if that would have been allowed or not, though). 

Oh, well. I didn't see Samone winning the thing, but at least they gave her an edit that indicated her ouster was partly due to bad luck.

Edited by akr
repetition
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, jmthrd said:

On second viewing "Give Manny some time!" is so evil and I like it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, smiley13 said:

So why did they say Rebekah didn't choose to discuss a food outside of her comfort zone, yet the same was not said of Katie from Mississippi with chicken and waffles??

Because Katy is this season's healthy chef, apparently, but also because Rebekah did that ridiculous funnel-balaya last week.

Tonight's episode actually made me angry. Yes, Samone likely wasn't going to win, but Rebekah really did screw her over by not being able to accept any take that was anything less than absolute perfection -- hell, in her THs she actually seemed proud that she had screwed her over. Between Samone being left to stew and Manny only having time for one take (because you know he would have fixed the buttery and flaky thing on a second, or even not done it at all because of not having to rush the first), Rebekah pretty much single-handedly sank her team with her prima donna attitude. She should have gone home over Miami guy last week, and she can't go home soon enough.

• Love 21
Just now, dewelar said:

Because Katy is this season's healthy chef, apparently, but also because Rebekah did that ridiculous funnel-balaya last week.

Tonight's episode actually made me angry. Yes, Samone likely wasn't going to win, but Rebekah really did screw her over by not being able to accept any take that was anything less than absolute perfection -- hell, in her THs she actually seemed proud that she had screwed her over. Between Samone being left to stew and Manny only having time for one take (because you know he would have fixed the buttery and flaky thing on a second, or even not done it at all because of not having to rush the first), Rebekah pretty much single-handedly sank her team with her prima donna attitude. She should have gone home over Miami guy last week, and she can't go home soon enough.

I had completely forgotten about Manny when Rebekah was going through her fifteen takes and saw that timer going down and noticed that Simone would only have fifteen minutes or less for her takes, and I thought that was bad enough when I thought it was only one person and not two! Assuming each team took around twenty minutes to plan, eat the food, tape the intro, etc, that meant they had forty minutes approximately for five people to tape a one-minute each (was that how long it was supposed to be?) segment. It looked like Amy and Harrison did theirs in one or two takes and Rebekah took up what was probably half of the time for herself. I agree with @akr, the team captain was (Amy?) should have stopped her after her third or fourth try because they needed to get the remaining team members on film. 

• Love 6
(edited)
32 minutes ago, dewelar said:

I dislike Rebekah. She's one of those loud obnoxious shits that pops up every season. She thinks she's an expert at this game, but comes up exceptionally short. 

It wasn't lost on me that Katie relished micromanaging Samone (the African American female contestant), thereby hurting their chances for the first challenge win. Rebekah completed that puzzle by eating up almost all the time during the main team challenge.

Samone wasn't the greatest contestant and got stuck in her own head, but her challenge teammates (Katie and Rebekah) let her down too. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 16
(edited)

Amy can also kiss my ass. Harrison told Rebekah that if they had time at the end they could try one at the end and then Amy busted in and said “oh let’s do it now.” No, she had more than enough time and was bragging about her YouTube videos so wait and let other people have a chance.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11
48 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Amy can also kiss my ass. Harrison told Rebekah that if they had time at the end they could try one at the end and then Amy busted in and said “oh let’s do it now.” No, she had more than enough time and was bragging about her YouTube videos so wait and let other people have a chance.

I don't care for Amy's smug ass either. 

The only reason I watch this show is so that I can snark about it here. 

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, mlp said:

I understood why Simone was annoyed at the beginning of both segments but, boy, she has a nasty streak and doesn't handle frustration well at all.  She and her Guy Fieri hairdo needed to go.

Amy has an unpleasant side to her personality too.  I thought so last season and she doesn't seem any different.  Nothing about her cooking stands out.  I don't get what FN sees in her.

I like Christian but his grammar needs work and so does his fashion sense.  I like Manny too but he seems either hyped up or terrified all the time.  I doubt he'll get a lot farther.

So far I haven't picked anyone I'm actually pulling for.

I agree on all counts.  I actually thought Katie had a point with the white potatoes but her micromanaging attitude sucked and came off as disrespect.  What happened to team collaboration?  And who died and left her in charge anyway?  But part of a competition like this is to stay positive even when being disrespected or screwed over and Samone failed on that in both segments.  If that's her reaction, it was understandable to send her home because her self-sabotage ruined her performance.  They have to stay cool under any circumstances.  

My hopes that Rebekah wouldn't be a self-absorbed twit with a superior attitude have been completely dashed. Amy also acts like a little miss superiority that's only half attempting to cover up a bad attitude.  The way she waved that food around without tasting it was beyond ridiculous.  And Manny acts surprised when given criticism, like he wonders where it came from.  Obviously he has no clue and is just making up BS on the fly with his "buttery and flaky" comment.  Any reason to like him is fading fast.  Pretty much any of the above people can get off my screen any time now and I wouldn't be upset about it. 

Christian, however, has potential.  He's a little rough around the edges but might overcome that.  Although like you, I'm really not pulling for anyone right now either.

Edited by Yeah No
Redundant phrase.
  • Love 6

Harrison is the only one I like at this point.

I’m hoping both Amy and Adam crash and burn soon.

3 hours ago, GaT said:

I still don't understand how someone (Adam) who has already hosted FN shows can be on this show. 

Me either. I’d love it if they’d show us some scenes from wherever it is they have them all holed up together. I’m betting everyone else in the group is asking the same question.

• Love 3

Both Amy and Katie give off a bossy and smug vibe and it's not pretty.  Christian made some stupid opening remark and Gee-Ah-Da grinned with all 200 of her teeth.   I like Rebekah and Manny.  Harrison has been pretty good too.  Palak and Jess bore me. And Adam,  well he has already been a FN Star.

• Love 1

And Adam,  well he has already been a FN Star.

He even mentioned that he had had shows and one might have seen him on the Food Network. Plus he told us that he has a Podcast so there is much experience with that also. They(Food Network and Adam) really haven't hidden it.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

He even mentioned that he had had shows and one might have seen him on the Food Network. Plus he told us that he has a Podcast so there is much experience with that also. They(Food Network and Adam) really haven't hidden it.

There was no hiding it, lol.  Especially if you have watched every season of this show.

5 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

There was no hiding it, lol.  Especially if you have watched every season of this show.

Which I have but have absolutely no memory of him at all! Am I the only one?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Which I have but have absolutely no memory of him at all! Am I the only one?

He was in the top 3 during his season, so I definitely remember him.   He was then utilized quite a bit by FN.  He doesn't bother me, but I just don't think he belongs in the competition.   

• Love 7

He was in the top 3 during his season, so I definitely remember him.   He was then utilized quite a bit by FN.  He doesn't bother me, but I just don't think he belongs in the competition.   

Was he in the competition when the audience still picked the winner? I remember thinking during his season that the judges LOVED Adam. I couldn't stand him. He was so phony and much more a presenter than chef. 

Nope...just looked this up -- he was the first season where producers picked the winner. Aaron McCargo Jr won. Adam and Kelsy Nixon when on to host a bunch of stuff for Food Network -- so why is he on this season again? He's been hosting on FN and also some cable show movie night. He's not a restauranteur or chef  -- so why???

• Love 2

"I've never actually eaten chicken & waffles before.....and.....I still haven't!"  Rookie mistake by Amy.  Also, the way she was picking up and holding both the chicken and the waffle told me that those items were as dry as toast.  Not very appealing food on the Food Network.

Samone being eliminated means that we'll get more time for the show itself and less time of her bad-mouthing every other contestant during her (incredibly frequent) TH segments.  Talk about living in a glass house.

I'm not sure at what point the "food novelist" decided that her 1 minute segment was when she was supposed to summarize her 350 page book for the viewers.  We don't want to hear about eating rats in Madagascar.  Doesn't she already know this?  Has she ever watched TFN?

Adam continues to be my favorite, but I'm not sure why his presentation was so flat.  He's done about a thousand of these little segments over the years.  Come on, Adam, this competition is yours to lose!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, eyechart said:

Jess..."Madagascar rats don't have nearly so much fat on them as American rats do.  That's why American rats make such good burger meat."  Was her novel sent to the Bulwer-Lytton contest?

I adore you for mentioning this. 

Also, I'm old school. I don't know what the f*ck a "food novel" is. Is the main character a noodle that has an epiphany about which sauce suits it? Him? Her? How do you sex a noodle? Does the reader breathlessly follow the noodle down the GI tract and witness its clash with stomach acid and the great cilia of intestine? Maybe she means "food porn" and can't say that on a PG-13 show? 

So, I had to look. You're likely not wrong, @eyechart

image.thumb.png.0210c6bacdb28818933f7aceaa401134.png

• Love 5

Rebekah has absolutely made and or eaten a hamburger before! What cheftestant hasn't? However, she shouldnt have said, "this is something my husband and I can make on the weekends!" if she wanted to sell it as something she wasn't overly familiar with. I mean, all three judges are going to know she knows what a burger is, but she did not need to throw it in their face. I am not sure how much longer she is going to make it. I am not a fan.

Amy is grating on my last nerve. I didn't like her on her first season and I didn't like her during ComeBack Kitchen and I don't like her now. She is constantly making faces and rolling her eyes and she seems so damn unpleasant. 

I really like Adam but I feel like I can see him on a bunch of other FN shows already. I don't feel like FN needs to bring people back to Food Network Star to make me watch Food Network Star. I would watch even if Adam wasn't on (and for sure if Amy wasn't on). 

• Love 6

The highlight, for me, was Richard's hair.  Goodness gracious, me!   

Rebekah insisting on many retakes was irritating and rude to those who followed her.  Her team should have stopped her 3rd take.  Talking through that plastered on smile was too much.  She seems to be forcing a sweet persona.  

Samone was my pick to go before this episode even started.  Her bad temper sure did her in this week!  She was a goner after they listened to her podcast.  So glad I don't have to look at that flower anymore.  I have a strong aversion to accessories used as a signature.  You know she blamed Rebeka and Katie for her elimination.  I can hear her going off on them to anyone who will listen, right now.  

Palek will loosen up; I like her and don't hear a vocal fry at all.  She is a contender for the win.

I view this as who I want to see as a judge on GGG.  :^)   Palak and Adam pass this test.  No one else yet but maybe Chris.  

Manny will go soon if not next.  You cannot understand much of what he says.  I have never heard anyone interrupt themselves before! 

• Love 8

I will always see Samone's unfortunate name spelling& hear in my head "Sam One." Come on, parents , Simone is a perfectly lovely normally spelled name.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, rhys said:

I will always see Samone's unfortunate name spelling& hear in my head "Sam One." Come on, parents , Simone is a perfectly lovely normally spelled name.

I, unfortunately, see it in my head as Salmon.  Might as well just call her Haddock or Cod.

• Love 5