Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

The Trickster is coming this spring... and he's played by Mark Hamill!

Thrilled about Mark Hamill returning as The Trickster.  I still remember the episodes he was on...they were the best of the original series (along with that time traveling one).  The Trickster also had a crazy fan/assistant named Prank in his second appearance.  Kind of a Harley Quinn character before Harley Quinn.

Returning to Star Wars and Flash, and making an appearance in Kingsmen The Secret Service...going to be a lot of Mark Hamill next year.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2022609/the-flash-the-cw-everything-it-gets-right/

MTV declared themselves team Snowbarry and sent the shippers into a frenzy. They compared Barry and Iris to the incestuous siblings on GoT.

I for one was glad to see them do that - MTV declaring themselves Snowbarry fans automatically marks their comments about Barry and Iris suspect. Especially since they are ignoring aspects of the show (Barry confession he crushed on Iris BEFORE he moved in with her and her dad) that disprove what they are saying.

Besides - when Linda Park comes onboard, I expect they'll abandon Snowbarry and jump on ParkBarry anyway. You can easily predict stuff like this.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 6

Does this mean that Madeleine Mantock, Aaron Yoo and Luke Mitchell will be showing up soon to ?

If someone had to show up from that show it should've been Madeleine. Peyton and Robbie are horrible

• Love 2

She wasn't bad on Smallville or Mad Men imo. Actually she was pretty good on Mad Men, a show filled with great acting talent.

She was the first variation of Kara, right?

I don't know if she did enough to be labeled as good.  She was kind of stilted and off but I always figured that was for the character.  Not sure how she would be in a normal character.   

She was Lucy Lane, Lois' sister.

It would have been nice if they cast someone

bi-racial to match Wentworth Miller.

Thanks for the correction! :)

Well, she was better than Kara.1.0, much more natural. She can pull off the grown up kid sister, no problem.

I liked Peyton as Jane on Mad Men.  But, Cara though.  She was the worst thing about The Tomorrow People, in my opinion.  Still, Robbie Amell isn't embarrassing himself yet on this show (granted, he's only been in two episodes), so maybe these guys will have a better handle on her strengths and weaknesses, then TTP folks did.

• Love 1

The Flash has made a bunch of Top New Show, and Top Comic Show lists.

The Best Comic Book Shows of 2014:

... Who would have thought that lightning could strike twice for The CW?  Then again, perhaps betting against the network that had such success with Arrow was a fool’s wager since it’s the same core team of DC fans that pen the plots of the Scarlet Speedster.  Even Grant Gustin exceeded my rather tempered expectations for taking on the title role, and his supporting cast is definitely one of the best on this list.

While I’m eager to continue watching Barry Allen figure out the difficulties of life and love (and lightspeed), I’m more and more impressed every week with the show’s visual effects and willingness to fold iconic heroes and villains into each episode in a meaningful way. ...

The year in comic book TV: Go small or go home? :

... And because [the Arrow] creative team (which includes longtime DC writer Geoff Johns) had a while to work out all the kinks, "The Flash" — more technically ambitious, and with a lighter and more optimistic tone than "Arrow" and the various Nolan/Snyder films — was able to (pardon the unavoidable pun) get up to speed almost instantly. These are two shows that don't require a PhD in superhero comics to follow — though there are plenty of Easter Eggs for the well-studied — but nor is there any of the embarrassed throat clearing whenever the source material gets too out-there. ...

‘The Flash’ Races Forward, While ‘Agents of SHIELD’ Spins Its Wheels :

... Most impressively, strictly from a logistical standpoint, “The Flash” has continued to provide a healthy dollop of superhero-style special effects throughout the season, without falling victim to the time crunch that has had a way of occasionally turning later episodes of such programs into an Ibsen play. As a consequence, the show has been able to advance its mythology and develop its characters without skimping on action or fun. ...

The Flash Midseason Report Card :

... Gustin makes it clear that he enjoys playing the character just as much as we enjoy watching him. Keep it up, Grant. ...

... If only Candice Patton’s Iris West and Rick Cosnett's Eddie Thawne joined in on some of the fun. The two remain fairly one dimensional, giving us nothing more than the words on their scripts ask for. ...

... Unfortunately, The Flash’s antagonists are the series’ achilles heel right now. Content to stick with the “monster of the week” routine, the series simply shuffles from one disgruntled metahuman to the next, never investing enough into the featured antagonist. ...

... The series’ greatest strength is its ability to be proud of the inherent wackiness of a guy who runs a mach one in a red jumpsuit. We love how much fun this show is having with itself.

And while the formulaic approach to weekly villains slows the series down from time to time, the The Flash’s deeper story arc has been extremely rewarding thus far. For that, we have to thank the series’ resident creep, Dr. Harrison Wells. ...

• Love 1

That last review needs to make up its mind. You can't say the supporting superhero cast is doing an admirable job when you single out half of them for being wooden.

Tv line awards, Flash won quite a few though wtf @ Joe being dad of the year.

http://tvline.com/2014/12/26/best-tv-couples-2014-death-scenes-spoilers-photos/

Cool Marvel DC trailer made by a fan.  Flash probably has one of the harder matchups there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KxIHVGch8I

• Love 1

That last review needs to make up its mind. You can't say the supporting superhero cast is doing an admirable job when you single out half of them for being wooden.

Tv line awards, Flash won quite a few though wtf @ Joe being dad of the year.

http://tvline.com/2014/12/26/best-tv-couples-2014-death-scenes-spoilers-photos/

Cool Marvel DC trailer made by a fan.  Flash probably has one of the harder matchups there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KxIHVGch8I

He's Dad of the year to Barry, that's for damn sure. Poor Iris.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

I'm not sure if it's in the particular articles Trini linked or not, but in one of the ones I read today it mentioned that The Flash has helped level The CW's audience from 70% female to 60%, which is a good thing since they're getting pressure from their affiliates to draw a more balanced demo.  My gut feeling is that that pressure will result in the show putting even less emphasis on relationship nuance in favor of superheroic procedural stuff.

• Love 1

The Variety article I linked mentioned it:

On a nightly basis, CW is up double digits in adults 18-49 and total viewers on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Perhaps the most important stat of the season to date is that the composition of the audience is starting to balance out among male and female viewers, shifting to 40% male compared to 30% four years ago.

“The Flash” has delivered a big injection of viewers this season, which helped the net capitalize on the building blocks established during the previous two seasons by the programming team led by Thom Sherman. “Arrow,” “Reign” and “The 100” were key additions to the sked. The long-running “Supernatural” remains a workhorse, as does “Vampire Diaries” and “The Originals.” The much-hyped “Arrow”-“Flash” crossover episodes that aired in early December gave a boost to both shows and spurred sampling of other skeins.

• Love 1

Sorry for the double post, but:

Look who's a cover boy! AdWeek article about comic properties on TV, especially DC and the Flash.

The young-skewing CW—co-owned by CBS and the parent company of DC, Time Warner—has been a proving ground for DC properties. The Flash is now the highest-rated show on the network (a steady 1.53) and its biggest show ever with men in the dollar demo (ages 18-49).

That article also links to a nice interview with Grant Gustin.

You're kind of in an action-movie zone now on The Flash. How much of the stunt work do you do yourself?
Well, I'd be working 16-hour days every day if we tried to use me for everything. I mean, the crew works 14 hours a day and I'm right there with them most of the time. But as far as the stunts are concerned, I probably do about, I mean, 50 percent, and that 50 percent being mostly stylized movement type things. When it comes to throwing the Flash through a glass plate or pulling him through something, my stunt double will always do those things, cause they'll never let me do it. There's a lot of choreography-type things, just sliding into frame or stylized movement that I always like to do just because I want to. I think my dance background does come into play sometimes when it comes to the quality of movement I want to bring to the character.

• Love 1

The show nominated for a VES award:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Photoreal/Live Action Broadcast Program

CONSTANTINE; A FEAST OF FRIENDS
GAME OF THRONES; THE CHILDREN
HEMLOCK GROVE
MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
THE FLASH
               Armen Kevorkian
               James Baldanzi
               Jeremy Jozwick
               Andranik Taranyan
Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Grant Gustin was actually a pretty entertaining performer on Glee (despite playing a smarmy villain), so I'd look forward to seeing him sing on Flash in limited quantities.

Looking more closely at the "date" sequence, it looks like his companion there might be Asian... Linda Park, anyone?

• Love 1