Type keyword(s) to search

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess I never really heard Jay Z’s speak before, but, you know how when you heard David Beckham’s voice for the first time & you went “WHA??????”, that’s what I also did when Jay Z started talking. That is not the voice I was expecting.

It was a good interview, but Dave really danced around the whole cheating thing. He never came right out & talked about it, he talked about when he cheated & never actually used those words. It was a little strange.

What did the Rick Rubin visit have to do with anything? And did we keep hearing that woman sing? I don’t understand what it had to do with Jay Z.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2018 at 12:40 AM, eliot90000 said:

Rick Rubin was Jay Z's first producer and partner in Def Jam Records, an association that made them both oodles of money.  The woman singing was a VERY talented person he was working for.  She must have industry muscle behind her to be working with Rubin and being backed up by Neil Young's band.  

But none of it had anything to do with Jay Z. Dave didn't discuss him with Rick Rubin, & the woman had absolutely nothing to do with him. Dave is really stretching things with this other stuff he's doing, & it's not working IMO. If I decided to watch an interview with Jay Z, I want to see Jay Z, not some woman I never heard of sing.

• Love 1

Agreed. In the other episodes, the B story has tied back personally to the interviewee. 

It was an ok interview. Not that I expected him to grill Jay Z but he glossed over his illegal activities from his youth and didn’t make a connection when Jay said that black males were disproportionately in prison (which is true)

• Love 3

Where has this show been all my life? 

On 1/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, Calvada said:

I thought it was interesting at the beginning that the audience apparently did not know who would be appearing with Dave.   I assume the guess of Bill Clinton was because there must have been some Secret Service presence.  I wonder if that is the way all future shows will go, with the audience not knowing who will be "the next guest who needs no introduction."  Or was it necessary this time purely for security reasons?

I loved that they kind of lost their shit.  There was a lady in the front row, no lie, she was bunny hopping up and down and clapping.  I looked at her and thought:  sis, I get it. 

DL:   you invoke the phrase "against all odds, someone who changes history, you've of course, described yourself"  hearts.

On 1/13/2018 at 7:35 AM, Giant Misfit said:

True fact! (I had posted about 3/4 of the way through and hadn't gotten to that last shot.) Also got super choked up when Dave closed the interview by telling Obama he was the first president in his lifetime of which he was truly proud. Thanks for the gut punch, Dave. 

I hate to nitpick a fellow nitpicker lol.   Especially because it's not a particularly significant difference but DL said Obama was the first President he truly respected.    It only stuck out because what he said just before that was irrespective of the man or woman who holds it, you have to respect the Office of Presidency.   

I've been trying to get my neighbor to sign up for Netflix since the dawn of time and used this interview as a nudge.  I said girl how bout that this man having been President isn't even the best part of him.  He's just a damn good dude.   Throat lumps all the way through.   

• Love 4

I liked the Judd Apatow part.

I would have liked the Rick Rubin, producer, part more if I hadn't had a running suspicion that he had lost a bad beard competition with Dave first.  If he was JayZ's producer, it would have been great to hear about what it takes to produce hip hop versus non-hip hop.

• Love 4

Rubin had that beard since 1989. Def Jam was instrumental in taking rap from battles on the street corners to the mainstream to be sure. I'm not sure why Dave and Rubin didn't discuss this. 

For someone with an interesting history, I find the interview lacking personal depth. He was bringing in 2 grand a day. His mother was closeted. That was barely 5 minutes. He seems nice to talk to, but I was expecting more. 

Aside - they were talking about Jay-Z being this wise lyricist, but honestly he's just not on par with his contemporaries coming up. Picasso maybe before he went all cubist. He's a great hip hop artist to be sure. I still think his best work on the mic was with Foxy Brown. I actually would have liked more rap history because Jay Z is one of its living figures. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4
On 4/9/2018 at 2:04 PM, GaT said:

But none of it had anything to do with Jay Z. Dave didn't discuss him with Rick Rubin, & the woman had absolutely nothing to do with him. Dave is really stretching things with this other stuff he's doing, & it's not working IMO. If I decided to watch an interview with Jay Z, I want to see Jay Z, not some woman I never heard of sing.

It was as tangential as the rest.    I thought maybe Dave was going for some cyclical theme.   *Paper Boy* lol to President.   He became head of the company he used to be under contract for.   Not unheard of but if maybe the premise ball of wax for My Next Guest is going to be:  ordinary people who wind up doing extraordinary things.  Awimbawe, circle of life, tracing his path, like that.

I loved two things: 

DL:  I hear your wife is also in show business

JZ:   Yeah, she's just starting

and

about forgiveness and working through it:   "She knows I'm not the worst of what I've done."

Shiiiiiiiid all I could think is Joe Camel looking mf's out here cheating on Bey, Halle and Vanessa.   Us regular heffas don't stand a chance.  

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this.  I love Tina in interviews and this was no exception.  I like how she describes what SNL was like when she first arrived and the importance of the improving diversity among the staff.  That Kotex Classic commercial is a scream and I'm so happy it didn't get chucked. 

Buddy Guy was great which wasn't surprising but it means we also got a glimpse of Paul!  I miss Paul but he's good as long as he's got music so I'm happy for him.  Buddy and Dave eating the chicken Tina recommended was a hoot.  Glad neither dropped dead from it. 

• Love 6

Except for the end, Dave didn't go off & do some random thing, so that's good, but I'm just not that interested in Howard Stern, so I wasn't really into it.

• Love 2

Did anybody else watch the Jerry Seinfeld episode? For some reason, this episode was called a "bonus" instead of having a number, & I have no idea when it appeared on Netflix. The only reason I even know it exists is because the show was part of my "continue watching" list & I wondered why since I thought I had seen everything so far. Anyway, I liked it, it wasn't just Dave asking Jerry questions, Jerry asked Dave questions too, & you could tell they've know each other for a long time. Some interesting responses (I had no idea both of Jerry's parents were orphans), & Dave did not go off visiting anyplace, so the whole episode was interview.

• Love 1

It appeared on Netflix very shortly after the Stern interview dropped.  I knew it was there because I saw it when I was downloading the Stern interview, and also next-episode.net had it, which meant tvmaze and/or thetvdb had it too.

Well, good thing I came here. I didn't know about Seinfeld either.

I thought Obama, Clooney, and Stern were the best for me. I didn't know about the history between them was contentious, and I liked how they addressed it. 

• Love 1

David Letterman’s ‘My Next Guest Needs No Introduction’ Gets Season 2 Premiere Date On Netflix

Those who’ve been jonesing for their David Letterman fix the past year can breathe easier: The King of Modern Late Night is returning to Netflix for a second season of My Next Guest Needs No Introduction this month.

The streamer said today that all six new episodes of its Emmy-nommed offbeat spin on the talk show genre will go live on May 31. This year’s guests — more folks Letterman finds “fascinating” — are TBA.

• Love 3

Anybody else watching this? I'm currently watching the Lewis Hamilton one, which I'm finding more interesting than I thought I would since I had no idea who he was. Overall, I don't think this season was as good as season 1, the people he's interviewing (Kanye West is such a waste of space) are just not as interesting this season IMO.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:02 AM, GaT said:

Anybody else watching this? I'm currently watching the Lewis Hamilton one, which I'm finding more interesting than I thought I would since I had no idea who he was. Overall, I don't think this season was as good as season 1, the people he's interviewing (Kanye West is such a waste of space) are just not as interesting this season IMO.

I am. I've seen Kanye, Ellen & Tiffany Hadish. 

At first I thought Kanye seemed to have it under control, he was kind of funny when they were at the house and Dave was trying on clothes, altho I have to wonder why Kris is sitting around in a fur coat. 

When they went back to the interview on stage and he started rambling about not being on meds, MAGA, etc.  he lost me.    I don't understand how he was just diagnosed 2 years ago.  I thought he'd been having significant problems for quite some time. It was more than two years ago, IIRC that he announced he was broke and needed someone to lend him some huge amount of money.  And didn't he have a meltdown that Kim had to fly across the country to get him admitted to a hospital? 

I enjoyed Ellen, but I've always been a huge fan. I do wish she'd stop scaring people. Not everyone enjoys that. 

I liked Tiffany Hadish for the most part, but FFS clean up the dog poop. That was disgusting.  I was surprised she didn't get to the part about Kevin Hart helping her out.  

I agree I don't think the guests this season are as interesting.   I would like to see him interview Pete Buttigieg. Two Indiana boys, both very smart, that would be a good one. 

• Love 1

His Kanye interview reaffirmed my feelings that Kanye has some deep mental issues. I feel for him. I think he just can't get the help he needs due to his celebrity, male pride, and a host of other circumstances. I think he lied in the Letterman interview too. It felt like Kanye wasn't as prepared for questions he's never fielded before.

• Love 1

The Melinda Gates interview (I've seen about half of it) is good. She's very inspiring and apparently putting her money where her mouth is with regard to trying to make the world better, esp for women.   

I loved the old clip of Dave asking Bill "what's with this internet thing".  

• Love 2

I watched the Zach Galifianakis bonus episode. I've heard his name, but I don't think I've ever seen anything he's been in, & I found him totally uninteresting. This was probably the least interesting interview of all IMO.

(edited)

I watched Ellen. There wasn't anything I didn't know before, but it was a good conversion. He had a little bit of anger to her, which you don't see. I liked the story about how they wouldn't let her in to her own medal ceremony when though she was there for the party the week before. 

She may have thought of herself as weak, but she is very much not. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
On 7/5/2019 at 1:25 AM, GaT said:

I watched the Zach Galifianakis bonus episode. I've heard his name, but I don't think I've ever seen anything he's been in, & I found him totally uninteresting. This was probably the least interesting interview of all IMO. 

This struck me as Netflix imposed than Dave selecting the guest. So far, he's clearly interested in the guests. With Haddish, he had read her book, and was very interested in hearing about her upbringing, and with Hamilton, the relationship with his father captured Dave's interest very much as well.

Here, they were just kind of sitting there trading off one-liners. Nothing against Zach; he's been quite successful and good for him, but there wasn't anything there that you could see really drew Dave in like with the others.

And you know what Zach, I know you're trying to be funny, but the professor didn't 'not give you that one point.' You didn't earn it. You got what you got.

I also am having a hard time believing that Bieber story was real.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

Apparently there's a new episode with Shah Rukh Khan as of today, but Netflix isn't showing "new episodes" under the old show page (or whatever you call it), there's a new one like it's a different show, if that makes sense. I wonder why they did it that way, I just happened to see it there was a new episode somewhere so I expected to see "new episode" in my list, but I actually had to search for it instead.

For Dave fans: Desus & Mero had him on as their guest for their second season premiere on Showtime. It's the best interview of Letterman I've ever seen. He's incredibly loose and you feel like the real guy is present. (As opposed the guy who wears bespoke suits, neckties, and freshly polished oxfords.) I think even Desus  & Mero were shocked a couple of times. You can watch it on YouTube, here. (NSFW; about 34 minutes long)

• Love 3
On 10/8/2020 at 10:40 AM, jacourt said:

Well thats a disappointment.  I wont be watching this one.

She was actually a decent interview. I know how people feel about her, but she really does come across as nice person, she's self aware and has a good sense of humor.  She explained her reasoning behind going to Trump WH to plead for Alice Johnson, and it was very sincere. 

She & Dave go to a CVS drug store and Dave does his usual schtick.  I know they were paying for everything but I would love to go to a store and just rip open pen packaging til I found one I like. 

I really like him so I found it funny.  She told him her younger sisters have no idea who he is.  He loved that. (sarcasm font) 

This interview was taped before Kanye's meltdown. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I don't think Dave would go near the subject anyway. And as ludicrous as Kim is, Kanye has become much more absurd.  As close as I can come to feeling sorry for her, is being tied to him. The kids are definitely what's keeping them together at this point.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, teddysmom said:

Which one? He was sitting in the audience, next to Kris, Kourtney, & Khloe wearing sunglasses with his hoodie up (because who would recognize him that way?), so I don't think he was far off.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:01 PM, Kromm said:

As close as I can come to feeling sorry for her, is being tied to him. The kids are definitely what's keeping them together at this point.

Don't feel sorry for her, Kanye is responsible for taking her from the D list to the A list, for her invitations to the Met Gala, for being on the cover of Vogue, for all the things she wanted. She can't divorce him because he's her third husband, & how will that look? The world's hottest woman is a 3 time loser. Plus, she would be abandoning a mentally ill man, & wouldn't that be a good look for her either, & Kim is allll about how she looks.

• Love 1
On 10/25/2020 at 12:50 AM, GaT said:

Which one? He was sitting in the audience, next to Kris, Kourtney, & Khloe wearing sunglasses with his hoodie up (because who would recognize him that way?), so I don't think he was far off.

The one in July when he announced he was running for POTUS and that Kim and her family were evil. 

Notice no masks or social distancing. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

The one in July when he announced he was running for POTUS and that Kim and her family were evil. 

Notice no masks or social distancing. 

I believe the Kardashian and Downey shows were filmed prior to the COVID issue.

• Love 3

I watched almost all of the episodes so far, a couple I just didn't even bother with watching. I just watched the Dave Chappelle episode. I loved it. I think Dave is the only one who should be re-interviewed every couple of years. Or after every Netflix special and not necessarily by David Letterman but at least by Jerry Seinfeld.  I disagree with some of the stuff he says in this interview but I understand that his point of view is correct, if that makes sense.