Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 12:07 PM, Trini said:

and The Flash's adoptive father Joe West (Jesse L. Martin)

And the marketing department continues the incestuous implication by referring to Joe as Barry's "adoptive father."  Five seasons in and we're still dealing with a PR dept so stupid that it doesn't recognize that, if Joe legally adopted Barry,  that means Iris would be Barry's legal sister and their marriage wouldn't be allowed. Le sigh.......AJK's legacy writing continues to irritate.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 3

You can now vote in the Second Round of the 2019 Primetimer Awards - voting in this round ends on June 21 (then winners/runoff vote will be announced on June 24)

Category: That Guy Used to Suck: Favourite Character Redemption Arc
Nominee: Ralph Dibney

Other Arrowverse Nominees:

• Useful 1

Teen Choice Awards nominations for The Flash:

Action TV Show, Action TV Actor (Grant Gustin), Action TV Actress (Candice Patton, and Danielle Panabaker), TV Villain (Sarah Carter).

They always manage to get Danielle P.'s name in there; this would have been a good year to try and get Jessica P. Kennedy a nomination since she was a big part of the season.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Trini said:

They always manage to get Danielle P.'s name in there; this would have been a good year to try and get Jessica P. Kennedy a nomination since she was a big part of the season.

I wouldn't have liked Jessica being nominated in this category either. When they brought back the category in 2017, they always nominate DP along with Candice. When you look at the other nominees, it's obvious those people are the female leads on the respective show. We never see Tom, Carlos, or Jesse nomninated along with Grant. Yet, Candice has to be nominated along with DP. I don't get why the CW does this. In my opinion, this just feeds the people who keep claiming DP is female lead as well.

6 hours ago, Trini said:

Funko will have another Pop! for Cisco for San Diego Comic Con:

41155_FlashTV_Cisco_Ramon_POP_GLAM_large

Great another Cisco one. This time he's just Cisco, not vibe.

What does Funko have against making one for Iris? People have been asking for years.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Trini said:

Where's the eye-rolling reaction when you need it? What on earth did DP do this season that was noteworthy?

(edited)

The CW version of Iris West is mentioned in this article about a recently published book: 'From 'Harry Potter' to 'Hunger Games,' here's why fantasy struggles to include black girls'

Perhaps partially as a result of greater visibility, we've begun to see more black women in fantastic narratives. "Black Panther’s” Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o), Okoye (Danai Gurira), and Shuri (Letitia Wright) are perhaps the most high-profile examples. But Thomas also points to Iris West (Candice Patton) on The CW show "The Flash," "She is subverting a lot of the usual black girl-in-a-teen-television-show tropes because she is the central character," Thomas says.

Examples like this make Thomas think that pop culture may be finally broadening its collective imagination enough to include black girls. That in turn may open a door to broader progress as well. You can't change society, after all, without first dreaming about how you want to change it.

(Obviously, Iris isn't "the" central character; it seems like that is a mis-quote or typo.) I don't know how much Iris/Patton is talked about in the book; the author goes in-depth about four specific black female characters from other fantasy stories.

Edited by Trini
21 hours ago, Trini said:

^

All three have had to cancel their appearance in New Jersey this weekend. I'm guessing pre-production/production schedules changed.

They might have also heard about FanFest being close to bankrupcy and not paying their talent. Stephen Amell parted ways with them this year also. 

So the good news is that Iris finally gets to be on the cover of TV Guide's Comic Con special issue...

... The bad news is that she's with everyone else:

powerhouse-wb-women-tvgm-2019-cover-hr-1

(I truly don't understand how these get worse every year.)

From Supergirl and Batwoman to Thunder, Lightning, White Canary, Josie McCoy, Starfire, Veronica Mars and beyond, Warner Bros. Television Group and TV Guide Magazine (TVGM) are celebrating more than 100 incredible women who star in the Studio’s Comic-Con–related series on a special “Powerhouse” cover of the magazine’s annual Warner Bros.–themed SDCC special issue. ...

Fans can drop by the DC Warner Bros. booth (#4545 on the convention floor) to pick up their free copy of the TV Guide Magazine special issue during Comic-Con, beginning on Preview Night, Wednesday, July 17, and continuing through Sunday, July 21.

All four covers will be on sale at newsstand mainline from July 16–October 14, 2019. The special issue can also be purchased online via TVGuideMagazine.com/comiccon, BN.com and/or Amazon.com, and will be available digitally on Barnes & Noble’s NOOK, Amazon’s Kindle Fire, Zinio, Google and Magzter.

Included in this issue are:

...  a special feature on the DC/Warner Bros. Television USO Tour in Kuwait

In addition to previews of the The Flash, etc., there will be an article about the USO tour that Candice and Danielle P. participated in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Trini said:

So the good news is that Iris finally gets to be on the cover of TV Guide's Comic Con special issue...

... The bad news is that she's with everyone else:

powerhouse-wb-women-tvgm-2019-cover-hr-1

(I truly don't understand how these get worse every year.)

In addition to previews of the The Flash, etc., there will be an article about the USO tour that Candice and Danielle P. participated in.

Did they use a still of Cecile from 4x10?

Some of these wouldn't be so small on this cover if they didn't make Kara so huge.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Did they use a still of Cecile from 4x10?

Some of these wouldn't be so small on this cover if they didn't make Kara so huge.

Why is DP seeminlgy in front of Candice? They are not on the same level.

According to TheDCTVshow, The following Flash cast confirmed for Comic Con so far: Grant, Candice, Carlos Valdes, Danielle Panabaker, Hartley Sawyer, and Eric Wallace.

30 minutes ago, Trini said:

Candice says that about Iris and journalism every season -- come through, Eric!

It's sad that Candice has to still ask for this. Everybody knows journalism is a key part of Iris character in the comics.

Andrew- let's be real here, did this man REALLY care about Iris journalism?

Todd- he tried to change things a little bit, but it wasn't enough

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

It's sad that Candice has to still ask for this. Everybody knows journalism is a key part of Iris character in the comics.

Andrew- let's be real here, did this man REALLY care about Iris journalism?

Todd- he tried to change things a little bit, but it wasn't enough

14 hours ago, Trini said:

Candice says that about Iris and journalism every season -- come through, Eric!

Fingers crossed that Iris' journalism gets more airtime this season.

ETA: I liked how Candice said that she didn't know why they asked her to be involved in the cancer campaign, but she was glad to be there. She has a fan.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, SimoneS said:

According to TheDCTVshow, The following Flash cast confirmed for Comic Con so far: Grant, Candice, Carlos Valdes, Danielle Panabaker, Hartley Sawyer, and Eric Wallace.

Is that the channel run by that kid Ben? Where’s he getting this information from? Just wondering!

2 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

Is that the channel run by that kid Ben? Where’s he getting this information from? Just wondering!

Yep. Ben will be attending Comic Con in San Diego as a media person so I think that is how he got this info. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Color me shocked; only took 5 years!

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_puilteR4Tb1vfb8xs.mp4

ETA: Wondering how the SB fans will twist this to mean that Grant was coerced into saying Iris is Barry's endgame or he didn't mean what he meant.

His Instagram had some interesting comments that prompted the video: https://dailycandicekpatton.tumblr.com/post/186228586992/she-is-black-she-is-beautiful-and-she-is-our

Edited by adora721
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, adora721 said:

Color me shocked; only took 5 years!

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_puilteR4Tb1vfb8xs.mp4

ETA: Wondering how the SB fans will twist this to mean that Grant was coerced into saying Iris is Barry's endgame or he didn't mean what he meant.

His Instagram had some interesting comments that prompted the video: https://dailycandicekpatton.tumblr.com/post/186228586992/she-is-black-she-is-beautiful-and-she-is-our

Finally, Grant standing up and publicly supporting Candice. I can't give him any props because it should not have taken him five years to do the obvious right thing that Minka Kelly immediately knew to do in vocally supporting Anna Diop.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Candice will be apart of the Fan Favorite panel along with Caity Lotz at Comic Con

Candice and Grant are nominated again for Saturn Awards

That is some elite company Ms. Patton is keeping in the Best Actress category. So thrilled for her!

• Love 1
On 7/11/2019 at 11:29 PM, SimoneS said:

Yep. Ben will be attending Comic Con in San Diego as a media person so I think that is how he got this info. 

I hope Jesse will be there as well, but I’d be thrilled for Dani and Tom to miss it. The interviews are difficult to manage sometimes because too many people are in the interviews at the same time. The cast is still too large imo.

I like the new suit from what I've seen so far!

---

Flash parts from the EW article:

Also not planned: Arrow spawning an entire shared universe. “We went on record a lot of times during the premiere of the pilot saying, ‘No superpowers, no time travel.’ But midway through season 1, Greg started to harbor a notion of doing the Flash,” says Guggenheim. “I’m a very big believer that it’s great to have a plan, but I think when it comes to creating a universe, the pitfall is that people try to run before they can walk. The key is, you build it show by show.” And so they did. First, they introduced The Flash star Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen in the two-part midseason finale of Arrow’s second season.

His sentiments are seconded by Flash’s Gustin: “I don’t understand how [Stephen Amell] does it — his schedule that he maintains with working out, the conventions he goes to, the passion he has for it, and the love he shows towards fans. He’s always prepared. He cares more about that show being high quality than anybody else on the set.”

• Love 2