Type keyword(s) to search

I Want That Wedding! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not sure what it accomplished that they couldn't have figured out on their own without a show helping them crash 3 weddings. I hope the bride & groom were compensated somehow for the wedding being televised -or maybe they were re-enactments- or staged just for this show & promotion of certain locations, performers, etc.

• Love 2

I actually really enjoyed the first episode because the potential bride and groom were, IMHO, very likable AND because there may be a PMS-family wedding to be planned in the not too distant future in that area so it was very enlightening to get a basic idea of some of the costs (except $750 for a solo singer/guitarist playing Hawaiian music???? I call complete BS, even if he played for the entire night ... unless they had to pay his airfare from Hawaii)

But YES, I kept wondering how on earth they were able to convince the actual three couples to let these people crash their weddings (frankly, though, I feel the same way when I watch "Four Weddings" ... maybe even more strongly, because at least in the premiere episode, I thought the couple were very tactful and complimentary and pleasant about the three weddings they attended, whereas with "Four Weddings" their so-called "NEW FRIENDS" pretty much trash the weddings, or elements of the wedding, to excuse their down-scoring/lowballing them (though I have noticed they almost NEVER trash the dress ... it always "fits her perfectly" and is "just her style, though not my style" ... maybe that's an unspoken rule). 

• Love 3

I found this show addictive even though it wasn't super great.  I guess I like challenging myself to see if I can guess how much things are--or at least guess the order in which they'll fall in terms of cost. 

I can't believe the couple in the premiere episode didn't realize how much it would cost to rent out the entire establishment of a working restaurant.  It wouldn't matter how big the wedding was, the restaurant would require a minimum to make it worth closing.

• Love 2

Agree with everything you said. I wonder if the pitch to these people getting married is "your wedding is on TV! We'll all know how much you paid for stuff!" The engaged couple was very polite, I would be super scared to say anything rude on camera about a total stranger's wedding. And yes, Four Weddings probably does ask the brides never to say anything nasty about the dresses. Leave the dresses alone, talk smack about everything else!

On 6/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I actually really enjoyed the first episode because the potential bride and groom were, IMHO, very likable AND because there may be a PMS-family wedding to be planned in the not too distant future in that area so it was very enlightening to get a basic idea of some of the costs (except $750 for a solo singer/guitarist playing Hawaiian music???? I call complete BS, even if he played for the entire night ... unless they had to pay his airfare from Hawaii)

\

That price for the musician didn't surprise me. It costs upwards of $2500 to hire a 5 piece band where I live in the midwest.

I've liked both couples so far, and have been enjoying seeing some of the original touches the couples are using. A parrot to greet you at the door? An aerialist pouring champagne? Who even thinks of that stuff? 

A big no on the KFC catering though. 

• Love 1

I've liked both couples so far. As far as the weddings they attend, I'm sure the couples are compensated somehow. Lots of people want to be on TV. I can't even imagine how much trouble and how expensive it would be to hire actors and stage these weddings.

• Love 1
On 6/18/2018 at 11:19 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I've liked both couples so far, and have been enjoying seeing some of the original touches the couples are using. A parrot to greet you at the door? An aerialist pouring champagne? Who even thinks of that stuff? 

I did not really understand why either of those was appealing, unless one member of the couple is an ornithologist or a circus performer. They just seemed sort of random to me. I guess I do not appreciate spectacle for spectacle's sake as part of a wedding.

I do wish that there could be a follow-up at the end of the episode showing how much the couple actually ends up spending and what they do with it. Seems like that would tie the episodes together better. I'm sure it would take too long to produce the shows then, though, to get from the deciding on a budget phase to the actual ceremony itself.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I did not really understand why either of those was appealing, unless one member of the couple is an ornithologist or a circus performer. They just seemed sort of random to me. I guess I do not appreciate spectacle for spectacle's sake as part of a wedding.

Oh, me either! Its just amusing, if baffling. After binging on Four Weddings for the last couple of weekends (yeah, I need to get out more), its just very entertaining to see some original ideas, not another wedding on the beach/at a golf club/in a hotel banquet room. The girl who was dead set on an aerialist had me laughing. She was so convinced that it was a must! Along with the suspended wedding cake--never in a million years would I have thought of either one. And really, the suspended cake was just stupid. How do you cut it? I'd be living in terror that it would fall over.

• Love 5
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Along with the suspended wedding cake--never in a million years would I have thought of either one. And really, the suspended cake was just stupid. How do you cut it? I'd be living in terror that it would fall over.

Oh I know I was afraid of that too!  That was way over the top (IMO).

The aerialists seem like a circus to me, so not my bag, but I love animals (particularly birds :)), & would have probably just sat with the parrot all day LOL.

Edited by gonecrackers
unnecessary 's'
  • Love 3
On 6/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, gonecrackers said:

Personally the parrot was my fav- was surprised that was $1100!

Who the hell pays $1100 for a parrot when they're trying to stay within a budget?  And how tacky is it to ask a bride and groom how much things cost during the event?

I must say I was very happy by how pleasant all the couples were, despite some weird choices.  

I also think it's a privilege and very personal touch to have a family member or friend perform the ceremony, not something to be dismissed as a money saver.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Who the hell pays $1100 for a parrot when they're trying to stay within a budget?  And how tacky is it to ask a bride and groom how much things cost during the event?

I guess the budgeted for the parrot; s/he was worth every penny. :)

I was also hoping they talk on the side somewhere quietly, as that is rude. But anyone watching the show after will also know what they spent, which is why I would think they're getting something for having their wedding featured.

• Love 1

I wish they showed bits of the couple's wedding at the end. That's the one thing this show is missing. 

I wasn't feeling this groom and his Make America Great Again theme. He was very Groomzilla. Also the bride is right for a 4th of July type theme the execution is best with little DIY touches and as an outdoor wedding.

• Love 2
(edited)

He was annoying, although props to him being able to sew.  But man, not only was his obsessive need for "America: Fuck Yeah!" annoying but he was constantly moving and show boating.  I did think his fiancee was pretty good at guessing the price of things.

One thing I really like about this show is that the weddings so far have been varied.  While there have been traditional weddings (church/ceremony), there are plenty of unique elements to those weddings in addition to there being many unique weddings so far in the series.

That said, The Great Gatsby?  A duo who loves The Great Gatsby so much that they want to have a Gatsby themed wedding?  I would think a Roaring 20s Party would be more general and less tragically specific?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

What an ego he had! She will have to have the patience of a saint for that marriage to work. 

The last wedding seemed way overpriced. And what was with all the plastic plates and cups? Every wedding had them.

• Love 6

I watched the first show and the couple was cute, but this guy from last night? What's wrong with this girl? I half expected him to say "I've already picked out my dress-but don't tell her!" Didn't really care for any of the weddings, but if I had to pick- #1! Themes are for children's parties! Special shoutout to the human wine bar- so tacky!

• Love 4

I'm caught up through the first two episodes now and I REALLY liked both of the first two couples (Corey and Chris cracked me up, him especially ... glad he got his red suit!) ... I especially like how restrained production is compared to, say, Four Weddings in terms of going totally cheeseball on the histrionics and embarrassing shuffle-ball-step introductions.

Now I'm stoked to see the third episode since it sounds like this is gonna be snarkworthy groomzilla! 

I've also noticed that certain expenses I'd expect to be high on the "must list" such as photography (and not sure if that includes videography), DJ, etc. is not shown on the five items they show on the screen before the reveal, but then again that list doesn't add up to the final amount ... 

I guess what I would want to know is the full costs of the venue, food and drink, photography/videography, DJ or band, etc. is ... as well as any other extras they may have added (cake, which I guess is often brought in from elsewhere and I would want to know that separate from the food, ice sculptures, stupid photo booth) ... and am curious how much the size of the guest list factors into that (I guess if it's a buyout it doesn't factor as much as if it's per-plate dinners in a rented hall). 

It seems we get the price for the aerialist pouring champagne, the Hawaiian guitarist, and the talking parrot but not some of the other key costs (I've only seen two episodes and my memory is not 100% but I remember that food, alcohol, venue are always shown but not a lot of the other items ... I guess they show gown because that seems to be topic of discussion.

PS To correct my own misconception re: the cost of the Hawaiian guitarist, my daughter told me that she was actually paid $500 to play and sing one song on acoustic guitar as processional at someone's wedding in that area not that long ago so I guess that the going price is higher than I would have thought.

Is it standard when tallying up cost of wedding (ceremony and reception) to include the bride's gown? What about hair and makeup for bride and attendants (I know attendants buy their own dresses) ... Does that mean it also includes the groom's clothes? 

I'm still trying to figure out how the wedding in Episode 2 on the rooftop of the hotel, beautiful as it was, could cost SOOOOOO much more than some of the other lovely weddings did! Did anyone here catch that or figure it out?

6 hours ago, Patrizio said:

Special shoutout to the human wine bar- so tacky!

Didn't they pay a ton for that too?  I thought, what a waste of money. They could've put that into the food. The 'cocktail hour' looked terrible & the dinner not much better, plus all the plastic - get rid of the human wine bar & feed people properly, is my opinion.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He was annoying, although props to him being able to sew.  But man, not only was his obsessive need for "America: Fuck Yeah!" annoying but he was constantly moving and show boating.

Oh my gosh, yes. I felt kind of bad for the couples at the weddings, that this rando guy was acting that way on the dance floor. Get up and dance if you want, but at least try to be somewhat unobtrusive.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

Wow did I ever want to slap the groom of the latest episode. Shut up Ryan.

And the Hitler Youth haircut! He gave me the creeps.

That champagne girl was ridiculous. And seriously, a "Gatsby theme"? Jesus, there's nothing celebratory or even cheerful in the Great Gatsby.It cracks me up that people think its an appropriate theme for a party of any kind. Why not just say a Roaring 20's party or something? What's next? A Grapes of Wrath theme? Jesus.

The White House knockoff was, um, really something.

This is the first week that I haven't been impressed with cleverness, originality, or even the loveliness of the weddings. Most seemed to be borderline tacky, garden variety weddings with average food, drink and entertainment. Not a fan.

• Love 7

I do think gold plated table girl showed some personality so I could see how she would be fun to have as entertainment.

And I do think the problem with a waiter, at least for this show, is that a waiter would kind of get boring. And to be honest, while I don't think I would ever want aerialists, there's no doubt it's something people would remember and talk about when it came to my wedding.

I thought the bride looked a bit understandably irked with him (& the wedding planner) sometimes. I agree with all here that his behavior at the weddings was obnoxious; he wasn't a 'real' guest & should've had some common courtesy. The quick peck kisses while each couple were saying their vows seemed for the camera; I wonder how sincere he is with their relationship, or if he's very controlling with everything else too. Yeah, I don't really see them ending well but maybe she's got something where they do mesh- hopefully for them.

• Love 4

Ah yes, another wedding show to feed my reality wedding tv addiction. I'm not married, don't plan on getting married but I do so enjoy watching others plan and execute and moan and groan over the details. I haven't caught the most recent ep but the it was quite refreshing to watch the first two couples who clearly are partners in this endeavor vs Bridezilla's who browbeat the "love of their life".

• Love 5

I saw this for the first time today. It seems like a cute variation on 4 Weddings. The couples on the episodes I saw seemed fairly likable. It was fun to see the different weddings they attended. 

• Love 1

Oh, man, I thought the Vietnamese/Cambodian couple was one of the cutest couples I've EVER seen on one of these shows! I really enjoyed that episode (from the vows from the first couple right down to the dogs' tux and gown). 

Also, I guess these shows duplicate some of the venues because in the Mr. RaRa America episode, didn't they end up either HAVING their event or looking at some airplane museum? Isn't that where the couples ended up on Married At First Flight? 

I guess (either for budget purposes or not sure if it was going to get off the ground past a first season) all of the couples and venues are in the LA area ... I REALLY wish they would identify the venues specifically because while I could figure some of them out (especially in the first episode, with 1909 in Topanga and Madera Kitchen), there have been some really nice-looking places (maybe wineries?) I'd love to be able to ID and pass the info on to someone I know who is planning a smallish wedding out there next year.

• Love 2

I did also like the couple, although they seemed very 'on' the whole time, but hey, they're 'on' TV so I guess that's part of it. I was very happy they went with that venue but that he agreed to go for the 8 courses & 3 outfit changes. She had a good reason for it given it was her culture, honors her parents - & it's also different. Loved the doggies outfits & that they'll have a part in the wedding too. :)

• Love 2

I wanted to go to the first wedding!

i was a little concerned about eight courses of dinner--I've been to functions where the time between salad and dinner alone is an hour! But it appears it would be family style, and most of it would be brought out at once.

The last bride wore a $3500 dress for ONE HOUR. 

• Love 3

Yeah that was crazy with the expensive gown for just the ceremony!

With some weddings they have dancing in between courses; might be an option. But the servings looked small (but good), so it probably doesn't take much time to get through the meal.

6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

It should be food-dance-more food-more dance-food again. Guests shouldn't be stuck sitting and eating too long.

I completely agree. Duh! Look at my “handle.”  :)

• Love 1
(edited)

So we're 3-for-4 on likable couples now (though I hate to knock sweet Marquie out of the running, she needs to dump that obnoxious douchebag and run fast now!) ... LOVED the Vietnamese/Cambodian couple! She's gorgeous and he's absolutely adorkable. Not to be a broken record, but I think the show is smart to have MOSTLY couples you like and want to see have a great wedding! I have enough shows where I can snark-hate on the fame-ho's. 

ETA: Apologies for not 100% remembering if I have this right but was Marquie the one who used the term "this is right up my alley" approximately eleventy-million times during their episode? I threw a fuzzy slipper at the screen at one point.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 6

I've also been pretty impressed with the diversity if the couples---not only with those going to look at weddings but with those getting married.  It's so smart because the traditions are all so different and the food isn't all "chicken or fish?" at every wedding.

• Love 5