Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Legacy

I don't know why it struck me this episode in particular, but it makes me so happy that Cole, someone who spent most of his life scavenging in an apocalyptic deathscape, gets to travel to so many different times and have such a variety of experiences.  Sure, most of it is intense and dangerous, but after so long being stuck in this world of desolation that was lethally-unpredictable and depressingly-stagnant at the same time, I love that he can go to a different when every other week and do things like ride horses, reenact ridiculous Western tropes (that dialogue, OMG!,) and of course, eat and drink (I've always enjoyed his immense love for food of the past.)

Okay, so the Tall Man said they couldn't complete the plans for Titan without Elliot, and Deacon killed him.  Is he secretly Team Splinter?  (If so, I hope he didn't know Elliot was Jones's ex/Hannah's dad, although I could see him doing it anyway.)  Even though it doesn't appear to have slowed Olivia down much, the way he asked about her plan at the end added to my wondering.

• Love 3

Cole was having way too much fun getting to use all the old-timey Western lines and tropes for this episode!

Always glad for more Peter Outerbridge, so I'm happy they brought back Elliot for a final (?) episode.  Too bad he died, but at least he and Jones got to make peace, and he was able to find out about Hannah.  Plus, he at least got to hand off that flash drive that will hopefully help them out going forward.

Tom Noonan continues to be creepy as always as the Pallid Man.

• Love 2

I liked the episode overall, but there were little things - like how Cassie and Cole were such expert equestrians - that kind of took me out of it.  I also didn't like them stealing clothes from the Native American woman.  So that was the Pallid Man's father?  His son didn't give me any vibes that he was the same person who would become the Pallid Man, I wondered if he was a different person entirely.  Love that Kat had some time with Elliot, I guess the plague and the collapse of civilization had nothing to do with her long, scraggly hair.

Almost forgot:  MY favorite  moment:  When Jennifer pointed out the anachronistic details in the saloon.

The horseback riding took me out of it, too. 

I did like Cole’s embracing of his Wild West character with the smoking and the “drawl.” His ordering at the saloon cracked me up. “Four whiskey...sours.” So close, man.

Plus that tentative little twirl of the revolver early on? Aw. Kind of sad to think of weeCole wanting to be a cowboy before the world ended.

I find myself a little disturbed by all Cassie’s killing these days. I mean I know they’re bad guys and saving the world and everyone else is doing it, but it seems particularly brutal coming from her for me for some reason. Maybe because of where she started? I don’t know. Maybe it’s supposed to be growth, but I find it jarring.

• Love 1

Cole and all of his Western lines was fun.

I was glad Elliot and Jones got some closure and Elliot found out about Hannah; Sad that Elliot was killed but at least Hannah knew her father cared about her and Team Splinter got the flash drive.

Now Olivia knows about the weapon. So the woman working for Elliot is Oliva's daughter?

Aww, Team Splinter is family. Glad everyone spilled the secrets they were keeping. 

• Love 3

Teamwork at its finest.

Cole is just so terrible at improvising situations. I had to stop the episode because I was laughing too hard at his drawl.

That woman just looked at him like there was something really wrong with him.

Eh, does the Magic Time Travel Wardrobe only have two Calamity Jane outfits? Which you know, looked to be quite modern but that wasn't the point.

Poor Hannah, I wonder what happens to her when it all ends. 

It was nice to see Elliott again, I'm glad they managed to tie that story up. I also knew he was a goner the minute I saw him.

• Love 3

I love badass Cassie she is often the best part of the show for me and I like that the show has continued to make her go dark because it makes sense.  

Cole enjoying himself with all the cowboy tropes was hilarious 

• Like 1

Just started watching this episode, but based on the opener and the poem about the demon that broke the Ouroboros serpent's singular direction, I have a feeling we are going to end up learning that the reason for everything that's happened- the plague, the Army of the 12 Monkeys, etc- is going to be because Jones and her husband broke time by inventing the splinter device in the first place.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 10:03 PM, angora said:

I don't know why it struck me this episode in particular, but it makes me so happy that Cole, someone who spent most of his life scavenging in an apocalyptic deathscape, gets to travel to so many different times and have such a variety of experiences.  Sure, most of it is intense and dangerous, but after so long being stuck in this world of desolation that was lethally-unpredictable and depressingly-stagnant at the same time, I love that he can go to a different when every other week and do things like ride horses, reenact ridiculous Western tropes (that dialogue, OMG!,) and of course, eat and drink (I've always enjoyed his immense love for food of the past.)

I have always loved this aspect of Cole's experience. Once he got past the first few jumps and the whole "splintering might kill me" and "I have to kill some random stranger" business, I loved watching him enjoy different aspects of the times and places he traveled to. Yes, it was usually still fraught with danger but living in 2043 was pretty fucking dangerous too but without cheeseburgers or vintage cars. I know that Cole has not treated his missions like vacations (if I were him, I would have stuffed my pockets with every kind of portable food I could have before returning to 2043 every single time!) so I like that he gets to experience things that are so different from the bleak world he lived in.

Watching him get all Westerny with the "little ladies" and "iffen" totally cracked me up, but I loved that he got to live out so many little kids' fantasies of being a cowboy. It made me wonder how much fun he and Ramse would have had there together (you know, if they weren't working against each other).

In contrast, I loved how Jennifer did not have any interest in going to pioneer dysentery town.

One thing I really liked in this episode was how well everyone knows each other - at least well enough to know when they're trying to hide something. Cassie figured out that Jennifer wasn't having visions anymore. Jennifer knew that Cole was hiding something about the ouroboros story. Hannah knew that Jones was sick. I loved that Jones was the one to point out that they are a family and that she got them to tell each other the truth. It made my cold heart melt!

The ironic thing about Jennifer's storyline in this episode is that the visions made her think that she was crazy for so much of her life, and later when she found out what it meant to be primary she was still often driven to obsessive drawing and losing control. Even then, being primary was often exhausting and confusing to her. Knowing the cause let her know that she wasn't crazy, but it didn't always make her FEEL less crazy. But once the visions and voices were gone, she was afraid of what would happen if she told everyone the truth. She didn't want them to turn on her or think she was no longer useful to the mission. But what I liked is that despite her lack of visions, she WAS still useful. She was the one who noticed exactly what was weird about the bar they were in. Sure, Cassie and Cole said something wasn't right but Jennifer was the one who noticed a list of things that proved it wasn't just a feeling. I felt bad that she was desperate enough to drink the red tea though.

I don't mind Cassie being so good at killing now. Her hippocratic oath doesn't mean anything now, and most of her killing was done to save people. It's hard to feel bad about her being stabby or quick with her gun when her actions save Cole at least twice in this episode alone. I'd rather have lethal Cassie than someone who shrieks and hides. I totally cracked up when Cole was trying to stall the bad guys and then Cassie, Jennifer, and Hannah just whipped out their guns and shot them.

One of the things I have loved about this show from the beginning is the moments of humor they insert into even the gravest situations. Team Splinter has traveled back to 1852 to save the world, yet when Jennifer had to resort to stealing clothes, she couldn't just grab the first thing on the clothesline. No, she had to hold up a dress and silently ask Cole if he thought she should take that one. Meanwhile, Cole, who was trying to distract the owner, responded by yelling in the middle of this story about being robbed that the robbers SURE TOOK THEIR TIME. I love that this show can make me laugh while the characters are in dire straits.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, Aliferously said:

Eh, does the Magic Time Travel Wardrobe only have two Calamity Jane outfits? Which you know, looked to be quite modern but that wasn't the point.

It looked like all of them were wearing regular clothes when they splintered to 1852 and after they shot the three guys, they took their long overcoats, bandanas/neckerchiefs, and hats which covered up what they were wearing underneath and let them blend in from a distance.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I totally cracked up when Cole was trying to stall the bad guys and then Cassie, Jennifer, and Hannah just whipped out their guns and shot them.

It was just Cassie and Hannah. Jennifer doesn’t know how to handle guns.

15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In contrast, I loved how Jennifer did not have any interest in going to pioneer dysentery town.

Hey, she would have been in elementary school in the early '90s-- we took our Oregon Trail very seriously!

image.thumb.png.86cdb34827b42f0ff3873403a65040f0.png

I enjoyed how adorable Hannah is without the raccoon mask. I did kind of side-eye the fact that she immediately recognized the father she never met. I mean, I guess she saw pictures, but considering she said she never thought about him, it seems weird that she memorized those pictures and could instantly place him.

On 6/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, mjc570 said:

I also didn't like them stealing clothes from the Native American woman. 

And was it just me, or did Jennifer's outfit look nothing like what she took off the clothesline? She appeared to take the dress that she wanted Cole's approval of, which was blue and had sleeves. What she ended up wearing looked like something out of a brothel.

7 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I did kind of side-eye the fact that she immediately recognized the father she never met. I mean, I guess she saw pictures, but considering she said she never thought about him, it seems weird that she memorized those pictures and could instantly place him.

I suspected that Hannah saying she'd never thought of her father wasn't actually true. Maybe she hadn't when she believed the myth Jennifer had told her about having been found floating down the river on a swan (or something like that). But once she knew her mother and been told about her father, I find it hard to believe she'd never thought of him after that. I thought it might have been a bit of a shot at Elliott, a "You can't hurt me because you don't matter to me" kind of thing. 

7 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

And was it just me, or did Jennifer's outfit look nothing like what she took off the clothesline? She appeared to take the dress that she wanted Cole's approval of, which was blue and had sleeves. What she ended up wearing looked like something out of a brothel.

I thought the same thing!

I so knew that "Emma" would call Olivia "mother."  I'm waiting for "Emma" to be found out as "Marion", Cole's mother.

Love the western episode and it was so cool that Jennifer noticed all the anachronisms in the Saloon.  I hope that Deacon's action helped, or at least helped change things.  How are we to know?

I was thinking Titan was the weapon, but maybe there is more to come.