Type keyword(s) to search

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Political commentary from either My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman or any related PTV editorial piece is fine to be discussed in this topic.

However, posts that contain personal political views will be subject to moderation.

This directive is purposely broad because anytime hard lines are drawn in the sand and/or examples are given, some will use it as an opportunity to walk too close to the line, or even put a toe over it.

Please remember, mods are only human, and sometimes stuff will slip through the net. So if you see a post that violates the above, please do not respond - use the report button.

If you have a question on any of this, please PM your moderator, @SAOIRSE.

Thanks.

I was a HUGE David Letterman fan for many, many years.  He was my go-to late night show.  But two things turned me away -- when he became downright surly (I always loved his crankiness) and especially when it was revealed that he cheated with Stephanie, the woman we watched so many times in Letterman goofy bits.  I have no tolerance for cheaters and just couldn't look at him the same way again.  I won't be tuning in to this new show.

• Love 4

I'm just guessing that David, like so many other has-beens, discovered that he couldn't sleep without the sound of applause.  When David forgot that he was just a weatherman from Indiana and began thinking that he was a Somebody, I bowed out and looked for a nicer guy.

• Love 3

I guess I'm a minority here. I have been a fan of Letterman for years and am *thrilled* he's back. He had no tolerance for bullshit, and especially as he got older, he was more interested in talking to the guest with meaningful questions than getting points off for a cheap laugh or wisecrack. 

Also has he got older he tipped his hand a little more about issues that concerned him, such as income inequality and the environment.

He is not a perfect person and I too was disappointed with the reports of cheering on his girlfriend/wife over the years. I was able to keep that separate from my admiration for his work, but I get that others might not.

People hypothesize that had he stuck around and was active during the election, Trump would have been toast. There's no way to know. But I do think he would have been an improvement over what *was* around.

Anyway I'm excited that he's back. 

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I guess I'm a minority here. I have been a fan of Letterman for years and am *thrilled* he's back. He had no tolerance for bullshit, and especially as he got older, he was more interested in talking to the guest with meaningful questions than getting points off for a cheap laugh or wisecrack. 

Also has he got older he tipped his hand a little more about issues that concerned him, such as income inequality and the environment.

He is not a perfect person and I too was disappointed with the reports of cheering on his girlfriend/wife over the years. I was able to keep that separate from my admiration for his work, but I get that others might not.

People hypothesize that had he stuck around and was active during the election, Trump would have been toast. There's no way to know. But I do think he would have been an improvement over what *was* around.

I'm also a huge fan although besides his farewell couple of months, it'd been a very long time since I saw the show.  Also he was great recently on Norm McDonald's show.  I can;t blame him for retiring to spend more time with his son (who's 14 now) and realizing he has a lot more time on his hands now that his son is a teenager. 

I'll definitely check this out once I re-up my Nextflix account.

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I agree.  I couldn't be happier that he's back on the TV somewhere!  I've tried to keep up with what he's been doing the past couple of years and there's a lot of good work there.  I'm really looking forward to this show.

• Love 4

I started watching Dave back on the morning show and have missed him terribly. I follow Barbara Gaines on Twitter because I always liked her and it makes me feel ever so slightly connected to the show. I think the new format is perfect for this stage of his life and I'm really looking forward to it.

As for the cheating, it was disappointing but I firmly believe that's just none of my business (as long as it was consensual). Dave had women in high level positions on the show and that matters more to me.

• Love 5

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch yet. I liked Dave well enough but he wasn't really must see.  However, I think the reason he's back may be the kind of show it looks like he's doing here.  During the later years, he looked the most invested when he got to interview people that interested him/interesting people and he didn't have to interview people just there to promote their latest project.  That's not to say he couldn't be surprised or delighted by a guest of that type but he could also zone out really quickly.

This show?  He doesn't have to do a daily show.  He can interview whoever he darn well pleases.  And he doesn't have to fit a traditional late night talk show.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this! Great discussion/story telling by both of them, I liked the little segues or interstitials, on John Lewis especially.

Obama telling the story about dropping Malia off really rang true, and had my eyes watering a bit.

I'm really looking forward to the next one, a month IS too long!

• Love 9

I've seen Barack explain that he would never run for a third term because Michelle would leave him, but I still awwww'd when he followed with "I want her around".  And his stories about Sasha and Malia are always great.  I hope Dave has Michelle on at some point.

John Lewis is the best.  I've seen him speak twice and it's always amazing.  There's an energy from being in his presence that makes you feel like you can accomplish anything. 

It's only been one episode but I'm really loving Dave in this format.

• Love 19

Loved this. Two fantastically smart human beings, who I miss seeing on the teevee every day, having a fantastically smart conversation. 

Naturally, I have a nitpick -- the camerawork was really annoying. The constant movement seemed unnecessary and distracted from the conversation.

28 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Naturally, I have a nitpick -- the camerawork was really annoying. The constant movement seemed unnecessary and distracted from the conversation.

But the final shot, of the 'poignant' walk out? That was awesome, right? I loved how Obama was like, 'This is what they want, Dave...'

• Love 12
8 hours ago, saoirse said:

But the final shot, of the 'poignant' walk out? That was awesome, right? I loved how Obama was like, 'This is what they want, Dave...'

True fact! (I had posted about 3/4 of the way through and hadn't gotten to that last shot.) Also got super choked up when Dave closed the interview by telling Obama he was the first president in his lifetime of which he was truly proud. Thanks for the gut punch, Dave. 

It was interesting to me how DL was calling--even in jest--his departure from his CBS show a firing. I don't recall it being characterized that way at the time, at least not openly. Maybe it was one of those "we'll let you say you're retiring to save face but one way or another you're done here" deals?

I'm still not a fan of the beard but it's good to see him back in the game a bit.

• Love 6

I simply loved it.  I have always said that when engaged with a guest, there is no better interviewer than David Letterman.  It was wonderful to watch two such intelligent people conversing.  I thought it was a good combination of public policy and personal discussion. 

I loved the bit with John Lewis - a person I believe is one of the greatest living Americans.  I am in awe of his courage..  

I had to laugh when President Obama was talking about how when he went away to college and calling home collect.  I'm just a bit younger than he is, and I went to college less than 100 miles from home, and would talk to my mom maybe every 3-4 weeks for a few minutes.  Because long distance to my Depression-era mother was an extravagance reserved for emergencies such as a death in the family, hospitalizations, and the like.   

Dave's beard is horrible.  He says he will have it until his dying day.  If he would just trim it up a bit, it wouldn't be too bad.  I wonder how much grief Regina and Harry give him.  

I thought it was interesting at the beginning that the audience apparently did not know who would be appearing with Dave.   I assume the guess of Bill Clinton was because there must have been some Secret Service presence.  I wonder if that is the way all future shows will go, with the audience not knowing who will be "the next guest who needs no introduction."  Or was it necessary this time purely for security reasons?

• Love 14

Just watched this and it was marvelous.  It's so refreshing to hear two adults having an adult conversation on my TV.  Love John Lewis.  Laughed at Malia telling Dave that he looks like someone who knows how to party.  And that Obama was the one who knew what they wanted in the parting shot, not Mr. TV Guy.  

Can't wait for the next show!!

• Love 9
On 1/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, Calvada said:

I had to laugh when President Obama was talking about how when he went away to college and calling home collect.

OMG!  Me too.  Oh the memories of calling to say you got somewhere and are safe so you yell, "I'm here", when the operator informs about the collect call so your mom wasn't charged.  Good times!

18 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Just watched this and it was marvelous.  It's so refreshing to hear two adults having an adult conversation on my TV.  Love John Lewis.  Laughed at Malia telling Dave that he looks like someone who knows how to party.  And that Obama was the one who knew what they wanted in the parting shot, not Mr. TV Guy.  

Can't wait for the next show!!

I was a positively wonderful hour.  Obama is such a statesman, and is articulate and well read.  His humor is just the right touch.  I see that Malia has the same sort of humor.

I loved how Obama started asking Dave questions and Dave had to straighten him out on how things were going to work.  Funny.

I am sooo in on this show.

• Love 13

Oh the memories of calling to say you got somewhere and are safe so you yell, "I'm here", when the operator informs about the collect call so your mom wasn't charged.

Amateur.  You call and ask to speak to yourself. That way your mom can say, without lying and offending Jesus, that you aren't home.  

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Quof said:

Amateur.  You call and ask to speak to yourself. That way your mom can say, without lying and offending Jesus, that you aren't home.  

Never thought of that!  We found it fun for all of us to yell because my mom would have to call the other moms.  To really date myself, the other mom(s) could also be on your party line.............................

7 minutes ago, Quof said:

Amateur. 

So funny!!!!

• Love 7

I loved this show...as someone on the opposite spectrum of Obama's politics, I found it interesting to see him in a more down to earth light...and seeing Dave and Barack jibe each other was wonderful...and yes, that piece on the Selma March was moving...reminding me "the road to freedom is a long way to go".....John Lewis may be a legend but the controversy of accusations took a bit of reverence out of that segment for me...

Looking forward to what's next...but I DO miss Paul and the band...

• Love 2

The hubs and I watched this tonight--actually, I was watching it and my husband joined me about 10 minutes in.  It wasn't until the last 5 minutes or so that he said, "Who is that other guy?" and I realized he had sat through nearly the entire show not only not knowing who "the other guy" was, but also not even thinking to ask.  I'm also not entirely sure he even knows who David Letterman is...

Otherwise, love it!  My kids had a cheering fest when they first saw Obama...I've raised them right!

• Love 10

President Obama was a sight for sore eyes, but this was a side of Dave I have never seen before.  I could have listened to  the two of them all day.  Dave seemed especially moved by his walk with John Lewis (but who wouldn’t?); I thought he got really choked up when he asked aloud why he wasn’t at Selma.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Dave seemed especially moved by his walk with John Lewis (but who wouldn’t?); I thought he got really choked up when he asked aloud why he wasn’t at Selma.

Yeah, that got me. I don't think I actually understand the logic of his utterance: Obama asked him if he feels there's an element of luck in his life/career, and Dave talked about partying and getting drunk when he should have been at Selma. But I'm not sure I get how that is an answer to the question about luck, unless Dave's point was that he and we all owe a lot to those who fought for rights and that's...lucky? Still, it was a nice moment of Dave being clearly moved by a sense of feeling like he could have done more, and perhaps now will.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Yeah, that got me. I don't think I actually understand the logic of his utterance: Obama asked him if he feels there's an element of luck in his life/career, and Dave talked about partying and getting drunk when he should have been at Selma. But I'm not sure I get how that is an answer to the question about luck, unless Dave's point was that he and we all owe a lot to those who fought for rights and that's...lucky? Still, it was a nice moment of Dave being clearly moved by a sense of feeling like he could have done more, and perhaps now will.

I took Dave's response about luck as more about him being lucky that he didn't have to think about fighting for civil rights. He was lucky to be born as a white man in America and his big worry was going to Mexico and drinking with his friends. I found it to be an honest assessment of how sometimes your life circumstances are such that there are things that don't affect you. As a much older man, he is now saying, why wasn't I more involved and more concerned about the situation of men who were his own age at the time, fighting for the same rights that he got to take for granted.

Edited by msani19
  • Love 12
On 1/16/2018 at 1:08 AM, OtterMommy said:

The hubs and I watched this tonight--actually, I was watching it and my husband joined me about 10 minutes in.  It wasn't until the last 5 minutes or so that he said, "Who is that other guy?" and I realized he had sat through nearly the entire show not only not knowing who "the other guy" was, but also not even thinking to ask.  I'm also not entirely sure he even knows who David Letterman is...

Otherwise, love it!  My kids had a cheering fest when they first saw Obama...I've raised them right!

My husband was the same!  The way he said it was like he was wondering how the Secret Service let this deranged guy that close to Obama.

This was awesome.  I don’t care who is interviewing Obama, I want to hear it.  

• Love 2
On 1/15/2018 at 6:10 PM, jumper sage said:

OMG!  Me too.  Oh the memories of calling to say you got somewhere and are safe so you yell, "I'm here", when the operator informs about the collect call so your mom wasn't charged.  Good times!

We had a code. I'd call home, and if everything was okay, the call would be from "Grace Grimaldi." (Princess Grace, one of Mom's faves). 

If something was wrong, and Mom needed to call me right back, (direct was cheaper than collect), the call would be from "Bonnie Parker," (Bonnie and Clyde).  Of course, this only worked if they knew where you were.  It was also pre-caller ID. 

I'm two years younger than POTUS Obama 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

We had a code. I'd call home, and if everything was okay, the call would be from "Grace Grimaldi." (Princess Grace, one of Mom's faves). 

If something was wrong, and Mom needed to call me right back, (direct was cheaper than collect), the call would be from "Bonnie Parker," (Bonnie and Clyde).  Of course, this only worked if they knew where you were.  It was also pre-caller ID. 

I'm two years younger than POTUS Obama 

That's a good code.  I am 1 year younger than POTUS Obama.  Do you remember party lines?

On 1/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, Calvada said:

Dave's beard is horrible.  He says he will have it until his dying day.  If he would just trim it up a bit, it wouldn't be too bad.  I wonder how much grief Regina and Harry give him.  

Its silly that he's boxed himself in now by saying that.

On 1/22/2018 at 3:03 PM, jumper sage said:

That's a good code.  I am 1 year younger than POTUS Obama.  Do you remember party lines?

My maternal grandparents lived in a small town in Alabama between Huntsville & Birmingham. South of Huntsville, north of Birmingham; closer to Birmingham. Their network TV came from Birmingham, not Huntsville, & we always flew into Birmingham when we went to visit, if we didn't drive. Yes, it was basically "out in the sticks". 

Anyway, my grandparents had a party line with their next door (next hill) neighbors for as far back as I can remember when I was growing up & we'd visit. I don't remember why they had to share a party line to start with, but they eventually ended up with private lines; I wanna say by at least when I was in late Elementary School, Junior High, or High School, but I don't remember when. Once they got it, they had it until they died.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and change punctuation.
  • Love 2

I love that they were eating In-N-Out to open and close the episode.  I also hate it because I'm a few thousand miles from In-N-Out and I WANT IT. 

George talking about his humanitarian work and Dave visiting the Clooneys in Kentucky made the episode great.  I laughed at Dave wanting to join the family and then asking them to pay for lunch at the end.

This format really is perfect for Dave.  It looks like he's bringing on guests he both genuinely likes and admires and this allows him to really talk to them in the way that he couldn't on The Late Show.  Plus we learn a bit more about the man himself which I always welcome.

• Love 5

Another great episode—it actually felt too short. 

I'm so glad we got to meet the Clooney family, and learn where George's instinct to help others came from. 

17 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I laughed at Dave wanting to join the family

I think we all want to be adopted by them now!

• Love 3
On 2/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, GaT said:

I liked it, but I don't think it was as good as the Barack Obama episode.

Yes, I agree. It was a good episode, but there was no way for it to measure up to Obama.

George Clooney has always been so charming to me. I'm old enough to remember watching him as George on the Facts of Life (yikes, I'm that old!) but I've been a fan since those days. I do still enjoy seeing him, although ironically I haven't seen any of his movies in years. He comes across as quite likable and engaged in making a difference in the world. I don't need to hear about it in the press all the time, cause I hope it's something he does for the greater good and not for the publicity. The more enjoyable parts were actually the parts with his family. 

I had never heard his wife speak before so that was new. 

• Love 1

I never know in interviews how much actors are acting (I assume they are to some degree at least "on"), but I thought he came across as pretty down-to-earth. He's been ultra successful, yet the values of his upbringing apparently stuck with him. He's matter-of-fact about his looks (how silly would it be to deny?) and the fact that he has a lot of money, which was kind of refreshing. No guilt there. No need to self-deprecate; it's just the state of things. I enjoyed the segments with his family and gaining insight into his background. However, it seemed like they spent more time with them than with George.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2018 at 9:58 AM, stonehaven said:

I really liked this one...a bit better than Obama. I like that I felt I knew both Dave and George a bit better..and the family glimpses were really good.

It was only a sentence or two but when Dave was talking about his father I felt like it made so many things about Dave make sense.

I also tear up whenever Dave talks about Harry.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

This was my least favorite of the interviews so far. While I think Malala is very interesting, I don't think Dave was the best choice to interview her. I also thought the whole thing with him at Oxford with her friends & father just fell flat. I did LMAO off when Dave asked her how she felt about Trump & she said “Well, I’m in the UK, so what do you think about him?” Well played Malala, well played.

• Love 4

Agreed. I felt like Dave was trying to make it too much about him, and it was really annoying. I don't think that's what he did with the Clooneys' Iraqi friend.  We got to know more about him, and it was fascinating. There is a lot more to Malala than what happened to her, and it seemed like she had to spend more time trying to rein him in, than getting to show that. Disappointing. 

• Love 2

Just watched this and really enjoyed it.  I love both George and Dave talking about their childhoods.  Loved George's story about putting stones in his shoes and jumping off the top bunk.  The Clooney family seems totally grounded and incredibly selfless.  The young man they took into their family was charming.  I hope everything works out for him.

This seems like a great format for Dave.  

• Love 3

I didn't not like this as much as the two of you.  I thought she was fascinating and incredibly intelligent.  She knows how to hit her points.  And even though she looked a little uncomfortable with the game at the end, she rallied and was funny - beard or no beard was great!  I appreciate that Dave loves Harry so much that he just worries about everything and I think she got that was quite adept at answering his questions.  I thought the stage portion of the show was wonderful.  

I agree that this was #3 of the three shows, and I also agree that the part at Oxford was a little weird and didn't go over well.  Everything isn't going to work though, and I'm just thrilled to have Dave on my TV.  Just wish it was more than once a month.

• Love 3
On 3/11/2018 at 9:20 PM, ebk57 said:

I thought she was fascinating and incredibly intelligent.  She knows how to hit her points. 

She is, but I didn't feel like I learned anything new about her than what I knew already. She also seemed rather guarded to me, maybe because this is an unusual format. Of course, she is a lot younger than Obama and Clooney, so there's only so much life you can talk about when you're basically just a college kid. 

• Love 2