Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E24: Unicorn Poop

druzy
  • Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Bridget said:

This is exactly why I created bathroom passes for my high school students. ? They receive four passes per semester and can turn unused passes in for extra credit during finals. (They don’t know extra credit really doesn’t bump an F to a C, but I’ll never tell!)

The students have 10-15 min passing periods, but too many of them still “need to use the bathroom” the minute class starts or the minute it’s time for a pop quiz. 

I see the same kids wandering around campus for 20 mins every day, during every period. As a result, I’m extra wary about requests from my frequent fliers who engage in classic textbook task avoidance behavior.

I also have a sign out/in sheet to show parents the frequency of how often their kids “need to use the bathroom” when they want to blame me that their kid is failing.

If a kid runs out of passes, and they really have to go, I let them go, but it’s sad (to me) that making sure students try to pass my class has now evolved into me having to be the bathroom police. I hate it, I do, but it’s become a necessary thing. Damn me for caring that my students learn!

If a student misses the intro to the lesson, with examples, or they aren’t in class to take notes, then they’re lost for the rest of the class, can’t keep up with the lesson or might not know how to do the HW. 

I’ve had a few kids even have the audacity to take 40+ minutes claiming their “stomach hurt them.” Uh huh. Sure. 

Sadly, it’s quite common for a group of students plan to meet up in the middle of 4th period and it’s never to help an elderly person cross the street! It’s how many students get injured; they’re jumped or attacked in bathrooms or blind spots. Girls have had their faces slashed, hair cut off, skin mutilated and that’s just what I know about. 

In this day and age, it’s also a serious safety issue. Kids can’t be roaming the hallways on a self-imposed brain break. I try to embed a brain break during each class to keep them motivated/engaged, but I can only do so much. God forbid something happens and there’s a lock down, those student(s) have nowhere to go. They’re supposed to run to the nearest open classroom during a lockdown (15-30 seconds before most doors are locked), but if they’re knocking on a locked door to be let in, and the teacher opens the door to let them in, that means a teacher just risked everything because someone wasn’t in class. That’s exactly how one of the teachers at Stoneman Douglas in Florida died; he opened his locked door for a student who was self-admittedly wanderering around the halls to use their phone. THAT is the shit that I wish we could be honest about and say “this is why you need to go to the bathroom before class”, but we can’t.

However, Kaiser should have been allowed AND encouraged to go to the bathroom, hands down. That would mean a “parent” would have had to get up off of their arse and go with him though, so there you go. 

From what little I know about potty training, I do know that you always honor the request to go potty, regardless of the frequency. Kaiser wetting his bed at Nathan’s is a symptom of psychological shit going on at The Land and I don’t understand why Nathan doesn’t get that. Then again, it’s Nathan.

I wonder if K wets the bed when he’s on The Land? I don’t know much about the topic, but if he wets the bed at Nathan’s, wouldn’t he statistically wet the bed at “home” too?

I was also floored (but then again, it’s DFs 1 & 2) that Maryssa and Jace were playing in a car. I hope there weren’t any keys nearby to emit a signal, but using the interior of a vehicle as a playground? That is just asking for an accident. Way too many scary combinations of kids & buttons to ever think that is ever OK.

Bridg, I give you sooo much credit.  Being a teacher is just so, so much more than educating young minds.  The respect & compensation you guys get is a sin.  Seriously the most honorable profession.

• Love 12
On 6/15/2018 at 1:38 PM, Bridget said:

I saw that too and cringed.

It looked homemade, which is extra thoughtful, but wouldn’t one think to triple check grammar rules before creating such a unique piece?

I judge them very harshly on this. Just pathetic and cringe-worthy, period. Sorry not sorry.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/21/2018 at 1:55 AM, Christina said:

This is coming from the deep recesses of my memory, and I believe it's correct because it defends Kail and I'm loathe to do that in any circumstance, but in this case I think Javi is the unreasonable one about something so I guess it's possible I'm mis-remembering. My dislike of Kail is more than my dislike of him, but not by all that much. 

When Javi first returned from Qatar, his plane wasn't supposed to get in until late in the evening. Kail made the decision to not tell the kids he would be home that night, in part because it was going to keep them up late and if there was a delay, they would be disappointed. Instead, his family met him at the airport the night he returned and the kids were surprised the next day. 

In my opinion, Javi pouted about it because he wanted it filmed. I know it was his first deployment but doubt it was his first time flying internationally and delays from the Air Force or the airplane would result in the kids' excitement then disappointment if he didn't arrive in time, which is just an asshole move. When we were younger, my sister and I never knew the day my dad or mom were to return from deployment until we were on the way to the airport. My Dad was constantly delayed, stop-lossed, sent somewhere shortly before he was supposed to be coming home, and then you had the airlines which overbook as a matter of course and the weather liked to be uncooperative.

Javi's family greeting him probably wasn't worth sending out a crew. Isn't this second possible deployment really old news? I didn't watch the episode but remember that someone wasn't going to deploy because of some conflict so Javi was told he would be going, but then he received word that the first person was being sent to Qatar and not the other location. I remember a discussion about how you can't say no and that's when the information came out about the conflict about where the other person was being deployed and it was suggested that Javi was given a heads-up but knew he was unlikely to be sent and ultimately wasn't.

I think your recollection is right and your point about it not making sense to drag kids out to wait for hours in the middle of the night, etc. makes sense. With that being said, I think that given the type of person Javi is (emotionally needy/attention-seeking/sentimental/etc.), someone who actually cared about him (so, not Kail) would understand that it would be a big deal for him to have as many people as possible at the airport when he arrived home and that it would mean a lot to him to have maximal screaming/crying/"I love you, Daddy!"ing. So a nicer, more caring person might have brought the kids and had them sleep in the car/whatever so they could be there when Javi arrived (which would also be a nice, memorable family moment for the kids). Doing that might have also been a nice way to cushion the coming blows of making it official that Kail was dumping Javi, he was no longer welcome in their home, etc. But Kail doesn't do "nice," "compassionate," "caring," or "sensitive." So she was basically like, "It's not convenient for me to bring the kids to greet you when you arrive. Fuck you."

With that being said, all of that was a long time ago; Javi might have agreed to not having the kids come to the airport (even if he wasn't really ok with it); they've certainly discussed it since then and supposedly laid it to rest; it doesn't help anyone to bring up ancient drama at this point; etc. Javi is definitely a drama queen and an attention whore and I totally agree that he brought up the pain of Lincoln not being there when he came home to be dramatic and get sympathy. All of which is made 10 times more stupid and extra since he knocked up another chick within a couple of months of this "important," "heartfelt" conversation with Briana. They're ridiculous individually and their ridiculousness is squared when they're together.

12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was Moi. ?

I think Javi has low self esteem, and Capt Save a Ho tendencies. By “saving” these women he feels needed and useful and it fuels his ego. He also thinks that means they will love him for what he doesn’t not who he IS. I’m sure his sisters and cousins may have said something once or twice, but we’re probably told to “mind their own business”. I otherwise wouldn’t take too much out of them not wanting to be on the show but....

There was a scene with his brother(?) telling him that the family had concerns about Kail before they got married, but they didn't say anything because they felt it wasn't their place. I think his sister said something similar. Javi obviously has issues if he married a woman who physically abused him and was clearly more interested in his benefits than in him. I think you're right about the low self-esteem and the Captain Save-A-Ho tendencies.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:17 PM, zenme said:

Hopefully it's not something that Cole made in his garage. We've seen him doing some woodworking. 

At first I thought they had the sign made and I was appalled that a professional sign maker doesn't know how to pluralize, but it makes more sense that Cole made it. I still think it's pathetic that, as a college graduate and native English speaker, he doesn't understand how to pluralize in English (Which is a pretty simple rule; just adding an 's' is right the vast majority of the time. It's NEVER appropriate to pluralize by adding 'apostrophe s'. NEVER*. (This is a pet grammatical peeve of mine.)) [*Ok, except with acronyms, but still.]

Edited by TheRealT
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TheRealT said:

At first I thought they had the sign made and I was appalled that a professional sign maker doesn't know how to pluralize, but it makes more sense that Cole made it. I still think it's pathetic that, as a college graduate and native English speaker, he doesn't understand how to pluralize in English (Which is a pretty simple rule; just adding an 's' is right the vast majority of the time. It's NEVER appropriate to pluralize by adding 'apostrophe s'. NEVER*. (This is a pet grammatical peeve of mine.)) [*Ok, except with acronyms, but still.]

Is he a college graduate?  Doesn’t he make signs for a living?

This is a pet peeve of mine too.  The only way the sign makes sense is if it was a part in a series of signs, like:

Cole DeBoer’s America!

• Love 9
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, TheRealT said:

okay, as long as your sure that their aren't other's. 

(With the way that we all write, post & text nowadays, it just kind of gets easier to figure out who knows what's going on, isn't it?)

• Love 4
On 6/11/2018 at 9:41 PM, asemumma said:

Why the Hell were Kail and her sidekick in full glam makeup & hair to tape a podcast? We all know she has a face for radio, but that doesn’t mean she needed all of the warpaint. 

Brianna and her horrendous pronunciation... “Mommy needs to take care of you BOF.” Grrr..... 

And we’re to believe that all of the sudden Louis is going to pony up $1000 a month for Stella’s daycare?! Yeah, right. That’ll last approximately 2 1/2 weeks before we hear Brianna bitching about how much of a loser he is (as if that wasn’t obvious) and how she can’t affoed daycare. Mark my words. 

On 6/11/2018 at 9:41 PM, asemumma said:

Why the Hell were Kail and her sidekick in full glam makeup & hair to tape a podcast? We all know she has a face for radio, but that doesn’t mean she needed all of the warpaint. 

Brianna and her horrendous pronunciation... “Mommy needs to take care of you BOF.” Grrr..... 

And we’re to believe that all of the sudden Louis is going to pony up $1000 a month for Stella’s daycare?! Yeah, right. That’ll last approximately 2 1/2 weeks before we hear Brianna bitching about how much of a loser he is (as if that wasn’t obvious) and how she can’t affoed daycare. Mark my words. 

I can't stand Brianna. Ick!!

• Love 2
On 6/22/2018 at 8:10 PM, TheRealT said:

I think your recollection is right and your point about it not making sense to drag kids out to wait for hours in the middle of the night, etc. makes sense. With that being said, I think that given the type of person Javi is (emotionally needy/attention-seeking/sentimental/etc.), someone who actually cared about him (so, not Kail) would understand that it would be a big deal for him to have as many people as possible at the airport when he arrived home and that it would mean a lot to him to have maximal screaming/crying/"I love you, Daddy!"ing. So a nicer, more caring person might have brought the kids and had them sleep in the car/whatever so they could be there when Javi arrived (which would also be a nice, memorable family moment for the kids). Doing that might have also been a nice way to cushion the coming blows of making it official that Kail was dumping Javi, he was no longer welcome in their home, etc. But Kail doesn't do "nice," "compassionate," "caring," or "sensitive." So she was basically like, "It's not convenient for me to bring the kids to greet you when you arrive. Fuck you."

Yeah, if it benefited Kail any, those kids would have been kept awake to greet Javi at the airport. Hurting Javi was just the cherry on top of the shit sundae she was going to serve him. It just so happens that not taking them to the airport was in their best interests due to the risk of major disappointment. Unlike Kail, the boys and Javi's family were excited for his return.

Ahhh, the unnecessary apostrophe. I'm a native English speaker who attended well schools and yet my primary typos are the apostrophes where they don't belong along with unnecessary commas. For some reason, I never see them when I'm proofreading but when reading my post that was quoted they jump right off the screen and I cringe.

Since I recognize that not everyone on the internet is a native English speaker who went to well schools, I overlook errors like the incorrect their and your. If I can understand what they are trying to get across, it doesn't bother me at all. However, lack of periods, capitalization and the excess commas (,,,,,) are nails on the chalkboard to my eyes. Why are there five commas? Does that mean something new in webspeak? Is it taking place of a period? Well, no, that can't be it because the next word isn't capitalized. None of the words are capitalized. There are no periods. What the hell am I reading? Why am I spending more time trying to figure out what this person is posting they s/he did typing it? Oh, right, loss of brain cells from watching trash television.

• Love 6