Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01 Redemption

• Start Topic

(edited)

Is there any chance we can retroactively control Jesse's camera and make it tilt down?  :)  

Okay, sorry........ Not really.

So, a couple of days ago I was searching all around because Carleigh's extended exit was supposed to be on the History channel.  It wasn't until the next morning.   

What I did find was Fuckin' Larry on Youtube saying that:  

Spoiler

He and Nichole (after this season) are teaming up to give classes on survival.  Seriously?  The profanity laced mouse-squisher and the ............Nichole????  Okay, now there's a pair I can hardly imagine.  I suppose it's 
$$$.  

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by MostlyContent
13 hours ago, holly4755 said:

that was dead wood, I think she was looking for live trees.

Disregarding the dead wood, you could see a line of live trees behind her off in the distance.  But it was hard to tell how far away they were, and I don't know how far away from the drop off spot that they can wander.  Even if they were in bounds, they were probably further away from the water than she wanted to be.

10 hours ago, Subrookie said:

I did, and do, really like Carleigh. But, I've personally extracted 3 barbed hooks before in really remote locations.

I don't know if she physically couldn't get the hook out, or she couldn't tolerate the pain involved.  Doesn't really matter.  Once she determined that she couldn't get it out, she had no choice but to tap out.  Once the producers and med team viewed her footage and realized she had a hook stuck in her hand, they likely would have pulled her anyway.  Too big a risk for infection.

9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Is it just me, or was the camera focusing on Nicole’s boobs more than anything else?

Knowing myself as I do, I'm really surprised I didn't notice this.  

But I can't call Nicole's modesty into question, especially considering Callie from season 3 was getting naked for the cameras at the drop of a hat.

• Love 1

I had a rough week what with the suicides of Kate Spade and chef Anthony Bourdain, but then to witness the heartbreak of such a senseless tap-out from my favorite Carleigh only made it worse, especially knowing how much this meant to her.  What rotten luck!  I thought she got a raw deal in her season in being made to tap out so close to the end and was hoping this could be her time.  Oh well, I hope she doesn't take it too badly.  Everyone at my house thought she should have had a multi tool with her and I agree.

I didn't think Sam would be a crybaby, especially so soon.  Perhaps he just had a bit of PTSD being in the same situation as his first season and knowing what he was going to have to face?  I can't imagine what it's like going through this kind of ordeal so I'm reserving judgment and just hope he was getting that out of his system.  I know he has a new baby at home but I thought he was made of tougher stuff despite appearances to the contrary.

• Love 3

I think, in some ways, being a returnee might be harder. You KNOW just how bad that isolation can get. Kind of akin to how I was much more fearful of labor the first time, when I knew exactly what I was in for. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m going to take a class that Alan Kay teaches locally. Not sure when, not sure how much it costs, but I figure I can learn a few things.

Cool!  Come back and tell us a few stories about it when you're done.

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Everyone at my house thought she should have had a multi tool with her and I agree.

Maybe they should put a multi tool in the med kit.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Subrookie said:

I'm going to go against the grain here. I was a canoe guide in Northern Manitoba back in my younger years. 

I did, and do, really like Carleigh. But, I've personally extracted 3 barbed hooks before in really remote locations. 1 of them very similar to her injury. 

I think it's foolish to not have a multi tool as one of your survival items. All three times I was able to use my multi-tool to snip the eye and pull the hook out. There is no limit to how useful that tool is. 

Carleigh said that she could remove it if she had a multi tool of some sort. Her issue was that she could not safely remove it with the limited equipment that she had available to her at camp. She actually referenced being able to clip off a specific piece with the multi tool, that she didn't have. I suspect that you have removed the barbed fish hook in remote locations with equipment that she did not have. I would also point out that the clip that they showed of the hook being removed took place over 24 hours after she was extracted and at a medical clinic which seemed to struggle with it. So I don't think it was a standard removal.

I watched on Thursday night but was exhausted. I saw the first 40 minutes and then fell asleep. I rewatched with my Husband on Friday night and spent the entire fish hook in the hand segment staring at my IPad and listening. I cannot stand watching stuff like that. I feel awful for her but I think she made the right call.

Sam is fine. He is going to struggle with the emotional element, but that is not a surprise. It is who he is. Right now he is pointing to the lack of fishing gear as a positive...

I love Nicole. She has a great attitude, mad skills and is just fun to watch.

So very excited to have the show back. I am not looking forward to the backboard extraction.

• Love 3

Too bad Carleigh didn’t get the memo about the need for a multi tool. I’m surprised there wasn’t some sort of surgical scissors or clippers in the first aid kit. Was a bit bummed she didn’t at least try using her big saw to cut the eye off the hook. ( I know...she may have cut off her hand trying)

I have my guess who the big medical evac in the preview is. 

Sam seemed to be putting on the theatrics early. I see him going far though. 

I wish they would profile each contestant and their 10 items at the beginning of the season. ( history channel has the videos).

• Love 2

I am assuming that Carleigh did not have the necessary tools to remove the fish hook. She was trying to remove the fish hook with a knife tied to her hand in some way, if she had better tools available, she would have used them. She last 80+ days the first time out and was pulled because of her body weight, I suspect that she would have done what she needed to do to stay in the game. I have no problem with the idea that if you call for medical help, you are out of the game. The whole point of the show is to survive alone. If you require help to survive, you are out.

And I don't think they are allowed a multi tool. I have not seen people using multi tools in any season, unless you call the axe with a saw on it as a multi tool... I suspect that everyone would have taken a multi tool if it as available because they can be used in a ton of different ways. Instead we see them whittling with the big knife they bring.

• Love 5
On 6/16/2018 at 11:26 AM, ghoulina said:

I kind of wished they'd given a quick update at the end of the show as to what happened with her hand. I'm very curious if it was indeed in the tendon. 

The video on History.com didn't give much info... the doctor was like "OK, we're gonna pull it out now" and she said "Uh, wait... what if it's on the tendon? Is that safe?" and the doctor just kind of said "OK, we're going to pull it out now". Seemed to be a bit of a language barrier? Then Carleigh asked again, "What if it's on the tendon" and a nurse tried to helpfully say, "Doesn't matter now... it has to come out and this is the way it's done."

Was pretty uncomfortable to watch.

She seemed OK in her interview after, but, I also didn't notice her moving the thumb much. 

Kind of stuck with the location, I guess, not like they were going to fly her back to the US before treating her hand, they were in some dinky-looking clinic that I'm not sure even had x-ray from the looks of it.

• Love 3

When you are limited to 10 items, which one do you not take to take a multitool? you have to build a shelter so you need at least a saw or an axe, you need a sleeping bag, . you need tools to get food, it is the devil's choice,you may choose right or choose wrong it pretty much depends on the future you do not know. . 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

When you are limited to 10 items, which one do you not take to take a multitool? you have to build a shelter so you need at least a saw or an axe, you need a sleeping bag, . you need tools to get food, it is the devil's choice,you may choose right or choose wrong it pretty much depends on the future you do not know. . 

Yeah, it's tough. Here's the list of eligible items: https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

A "Leatherman multi-tool or similar" is allowed, but, once you're past a sleeping bag, a pot, an axe, etc., decisions have to be made. 

• Love 4

The show probably doesn't want participants to attempt minor surgeries on themselves with multi-tools. Adds a whole other liability nightmare. Best to tap out and let trained medical professionals handle it.

• Love 3

at the beginning of every show there's a quote and credit to whomever said it, on this episode it says "Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat." F. Scott Fitzgerald. Sometimes I read more into something than actually is but donwe know for sure they don't let Carleigh come back after the hook removal, just a thought ?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Sometimes I read more into something than actually is but donwe know for sure they don't let Carleigh come back after the hook removal, just a thought

If they let Carleigh come back they would have to let every other person taken out for a medical reason come back or risk a lawsuit.

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I have no problem with the idea that if you call for medical help, you are out of the game. The whole point of the show is to survive alone. If you require help to survive, you are out.

I agree, when you tap out for whatever reason, you are out.

• Love 5

A multi tool  was one of the options.  Sam took one--assume it was valuable to him because it appeared to have a pair of pliers--I would think needed for trapping wire.  Maybe it has a wire cutter...?  Other than that I don't know what value they would have to the others. 

I can only recall the old Swiss Army knives that had ..I don't know.. a corkscrew, a little scissors, maybe a little file, a knife..  So for the others I don't know if it would be worth it for pliers..  Maybe someone can fill me in on what they typically have that would otherwise make it worth the choice.?

I think if I were Carleigh..and first day or two facing permanent tap-out  ( I highly doubt they will do returnees anytime soon if at all)    I think I may have tried an incision.  Slowly..bit by bit.  Maybe it sounds extreme but worth a try.  not sure quite how deep it is..  see what you can do..  You can always tap.  Boil some water to clean it..maybe alcohol is in the first aid kit...  IF it gets infected and they won't treat it during med-check, then out you go.     In the end, that's how the doctor got it out.    

• Love 1
1 hour ago, seasick said:

I can only recall the old Swiss Army knives that had ..I don't know.. a corkscrew, a little scissors, maybe a little file, a knife..  So for the others I don't know if it would be worth it for pliers..  Maybe someone can fill me in on what they typically have that would otherwise make it worth the choice.?

Check these out : https://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools?prefn1=activities&expanded=activities&prefv1=outdoor

They can include pliers, wire-cutters, saw, hammer and a ferro rod among other items.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Charlesman said:

Yeah, it's tough. Here's the list of eligible items: https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

A "Leatherman multi-tool or similar" is allowed, but, once you're past a sleeping bag, a pot, an axe, etc., decisions have to be made. 

Is that this years list? I saw someone post that Sam had one so it looks like they could bring one. We were trying to find the gear list for this year last week and no one was able to.

5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Check these out : https://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools?prefn1=activities&expanded=activities&prefv1=outdoor

They can include pliers, wire-cutters, saw, hammer and a ferro rod among other items.

Today's multi tools are pretty freaking awesome. They are insanely complete and work pretty well. I am a bot shocked that they let the contestants bring one because they are so packed with stuff. The high end Swiss Army knife and Leathermen multi tools carry a ton and most of it works as advertised. Very handy to have when back packing. Which leads me to wonder if they limit what type of multi tool ca be brought because some of them contain other items on the pick list, like a ferro rod.

• Love 2

Maybe Survivor will start awarding one of the multi-tools at the initial reward challenges.

Oh wait... they’d be too busy having a steak dinner somewhere to use one. :D

What these people do amazes me. Carleigh will beat herself up over this, she seems the type to get things get inside her head and stay there.

• Love 3

I'm 71 and had no familiarity with a multi-tool, but our son-in-law is a prepared-for-anything kind of guy, so he had a cache of them.  We were discussing Alone at his house on Father's Day, and we went home with a multi-tool because s-i-l insisted that everyone needs to carry one in their glove box.  So it's now in the glove box.  Looks pretty handy.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

And I don't think they are allowed a multi tool. I have not seen people using multi tools in any season, unless you call the axe with a saw on it as a multi tool... I suspect that everyone would have taken a multi tool if it as available because they can be used in a ton of different ways. Instead we see them whittling with the big knife they bring.

Haven’t watched all the videos but at least 3 of the contestants chose a multi tool as one of their 10 items ( Sam, Brooke and Nicole). Nicole actually made changes to her multi tool. 

One of the problems with Carleigh is that she isn’t experienced with fishing. Most people that fish often have extricated at least one or two hooks from themselves or their fishing friends. She also was pulling up on the hook which may have only further embedded it. 

• Love 3

I'm late asking this but................... What was Carleigh doing or trying to accomplish when she strapped the knife to her wrist?  It looked like she was making a splint but it made no sense to use a knife for that so that couldn't have been her intention.  I didn't and still don't understand.

• Love 1

If you look at a picture of a hook, you see there is an eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_hook

She wanted to use the rock to apply enough force to the  knife's sharp edge to cut the eye off.

Then she could pull the hook through with the eye gone.

Doomed to fail because she is right handed and the hook was embedded into her right hand at an awkward position,.

Carleigh's attempts revealed she would not be able to apply enough force to even dent the steel hook.

• Love 4

Thank you, humbleopinion.  I see now although I can't see how she thought that might work.  Desperation maybe.  Fish hooks are strong so they don't bend when there's a wriggling fish on the line so hitting one hard enough to break it apart would be nearly impossible under the circumstances, especially with the barbed end in her hand.  Yow.

• Love 2
(edited)

if you've had brains enough to bring the Signal multitool,, for its ferrorod and blade sharpener, modified to have a file blade instead of a bit driver, you can just bite off the eye of the hook, force it on thru in the direction it was headed, and pull it out. But why grab a fish like that? Never lift a fish out of the water if you need to eat it. Often times you'll lose it if you try, cause it's not well-hooked . So just drag it out onto the shore and then bash it with something.  They most certainly ARE allowed to take a multitool. Fowler took one for Season 3 and anyone who took a knife and ferrorod instead of a Signal is quite ignorant.  Ditto if they took an axe and saw instead of a Cold Steel shovel, modified to have a saw edge. They will have wasted 2 picks.

Edited by beatu
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/15/2018 at 4:58 AM, holly4755 said:

I was listening for rules and environment.   no snaring deer, only bow hunting.   bears over 1000 pounds and aggressive, wolves 5 feet long and 175 pounds. no puppy that.  

Statistically wolf attacks are extremely rare.  Wolves aren't inherently aggressive toward people and usually wolves are much more inclined to steer clear of humans than actively hunt them. They are capable of killing people of course and it isn't entirely unknown for people to be hunted by wolves, so you have to respect that they're wild predators, but among the list of things to be concerned about in Mongolia a wolf attack would be somewhere near the bottom. 

If any of the contestants have a close encounter with wolves it's much more likely to end similarly to the encounter in this video clip (2:18 - 3:35), or this one from Montana, with the wolves doing their own thing and mostly ignoring the human.

The History Channel often exaggerates the danger they're in from wolves for some manufactured drama. In a prior season from Vancouver Island that even included stock footage of a wolf appearing aggressive masquerading as footage from that season. It's lame.

Edited by Scaeva
  • Love 4

This area of MOngolia is supposed to have long sustained cold periods, if all the food is gone, hibernating or moved on, I would imagine any food would look good in that kind of winter. 

• Love 2

they dont know how to even feed themselves in the summer and fall. They'll all starve out before winter.  Only Sam has enough bodyfat to last 4 months and then only if he has sense enough to do very little but lay around in his sleeping bag.

They once again have not taken the right gear, cause they dont know what they are doing. ALL the REAL survival experts say "fish first". That's where the real food gains can be had, with rare exceptions, like cattails or acorns (the right time of the year). or maybe a migration that forces animals into your lap, as sometimes happens with caribou and wildebeeste. you might have an infestation of ground squirrels, that are easily smoked out into nettting,or snares,  then clubbed. But normally, netfishing is where it's at, for getting back more calories than you expend getting the food.

• Love 1