Type keyword(s) to search

I Want That Wedding! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved this week's couple. I found them utterly delightful  and I want to be friends with them. I really enjoyed how the wedding planner showed them some unusual choices based on their personalities, as well. The downtown high rise seemed perfect for a young, hip couple.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I was pleased we are getting same-sex weddings and diverse couples.

Ditto ... You'd think with all the wedding shows I've been watching I'd be a hardened soul but I had goosebumps AND shed a few tears of joy during the "Vietnamese or Vegas" wedding vows of Davion and Bruce ... but when I did a quick Google to make sure I was spelling their names right, I found their wedding website which said they were getting married at a country club in DTLA ... that didn't look like any country club I'd seen, on a high-rise rooftop ... wonder if they changed their plans or needed to make it a fakeout because of the fact it was being televised (OR, perhaps, it was a "faux wedding" for TV?) ... No matter what, they were so adorable. 

• Love 2
On 7/1/2018 at 7:43 AM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I guess (either for budget purposes or not sure if it was going to get off the ground past a first season) all of the couples and venues are in the LA area ... I REALLY wish they would identify the venues specifically because while I could figure some of them out (especially in the first episode, with 1909 in Topanga and Madera Kitchen), there have been some really nice-looking places (maybe wineries?) I'd love to be able to ID and pass the info on to someone I know who is planning a smallish wedding out there next year.

Agreed! I'm really curious. You'd think they'd want the free advertising, especially since this show is usually pretty positive about everything. And regardless, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Two of the venues on the Captain America episode were easy to identify too, but I'm really curious what the downtown high rise venue was in this last episode, and I'm also curious the details behind renting a private residence for a function. 

In tonight's episode, the bridge grated just a wee bit.  Nothing too terrible but every time her fiancee had a suggestion, she acted like he had just told her he cheated on her.  "What?  We never agreed to that."

I was way off on the weddings, mainly because I thought the first wedding only had 75 guests.  200 would up the cost.  I liked inside of that venue but the cars in the parking lot behind where they were saying their vows was an ugly look even for the industrial theme they had going on.  But I would almost bet money that the reason they ran out of food was because they ordered for fewer people than actually showed up.  With most restaurant buffets, I always feel like way more food per person is given than is needed. 

I was feeling for the fiance if he indeed start feeling nauseated at the wedding.  I get horribly sea sick and I don't care how calm the water is or how much dramamine I might take, I always run the risk of not feeling well. (Heck, watching the ship sway on Black Sails can even get to me.)  So a boat wedding would be a no go.  The Yacht Club seems like a good compromise. 

This episode also made me wonder if couples flew in from this.  It really does seem like this couple still lives in Chicago--although maybe I'm wrong about that.  But it's clear all the weddings took place in CA. 

• Love 1

Yeah, the bride was a tad tiresome, wasn't she? "wow, you have an opinion! you are not just lying down and agreeing with whatever I want! This concerns me!" Honey, take a seat. Your guy has some great ideas and wants to be involved. You'd think she'd be grateful. 

Sigh. A "Marie Antoinette" theme? Seriously, these people. Marie Antoinette was dragged to the guillotine! Never mind that there was nothing remotely reminiscent of poor Marie, or anything else that seemed especially French. It was very pretty, though. 

• Love 6

Ugh, this couple. She seemed to be badgering him about being "on diet." Jeez, he looked fine--have some mac and cheese!

The yacht wedding may have been in Marina Del Rey. I had a yacht wedding there, much smaller yacht. You do not get seasick on the harbor. Either producers told him to get seasick or he was conning her with the nauseous drama. He just didn't want a boat wedding. The yacht club looked lovely though.

I was disappointed in all the weddings for odd reasons--the brides' makeup in the first wedding was bonkers; the second wedding's decor was overly mismatched and tacky, and the DIY photo booth on the boat was so lame.

• Love 3
On 6/24/2018 at 5:52 PM, Ciarrai said:

Wow did I ever want to slap the groom of the latest episode. Shut up Ryan.

I watched a few minutes of Ryan on Youtube - Ryan, please shut up!  He was, to me, clearly auditioning for a radio DJ job or something as he was ON ON and ON!!!  Yes, I love my country too but tone it down, less can be more.  He struck me as the type of groom who thinks a wedding and reception is equivalent to a frat party.  No, no they are not.

• Love 3

This groom-to-be gave me David vibes (MAFS a couple of seasons ago). Something about his vocal tone/inflection or speech pattern. Anyone else?

I thought surely they must be related.

On 7/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Ditto ... You'd think with all the wedding shows I've been watching I'd be a hardened soul but I had goosebumps AND shed a few tears of joy during the "Vietnamese or Vegas" wedding vows of Davion and Bruce ... but when I did a quick Google to make sure I was spelling their names right, I found their wedding website which said they were getting married at a country club in DTLA ... that didn't look like any country club I'd seen, on a high-rise rooftop ... wonder if they changed their plans or needed to make it a fakeout because of the fact it was being televised (OR, perhaps, it was a "faux wedding" for TV?) ... No matter what, they were so adorable. 

I was curious what their venue was, so I did a bit of googling and I think they got married at the City Club.  It's a private club in DTLA, members are mostly professionals who work downtown.  

• Love 1

The premise would work better if they showed similarly size weddings (probably difficult to accomplish, but obviously 75 vs 200 guests is going to have a huge impact on budget) and didn't include the cost of the wedding dress (another cost that is not too relevant to the overall experience and is very personal). 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

The premise would work better if they showed similarly size weddings (probably difficult to accomplish, but obviously 75 vs 200 guests is going to have a huge impact on budget) and didn't include the cost of the wedding dress (another cost that is not too relevant to the overall experience and is very personal). 

Absolutely, Evangeline ... Including the wedding gown/attire is ridiculous IMHO. It's not like there are not enough "Say Yes to the Dress" types of shows where we can watch bridezillas try on overpriced Pnina gowns and manufacture faux reality TV drama. It seems outrageous and takes away from the premise of the show itself to include that in the cost (especially when some of them are like $4000) if we're trying to kind of weigh like vs like (I'm guessing that, say, Davion and Bruce's wedding attire did NOT cost $4000 each). 

I also think (if they're planning on producing more episodes) it would be cool if, with that price list they show at the end, they could throw out an "estimated cost per guest" number to give people a better idea of how a 75-person wedding vs a 200-person wedding would cost at same venue. Not that I am their target audience but ... (okay, okay, as soon-to-be-mom-to-bride maybe I am!)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

You do not get seasick on the harbor. Either producers told him to get seasick or he was conning her with the nauseous drama.

It's possible it was made up but this show, so far, has felt pretty TLC-created-drama free.  There may not be waves in the harbor but your'e still moving. 

51 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

I've been glad that they talked about the cost of the wedding dress in the last episode and in this recent one for at least some of the weddings.  I'm wondering if people are unwilling to share publicly how much their dresses are out of fear of being shamed "You spent that much for that?" But who knows?  Even the Say Yes To The Dress shows have cut back on sharing how much the dresses they show cost.  Now it's all "See Price @tlc.om"

12 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I also think (if they're planning on producing more episodes) it would be cool if, with that price list they show at the end, they could throw out an "estimated cost per guest" number to give people a better idea of how a 75-person wedding vs a 200-person wedding would cost at same venue.

I do like this idea a lot.  I do think there's in value in showing different-sized weddings because it gives good variety but it's possible a cheaper wedding might end up having the same cost-per-guest cost as the most expensive wedding and you can see how the guest list affects the type of wedding that can be thrown.

• Love 2

I’m enjoying this show so far. Not only because I’ve had to price out some of those unusual touches for corporate events, but the show seems free of “Four Weddings” tacky “MY wedding is better” oneupmanship. Totally agree with the posters upthread who noted that “Great Gatsby” and “Marie Antoinette” are not appropriate party themes. Read, people!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I had a yacht wedding there, much smaller yacht. You do not get seasick on the harbor. Either producers told him to get seasick or he was conning her with the nauseous drama. He just didn't want a boat wedding. The yacht club looked lovely though.

Sadly, some of us are so sensitive that we do get seasick in flat, calm water or at anchor. I need to take meclizine, or similar, when getting on any boat, even in flat river waters. 

• Love 7

The dog that went down the aisle did not look happy to be there. 

I like the mix of couples that have appeared on this show, both the "contestants" and the example wedding couples. (Well, except for the America! F'yeah! dude.) There's been good diversity in the couples, the types of weddings, and the price ranges. I wish we could get a more detailed look at the budgets though, including per person figures as suggested previously. 

I hope there's a recap show later where we see the contestants' weddings and their ultimate budgets. I'd love to see how things turned out.

• Love 8

Thanks, Evangeline! What a view!!!

Also, was surprised to see them "recycle" a venue on last night's episode (the 1909 in Topanga Canyon) ... I recognized it immediately but thought, well, maybe there are several places that look like this because it's odd they'd use a place twice but at the end I did see the sign to confirm. It's lovely. 

Just caught up with this last one  - the second venue looked a lot like a previous one from the first episode.  I thought Marie Antoinette was a ridiculous 'theme'.

I knew the yacht was the cheapest just from watching Four Weddings. It always seems like the boats are the least expensive venues, maybe because they're all inclusive. I get sick just looking at boats so could feel for the groom.

Too much up speak, vocal fry & dragging out their words in this one; personally I found it difficult & annoying to listen to them talk.

• Love 1

Though I understand the premise of "show the couples their options" I didn't like that the couple and wedding planner were at the First Look for the second wedding. That moment should be just for the two of them and the photographer, not some randoms.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

No idea whether the host of the show is someone I should know, but she looks like Joan Rivers (who I loved) on a bad day.

She was just the wedding planner for this episode.  There have been different ones for each couple.  Yes, she had that weird plastic surgery look, but I think she just has unusual eyes which she seems to emphasize with her make-up.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

No idea whether the host of the show is someone I should know, but she looks like Joan Rivers (who I loved) on a bad day.

Grotesque.  I've never seen anyone pulled that tight.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, In2You said:

Finally we saw the couple get married. 

Yes we did.  But I think they made a mistake.  The Chinese couple that got married on a Monday said they chose the date because it's 1/8/18 and it'd be easy to remember.  But then the wedding footage said "eight months later" I believe.  8 months?  8 months would be September.

8 hours ago, Josette said:

She was just the wedding planner for this episode.  There have been different ones for each couple.  Yes, she had that weird plastic surgery look, but I think she just has unusual eyes which she seems to emphasize with her make-up.

The wedding planner looked like a cross between Barbra Streisand and post-plastic surgery Joan Rivers.

• Love 1

I was happy to see the follow up to the couple's wedding too but it made me wonder, if they continue to do that, how long does it take to produce one show? 3 different weddings then waiting for the couple to have theirs.

The only "Four Weddings" thing that I'll miss in this show is not seeing any super duper low low budget weddings for their consideration. Thinking of the Four Weddings where the couple served pizza and bottled soda at their reception.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

There's a show on Netflix called Cheapest Weddings and it is EVERYTHING.

I have this on my list, now I know to definitely give it a shot.

• Love 1