Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Nolefan said:

Maybe it is the American in me (more used to talking about sensitive stuff), but I cannot stand this about Ross and Demelza’s relationship.

Americans are more used to talking about sensitive stuff??  That's news to me.  I don't think it's specifically a national pastime nor limited to one country, but I find most people are uncomfortable talking about sensitive stuff.  Having a child out of wedlock IS a big deal and YES, they have discussed it.  Actually, it was Demelza who sort of made it clear to Ross that Valentine IS HIS son.  Well, perhaps not so clear, she sort of hinted around it by describing certain features, similarities, & timing.  (Not to mention Elizabeth's misguided attempt to induce a miscarriage while pregnant with Valentine so as to make it appear that his early birth was due to a mishap not the result of a Ross "invasion".)  This was suspicious to Demelza. Demelza actually urged Ross to be more proactive with Valentine's care.  Quite remarkable for a wife and mother of a man's children to urge him to take responsibility for his actions.  I have a friend who took in her husband's illegitimate child and raise him as her own.  I love this friend to death, for sjimply thinking of this child's welfare and not her own pain.  Takes a strong woman to do something like that.  But, I digress, Ross and Demelza have talked about it and for awhile Ross pretended that Valentine was not his, but he has come to accept it.  In fact, Elizabeth and Ross HAVE discussed it and have developed a strategy to mislead George; (Lie and convince him that Valentine is his) Elizabeth has taken this further. By letting George know that another child by him would be welcome; although I think she secretly plans to have Ross impregnate her again.  I have no knowledge of any book storyline nor have I seen any evidence of this desire on Elizabeth's part, I just think it would be so twisted that it would add zing to the story, provided it was done right, not like the way Valentine was conceived. To add an extra measure of scandal, both Elizabeth AND Demelza are aware that the other knows Valentine's paternity

2 hours ago, Nolefan said:

Just seems like Ross and Demelza’s relationship has just been spinning its wheels since Season 2, and, frankly, it is boring me now.

That's precisely the reason that their relationship has been spinning, not to mention Ross couldn't seem to be able to "Keep it in his pants" when it comes to Elizabeth.  Yes, everybody speaks in subtext around the subject of Valentine, everybody, except Aunt Agatha, who deduced Valentine's lineage and thoroughly enjoyed casting aspersions until she ultimately went too far and actually laughed in George's face that Valentine wasn't his as retribution for denying her a birthday gathering.  George, of course, instigated her death as revenge by ignoring her cries of pain from a heart attack (if I recall). That very fact alone is why I will never have any sympathy or respect for George.

Edited by Jacks-Son
21 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Americans are more used to talking about sensitive stuff??  That's news to me.  I don't think it's specifically a national pastime nor limited to one country, but I find most people are uncomfortable talking about sensitive stuff. 

I thought is was a stereotype that Americans talk about stuff, while the British have the “stiff upper lip” and don’t talk about their feelings like Americans do. Prime example of this was the Harry and Megan wedding with the American preacher — watching all the British people squirming in their seats was the best part of the wedding :) I did not mean any offense by my statement. I must have missed an episode or something because I don’t recall the Ross/Demelza coversation about Valentine. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I remember Ross discussing it with Elizabeth a number of times, though. Was wondering how Ross and Demelza can repair their relationship when Ross has not even talked to Demelza about Valentine and the pain this must cause to Demelza. Then Demelza has an affair with Hugh and basically tells Ross she is not talking about what she did with Hugh, almost like telling Ross that now she has her secrets, too. I must have missed some stuff. Thanks again for clearing this up for me.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Nolefan said:

I did not mean any offense by my statement. I must have missed an episode or something because I don’t recall the Ross/Demelza coversation about Valentine. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

You're welcome.  No offense was was taken.  I wasn't even bothered, just difference of view. S'cool!  I'm not certain when Ross and Demelza had the "baby talk", but I think it was sometime around Aunt Agatha's death, when it was suspected that George was on a rampage after Nana's reveal.  There are Darkologists, who study the Poldark series in print and on screen; I'm sure they could tell you the season and episode when the fan was hit.

Demelza actually urged Ross to be more proactive with Valentine's care.  Quite remarkable for a wife and mother of a man's children to urge him to take responsibility for his actions. 

When did that happen?  Because I cannot believe that Debbie Horsfield would have Demelza say something that incredibly stupid.

• Love 1

No, that never happened.  Demelza did round-aboutly point out the basic math on Valentine and made sure that Ross was aware of it as well as the fact that she was aware of it.  Considering that they all live right down the road from each other and their children will be growing up right down the road from each other and probably interacting socially where it could potentially get awkward down the line, it's a practical matter that Ross shouldn't get to just shrug off.  He created the situation.

• Love 1