Type keyword(s) to search

Iris West

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I wonder if they will be doing Iris West's storyline for the comics? Or will that be too out there? 

I've never heard of the actress, so I'll give her a chance before I form an opinion. 

• Love 2

Now I realise I'm being completely unfair here, but...

...I really hope the extended trailer is misleading, because so far Iris is almost a carbon copy of Kristin Kreuk's Lana Lang from Smallville, down to the mannerisms and line delivery.

Haven't they fucking learned that love interests need agency and direction and a life of their own?  Haven't they learned nothing from the debacles of Lana and Laurel?

It's not enough for a leading lady to be beautiful, show.  She needs to have a personality too.

• Love 1

I just opened a topic for questions about the comic and how it (may) relate to the show, I tagged it as spoilers but this isn't a "spoiler" topic for actual show info, just spoilers in the sense that these themes and stories may be played out on the show. 

I know very little about the comics.  Is Iris West related to Wally West?

Well, she is his aunt. I always thought that Wally was Barry's nephew from his side of the family and not from Iris's. And now, I'm going to have to go research it or ask my more comic savvy friends.

I know very little about the comics.  Is Iris West related to Wally West?

Heh.  Clearly you know a little if you even know that Wally exists! (unless you know him from the Justice League animated series, where the character was named Wally, but kind of had Barry's background)

As far as this show goes, I suppose that we could get a Wally, but he'll be some kind of awkwardly fit sidekick/follower, who's barely younger than our protagonist unless they really are literal about the "Kid" part of Kid Flash.  Barry being so young on this show really pushes them into an awkward spot I suppose with a sidekick (since TV these says usually frowns on outright children as sidekicks on shows with villains who kill people). As a nephew to Iris though they could presumably keep Wally off-screen for quite some time if needed though (vs. if he was a brother or son).

Of course, with the screwy New 52 around we could also get a Bart Allen Kid Flash character instead, via a Time Travel plot (since it seems like Time Travel is likely on this show, given the notion that Zoom probably pops back in time to kill Barry's mother).

• Love 1

Yes, I mainly know about Wally from JL/JLU.  I only vaguely know about Bart Allen.  Wasn't he supposed to be Barry's nephew?   I don't see how people keep up with all the different comic iterations/plots...even the writers!   

Yes, I mainly know about Wally from JL/JLU.  I only vaguely know about Bart Allen.  Wasn't he supposed to be Barry's nephew?   I don't see how people keep up with all the different comic iterations/plots...even the writers!   

Bart Allen: It's Wikipedia, but as far as I can recall, actually seems accurate.  There are four main versions:

1990s Bart:

As first conceived by writers, Bart was born in the 30th century to Meloni Thawne and Don Allen, and is part of a complex family tree of superheroes and supervillains. His father, Don, is one of the Tornado Twins and his paternal grandfather is Barry Allen, the second Flash. His paternal grandmother, Iris West Allen, is also the adoptive aunt of the first Kid Flash, Wally West (Bart's first cousin once removed). Additionally, Bart is the first cousin of XS, a Legionnaire and daughter of Dawn Allen. On his mother's side, he is a descendant of supervillains Professor Zoom and Cobalt Blue as well as the half-brother of Owen Mercer, the second Captain Boomerang. In addition to these relatives, he had a supervillain clone known as Inertia.

New 52 Bart:

After the DC universe was rebooted in 2011, Teen Titans #1 opens with Bart six months prior to his first appearance, saving a mansion from a fire. He cannot explain how is able to move at superhuman speeds, but he is certain that he has a connection to the Flash, and so begins to call himself "Kid Flash". The second issue identifies this Kid Flash as Bart Allen.[42] Virgil Hawkins, a brilliant intern from S.T.A.R. Labs, performs diagnostic tests on Bart and concludes that Bart is not from the 21st Century, indicating that he may possibly be from the 30th Century. Based on his test, Virgil presents Kid Flash with a new uniform, one that can keep his molecules aligned.[43] This Bart Allen is also hinted to be from the future as his flashes from the future [44] and the Legion Lost team's recollection of him from their history indicate.[45]

Kid Flash's new origin story is later given in Teen Titans #25 and 26 (December 2013, January 14). His real name is explained to be Bar Torr, having been sent to the 21st century as part of a witness protection program ahead of his trial for terrible crimes

Smallville TV show Bart: 

An episode of Smallville entitled "Run" featured a speedster named Bart Allen (played by Kyle Gallner). Bart also carried around identification with the names "Jay Garrick", "Barry Allen", and "Wally West", the first three Flashes in the main DC Universe.

Young Justice TV show Bart:

He is first seen in the year 2056 working on a time machine and being wished a farewell from an unknown person in a Belle Reve jumpsuit. He then travels back to the year 2016 and is transported inside Mount Justice where he is confronted by Nightwing, Robin, and Beast Boy. After trying to escape, he is stopped by Nightwing. He tells the three heroes that he is the grandson of Barry Allen and Iris West Allen and that he is a time-traveling tourist, but they could call him Impulse. To prove that he is from the future, he reveals the secret identities of all three heroes. Impulse then escapes and heads to Central City to meet his family. When he meets his grandparents, he inadvertently reveals that his grandmother is pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl, and also meets the retired Flash, Jay Garrick, and the retired Kid Flash, Wally West (who is Allen's first cousin once removed).

(edited)

Now I realise I'm being completely unfair here, but...

...I really hope the extended trailer is misleading, because so far Iris is almost a carbon copy of Kristin Kreuk's Lana Lang from Smallville, down to the mannerisms and line delivery.

Haven't they fucking learned that love interests need agency and direction and a life of their own?  Haven't they learned nothing from the debacles of Lana and Laurel?

It's not enough for a leading lady to be beautiful, show.  She needs to have a personality too.

I don't know how you can judge Iris as a character based off that trailer.

What else has she done? I've never heard of her before. Can anyone elucidate?

Here's some of her work

http://vimeo.com/channels/candicepattontv/50256032

Edited by In2You
  • Love 2

I don't know how you can judge Iris as a character based off that trailer.

Iris is overall the same character "idea" as Lois Lane, except that she married her Superhero far earlier in the character's history.  So any complaints people have about Iris, they should have about Lois.

• Love 1

We obviously don't know how Iris will play out in her entirety in this show. But given that it's the CW, given that it's a spin-off of Arrow and we know from Arrow how that show has treated its "meant to be" romance, I wouldn't fault anyone for being concerned that Iris might end up being a two-dimensional, perpetual damsel in distress who only exists as Barry's potential girlfriend and Detective West's daughter rather than as a person in her own right.

I dont think iris is going to be another laurel. From her profile she's a criminal psychologist who is eventually going be working with barry, her dad and the potential series long antagonist who she is dating for now. So she's already connect to these key players. I believe she's going to have her own story line without appearing forced into the scenes. The character seems smart to me. People should just give her a chance. Laurel did not work because of the stupid back story and the horrible writing, not because she's the love interest.

• Love 6

Well theoretically at least Laurel was connected to key players in ways that could have been interesting, and pursuing justice in the courtroom as opposed to vigilante-ism is obviously a valid path both morally and as a career (whether or not it works is another thing). Obviously (hopefully) Iris won’t have the terrible sister/cheating/death/guilt backstory that Laurel and Laurel/Oliver is weighed down by and we can only hope the writing is better for Iris and Iris/Barry but based on the few seconds of clips in the trailer I’m not necessarily sure about that. Still I'll wait until we see everything in context and give the show at least 3 episodes to find its feet. 

My only knowledge of Iris, is from the animated Justice League movie, The New Frontier, which was set in the 60s, and a period piece. And we had Barry's Flash; Iris, I thought, was a reporter.

So, has her career changed over the many ages? Or is this just this show's take on what Iris does for a living?

My only knowledge of Iris, is from the animated Justice League movie, The New Frontier, which was set in the 60s, and a period piece. And we had Barry's Flash; Iris, I thought, was a reporter.

So, has her career changed over the many ages? Or is this just this show's take on what Iris does for a living?

As far as I recall Iris has been a reporter with about the same consistency as her inspiration for existing (Lois Lane).

• Like 1
(edited)

I don't know how anybody feels equipped to make judgements and Lana comparisons based on a two minute clip but regardless I'm excited for this character. It's nice to finally see a black female lead on the CW and the actress (whom I'm now following on twitter) seems like a sweetheart.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

I don't know how anybody feels equipped to make judgements and Lana comparisons based on a two minute clip but regardless I'm excited for this character.

Iris being a poorly crafted character, IMO, is a natural concern when the trailer is seen in the context of a) a long tradition of female leads in comics/comic-based tv shows and movies who are mainly there to serve as damsels in distress, romantic interests from afar who do not actually date the hero or his alter-ego because of arbitrary reasons, nags, and/or self-righteous whiners who lack agency b) the specific precedent of Laurel from "Arrow," the show that Flash is spun off from and the product of many of the same writers/producers as Flash and c) the specific precedent of the CW/the WB/UPN, which has had a plethora of actresses cast primarily for their looks rather than their acting abilities.

• Love 1

I've watched a lot of CW shows with plenty of fantastic actors, for every did there's quite a few good ones so I still would reserve judgement until the show is seen. I hear it's floating around somewhere so I'm sure people can catch Iris there.

• Like 1

I've watched a lot of CW shows with plenty of fantastic actors, for every did there's quite a few good ones so I still would reserve judgement until the show is seen. I hear it's floating around somewhere so I'm sure people can catch Iris there.

I caught it and

I thought she was great. Real and warm and with a great sense of humor. No complaints on my end. Gives me hope for the show.

• Love 2

Iris being a poorly crafted character, IMO, is a natural concern when the trailer is seen in the context of a) a long tradition of female leads in comics/comic-based tv shows and movies who are mainly there to serve as damsels in distress, romantic interests from afar who do not actually date the hero or his alter-ego because of arbitrary reasons, nags, and/or self-righteous whiners who lack agency b) the specific precedent of Laurel from "Arrow," the show that Flash is spun off from and the product of many of the same writers/producers as Flash and c) the specific precedent of the CW/the WB/UPN, which has had a plethora of actresses cast primarily for their looks rather than their acting abilities.

How about you watch some of Candice Patton's work instead of prejudging her acting abilities? Because she's actually a very capable actress. And the CW casts plenty of males based off their looks only but I never really see anyone  talking about that or prejuding the males before watching the show.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

For every Nikita or Veronica Mars on the CW, there have been probably 3-4 Laurels, Lanas, or Caras.

I want to be clear: I am not prejudging Candice Patton's work. In fact, to quote myself: "We obviously don't know how Iris will play out in her entirety in this show." I'm just saying that it strikes me as being perfectly reasonable to fear that her character gets the short shrift, or that she turns out to be more in the Laurel/Lana/Cara camp than the Nikita/Veronica camp.

I have watched the pilot and I am not as enthusiastic as JayKay about the character or Candice. But I still am well aware that a pilot is just an opening salvo and that it takes both the writers and the actors time to develop (or fail to develop) a character. I'm definitely going to keep my fingers crossed. For what it's worth, my personal fears lie more with the writing rather than with Candice in the wake of viewing the pilot.

Her character being the only one of the main cast to not know Barry is the Flash by the end of the pilot is a setup for her to be marginalized, for an annoying love triangle and for "secrets and lies" drama. I also didn't have a great sense of who she is and what she wants, or less of a sense of her than most of the other characters.

In terms of males who are cast for their looks rather than their acting abilities and criticism of the same, I would point you to Arrow discussions of the guy who plays Roy Harper. I can't think of too many examples of lead actors on CW shows who struck me as being as weak at acting as the folks who portrayed Laurel/Lana/Cara. Granted, Tom Welling was often underwhelming in his own right, and but when he wanted to, I think he did a good job acting. 

For every Nikita or Veronica Mars on the CW, there have been probably 3-4 Laurels, Lanas, or Caras.

I want to be clear: I am not prejudging Candice Patton's work. In fact, to quote myself: "We obviously don't know how Iris will play out in her entirety in this show." I'm just saying that it strikes me as being perfectly reasonable to fear that her character gets the short shrift, or that she turns out to be more in the Laurel/Lana/Cara camp than the Nikita/Veronica camp.

I have watched the pilot and I am not as enthusiastic as JayKay about the character or Candice. But I still am well aware that a pilot is just an opening salvo and that it takes both the writers and the actors time to develop (or fail to develop) a character. I'm definitely going to keep my fingers crossed. For what it's worth, my personal fears lie more with the writing rather than with Candice in the wake of viewing the pilot.

Her character being the only one of the main cast to not know Barry is the Flash by the end of the pilot is a setup for her to be marginalized, for an annoying love triangle and for "secrets and lies" drama. I also didn't have a great sense of who she is and what she wants, or less of a sense of her than most of the other characters.

In terms of males who are cast for their looks rather than their acting abilities and criticism of the same, I would point you to Arrow discussions of the guy who plays Roy Harper. I can't think of too many examples of lead actors on CW shows who struck me as being as weak at acting as the folks who portrayed Laurel/Lana/Cara. Granted, Tom Welling was often underwhelming in his own right, and but when he wanted to, I think he did a good job acting. 

The CW's Nikita was a water down version of the original but that's another discussion entirely.

I can think of several week male leads on the CW. The male leads on StarCrossed, The 100, The Secret Circle, The Tomorrow People and countless other shows.

I can think of several week male leads on the CW. The male leads on StarCrossed, The 100, The Secret Circle, The Tomorrow People and countless other shows.

There's actually more than a few people who think Stephen Amell was cast for for his looks/body and that his cousin was miscast on TTP. There's probably more prevealent complaining about actresses but I think "pretty boy ex model leads" aren't immune from it by any means. 

As for Patton I think she's fine but I haven't particularly marked her in anything I've seen of her so far. 

I think she was fine as Iris and as a character she certainly has a lot less WTF? baggage with Barry than Laurel did hanging around her neck with Oliver, she certainly has some potential. However I agree that I'm not enthused that she's the only character who doesn't know about Barry, which from previous experience suggests a season of side plots and probably bitchy angst from Barry.

• Love 1

Weak male leads? Sure. I would concede that the guy who played Roman and Robbie Ammell are not likely to take home any awards any time soon. (Haven't watched much of the other shows). 

I do not think, however, their characters were anywhere in the Lana/Laurel/Cara territory that I was speaking of, and they are far better actors IMO than Kristin Kreuk (circa Smallville, anyway, maybe she's improved)/KC/Peyton List. Part of it may reside with the writing of shows -- it would be unthinkable to have a male lead be as thinly written as those three, especially in genre fiction that has the male lead as some sort of Chosen One. 

Anyway, I don't want to divert too much from the topic of what do we think Iris West will be like.

I just watched the pilot and I have to say I'm not enthused about the character. Patton did a decent enough job, but the writing for the character did her no favors. 

It feels like Laurel 2.0 to me, personally. They told us she was the love interest right off the bat, Barry is keeping his heroism a secret from her, and they are doing a love triangle already. These same writers did the exact same thing in the Arrow pilot. Which just tells me that they suck at bringing bringing the romantic relationships from the comics to screen. 

(edited)
Well theoretically at least Laurel was connected to key players in ways that could have been interesting, and pursuing justice in the courtroom as opposed to vigilante-ism is obviously a valid path both morally and as a career (whether or not it works is another thing). Obviously (hopefully) Iris won’t have the terrible sister/cheating/death/guilt backstory that Laurel and Laurel/Oliver is weighed down by and we can only hope the writing is better for Iris and Iris/Barry but based on the few seconds of clips in the trailer I’m not necessarily sure about that. Still I'll wait until we see everything in context and give the show at least 3 episodes to find its feet.

No cheating backstory, but they have made Barry & iris growing up as foster brother and sister, this could turn off some fans. And the friendzoning seems strong here. I honestly don't think they made much of an effort to not make Iris, Laurel 2.0. Different personalities yeah, but her career, family dynamic, characterization, backstory with Barry is quite similar to what they did with Laurel. However that doesn't necessarily mean she will become the total failure that laurel became, they will slightly be a different writing team, Candice is not Katie Cassidy (hopefully she is better), and she could actually end up having chemistry with her leading man and the others. 

Just ridiculous though the writers may just have made it harder for the character, by copying and pasting what didn't work before in the other show. 

Edited by Conell
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think it'll work this time (not that it didn't work in Arrow for me). 

Also Candice seems enthusiastic of the role (in addition to being ridiculously hot) 

Edited by wingster55

The whole foster sister thing is a little weird. I mean they basically grew up together as siblings. CW sure does know how to create uncomfortable relationship situations. (*cough* Oliver/Laurel) 

I've probably seen way too much anime to be uncomfortable with this scenario. Although I'd prefer for Barry to just move the fuck on and not pine for her for more than half a season at most, and for her to continue seeing him as a brother-figure. Otherwise, way too Nice Guy-ish.

• Love 1
(edited)

They're presumably gonna get together (I know nothing about comic books, but

correct me if I'm wrong but they're getting together seems to be pivotal to the Flash series or something like that

), so I'm a little annoyed that they already made it hard for them by friendzoning him, brotherzoning(?) him, and

having her get a boyfriend while he was in the coma

. I like her but I don't understand why they would put so many complicated barriers to them getting together if they already know it will/needs to happen. I hope they drop most of those barriers fast (like, by the end of the season or earlier fast) and that she learns he's the Flash even faster (the bane of superhero shows/movies everywhere: the perpetually oblivious love interest. Please don't do it, show!).

Edited by hogwash
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

They're presumably gonna get together (I know nothing about comic books, but

correct me if I'm wrong but they're getting together seems to be pivotal to the Flash series or something like that

), so I'm a little annoyed that they already made it hard for them by friendzoning him, brotherzoning(?) him, and

having her get a boyfriend while he was in the coma

. I like her but I don't understand why they would put so many complicated barriers to them getting together if they already know it will/needs to happen. I hope they drop most of those barriers fast (like, by the end of the season or earlier fast) and that she learns he's the Flash even faster (the bane of superhero shows/movies everywhere: the perpetually oblivious love interest. Please don't do it, show!).

yeah in the comics they're together. The roadblocks are just typical CW drama. In the comics they don't even meet until their adults but here they decided to make him so friend-zoned that he's pretty much her adopted brother. It was the same with Arrow. The comics they don't have the whole cheating with sister storyline but they added it to the show to add more relationship drama/road blocks. (And this worked out very badly for them) 

Well if the pairing is ironclad it's not filling me with much hope for the show... Although who knows, maybe they'll find a new and awesome writer who can do romance well, they certainly never had one on Arrow.

The whole foster sister thing is a little weird. I mean they basically grew up together as siblings. CW sure does know how to create uncomfortable relationship situations. (*cough* Oliver/Laurel) 

i don't think foster sibblings automatically makes it creepy because they don't always see each other as related. It could completely be more of a childhood friends dynamic. I imagine that the original set up will be Iris not even considering Barry as anything other than an almost-brother like childhood friends do even when they are a boy/girl pair. With the way GG talked about his situation vis-à-vis the crossover and Felicity, it sounds like he might have always seen her romantically while to Iris it might not even be a consideration. I see this more as a spiderman situation with Peter and Mary-Jane.

People who have seen the pilot can add to that but to me a love triangle is when the common interest is aware there is a competition for their attention and are considering both options. I am sure it will come to that later but it doesn't strike me that this is initially the case here.

I definitely think it's unfair to make her Laurel 2.0 without giving her and the show time to find its footing. Besides comic book canon is not that unshakeable as seen in Arrow. Because I am pretty sure this is the season where they try to give Laurel her last chance to see whether they give her the boot or not. Hopefully for her, even if people feel Barry is more romantically organic with an other person, the character can be liked on her own and they can keep her around without being here only for the OTP.

• Love 2

Hopefully for her, even if people feel Barry is more romantically organic with an other person, the character can be liked on her own and they can keep her around without being here only for the OTP.

I agree. Iris or Caitlin or any other ladies on this show should have more going on for them than whether they're going to hook up with Barry. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I know this sounds bad but I don't know what use Iris would have in the story line. At least Laurel was a lawyer that was involved with some of the villains and  has a superhero persona that she's destined to become. In the comics they at least made Iris a reporter so she would be somewhat involved, but in this apparently she's in school to become a psychologist or something. She has no relevance to the main plot. She's pretty much only there to be a romantic interest. (I know this is very premature and I will definitely watch and hope to be proved wrong.)

Edited by ban1o

Iris could end up doing research into many of the Rogues, the effect of whatever they're calling the STAR Lab explosion on people, or various other things. 

Hopefully she will get to be defined as more than love interest/daughter of cop/Damsel in Distress.

I know this sounds bad but I don't know what use Iris would have in the story line. At least Laurel was a lawyer that was involved with some of the villains and  has a superhero persona that she's destined to become. In the comics they at least made Iris a reporter so she would be somewhat involved, but in this apparently she's in school to become a psychologist or something. She has no relevance to the main plot.

She is his best friend slash adoptive sibling like. Iris and her dad are like Barry's family, so I think she will always have a part to play in his life whether she is a romantic interest or not. This is were they got right and Arrow didnt with Laurel, Laurel/Oliver, her real ties to him were only as a love interest. She may be a lawyer but it hardly came to use, her father as a police officer was of more use. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

She is his best friend slash adoptive sibling like. Iris and her dad are like Barry's family, so I think she will always have a part to play in his life whether she is a romantic interest or not. This is were they got right and Arrow didnt with Laurel, Laurel/Oliver, her real ties to him were only as a love interest. She may be a lawyer but it hardly came to use, her father as a police officer was of more use. 

haha I still find the adoptive sibling thing kinda weird but I guess you're right. it's a good way to integrate Iris more since her. Barry and Joe are pretty much family. 

• Love 1

She is his best friend slash adoptive sibling like. Iris and her dad are like Barry's family, so I think she will always have a part to play in his life whether she is a romantic interest or not.

This is another reason why keeping Iris out of the loop is dumb. It's not like on Arrow where Oliver was keeping his (sometimes criminal) vigilante activities a secret; if we can classify Barry's new abilities as say, a medical condition, family would be among the first people you talk to about it.

• Love 2

I'm really hoping Iris finds out sooner rather than later, by the end of season 1 at the LATEST.

I already love Iris though! Shallowly, she's super gorgeous and Candice and Grant have fantastic chemistry. Smallville!Lois Lane is my favorite character of all time, so personally I'm thrilled The Flash is giving Iris a storyline similar to Lois's s8 Red-Blue Blur storyline.

• Love 3

Season 1 finale would be way too late, TBH. I have no idea what's the point of Iris in the story right now. I mean, even Laurel had a law career that would presumably feed into the crime stuff, Iris' journalism elective is just not enough. They need to think fast if they don't want the viewers to hate her (although, judging by Arrow, it's not like they care the majority can't stand their supposed female lead).

Yeah I hope its sooner than that, but they are giving her a purpose in the show. (And more of one than Laurel has, lbr.) From this article:

As for Iris' journalistic endeavors, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says that The Flash isn't just an origin story for Barry Allen but for others as well. "We're seeing her from the ground up. She's starting as a blogger, and as the season progresses, we'll see her take journalism to heart, and that'll be her beginning. There's a great line when Barry says in episode two, 'We were all struck by that bolt.' Everybody on the show was changed that night whether they know it or not," he says.

Adds Kreisberg: "For Iris, The Flash appearing and her interest in it — you'll find out more about why that's happening — has really changed the course of her life, and it's what sets her on the path of becoming her ultimate comic book character."

I'm not sure if they're totally abandoning the whole grad school thing, but it seems like they are leading up to Iris becoming a journalist. And for that reason, I'm thinking she won't find out about Barry until near the end of the season, because given the fact that she's gonna be reporting (in one way or another) on The Flash, they need to keep that dramatic tension up.

Edited by Freckles101
  • Love 1

I like Iris, but I do have fears that the writers learned nothing from the failure of this character profile on Arrow. The slightly snarky, disapproving True Love of the hero's life, who is the only one in the dark about his true identity, etc etc. But at least Iris seems to unreservedly love Barry, and seems pro-Flash for now too, which puts her two steps ahead of Season 1 Laurel. 

Another tricky thing for the writers to navigate for Iris is that the "Person A has been pining for Person B for years; It's True Love, Person B just can't see it yet" trope is rarely kind to Person B, and it usually requires them to "come to their senses" in some insulting, icky way. I will say that at least there was that moment in the pilot (I think?) where Iris looked sort of disappointed for a second when Barry brushed off the idea that he was thinking about her that way. So I think they've planted the idea that she might have some feelings for him too, and that she's denying them, where Barry has accepted it as a fact of his life.

In the optimistic column, these writers have been known to bring up a trope only to subvert it--Joe West finding out so fast and coming around to Barry's viewpoint is a good example, for me. So now I just hope that Iris finds out soon, that she also figures out about Barry's feelings soon.

• Love 2

So now I just hope that Iris finds out soon, that she also figures out about Barry's feelings soon.

Yeah; there's two things that have to happen eventually: 1.) She finds out about his powers, and 2.) she finds out his feelings for her. Unfortunately, I don't see the writers letting both of those things happen soon (within the same season). It'd be great if I wrong, but TV likes to drag these things out as much as they can.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if they're totally abandoning the whole grad school thing, but it seems like they are leading up to Iris becoming a journalist.

I could be a nice tie to her future in journalism if she grumps about her psychology dissertation to Barry. he can ask what's happening with it. Iris responds with something along the lines of 'That's the problem! I keep finding great subjects that I want to write about as well!' 

Having a Master in psychology could help Barry and the team in the long run as well. ( Excuse the pun.)  Cisco is the gadget-maker. Caitlin is the biological sciences. Wells is some of the more "hard" sciences, like physics and quantum mechanics (?).  Joe brings The Law into the mix, as well as an aspect of Family. Iris overlaps with  Joe in the Family department, but bringing media and psychology in for the team could be great!   

Okay, do these folks want me to hate Joe? Because they are.

I like that Iris feels she has found something important to her and she is refusing to let her dad, and now Barry, talk her out of it. Joe somehow talked/got her out of the police academy after being accepted. She's being treated as if she is some heedless, flaky teenager. She's a woman in her twenties, doing work on a freaking dissertation- the last step before attaining a Doctorate. Her father gives her no credit for anything not in his narrow definition of safe for Iris.

I thought that Barry neglected to explain the "if some bad guy, like that cold guy, thought you understood The Streak more than the average person, you are going to be a magnet for Bad Guys" reasoning. As either Barry or The Streak. 

Iris' tears at the end felt earned. She finally finds a way to try and help Barry free his dad, prove Barry's right to Joe, and share in something Barry's had a passion about proving since he was eleven. The 180 by Barry had to be hurtful and baffling; I think she knows Joe is behind it, as he seems to have been behind the nipping of any bud he deems dangerous. While I am not in agreement with everything Iris has done, Joe has overreached too much and needs to have a metaphorical nub to be pulled back after this episode. Iris has made The Streak and her blog her hill to metaphorically die on. She has to get him to back off for herself.

• Love 8