Type keyword(s) to search

Caitlin Snow

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think her personality is closer to Laurel's.

I see what you were saying, but I have to respectfully disagree.

I can't see Laurel having any kind of goofy discussion, like Caitlin and Cisco's 'How many bugs does Barry swallow in a day?'  The way Laurel is written, I honestly think that a silly notion like that would not occur to her, much less verbalizing it with a friend. 

Both women have indeed lost loved ones and are reserved. What you note as the difference, though, is a very big one. Caitlin, despite her protests, is a very warm person. She cares and acts on that concern. It is her scientific way of looking at a problem that keeps her relevant to the STAR Labs team. Laurel, after her losses, turned inward and kept people away. Only a very particular number were allowed around her--Joanna, Det. Lance, and Tommy Merlyn, with the occasional client. While looking out for the average Joe client was big, after the earthquake, Laurel transitioned to the DA's office ( because there was no other defense attorneys with a shingle out in Starling City? Anyhoo...)

Caitlin is relatively happy with her job, what she is actively working on, and who she is. Laurel seems to be struggling with all three areas on her show. 

Both do have seemingly very small supportive circles. Caitlin has Barry, Cisco, Wells. After drinks and darts the other week, maybe Iris, Joe and Eddie. Laurel has her father, Oliver and her new trainer. Team Arrow works with her, but on the whole, they read more as putting up with her because she's Oliver's friend and ex and a respected co-worker's sister.

This is not meant to harsh on Laurel or KC, but to contrast Caitlin to Laurel. Caitlin is a lighter character, imo ,even with her personal loss and professional reputation mostly shredded.

Tangerine, I also agree that Caitlin and Barry are great as friends right now. If TPTB want to have Caitlin and Barry think about being more than friends, it needs to be seasons from now.

• Love 1

I continue to really love this character.    I agree with what was just said upthread, though Caitlin is reserved I think she can be incredibly warm once she does care about someone.   She was very reserved with Barry in the beginning but after all they've been through I liked that she tried to give him genuine advice about Iris/Eddie.   Whatever happens between Eddie/Iris he DOES NOT want to be the cause of it.    I think the only interest she had in Barry in the beginning, was the science of it all but she's been slowly coming out of her shell.   I felt really bad when he threw "Ronnie" in her face.    But I like that she left the room before she would let him or Felicity see how much that comment hurt.   Other than Cisco and Dr. Wells, Barry is the only person she's let in so that had to hurt.

Though dare I hope, tonight was the beginning of a very nice friendship between Caitlin and Felicity?  I liked that when they started talking colors it wasn't in reference to dresses or hair or anything stereotypical, it was in reference to a scientific theory.

And I liked that at the end of the episode we saw that Caitlin is still deeply hurt over Ronnie, she's going through her day to day and incredible things are happening around her but she hasn't forgotten what she's lost on the road.   I think that part is very real and human.

And her screaming and running from Cisco and Felicity's experiment with the boomerang made me CRACK UP.

• Love 1

I am looking forward to what happens with Caitlin and Ronnie - I thought they had real chemistry.

Me too. Caitlin is so cute and sweet and sensitive (though she tries to hide it) I just love the character so much.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I am looking forward to what happens with Caitlin and Ronnie - I thought they had real chemistry.

Same. Im definitely excited to see more of them soon. 

Both do have seemingly very small supportive circles. Caitlin has Barry, Cisco, Wells. After drinks and darts the other week, maybe Iris, Joe and Eddie. Laurel has her father, Oliver and her new trainer. Team Arrow works with her, but on the whole, they read more as putting up with her because she's Oliver's friend and ex and a respected co-worker's sister.

This is not meant to harsh on Laurel or KC, but to contrast Caitlin to Laurel. Caitlin is a lighter character, imo ,even with her personal loss and professional reputation mostly shredded.

In terms of personality I do think Laurel is the close analogue to Caitlin. True Laurel seems darker, fairly she has experienced far more hell than Caitlin, at least from whats been revealed so far. It seem to be generally gloomier in Arrow, Laurel may not be the most easy going of people but its not like Team Arrow has made much of an effort to be friendly to her. In contrast we have Team Flash hanging out with iris and Eddie, being friendly, despite the two being kind of like outsiders. Barry/Caitlin/Cisco also seem to have grown into friends quickly and hang out outside of work more. 

Edited by Fire Spirit
  • Like 1

So true, and as a siderant, I really wish shows would do something to acknowledge that sort of thing in show - tell us Caitlin was some sort of young genius who started college at the age of 14 or something and started doing her PhD or MD at 17. That's also pretty unrealistic, but it does occasionally happen, and in this case, would even help explain exactly how she caught Harrison's eye. It's a superhero show; I can handle the occasional early-PhD genius.

Agreed.

For anyone who's interested in the more realistic trajectory of PhD or MD degrees - I am 27, the same age as the actress who plays Caitlin. I finished a PhD in the hard sciences earlier this year, which in my case took 5 years of full-time effort. Usually in the US, for hard science/life science/engineering, PhD programs take 5-7 years (unlike our European counterparts who finish in ~3 years due to different standards). Some students start PhD programs at 21-23 years of age, right out of college. Others start after having completed master's degrees at the same or a different institution. Following the PhD, the majority of people go on to postdoctoral positions ("postdocs") lasting 2-5 years, where they (usually) switch institutions and research labs and practice being a more independent scientist. This sets them up for a career in academia or industry (biotech, startup, pharma, etc). However, the job market for PhDs is actually quite saturated, and often PhDs will do more than 1 postdoc before finding a "real job." So assuming Caitlin is intended to be a PhD, unless she was a prodigy and finished her PhD at a much younger than normal age as quarks suggested, she would realistically be in her early 30s (assuming a ~5 year PhD and a ~2-3 year postdoc prior to joining on with Wells).

If Caitlin is intended to be an MD, again she would have to be in her early 30s realistically-speaking (unless she started a lot earlier than most). Medical school is 4 years, and the age of students when they start does vary quite a bit. Some students start at 21-23 right out of college. Some students start in their mid- to late-20s after getting another degree, doing research, or working in a health-related field for several years. At the end of medical school, you get "MD" after your name, but you can't actually practice medicine independently until you complete a residency (another 4 years, sometimes longer if you do a fellowship or a research residency) and finish all your licensing criteria. The youngest practicing doctors I know are in their early 30s.

Dunno if anyone knows this, but Danielle mentioned in interviews that Caitlin Snow graduated medical school at the age of twenty. THat means she's actually a child prodigy. No wonder Wells snapped her up.

Edited by unicornships
  • Love 1

That's an awesome poster. I actually hope that happens on the show. She doesn't have to be completely evil, they can help her and she can take the name, Frost. 

Maybe "Chiller Frost"? Not ideal, but it rhymes more with the comics name.

I would say Caitlin and Laurel have very little in common in terms of personality.

One of them has been demonstrated to be very good at her job, a driven genius, to be able to kick back and relax, to show genuine friendship and empathy for a wide range of people rather than using them as a means to an end, to have a sense of humor, to handle tragedy without going into a spiral of addiction, violence or self-destruction, to not rely on her connections to get her out of trouble, to not throw her authority around, to not lie to her family about such things as whether a loved one has died and to generally be rational and logical.

The other is Laurel.

• Love 5

I liked that Caitlin told Cisco right away that Ronnie was still alive and asked for his help. And he in turn was only a little skeptical then went right to helping her find him. That's what friends do, scratch that. That's what nice people do for each other.

• Love 5

I think the "problem" with Caitlin is that she has the most "boring" role -- even though I don't think she's boring. She not the one with superpowers; she's not the shady mastermind; she's not the comic relief/fan surrogate; she's not the love interest; she's not the hero's mentor, or rival. She's there to explain science-y stuff, round out the STAR Labs crew, and, from her comics background, set up future storylines/characters.

I think she pretty interesting now, but she's bound to be even interesting in the future.

• Love 4

My only problem with Caitlin is that they still haven't figured out how she's going to be written. She vacillates between being the serious counterpoint to Cisco and the out of tough "girl" in a boy's lab with a touch of Felicity thrown in for good measure.  I suspect she'll be fine once they figure out how they want to go with her.  I'm also interested in seeing how big this love triangle is going to be, so far it's a pentagon ( Barry-iris-Eddie-Caitlin-Ronnie). Hell, I even suspect that Dr. Wells has a creepy thing for her.

editing because I've apparently been marathoning way too hard.

Edited by Oscirus

Did you mean Barry, rather than Oliver?

Really, I think the idea that Caitlin's still something of a cipher (which I agree with) goes back to the fact that she's had no storyline or even leitmotif of her own other than that her fiancé died in the explosion.  At least with FitzSimmons on AoS they were able to use the relationship the two of them had to add depth to the characters, but Caitlin isn't that close with Cisco, so all we've gotten have been a few odd tidbits like the bullying stories and the setup for Robbie.  I think, though, that that's going to change now that she's moved from mourning Robbie's death to mourning losing him in a very different way.

I like how lovely and and sweet her character is right now what with the Killer Frost tease. After the mid season final, I'm starting to see her potential as a character independent from the pack.

Danielle Panabaker is 27, but she looks younger than that and I think the character is younger than that.

Not at all. Most twenty-somethings look a lot younger than she does (and I say this as someone within the age bracket). I'm actually surprised to learned the actress is only 27, I would've pegged her for 33. The character looks late 20s minimal. She just acts cutesy and young, which is common enough for her age group.

• Like 1

I had the character pegged as about the same age as Cisco and Barry. Maybe a few years older but not past 30, especially since Ronnie looks a little younger than her. We're just supposed to believe all the scientists are on incredibly quick tracks through their Phds, right? Isn't that the rule of TV?

I had the character pegged as about the same age as Cisco and Barry. Maybe a few years older but not past 30, especially since Ronnie looks a little younger than her.

Barry is 25, and Cisco looks around the same age. I'd put the character at 28ish, which is reasonable age given that she was engaged 9 months ago. I don't think that's too crazy for a young scientists who must be especially gifted given the prestigious job she has snagged. 

Edited by driedfruit

Didn't they say something about Caitlin graduating college at 20? She started Med School right after that, so she could be around 25/26.  However I do think she's slightly older than Barry and Cisco, I'd agree with putting her around 28. 

As for her comic counterpart. I could see her trying to find a cure for Ronnie by trying to lower his temperature or find a way to put out the fire, she works with chemicals that freeze cells or something, an accident happens and she becomes Killer Frost. 

• Love 2

Didn't they say something about Caitlin graduating college at 20? She started Med School right after that, so she could be around 25/26. However I do think she's slightly older than Barry and Cisco, I'd agree with putting her around 28.

As for her comic counterpart. I could see her trying to find a cure for Ronnie by trying to lower his temperature or find a way to put out the fire, she works with chemicals that freeze cells or something, an accident happens and she becomes Killer Frost.

Which could work perfectly with Cisco's already established cold technology, thus sending him on the mission to cure her. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

I've tried with Caitlin but the writing is pretty bad and Danielle is just not believable in this role. Between the cutesy little girl voice and the wooden expressions I'm not feeling her at all.

• Love 3

Hell, I even suspect that Dr. Wells has a creepy thing for her.

Oh thank god it isn't just me!!!!! He's less obvious than Barry about it but he seems to care about her like a lot. Initially I did wonder some of the problems some of us watching have with Caitlyn as a character it the part was initially set up as being *older on paper*, so that we could have two triangles set up on the show with Caitlyn/Felicity-Barry-Iris: being one

and Wells-Caitlyn-Ronnie being the other with there obviously being some cross over. (or as stated above a love pentagon)

But maybe she tested better with Grant? IDK.  (so they kept it one-sided to Wells that much more creepy?)

Because she was set up as the mother of the group- with Wells being the shady father: And I though Danielle really shone last night with Ronnie, she shone when she was playing off RA ...which maybe is the point that she's herself much more with Ronnie, but I feel like that's because she's much more used to playing IDK a love interest? Because when she's playing off anyone other than Ronnie, even in the flashbacks Scientist Caitlyn comes off as forced and fake and when she's dressing up for work she looks like she "dressing up"

Or maybe I'm selling Danielle short. But I just compare her to Elizabeth Henstridge who plays a similar character on AoS and I marvel how much more relatable she is on there.

And I've gone off topic about 10 times but yeah...my thoughts so far

I was watching some clips of DP from GA and some other show just to see if some of the irritation I have with her as Caitlin were there. Some were - the jerky speech and awkward speech when talking about science - but some weren't. There was only one scene of hers I found good - when she was kinda playing a sort of bad girl - meaning she was being defiant (some show where she was a scientist about to go to prison?)...

She was good at defiance, but she still had the awkward and hard to swallow mannerisms when talking about science, like she was reading from cue cards. I get that from her on Flash all the time. The guy who plays Cisco does NOT have the same issue. Neither does EBR.

I don't see the Wells thing at all. I just think he looks to her as a mentee and she looks to him as a mentor. I DO think she's playing dress up though - she comes off as too young to be playing Caitlin so much older.

• Like 1
Oh thank god it isn't just me!!!!! He's less obvious than Barry about it but he seems to care about her like a lot.

Really? No, just no. I watch Wells' scenes a bit more attentively that others (he's my favorite character, after all) and I didn't get this vibe at all.

Although were she 10 years older, I could see myself crack-shipping it for the lulz (and because I, again, love Wells).

• LOL 1

I could totally see a crack version of this show with Caitlin and wells having a creepy romantic relationship and maybe doing sketchy things together. But I can't see it on this show or with this actress. I would totally buy it from wells though.

• Like 1

Really? No, just no. I watch Wells' scenes a bit more attentively that others (he's my favorite character, after all) and I didn't get this vibe at all.

Although were she 10 years older, I could see myself crack-shipping it for the lulz (and because I, again, love Wells).

I admit I've been influenced by fic on Ao3. But like I said there have been camera angles and interplay between them, that if the actress was older in screen could lead to people shipping them, but I dunno maybe they changed it to Wells having something for her but it being unrequited? But Danielle looks so young and her dialogue is so old that it's a disconnect

(I love Wells too)

Edited by Cirien

Wow you guys - I must be blind... do you guys have some example scenes where this Wells/Caitlin dynamic you're speaking of happens? Now I wanna go back and take a look.

But I probably won't see it - everyone else saw some Wells/Pied Piper stuff and all I saw was mentor/mentee...

• Love 1
But I probably won't see it - everyone else saw some Wells/Pied Piper stuff and all I saw was mentor/mentee...

Me too. But then, there are people who see subtext between any characters who have a somewhat intense dynamic. It's getting tiresome, especially with female/female friendships (my personal pet peeve), which are turned into femslash 99% of the time.

• Love 3

I'm all for relationships between genders, but yeah, it does get tiresome that almost every female friendship gets turned into femslash. I've only really done that with Myka/HG from Warehouse 13, however the actresses admitted they were playing their characters a little in love with each other. 

I'd rather have the women be friends over them being in a relationship. Mostly I'm just not a big fan of shipping, it kind of ruins the show and makes the Ship the most important part. I used to be a bigger shipper so I know the kind of obsession that comes along with it. That's why I stopped. I want to enjoy the show and all it's characters as individuals. 

I think Caitlin and Iris need to have friends outside or maybe start slowly talking to each other more. They had the same problem with Felicity, she had no other friends besides Diggle and Oliver. What did she do before meeting them? Nothing? Come on. We don't need to seem them all time, a short phone call, a remark that they had to cancel plans with friends would work for me. I just don't want their entire lives revolving around the men in their life. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

At least felicity I think was played as kind of a loner, spin think it felt in character. Caitlin is friends with the people she works with (or what is left of them) who seem to be mostly men. In that industry, I kind of get that. It doesn't bother me that she doesn't have a lot of girlfriends because again, fits the character. I do wonder about family. Where is Caitlin from?

Iris's BFF is Barry, but she should have girlfriends at work which may have been referenced or at school.

• Like 1
Caitlin is friends with the people she works with (or what is left of them) who seem to be mostly men. In that industry, I kind of get that. It doesn't bother me that she doesn't have a lot of girlfriends because again, fits the character.

Caitlin's educational background wouldn't have been male dominated so I'd think she should have a lot of girlfriends from before she got her Star Labs job. Unless she moved, but there's been no mention of that. 

Edited by driedfruit

I'm all for relationships between genders, but yeah, it does get tiresome that almost every female friendship gets turned into femslash. I've only really done that with Myka/HG from Warehouse 13, however the actresses admitted they were playing their characters a little in love with each other. 

I'd rather have the women be friends over them being in a relationship. Mostly I'm just not a big fan of shipping, it kind of ruins the show and makes the Ship the most important part. I used to be a bigger shipper so I know the kind of obsession that comes along with it. That's why I stopped. I want to enjoy the show and all it's characters as individuals. 

I think Caitlin and Iris need to have friends outside or maybe start slowly talking to each other more. They had the same problem with Felicity, she had no other friends besides Diggle and Oliver. What did she do before meeting them? Nothing? Come on. We don't need to seem them all time, a short phone call, a remark that they had to cancel plans with friends would work for me. I just don't want their entire lives revolving around the men in their life.

I would love to see Iris and Caitlin become actual friends - the scene where Caitlin came to ask about Ronnie/Firestorm to Iris was a really nice scene... I love the dynamic between Iris and Felicity and would like to see that kind of easiness with Caitlin and Iris... and I was really really hoping for a Linda/Iris friendship because it's the friendship is one way for us to see the PoV of the female characters. When they put the women in scenes with men, we never really hear their PoV, it's the men barking at them for the most part, or it's the females acting as emotional receptacles for the men and not really the other way around...

As for the shipping, I actually agree with a ton of what you said, but I'm gonna take that over to the relationship thread...

• Love 1

I had forgotten that Danielle played a "fire-breathing dragon" wesen on Grimm in the first season! I was looking through IMDB for stuff and saw the picture for the episode and realized that she was familiar. The character was genuinely creepy and unsettling, but doing something understandable for a parent.

Due to The Flash, she may not ever return, but having Caitlin go through something that takes away whatever polish/manners/discipline that keeps her "nice" could be a fun ride. She doesn't even have to be KF to do so; it could be a foreshadowing of her potential to be KF.

I was grumpy about Clarissa, aka Mrs. Stein, getting a short shrift on the romance, but I did enjoy Caitlin enjoying time with Ronnie. I also enjoyed her understanding about Ronnie and Martin having to leave.  DP showed wistful well.

I also liked that she told Cisco that she wasn't devastated this time. It showed, in-show, that knowing the truth about your loved ones leads to a kind of peace, if not serenity with what has gone on with that loved one, Joe and Barry and Eddie. (Eddie is lying about metas Because Joe Said, in case anyone forgot.) So it's good that two couples are on the same page on this show! Yay!

Caitlin has had the second best evolution on the show.  The writers really seem to enjoy writing for her.

What evolution has she had? She's pretty much acted the same all season and that episode where she got drunk and was showing the goodies was several steps back.

• Like 1

It's not about her evolution as much as the lack of evolution for every other character. After building her life back up, she went from grieving widow to a single girl ready to accept that her fiancée's gone.

It's not about her evolution as much as the lack of evolution for every other character. After building her life back up, she went from grieving widow to a single girl ready to accept that her fiancée's gone.

Except it was done really poorly. Caitlin was going and being drunk and telling Barry that he deserved a peek when she knew Ronnie was still out there - I was really surprised that she just gave up on him so fast - it felt like a contrived way to eventually shove her in Barry's direction, which is what it feels like they're doing.

Honestly I felt like Ronnie got more of a character development than Caitlin did.

Just terrible writing - all to shove her at Barry - I'm certain that's what they're doing...

It just wasn't believable. If that had been my dead fiancé (they showed Caitlin at times sitting in the lab alone looking at Ronnie's picture) I wouldn't have given up on him so quickly - it was just really forced how that happened.

And people talk about how fast Iris got into reporting? That took a while at least - with at least SOME buildup - Caitlin jumped from widow to Ronnie to single in 3 episodes and looks happy about it. That's nuts and completely and utterly unbelievable.

• Love 2

Let's be fair: at the time that Caitlin got drunk and -- let's be honest -- hit on Barry, she thought that Ronnie was dead. She knew "Burning Man"/Firestorm was around, but she thought of him as Martin Stein in Ronnie's body. Real Ronnie would not have told her to stay away from him. 

I probably would not be interested in what I perceived to be the reanimated body of someone I loved that was controlled by a stranger. Especially if that body was vacillating between acting like a homeless person and a psycho. I don't expect the average person would either. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 7

Let's be fair: at the time that Caitlin got drunk and -- let's be honest -- hit on Barry, she thought that Ronnie was dead. She knew "Burning Man"/Firestorm was around, but she thought of him as Martin Stein in Ronnie's body. Real Ronnie would not have told her to stay away from him. 

I probably would not be interested in what I perceived to be the reanimated body of someone I loved that was controlled by a stranger. Especially if that body was vacillating between acting like a homeless person and a psycho. I don't expect the average person would either.

I think what bothered me was that she didn't really know this for sure - she made a ton of assumptions based on what she heard from others - if that was MY fiancé, I would have investigated until I knew for sure and I'd exhausted EVERY scientific avenue to get him back.

I just don't buy the "she thought he was dead" reasoning. At all. In fact, unless that was really an OOC moment for Caitlin, that's utterly trifling on her part.

• Love 1

Caitlin spent about a year grieving, found out her fiancée was alive, tried to talk to him, realized that he was gone or at least driven mad by meta-human powers and then decided to let him go after some urging from Cisco and Barry. Yes, that storyline was more about getting Barry to start dating but it did establish a natural progression for Caitlin. By the time she finally gets him back, she's in a different place hence the new mindset.

• Love 2

Caitlin spent about a year grieving, found out her fiancée was alive, tried to talk to him, realized that he was gone or at least driven mad by meta-human powers and then decided to let him go after some urging from Cisco and Barry. Yes, that storyline was more about getting Barry to start dating but it did establish a natural progression for Caitlin. By the time she finally gets him back, she's in a different place hence the new mindset.

If they had shown Caitlin trying to really find out what happened to Ronnie after she first heard what happened, then I could agree with you. But after she found out (from hearsay) that he merged with Stein, she simply gave up and went on a drunken spree. She didn't go to Wells and ask that they work together to try to figure out how to save him. She didn't do ANYTHING but get drunk and make goo-goo eyes at Barry.

Additionally, it was Caitlin who was trying to get Barry to move on from Iris (and she equated her situation with Ronnie with his and Iris') - SHE had to convince HIM to let go - she'd done it pretty much without any interference from anyone else.

I found it jarring and it made it look like the writers weren't committing to the "great love" she supposedly had... instead, they wanted to drop in some shipper bait.

Caitlin, as a character, was sacrificed a bit for shipper bait - because that episode came out of left field. In a previous episode, Caitlin was sitting at a monitor staring at Ronnie's image. Then one episode after she finds out he's merged with Stein, she's ready to drop him?

LOL. And people say Iris' reporting story just popped into existence with no build-up. This was even worse or a much more serious issue, but somehow - with Caitlin, it's fine. Okay.

• Love 3
Caitlin, as a character, was sacrificed a bit for shipper bait

I'm used to it as it's common on CW, but I'd hoped Flash could get around these plot points with a little more creativity. I guess not.  

Caitlin gets some of the most inconsistent writing on this show, especially so in this half. Perhaps something gets lost in translation between the writing and Danielle's delivery? I wonder how her character would go in the hands of someone a little stronger, like Crystal Reed. 

I don't know. I keep wondering what the writers are thinking with her. DP is a stiff actress, imo, but the writers aren't doing her any favors either - one minute we're supposed to buy that she's "cold". The next, she's "maternal", but bossy. The next, she's trying to act just like Felicity. The only part of her story I found believable was her story with Ronnie - UNTIL they threw her into the shipper bait machine and suddenly even THAT was taken away from me.

I think - like we've said in other forums - that Caitlin suffers from the same malaise that Team Flash does - it's got too many influences coming from Arrow. On Arrow, Team Arrow was an organic thing - it wasn't forced. Barry stepped into a ready-made Team Flash.

Honestly, out of all of Team Flash, Caitlin is the one character that seems to be the most confused in terms of the writing. Cisco? Makes sense and has a pretty consistent characterization. Wells? Very consistent characterization.

Caitlin? Jerky characterization. And DP's portrayal doesn't help matters. I still remember that scene with the boomerang on the loose that Cisco lost hold of. DP's running through the shop with her hands flying was just bad. Not even comically bad. Just bad.

• Love 4