Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Auditions 3

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

For which I think I'm actually grateful because ordinarily we can't stand children singing adult lyrics.  In fact, that's really a pet peeve of mine.  

Yep - and not only sexual lyrics.  Here's what Little Sophie sang: 

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way.

Not something a 5 year old has any clue about.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

In defense of Howie, I will admit that she brought Janis Joplin to mind for my husband and I as well due to the raspy quality of her voice, so I don't think that comment was entirely out of line. 

Being the suspicious sort, I figure that she was Howie's golden buzzer because Howie was told that she would be.  My first impression when I heard her speak was that Mel B. possibly knew of her.  Their accents seem similar and I thought maybe Mel had seen her perform in the Midlands area of the UK.

• Love 3

bluepiano,  I have no interest in watching this possible TCO kid Courtney,  but I'm also not aware of any "little girls" who have won "American Idol" (Jordin Sparks was 17), which has age limits (15-28). 

Anyway,  Simon and/or Mel was probably aware of her from "The Voice Kids UK" last year. ?

Tourettes Comic was cute. ?

Didn't much care for Quick Change,  the Caterpillar, Hans, well,  too many this time.  ?

Let's see the Child Toss group again! ?

• Love 1

Gosh you guys are harsh. To me the golden buzzer act was good. Definitely the best act of the night. She owned the stage and put on a proper performance. When I searched her afterwards and saw that she was on Voice Kids UK previously, I knew she was going to be controversial. I don't care about that. By all means put acts that were successful on a different show on every "___ Got Talent" show there is. AGT is made for an audience that isn't familiar with this girl so it really shouldn't matter. All the fakery is unfortunate, but that's on the show's producers and not on the performer.

Having said that, the episode was marginally better than last week's, but that's not saying much. I felt genuine second-hand embarrassment for the parents of the 5 year old. Bored to tears by tourette's comic. I'm glad they had Mel B. say "this is funny" midway through the act cause I temporarily forgot I was watching a comedian. Scorpion escape guy was just a bad act, I'm sorry. Predicable and lame. Dance troupe lost me by including a 7 year old who danced as well as you would expect a 7 year old to dance. The quick-change couple was competent but I simply can't muster much enthusiasm for a quick change act.

I low-key loved Neal from Glee because they genuinely treated the fact that Glee ended as his sob story (also he really was pretty good). I liked the multimedia act better than most even though I'm generally not very high on multimedia acts. They had cool 3D effects and I appreciated that the person who (I assume) made the animation actually got on stage as a talent.

But yeah, all in all this season is shaping up to be quite dreadful.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, CrashTextDummie said:

All the fakery is unfortunate, but that's on the show's producers and not on the performer.

I think that's the main issue with most people.  The fakery.  As a person with a music career, I know that a kid with that kind of voice is amazing.  There was one on Idol this past season, too, if anyone recalls.         

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2

I'm not trying to ask this in any sort of offensive way, but if AGT goes out and tries to find the best acts or professionals for the show, that is their right but why are so many of the acts from other countries when it is America's got talent? Is there not enough talent in America? Remember shows like Real People and That's incredible? It used to be fun to watch talent from all sorts of rural unknown places in America. I know we will never have another Real People Train across America (I had told my kids about the train stop in my home town that I went to when I was little,  and Amazon prime has old Real People episodes so I got to see my elementary aged self) but I think America still has some cool unique talents hidden away. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I think it would be fun to see the judges sitting bored, sipping their drinks and checking their watches when scorpion guy was on. I mean seriously, did anyone REALLY think he wasn't going to free himself? Then he freaking bent the STEEL (ha ha) bars! And FREED himself! So bogus. Plus if he can "bend steel," why not have him do that instead?

Oh yeah, because it's so obviously fake. So fake that I'm surprised he wasn't a Golden  Buzzer.

HATED the fake "shy girl" for so, so many reasons.

I did like Hans though. The other acts made his look good.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I'm not trying to ask this in any sort of offensive way, but if AGT goes out and tries to find the best acts or professionals for the show, that is their right but why are so many of the acts from other countries when it is America's got talent? Is there not enough talent in America? Remember shows like Real People and That's incredible? It used to be fun to watch talent from all sorts of rural unknown places in America. I know we will never have another Real People Train across America (I had told my kids about the train stop in my home town that I went to when I was little,  and Amazon prime has old Real People episodes so I got to see my elementary aged self) but I think America still has some cool unique talents hidden away. 

I'm always amused by the fact that the judges for the past several seasons have consisted of two Brits, a German, and a Canadian.

I kinda miss Howard Stern as a judge.

• Love 9
(edited)

Another AGT Audition, another donut.  I'm not a fan of precocious kids, so the little boy asking for a donut after their act was so staged to be cute, it was cornier than a cornfield.  Sophie singing "My Way" was not cute either, despite the judges and audience going gaga over another Stage Mom Darling.

I hate the phoniness of everything we see and am thankful to read here about how fake it all really is.

Golden Buzzer Joplin.  Well that was weird.  After the shy girl/huggy huggy with Daddy shtick, her eyes bugged out like she was possessed and she broke out of her shell, but it was not a good performance voice-wise, and the song was a little inappropriate for a 13-year-old girl to sing.

The acts I did like were Miss Trysh, Hans - International Superstar, and Noah Guthrie.

Edited by CelticBlackCat
  • Love 4

Why are the gag acts so painfully dull and unfunny?  They seem to get more screen time that anyone. 

This year, there seem to be way more professional acts who have been around for years and international acts that are making the supposed “amateur” talent competition circuit than ever before. Spare us the sobby backstory of the “painfully shy” 13 year old singer with the big voice who’s probably been pushing the gimmick since she was ten. The internet exists. We know they’re not the undiscovered gems you want us to believe. 

Unfortunately, the acts that actually appear to be real amateurs, like the guy with the six kids, aren’t that good and get put through strictly based on their back story. 

• Love 9
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, silverspoons said:

I'm not trying to ask this in any sort of offensive way, but if AGT goes out and tries to find the best acts or professionals for the show, that is their right but why are so many of the acts...

Bad?  Horrible?  Awful?  I agree with having no objection to recruiting "professional" acts.  But if they have international recruiting, youtube, other countries' talent shows, other US talent shows, why can't they do better than this?  Something's not right.

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 5
On 15/06/2018 at 11:58 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

Another AGT Audition, another donut.  I'm not a fan of precocious kids, so the little boy asking for a donut after their act was so staged to be cute, it was cornier than a cornfield.  Sophie singing "My Way" was not cute either, despite the judges and audience going gaga over another Stage Mom Darling.

I hate the phoniness of everything we see and am thankful to read here about how fake it all really is.

Golden Buzzer Joplin.  Well that was weird.  After the shy girl/huggy huggy with Daddy shtick, her eyes bugged out like she was possessed and she broke out of her shell, but it was not a good performance voice-wise, and the song was a little inappropriate for a 13-year-old girl to sing.

The acts I did like were Miss Trysh, Hans - International Superstar, and Noah Guthrie.

I'm not digging this year's after seems like a lot have already one at another creepy girl won something  Britain's got talent winner the 13year old was good but just sing the damn song don't be trippin out other than that the nurse lady rocked it and the lady in love with Simon was pretty good 

On 6/15/2018 at 6:44 PM, ams1001 said:

I kinda miss Howard Stern as a judge.

I totally miss Howard, and I don't mean kinda.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:19 AM, Johnny Dollar said:

Unfortunately, the acts that actually appear to be real amateurs, like the guy with the six kids, aren’t that good and get put through strictly based on their back story. 

Didn't I see somewhere that he has something like six albums out? Maybe I have him confused with another "amateur" singer. But if I remember correctly, he hasn't exactly been sitting at home, taking care of kids and wishing he could do just one AGT audition and then his life would be full.

• Love 2

I was feeling a bit ashamed that I had thought that Courtney was faking the shyness.  Glad I came on here and saw that my gut instinct was right.  Apparently, they (the producers? her and her father?) figured that she could get some sympathy votes with that "oh, I am so shy" routine, but it was too over the top and stereotypical, including her long hair hanging in front of her face and then her suddenly belting out the song.  

On 6/12/2018 at 10:35 PM, kickedinthehead said:

Agreed. And this is probably mean of me, but her dancing (?) was very... awkward.

I think that was part of the act of shy girl who communicates through music.  I think the theory was that music frees her from her shyness so well that she doesn't even care how awkwardly she dances

On 6/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, lynxfx said:

The sob stories have always been annoying. This season it doesn't even seem like they are trying. One guys was just that he had a kid. The plants are pretty obvious, like the caterpillar guy, the roast comedian, and the "new judge" from previous episodes. 

Every dance act comes from some place where they would probably have been murdered if they hadn't found a way to dance.  Are there no dance troupes in middle class suburbia?

On 6/14/2018 at 7:05 AM, Juneau Gal said:

Sadly, you are right. My Facebook timeline has been flooded with the clip of Courtney “singing” at the audition and comments of “OMG, she’s amazing!” It has taken everything in me not to disabuse the posters of their admiration. Falling for the back story if you don’t know it’s a lie, I understand. Thinking she’s a great singer, I don’t understand. I guess my ears hear differently than other people’s. 

I have often wondered if there is something really wrong with the sound on my TV    

• Love 7

Courtney came off as more of a spazz than Janis Joplin, who I think she's trying to emulate.  As for the dance troupes, their backstories are probably manufactured or embellished.  I'm way cynical about everything that comes out of this show now.

• Love 7
On 6/13/2018 at 9:56 AM, backformore said:

To me,  everything seems so fake this season. The judges clearly know what any of the acts are going to be before they walk out on stage, and are prepped as to whether it's a good or bad act. And maybe that's the problem.Some acts are 4 yeses, absolutely amazing, best act of the night, and others are AWFUL.  And of course, for some acts the judges are told to ask about the tearful backstory.  There's no in between, no disagreement, no nuance.  If the judges do disagree with each other,  even that seems scripted and fake.

And this season, the audience reactions are so clearly orchestrated and spliced in to reinforce how the producers want us to react. Sometimes a shot of the judges shows that the audience is quietly applauding, and in the next shot the audience is over the top, going wild. It just seems more fake, more manipulative this season.

And the WORST was the "shy little girl" breaking into a wild rock song.  The way the story was told was too much.  Without the shy act, and being told for a few minutes how very frightened and shy she was, she wouldn't have been on the show at all.

I have no idea if its the same at the Dolby theater, but I went every year to the live shows when it was at either NJPAC or Radio City music hall. Theres a comedian who comes out before almost every act and tells us exactly who is going to come out a little bit about them etc. Then when he raises his hands we are supposed to clap etc. So you are correct in your manipulated reactions thing. Craziest thing some of those acts AREN'T EVEN THERE! They are pre-recorded videos of the acts which the comedian suggests when we are supposed to clap.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I totally miss Howard, and I don't mean kinda.

Didn't I see somewhere that he has something like six albums out? Maybe I have him confused with another "amateur" singer. But if I remember correctly, he hasn't exactly been sitting at home, taking care of kids and wishing he could do just one AGT audition and then his life would be full.

Okay, I take back my "kinda" ;)

I mentioned in another comment that Noah Guthrie has 5 albums of covers plus some singles on iTunes; don't know if you're thinking of that. Just looked up Michael Ketterer (I had to google to find his name, that's how much of an impression he made on me) and he's got some stuff under his own name and other stuff with bands. I can't tell how many actual full albums he has, but he's certainly not the total amateur they seem to want us to think he is. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Every dance act comes from some place where they would probably have been murdered if they hadn't found a way to dance.  Are there no dance troupes in middle class suburbia?

LOL. I didn't realize this until you posted it, but yes, dance troupes on this show and others all have that "we'd be murdered" backstory. I wondered why the gangs wouldn't kill dancing kids, but whatever I guess.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Just looked up Michael Ketterer (I had to google to find his name, that's how much of an impression he made on me) and he's got some stuff under his own name and other stuff with bands. I can't tell how many actual full albums he has, but he's certainly not the total amateur they seem to want us to think he is. 

Thanks arms. Maybe producers look for "talent" that has a great backstory when they are soliciting acts. So, you know, we won't get bored just watching TALENTED PEOPLE. I guess if I want to be on this show, I need to work up a great life's tragedy.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. I didn't realize this until you posted it, but yes, dance troupes on this show and others all have that "we'd be murdered" backstory. I wondered why the gangs wouldn't kill dancing kids, but whatever I guess.

The dancing would clue the other gangs that the kids are members of either the jets or the sharks, and leave them alone out of respect

• Love 9
(edited)

I have no problem if these acts are established IF they tell us they are. Example Johnny Manuel told us he was a failed act that had a record deal before etc. The problem I have is when they try to pass off as amateurs when they can easily be looked up on the internet and its easy to find that they are not.

I wonder how America's Got Talent: Champions edition will be, because the sob stories aren't going to work as much there since we know who those people are already.

I also wonder who is coming back.

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 4
On 6/14/2018 at 1:53 PM, backformore said:

Yep - and not only sexual lyrics.  Here's what Little Sophie sang: 

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way.

Not something a 5 year old has any clue about.  

Exactly.  I hate when little kids sing 'adult' songs, even when they're not overtly sexual.  There's always something lacking because the kids have no real idea what they're singing about, so it's impossible (unless they've been really well coached) for them to convey the proper emotion or feeling.  I was too distracted by her 'little girl speak' to really even think about what she was singing.  It was always just painfully obvious she was a kid by the way she pronounced her words.  That's why I thought it was kind of refreshing that one time when the young girl sang a Disney song.  Yay!  Something age appropriate for a child!

• Love 5

The whole thing about presenting a seasoned professional as an amateur started  on American Idol, when Carrie Underwood was presented as a lil ole country gal who had never been off her granpappy's farm, even showed her singing to animals on the farm.  Her whole history of living away at college, then opening for big-name country acts in Nashville, was erased.  Of course, in those days, it was easier to erase a history. ( But AI fans found it anyway. )

The point is - it worked, and now all the talent shows try to re-invent backstories, to be able to tell the story (lie) that the act was "discovered" by the show.   

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, backformore said:

The point is - it worked, and now all the talent shows try to re-invent backstories, to be able to tell the story (lie) that the act was "discovered" by the show.   

Which is too bad because with probably just a little bit of effort they actually could discover some new talent.  Wouldn't that be special?

• Love 8

I read that Howard left because he couldn't stand telling little kids they weren't any good.

Not all scorpions are dangerous.  The ones scorpion guy was using look scary, but are actually very calm and gentle.

Still rooting for the cats, and maybe a few others.  Can't stand the screeching and hysterical applause and standing for mediocre performers, but that's AGT show biz.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, deemac said:

Omg.  My DVR recorded severe local weather warnings/forecast for the last 20 minutes and I missed the last 2 acts.

I can't believe this.  I watched for the first time about midway through last season and was captivated and apparently very naive.  Reading all this I feel totally conned and doubt I'll watch again.

d

I watched the repeat.  The comedian with tourettes was OK.   The golden buzzer female singer I could only take about 5 seconds of her singing/dancing(?) before I stopped it and wondered if she had tourettes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched a clip of Courtney (golden buzzer girl) from the Voice UK Kids final.  She sang, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going".  The judges were ahhing and oohing during the performance, but I thought she was awful.  The ending was more powerful, but she cannot sustain notes in a slower song from what I've seen via online videos.  As someone pointed out, she does the riffs and ad libs throughout songs, but sometimes she misses important notes to the melody.  I think she's got potential, but she needs better coaching.  How many of the child stars actually make it big now?  A handful.  The ooh they've got such a powerful voice for a child wears off once they hit adulthood.  I think she naturally moved around to the music, which she seemed to do during the Voice finale.  

I didn't see the 5 year old, but reading about what she sang reminds me of way back when I was taking voice lessons.  The studio had all ages, and would do small recitals as part of the deal.  If you can't sing in front of others, kind of defeats the purpose.  So anyhow, my vocal coach is telling me about the stage mothers.  One wanted her 6 to 8 year old to sing I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miz, which has a line 'he slept a summer by my side...….'.  My coach said no, inappropriate.  She did say she was running out of kid appropriate songs, having gone through every freaking Disney song available.  And there were kids who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, being pushed along by mom.  I'm sure they lasted a bit, then dropped along the wayside.    One little girl came into one of the recitals with every relative east of the Mississippi, and she was just ok.  Not horribly off key, but not where you went OMG she's a star!

Edited by hoosier80
spelling is important
On 6/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, xls said:

Wth? didn't we see the quick-changing-outfits couple before?

There should be age requirements here, I think, moving little kids though be cause they are so adorable, only to crush their feelings later on is just cruel. jmho

no they metioned the other couple was on a few years ago and they were inspired by them

On 6/13/2018 at 1:10 AM, suebee12 said:

Plus that outfit! No one dresses a little girl like that anymore, do they? So pretentious and not adorable for me! Why would a parent do this to a child?

she looked like shirley temple even her curly hair

On 6/17/2018 at 8:52 PM, needschocolate said:

I was just telling a coworker this today, complete with the one guy's words, "my brother got a girl pregnant so he had to quit the dance troupe and I have him back tonight".  I also agree - Sophie, although cute was a little too "pageant-like". And Courtney - I saw her on Facebook once and at first thought she was pretty good but after seeing her this time, thought about how fake the shy act was and I'm sure that the weird dance moves were supposed to remind us of Mick Jagger, but I'm sorry - she does not have "moves like Jagger". And she was very screechy overall. 

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 1