Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion: Bring on the Men

Aethera
  • Start Topic

My hair stylist told me a long time ago that any sulfates in shampoos are bad for your hair.  Of course she recommended one that they sell at her salon, but it's expensive and not something I'd buy all the time.  When trying to find a shampoo without sulfates in the regular store, it's pretty difficult. All the major brands have it.  There's one by L'Oreal, called Ever Pure (I think) which is sulfate-free but that's the only one I can think of.  Once in a while I splurge on a more expensive shampoo but I figure that using one with sulfates won't hurt my hair that much the rest of the time. 

• Love 2

SLS-free shampoos are becoming more mainstream. I have used salon products and right now I use Marc Anthony Argan Oil poo/conditioner I get at the drugstore. Look for its nickname SLS for short, and also check brands that say “colour-safe” as well, as that’s generally how they’re marketed. My hair has never been healthier and grows super long since I switched a few years ago. No SLS = stronger hair = less breakage = longer hair. 

• Love 8

I have been using SLS-free soaps and shampoos for over a decade. I found it too drying for my hair. A lot of people also co-wash with mainstream conditioner as well instead of shampoo.

• Love 2

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is basically needed for shampoos because there are a lot of hair products (conditioner, mousse or other styling products) that have various silicones. So if you are using any of the "cone" products, you will need something that washes it off. Otherwise, the silicones will build up and make your hair worse. (There are some silicones that do not require as harsh surfactants like SLS.)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 4:04 PM, iMonrey said:

Show of hands: who else has gone to check and see if their shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate in it? Jonathan has railed against this ingredient more than once, saying it's the same thing used to clean out carburetors. I know I went and checked my Neutrogena shampoo and sure enough . . . sodium laureth sulfate. Still, I'm not switching. Been using the same shampoo for nigh on 20 years and don't intend to change brands now. 

I noticed that Jonathan started screaming the episode that Sean said he washes his hair once a day.

I have naturally oily hair that I get compliments on frequently because it's so thick, shiny, manageable, grows so fast, etc. (LOL, like the commercials), and I wash it once a day.  I'm not going to stop.  I wonder if JVN takes into account that different people have different hair, and some people DO need to wash it once a day.  The oil in my hair is what makes it so nice and easy to work with, but it also is what makes me feel the need to wash it once a day.

The description on Netflix about William said something like FILM BUFF or something (too lazy to check what it was, anyone know?) so whatever that description was, I already assumed William worked in film. That's why I'm not so scandalized by it.  

Bringing up Survivor again, but the casts of Seasons 13-14 were notoriously 95% recruited actors/models/people trying to get into showbiz, and those ended up being some amazing seasons.  And way more racially diverse than seasons previous.  LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/16/2018 at 1:50 PM, iggysaurus said:

I just saw on Twitter (and then Instagram) that William from episode 2 is actually an actor - he was on the Walking Dead and Stranger Things 2, probably bit parts, but they sure didn't mention that in the episode - it was "he works at Walmart."  He seems to be really self-promoting online now that his episode has aired.  When I looked back thru his Instagram, far enough back to where it had to be before the filming of QE, there were pics of him looking not that different than he did after his makeover.  I don't think he's any stranger to hair & makeup transformations, considering his background in acting. I dunno, it just seems disingenuous now that I've found that out.  Plus, I have to confess, the whole "I Shannan You" thing in the episode made me cringe a bit (even though I usually tear up at all of these reveals/transformations - I'm a total sap!). 

Bolded is a very good point. FWIW, he really does (did?) work at Walmart. The post below is from August 30, 2017.

I have mixed feelings about him being "cast" on the show and him treating it as an "appearance" (see post below from September 28, 2017). I kept thinking he looked vaguely familiar.

I am not a romantic nor a fan of the institution of marriage, but was crying during the episode despite myself. That little movie was hella goofy, but seems like a good guy. He really loves Shannan.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have mixed feelings about him being "cast" on the show and him treating it as an "appearance" (see post below from September 28, 2017). I kept thinking he looked vaguely familiar.

Yeah, stating his episode like that is in poor taste imo, and makes the whole thing seem staged.  I know it wasn't but it still looks tacky.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, iggysaurus said:

My only problem with it is that they didn't acknowledge it on the show.  If they'd said "William works at Walmart and is also a struggling actor, who needs help updating his look as well as proposing to his girlfriend," that would've been fine but the way they did it, it made it seem a bit fake when I found out he's an actor.

ITA with this sentiment.  I don't care if they're actors, or act on the side, whatever.  Get help if you need it, regardless of profession.  But I get why that feels fake.

As for the shampoo, doesn't sodium lauryl sulfate help the shampoo to lather?  At any rate, I use medicated shampoo (Ketoconazole) as well as an extra moisturizing shampoo because my hair is very dry.  Both have SLS, I'm sure.  But I'm not switching because it took me too long to find something that works for my hair anyway.  

• Love 3

Some of us have what can politely be called "crazy hair." In other words I would never think of leaving the house without washing it first because  I look like some kind of deranged clown when I get out of bed, and there's no way of taming it and making it presentable other than washing it. Just wetting it doesn't do the trick. How I envy you lucky people with hair that just hangs there and doesn't do anything.

• Love 3
On 6/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, iMonrey said:

I can't wait for y'all to catch up to episode seven because we've got to talk about Sean and Lulu. That boy just ain't right. There's is seriously something off about him. 

I know right!? One word: lasers.

• LOL 2
On 6/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, iMonrey said:

The problem with the Fab 5, whether the original group or this incarnation, is that their functions just aren't equally relevant. The hair and grooming guy and the wardrobe guy are always going to have the most visible affect on the makeover, followed by the furniture guy who redecorates their home. The roles of the food guy and the lifestyle guy seem comparatively irrelevant in most cases. I can't think of anything Karamo or Antoni did this season that had any real meaningful effect on these guys' lives.

See I actually think Karamo probably has the most long term effect. The physical makeovers are the most visible for the show because they're in the moment but one wardrobe change and a couple of weeks of not shaving or keeping the hair up then it's all gone. Karamo is trying to influence not just how they look at themselves but how they look at the world and their place in it. 

I jus finished with the Ari episode. I definitely didn't really like him at the beginning but I felt for him. He seemed depressed, stuck, and depressed because he felt stuck.  Tammye is still my favorite so far. Like I want to go the Gay, GA and get a hug from her.

• Love 8
On 6/17/2018 at 8:58 PM, iMonrey said:

I can't wait for y'all to catch up to episode seven because we've got to talk about Sean and Lulu.

There's a lot to unpack there.  Lulu seemed like a good egg, but at a certain point, it seemed like she'd raised Sean like a veal.  And yeah, he plays piano and sings better than I do, but he's not Elton John.  I couldn't really put my finger on what exactly felt off there, but it was...odd.  It also seemed strange to me that they didn't really talk about his inexperience in the romance department, because he might have even more trouble relating to a potential girl- or--ahem--boyfriend than to a platonic friend.

I finally finished the back half of the season.  I think Jason and Ted were the only ones who really connected with me as strongly as Tammye and most of the guys from the first batch of episodes.  Jason because he reminds me a lot of my college friends and where we, a bunch of 40-ish hipsters are in our live now.  His local crew of friends seemed like people I would want to be friends with as well.  I was glad they didn't really focus on the idea of pushing him and Beth together, but it seemed like an obvious thing when we saw them together.

Ted was just an all-around decent soul.  I told my husband "He's going to be governor of Georgia someday" just before the guys started saying it, so I hope we're on to something.  He grew the beard back and was comfortably reelected last November.

Ari really did seem depressed.  Since he should have finished his class by now, I was hoping there would be an update, and the fact that there wasn't one worried me a bit.

I'm really glad they did Skyler's episode.  I thought starting with the video of his top surgery, cutting to his not-quite-conscious tears at seeing the results, was the right thing to do.  As was Tan being so honest about his ignorance around trans issues.

• Love 4

I never finished season 1 because I got bored with it. Instead I went and rewatched the original QE on YouTube. Now that it's back, I tried out the first episode, and it's just so sappy. Everyone is crying through the whole episode. As someone who enjoyed the bitchiness and snark of the original, I'm rolling my eyes through a lot of it.

This new incarnation seems to be focused more on the drama than the make-over. I didn't get why the church couldn't have just done a fund-raiser for the community center. Apparently all it needed was a coat of paint and some tables and bookshelves. Tammye's makeover was minimal. Was that even a new dress? Did she get other new clothes to wear to church? The best thing was that they cleaned her bathroom. Overall it seemed like no one really needed a make-over and it was all just an excuse to cry and talk about gays and religion.

Based on this thread, episode seven sounds pretty interesting, so I'm going to skip ahead to that one.

• Love 4
On 7/1/2018 at 3:00 PM, starri said:

I'm really glad they did Skyler's episode.  I thought starting with the video of his top surgery, cutting to his not-quite-conscious tears at seeing the results, was the right thing to do.  As was Tan being so honest about his ignorance around trans issues.

I'm kinda surprised that they didn't edit around Tan calling Skyler "her" during the fashion reveal. At least, I'm 99% sure he did. 

• Love 1
On 7/2/2018 at 9:47 PM, Sesquipedalia said:

I never finished season 1 because I got bored with it. Instead I went and rewatched the original QE on YouTube. Now that it's back, I tried out the first episode, and it's just so sappy. Everyone is crying through the whole episode. As someone who enjoyed the bitchiness and snark of the original, I'm rolling my eyes through a lot of it.

This new incarnation seems to be focused more on the drama than the make-over. I didn't get why the church couldn't have just done a fund-raiser for the community center. Apparently all it needed was a coat of paint and some tables and bookshelves. Tammye's makeover was minimal. Was that even a new dress? Did she get other new clothes to wear to church? The best thing was that they cleaned her bathroom. Overall it seemed like no one really needed a make-over and it was all just an excuse to cry and talk about gays and religion.

Based on this thread, episode seven sounds pretty interesting, so I'm going to skip ahead to that one.

I did not cry watching Tammye's episode. In fact, my eyes nearly rolled out of my head many, many times. I had a lot of issues with her rejection of her son and her humble bragging about how the lord opened her heart and allowed her to accept him. Then she sits and lets everyone hug her and cry and tell her how great she is for doing what she should have done in the first place. I understand that this is an unpopular opinion.

Sean and Lulu gave me the creeps. Lulu talking about "being with him every single minute" was cringe inducing. Sean! Had no friends his own age and most of his friends were Lulu's age. Then he's going off to college but he's not living on campus? But he's going to live in an apartment way off campus, alone? This helps his social life how? I didn't love his affected way of singing at all. 

Eh, I must be feeling especially salty today. I'm watching the mayor now, so far I don't want to stab anyone. Hope springs eternal. I like the Fab 5. I've not loved every subject so far though. I'm not feeling Atlanta as a location, either. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I was dying at the end of S2E6. That mom is gonna f**k that boy up once the cameras are gone.

The guy who didn't graduate? I have one word...drugs.  I'll bet.

One of the things that annoys me is that it's impossible to make whatever Antoni is showing how to make

Just be glad that someone taught his to cook between the end of S1 and the beginning of 2. Before I think he was a pretty model-boy who got casted and they had to give him something to do. 

I think Sean was just a bit socially awkward and goofy. I don't think he's a freak and it isn't really that weird that a close family friend took him in when his parents couldn't cope

I was seriously wondering if he is gay and got overwhelmed by the Fab5.  It's not like he is spontaneously going to come out on national TV.  Also, those kids in the paintball place were a set up.  No strange kid is going to be nice to a strange kid who comes up and compliments his shirt.  In Chelsea or Provincetown, ok, but not GA!

Edited by WhineandCheez
50 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Just be glad that someone taught his to cook between the end of S1 and the beginning of 2. Before I think he was a pretty model-boy who got casted and they had to give him something to do. 

Antoni is self-taught and more of a restaurateur but he's worked in the food industry at the same time while doing acting and probably modelling. He even worked for the original Food/Wine expert Tim Allen as his personal chef.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, starri said:

There's a lot to unpack there.  Lulu seemed like a good egg, but at a certain point, it seemed like she'd raised Sean like a veal.  And yeah, he plays piano and sings better than I do, but he's not Elton John.  I couldn't really put my finger on what exactly felt off there, but it was...odd. 

Elton John is an interesting point.  I wonder if that was part of the Lulu's plan; for Sean to have a persona to go with his talent like Elton John did in the 70s.  Maybe to help market him better as a performer?  But Sean's persona felt outdated.  The colorful capes, the huge embossed names...it just looked tacky. 

On 7/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Then he's going off to college but he's not living on campus? But he's going to live in an apartment way off campus, alone? This helps his social life how? I didn't love his affected way of singing at all. 

I dunno, that sounds awesome for a college freshman.  Dorms are restricted by Resident Advisors and rules.  With Sean living off campus, (in a nicely decorated apartment, no less) he can party a lot more.  I could see a ton of kids hanging out with him for that reason alone.  That said, I hope he actually has made friends.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/4/2018 at 7:25 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

I did not cry watching Tammye's episode. In fact, my eyes nearly rolled out of my head many, many times. I had a lot of issues with her rejection of her son and her humble bragging about how the lord opened her heart and allowed her to accept him. Then she sits and lets everyone hug her and cry and tell her how great she is for doing what she should have done in the first place. I understand that this is an unpopular opinion.

It didn't move me at all! I could barely pay attention. I was wondering why I had such a different reaction.

Eh, I must be feeling especially salty today. I'm watching the mayor now, so far I don't want to stab anyone. Hope springs eternal. I like the Fab 5. I've not loved every subject so far though. I'm not feeling Atlanta as a location, either. 

I love the mayor.  Thought he was adorable. I follow him on social media now.  I like his politics.

Here's a great interview with Skyler Jay https://www.them.us/story/skyler-jay-reveals-his-true-feelings-on-queer-eyes-trans-makeover-episode

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2018 at 11:18 AM, PRgal said:

I'm in the middle of Skyler's episode and one thing which bothered me was how he wore his seatbelt - with the shoulder strap behind his back.  I get that he's still recovering from his surgery, but is it safe for him to do that?  Can a cop fine him?

Seatbelt laws in GA have an exemption if you have a doctor's note. It's probably not especially safe, but if a doctor deems the seatbelt to be an immediate danger to the just-operated-on-area then it may be considered safer overall to not wear the seatbelt properly during the recovery, even if vehicular-safety-wise you're introducing a different danger.

• Love 2
(edited)

I never finished season 1 because I got bored with it. Instead I went and rewatched the original QE on YouTube. Now that it's back, I tried out the first episode, and it's just so sappy. Everyone is crying through the whole episode. As someone who enjoyed the bitchiness and snark of the original, I'm rolling my eyes through a lot of it.

I'm enjoying the reboot but you make an interesting point. It's true that the original Fab 5 were a lot more salty and a lot less weepy. I think that speaks to a generational change though. The generation of the current Fab 5 just isn't as cynical and bitchy as the original one. Make of that what you will but yeah . . . today's "kids" really seem to wear their emotions on their sleeves.

He actually does have a background in the food industry but yeah . . . fell back on that because his acting career wasn't really taking off.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I had a lot of issues with her rejection of her son and her humble bragging about how the lord opened her heart and allowed her to accept him.

Yeah, I mean, I was happy for him that she came around and all but I was disappointed that rejection was her first reaction, along with "now I won't have grandkids", which, it's not about YOU, lady.    I wondered if the son was originally nominated by someone for the show (messy room, trying to fit back in to his old neighborhood, etc) and for whatever reason they decided to focus on Tammye instead, or to kind of combine them, since they did help him too.  I was glad that Karamo spent some time with him to talk about what it's like to be black and gay. 

I was touched by the proposal episode and the one where the dad was worried about being judged by other dads (it's been a while since I watched those, this season didn't flow the way S1 did for me, so no binging).  I was bored by the mayor episode and the college guy.

The handyman episode was one of my faves, not just for the epilogue but because he really did seem to want to improve his life, plus I loved his carriage house (after being Fabbed).  He does have an eye for good pieces.  Plus, cute doggie! 

I felt for Sean the pianist.  You can tell he's only around older people with how compliant he was about everything.   I think LuLu really did want him to branch out on his own so I'm hoping with college and a fresh apartment he can do that.  There's a lot going on there, with his parents giving him up and he seemed like a decent guy so hopefully this was the push he needed.  It is difficult to make friends if you're kind of introverted and with him not being around people his own age - ugh.  Even when he was reunited with his old friends, it was awkward. 

Like a lot of you I found Skyler's episode the most moving.  I teared up when I saw his face when he put on the suit.  When Skyler said that the DMV person said something about coming back when you're finished or complete - maybe the DMV person didn't mean to sound belittling but those are dismissive words.   I think it was very brave of Skyler to come on TV and talk about his parents' rejection, his surgery, how hard things were before surgery and how things are hard now.  I'm glad it seems like he has a good support system and that he was willing to talk to Tan about trans issues. 

It is one thing I really like about all 5 guys; they are willing to say "I don't understand, please help me get to know "x" better" which is something not everyone is willing to do.  I think it's why I really like Karamo so much, he says that so often, which makes sense in his role.  I also really like Jonathan, I feel like he's really warm, open and accepting and he's just in such a damn good mood, it's nice to see that.

• Love 7

The handyman episode was one of my faves, not just for the epilogue but because he really did seem to want to improve his life, plus I loved his carriage house (after being Fabbed).  He does have an eye for good pieces. 

The handyman seemed to think he could solve his mid-life crisis by running away somewhere new and starting all over. I know a lot of people like that, whether you want to say they have an adventurous spirit or say they are unrealistic and irresponsible. I tend to lean towards the latter but YMMV. I guess to a lot of people there is something romantic about just picking up and going somewhere new just for the hell of it, but that's the sort of thing that fills me with dread.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

. I know a lot of people like that, whether you want to say they have an adventurous spirit or say they are unrealistic and irresponsible. I

As long as they're not abandoning responsibilities I say go for it..  I was glad that he realized he had what he needed/wanted right where he was.

One thing I forgot to mention is how much I HATE the half-tuck-the-shirt in the front of the pants.  Now I'm not a skinny 20 something guy and definitely not a fashionista of any kind but I just think it looks silly; especially so on the handyman because he was older.  Someone please stop this trend!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, raven said:

One thing I forgot to mention is how much I HATE the half-tuck-the-shirt in the front of the pants.  Now I'm not a skinny 20 something guy and definitely not a fashionista of any kind but I just think it looks silly; especially so on the handyman because he was older.  Someone please stop this trend!

You should write to Tan as he is a big endorser of it. It won't stop on this show at least.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:50 PM, raven said:

As long as they're not abandoning responsibilities I say go for it..  I was glad that he realized he had what he needed/wanted right where he was.

Well speaking as a skinny, fashionista who is just now out of my twenties and I hate it to.  I get what tan is trying to do,  in trying to fancy up the look.   Some of the guys are out of shape and some will instantly revert to their previous lack of style but the French tuck isn't for everyone.   Hell, it isn't for most. 

• Love 1

Like a lot of you I found Skyler's episode the most moving.  I teared up when I saw his face when he put on the suit.  When Skyler said that the DMV person said something about coming back when you're finished or complete - maybe the DMV person didn't mean to sound belittling but those are dismissive words.   I think it was very brave of Skyler to come on TV and talk about his parents' rejection, his surgery, how hard things were before surgery and how things are hard now.  I'm glad it seems like he has a good support system and that he was willing to talk to Tan about trans issues. 

I feel like Tan. I am cis female and have been in a committed relationship with another cis woman for seven years. We are both very comfortable in our bodies, despite the fact that we're both middle-aged, a bit frumpy and losing our hair. We love each other and our adoration for one another has a rose-colored filter. I cannot imagine what it is like to be born into a body that doesn't suit. I am a bit taken aback when a transgender male elects to remove his breasts because I know a number of women who lost theirs to cancer and feel like they've lost their womanhood against their will. I do like the clothing choices Tan made for Skyler and he looked great and so happy.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2018 at 6:56 PM, raven said:

I loved Skylar’s episode too (watching it now). I did notice when he had his grooming lesson the concealer looked way too dark and yellow for his skin!!

I love Todrick Hall as well so I understood his devotion. 

Todrick showed up!! Omg I would just die. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Todrick showed up!! Omg I would just die. 

My favorite part of this whole series has been Skylar's reaction when he opened the door! I've watched it about 40 million times! I also loved the way he was geeking out behind Todrick's back while the girls introduced themselves.

• Love 3

I just finished Sean's episode. Yeah, he's not going to be the next big musical sensation, but I've seen plenty of guys at Hotel Cafe (playing before or after the person I went to see) that were roughly as good as him, and had songs that were a lot less catchy. If he decides to make music a career, he'll probably do just fine as Plays-At-Bars-on-Weekends-Does-Weddings-Here-and-There-Sometimes-Scores-Gig-as-Local-Opener Guy. There are a lot of them out there, and most are pretty much at his level.

• Love 2

I'm kinda surprised that they didn't edit around Tan calling Skyler "her" during the fashion reveal. At least, I'm 99% sure he did.

He did use the wrong pronoun, which i was happy to see as it let's the viewers realize that mistakes happen with pronouns, even in the lgbtq+ community and with grace, yoli can let it go. I'm sure he heard it, but he chose to let Tan self edit moving forward. Had Tan said it again, is expect a correction. My oldest brother is my sister now and I've supported her through thick and thin. Unfortunately in our dysfunctional family, she chooses to hang with the member who called her a wrong freak rather than myself. Wow, what does that say about me? Eeeeep. Meh, not bothered... too much

I really like sean but did feel that lulu was a nut. Why home school the kid? He was talented but I'm looking forward to what he does on his own. 

I love the fab5 guys and enjoy the differences. I can't believe it's been 15+ years? 

I'm not completely or even remotely sure of where to post since the revamp of PT forums but here goes:

I watched the first season and kind of liked the new fab five. I just resubscribed to NETFLIX and  started watching season two.

Not really feeling the like anymore for the fab 5. I have no problem with reviving an old series with new replacements but I am bored wth several of the fab 5 , disappointed in most of them.

I still love the folks that are getting the life rejuvenations but not liking these new guys much. Especially when they did the "burning man" guy episode and Kamano told the guy to please not bring the guys FRIENDLY dog into the guys home because Kamano is afraid of dogs!! Really?! WTF!?  

And here's something else I'm not "feeling"....the new PT format. I'm going to be switching back to RealityTv.com. MUCH more user friendly. So I may be bidding a fond farewell to this forum but I want my few things in life that I enjoy to be EASY and enjoyable. This forum sucks. I will miss you lovely, kind, snarky, witty folks but I think I'm done here.

Happy holidays to all but especially to those, like me, who don't have family but we have our critters to love!! 

• Love 4

Helloooo? Anybody home? Lol! Has this show become that unpopular? 

I feel like I'm on the Titanic.....with the "reorganization" of things. But if I really WAS on the Titanic, I would most certainly be with those musicians at the bar, still playing songs while the ship is sinking! 

I do like these new guys. Individually. As people. But I'm still not feeling the love I had for the originals. And NO...it's not because I'm "scared of change". I'm not afraid of anything. I just have strong opinions.

• Love 2

S1E8 Firefighters was really good. I'm not sure their ideas for raising money were all that great but everything else was great and wholesome. Well, maybe not Karamo harassing Superman. Also, the main guy seems like he could be a politician one day.

S2E1 It was a good episode but I'm still going to be a little uncomfortable with very religious people. I know the guy with a lot of kids was also religious but this was a lot. That's on me though. I do think we were a little shortchanged because the attention was so divided with mother and son. This is the second time I haven't really loved one of Bobby's transformations. The first time was the firestation, though I still mostly thought he did a good job, it just felt very formal and I didn't love the dark walls. But this also felt way too formal and again I didn't love the dark walls. I think he made her bathroom look gorgeous but the community center didn't seem homey and inviting.

• Love 2

S2E4 This is one of my new favorites. I'll probably rewatch it. Jason is just so likable. He was giving me Bob Ross energy. I think he looked better with a little facial hair but maybe it was unhealthy and he needs to regrow it. Though I don't like the recent trend of doing away with facial hair. I think it suits some of the guys. The re-do of the house was GORGEOUS. Bobby is back! I wish Karamo had the time to really figure out what's going on with him. I think there were probably deeper issues there but the ending with him and Beth was really sweet.

S2E5 Obviously I knew they were going to get Toddrick but it was still really pure seeing Skyler's reaction. I think this was a solid episode. They didn't make it too heavy but they highlighted a lot of issues in the trans experience with a great deal of sensitivity. 

S2E6 Credit to Antoni, he's cooking more in season 2. He's still doing simple recipes but it's not just like... guacamole.

I know that he's 24 but I continue to feel like a clean shave is not for everyone.

It was nice to see Tan take someone to the gym and not just have physical activity be something that Karamo uses as some kind of immersion therapy/metaphor.

I liked the surprise knife tricks. It was interesting to have a client hold things back openly. I mean, I think they all hold things back and again, it would be nice if Karamo in particular could have more time with people. But I think they tend to downplay what's held back and focus on the emotional breakthroughs.

S2E7 I know they film in Atlanta (probably for tax reasons) and that's where their headquarters is but I wish they would visit a client outside of Georgia once in a while.

I love how well Jonathan does with any cats they find.

Jonathan, the time Sean is from is the 70's. He's giving me Richard Carpenter, Barry Manilow, Elton John, Donny Osmond, etc. vibes. If he's not gay...

Sean is so adorable and wholesome. His version of small talk is just... I can't. He does look really familiar to me. He looks a lot like Munro Chambers but also maybe like some 90's teen heartthrob? Like not Jonathan Taylor Thomas but some other guy whose name I've forgotten.

I love that Karamo saw through him. It's not that he's a moody, antisocial teenager but the way he was interacting with them was very much a mask that he's probably had to put on performing and hanging out with older people. He's been trained to be very polite. I don't think he entirely lost that. Like the last episode, the way he loosened up when his old band showed up, I do think there was already a young guy in there that we didn't fully see. He plays video games and takes selfies. He can't be as divorced from pop culture as it seemed.

S2E8 Again, I'm going to disagree that people need to lose facial hair to look approachable. I think he could have kept a little of it. His face and jawline look a little small without the beard and I don't like the haircut much either. He looks more like a Republican now. Also he looks older and the lack of a beard makes his chin disappear more.

Their home wasn't terribly decorated before but it does look nicer now. I do think the old lighter colors (very yoga studio) in the sitting room/recreational area were somewhat preferable to all the dark colors now. But the dining room is gorgeous and the office was great. Of course, they were also brighter spaces.

So I'm actually working my way backward through the seasons, and have been watching Season 2. I've enjoyed most of the Season 2 Episodes so far, with a couple of exceptions:

I found the Walmart couple pretty cringey - it felt like she was much more enamoured of him than he was of her, and he seemed like such an inert lump, I was surprised he actually went through with the elaborate proposal scheme. I did feel bad when the guys were criticizing their couch from Goodwill though. I mean, they BOTH work at Walmart! Jesus guys, what would you expect? They're lucky they can manage living in a trailer. A reminder that the main difference for many of these people and people who outwardly seem to "have it together" boils down to $$$.

Normally all of the people featured are so lovable and inspirational, and you want the best for them going forward. But I have now hit a first on this show - an episode with such an unlikeable subject, that I had to turn it off in disgust: Arian the compulsive lying gamer dude. I thought he was a lazy-ass slug and a scammer, and I totally didn't buy that his lying was from anxiety due to high expectations from his immigrant family. I got the impression he had been spoiled and coddled his whole life, and was unused to facing consequences. I did love that Bobby wasn't having any of his bullshit. There are undoubtably so many other deserving people who could have benefited from a Fab 5 visit, I was furious that an episode was wasted on this do-nothing. 

Posting here 'cause I was dying to comment, and the original Season 2 thread is locked!

I'm binge watching this show out of order, so I end up on different boards here. I'm about half way through this season. I like the five guys and all their contributions. A good life is about balance, so having different aspects addressed makes sense to me. If the show were just about hair and clothes, it would be just another makeover show. 

I've enjoyed Miss Tammye's episode the most so far this season. The firefighters were fun but I think they could have managed on their own. The Wal-Mart guy was OK. 

As for shampoo, I spend a lot of money getting my hair colored. I avoid SLS, alcohol, and salt in hair products to try to protect my "investment." Maybe it helps. 

Johnathan’s description of Sean’s look as “default to Scooby Doo” is completely accurate. Floppy too-long hair + scraggly facial hair.

Tammye is AWESOME. She was so encouraging to all the guys.

Tan has the most beautiful hair. He’s vain about it but I don’t mind.

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 1
On 6/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, iMonrey said:

The roles of the food guy and the lifestyle guy seem comparatively irrelevant in most cases. I can't think of anything Karamo or Antoni did this season that had any real meaningful effect on these guys' lives.

It's too late to change the concept now, but I always thought that five people were too many. The culture role especially seems like a catch-all for whatever the show wants to talk about.

The SLS debate has raged for at least 20 years. I never notice a difference when I use a shampoo or toothpaste that has it. Sometimes people jump on bandwagons because everyone else is doing it.