Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

And another with EW:

How did you handle having to direct yourself in the episode?

That actually was a challenge, for sure. I only really had one day’s worth of work as an actor in the episode, [but] it was a challenge for a couple of different reasons. The first being that was actually my first day directing. One piece of advice a lot of directors gave me was “Make your first day easy.” Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, that wasn’t a possibility, so my first day was a challenge because I had to act and direct. The writer Kelly Wheeler was up with me in Vancouver, and I entrusted her to keep watching playback. It’s also a big cortex scene, so we’re operating three cameras on every take, so there was no way for me to sit and watch the monitors. I didn’t want to waste time watching playback, so I had to trust what I was seeing while in the scene and also trust those behind the monitors that we were getting what we needed.

Whenever actors direct an episode of their show, they usually prepare by shadowing other directors. Which directors did you observe?

I shadowed a lot. I think I made our line producer a little crazy because I just kept showing up in production meetings. I just wanted to listen and observe as much as I could. In season 4, I formally shadowed Tom Cavanagh, which is a really unique experience, as well as David McWhirther when he directed our finale. As you know, the finale is one of the biggest episodes that we do in a Flash season, so I learned a lot from both of them. I also took the opportunity to grab drinks, grab coffee, or reach out to anyone who had directed on the show and ask for advice.

8 hours ago, phoenics said:

She stays not mentioning CP.  Every chance she gets she leaves her out.

Candice didn't leave her out when she advocated for female Funko dolls. DP can erase Candice and her character while live tweeting the show and giving props to the cast and the fandom stays silent. Candice doesn't clap at Comic Con and it's turned into this huge thing with fans labeling her rude and unprofessional. I am sick.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Trini said:

I knew these interviews would talk about her directing, but I still wanted more. There's no hyping for this episode. It's coming back from a long break. A break which will definitely hurt it. The promos didn't show godspeed at all.

The promotion has become terrible for this show

DC interview with Danielle P.:

What’s some of the fallout between Nora and her parents?

It’s sort of the biggest betrayal that Barry could ever fathom that his own daughter would be working with the Reverse-Flash, the man who killed his mother in front of him when he was a child. He feels a lot of betrayal from that. It’s a struggle for him. I think his hurt is a little bit different than Iris’s, and she doesn’t quite understand immediately. So, they’re going to have some struggles both as a couple and as parents on how to deal with this.

The episode is called “Godspeed,” which is the name of a Flash villain from the comics. Is that a coincidence, or will we be seeing him in the episode?

I’m so excited that we will in fact see Godspeed in this episode. I think it’s cool that it’s pretty much the only time we’ve had a speedster villain this season. Obviously, aside from Reverse- Flash, but he hasn’t been doing a lot of running. I actually reached out to DC to get comic books to understand more about Godspeed and to see his powers and how they look. Just to get as much information as possible.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Rick! Where are they?

In LA I believe

Tom didn't get this much press when he first directed. Not even the 100th episode got this much press. It's still terrible promotion for an episode that's airing after a month long break. All these interviews released the DAY of? Come on now

Edited by BeautifulFlower
  • Love 1

Danielle Panabaker interview at The Mary Sue:

MS: Did you coordinate, with the writers, for this episode to be lighter for Caitlin?

Panabaker: I did not coordinate with the writers, but I think it was certainly something they considered. Episode 17 I was quite light in because I was prepping episode 18. For Team Flash, [Episode 18] is a lighter episode for them because it’s Nora’s origin story.”

TMS: What was it like working with Jessica Parker-Kennedy on such a big episode for her?

Panabaker: She’s unbelievable. I feel so lucky that I got an episode that was so Jess-heavy. I was excited about it. It was a moment to really let her shine because it was effectively her pilot … She carries the story, and it’s her journey, and you get to see her feel an incredible array of emotions. And she gave me so much, and I’m so grateful and I hope she’s proud.

TMS: Do you hope to direct again next season or direct outside of The Flash?

Absolutely both. I definitely threw my name in the hat as soon they started considering directors for next season, and also, I would love to direct another show. Peter Roth at Warner Bros. has been incredibly supportive, and I’d love to keep working on his shows because he has such an incredible roster.

'Casting director David Rapaport takes us behind the scenes of 'Gossip Girl,' 'Arrow,' 'Riverdale,' and more'

When it came time to cast the next Flash, the direction was almost the opposite of Oliver Queen. The Flash shouldn’t look like a superhero, Rapaport was told. “We were looking for someone who was relatable, someone that was an Everyman who was bestowed with superpowers—someone a little bit goofy,” he says. Like Amell, Rapaport had cast Grant Gustin on 90210. He’d also seen him play bad-boy Sebastian on Glee. “But every time I met Grant, he seemed like this affable, dorky, charming, fun dude,” Rapaport says. “He was the first person I auditioned for the role. We read him opposite [Arrow’s] Emily Bett Rickards, and there was amazing chemistry there.”

There were four Flash cast members at FanFest Chicago, but I've found hardly any coverage. It doesn't seem like any new info was shared.

This account did some tweeting about the panel:

Edited by Trini

The Flash received two Leo Award nominations: http://www.leoawards.com/2019/

Best Visual Effects - Dramatic Series

Armen V. Kevorkian, Joshua Spivack, Marc Lougee, Shirak Agresta, Andranik Taranyan

The Flash - We Are The Flash

Best Guest Performance Male - Dramatic Series

Paul McGillion

The Flash - True Colors

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Trini said:

One of the writers announced she is moving on from the show:

Neira has been with the show since Season 3.

I hope this means Eric is adding a Black female writer. 

Edited by adora721
  • Useful 1

Jessica Parker Kennedy talks about her experience of working on The Flash on this youtube show (video podcast??):

JPK's interview starts at 1:10:20.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

The most interesting thing to me was that Grant seemingly confirms that the Crisis from the future headline was always planned to be a final season storyline for The Flash, but it was moved up for the next (2019) crossover.

Yes, that was interesting. I think that they can have another crisis with Thawne since there are multiple crises in the comics. He did say that he wants to know a year or two in advance when the show is to be cancelled so they can wrap it up properly. I think the show will easily make it to season eight, but after that it might become too expensive for the CW.

Interview with Helbing previewing of the finale at TVLine:

The finale will deliver “the full answer” about what Thawne has been up to, partly through a flashback but mostly from the man himself. “He talks for the most part — it’s a cool little scene,” Helbing previews. And though some of the sinister speedster’s exposition got cut for time (“The first version of the finale script is always like 70 pages,” the EP laughs), “You get all the information you need.”

https://tvline.com/2019/05/13/the-flash-season-5-finale-preview-easter-eggs-for-season-6/

And another with helbing at TV Guide:

"With Barry, he hates Thawne for what he did to his family, but if it comes to stopping Thawne or saving thousands of people, he's a good guy, so he's always going to choose the better of two evils... sort of put his own personal vendetta aside and save other people," showrunner Todd Helbing told TV Guide.

"We talked a lot about this when we were breaking the finale episode and the back half of the season," Helbing said of the various redemption arcs this season. "It felt like our characters, one way or the other, there's a lot of [consequences] for Barry, and for everybody else... I'll say this, there's probably more consequences one way or another than we've ever done on the show."

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-flash-season-5-finale-todd-helbing-crisis-clue/

And at EW (with some quotes from Candice Patton):

According to Candice Patton, who plays Iris West-Allen on The Flash, shooting the superhero drama’s season 5 finale was exhausting — “but the payoff will be worth it.”

Why is Patton so confident about the season ender? Because of Reverse Flash, a.k.a Eobard Thawne (Tom Cavanagh). “I though it was great having the Reverse Flash be part of our season this year. We kind of deal with that in a big way in the finale. I just knew this was something the fans would love,” says Patton. “It’s an emotional one for sure.”

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Family has been one of the season’s main themes. How does the finale bring that theme to a climax and wrap it up?

TODD HELBING: There have been a lot of bumps along the road, and we wanted to run Barry and Iris through a truncated, fast-forward version of parenthood. We wanted to run them through as many issues and problems and put as many hurdles in front of them as we could. So in the finale, they’ve gone through quite a bit and their bonds have never been tighter. With Barry and Iris as parents, it’s also [a question of] how do you help your child when you know they’ve made a lot of mistakes and get them to react in a positive way? Then you sort of see the repercussions of that. There’s a lot of themes that we hit in the finale, but family and legacy, and the trials and tribulations of what it’s like to be parents and a child in the heightened scenario.

Is that idea of “How do you help your child when they’ve made a mistake?” sort of like the final lesson about parenting that Barry and Iris will have to learn?

Clearly Nora is going to feel responsible for trusting Thawne. It’s been fun in our show, when you’re season 5 you have this massive library to draw from, and a lot of times in the season you’ve heard Barry give advice that he’s gotten himself in the past. We sort of do that one final time here, and it’s nice to see how Nora responds to the advice that she’s given.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/13/the-flash-season-5-finale-candice-patton-thawne-barry/

[This was written from a pre-finale perspective] Article at DC summarizing Barry & Iris' parenting journey this season: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/05/14/the-flash-parenting-on-the-run

Barry and Iris have never been a traditional couple, so it stands to reason their parenthood journey would be just as unique as their unusual courtship. How many people can claim their grown daughter attended their wedding ceremony? Okay, but how many can claim she attended it before she was even born? That’s what I thought.

The beginning of Barry and Iris’s marriage was rough, thanks to the Thinker framing Barry for murder. But then the two newlyweds became parents well before their first anniversary. While they got to skip all the dirty diapers and toddler tantrums, Barry and Iris were forced to take a crash course in parenting with even bigger challenges. How do you deal with a daughter that has superpowers? It’s hard enough to discipline your child, but the pressure is even greater when her actions can affect the entire timeline. This isn’t typical parenting stuff, and our favorite Central City couple had to learn fast.