Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Pick Yourself Up

After his collapse while performing at the late night show, Will recovers in the hospital and frets about his future. Brad gets a restraining order against Deacon, fueling conflict between Deacon and Jessie. The media get wind of Juliette’s extended stay in South America and begin harassing Avery about it. Maddie gets caught up in the fast lane lifestyle of Jonah Ford.

Did you guys remember this was starting up again? Me neither!

• Love 4

I completely forgot what happened the last time and when I saw the 'previously on', I was thinking 'oh, right.' and weighing whether I actually wanted to watch it or catch up on some news. In the end, I watched it, but I didn't really enjoy it. Maddie is so annoying. And is looking like an oompa loompa, especially in the last scene next to Daphne.

• Love 8

Too heavy on new folks like Jessie and Alanna. But it was nice to see Will again, and he even got his OWN song this time! Maddie, not so much. Her storyline is tedious and, yeah, she looks terrifying. Go back to light brown hair, stop overbleaching your teeth and overtanning your face! It's so jarring to look at!

• Love 15

I thought the same thing when Maddie and Daphne were right next to each other. It really shows how unnatural she looks.

I'm going to call her purple hair because I don't remember her name and don't really care. Anyway she is super gross and shady. Did she shower after leaving Gunners bed to play dance party with Avery. So gross. Trying to hook up with 2 members of your band at the same time. Maybe she thrives on the drama. I'm disappointed in Averty. Bros before hos man. Sure your pissed at Juliette but going after a girl through Gunner has feeling for even if she doesn't return them. She is still screwing him. 

Are we supposed to believe that Cadence sleeps like the dead that she wouldn't wake up to daddy's dacne party. The music seemed pretty loud for a toddler trying to sleep.

The writes must hate Gunner. Dude got sucker punched by a guitar. Plus his stupid hair. Plus he fact that no women want to date him.

Calling Scarlett for babysitting duty. Because that's all she does. Will, horse guy, and Deacon tried to stick Maddie on her.

Cool so 18 year old can go into a bar and get servered. She doesn't even have a fake id. 

Oh look the chick with the kid and dick head ex are still a thing that no one asked for or cares about. 

No Juliette this episode and she wasn't in the promo for the next either. How many episodes is she actually going to be in this season. Must have been in her contract that she is only going to be in 1/4 of the episodes.

Lol at Avery saying there won't be a third act for him and Juliette. This is strarting to remind me of Pretty Little Liars. End game is end game no matter how much they ruin the characters/couples. 

• Love 6

Eh, this one was a little boring. I agree with your assessments. I'm ready for the Deacon and Jessie ship to sink. Honestly, as much as I love Deacon, if I were Jessie I'd end it. I could never let a man cause me to lose my child. And I don't even think Deacon was in the wrong. But you sacrifice for your kids.

Can't stand Alannah. She's so slimy and calculating. And what is up with the high waisted pants? I'm not worried about their relationship though. We all know he and Juliette will be back together, especially since she's pregnant again.

I can't believe they are gonna go there with the Rayna coming back. I'm sure it's just a dream or vision, but still.

Scarlett is the most annoying character I've seen in a long time.  She waltzes in like she's the old wise woman, telling Will what he needs and what he should be doing, when her life is as messed up as it's possible to be.  As if because she doesn't like performing and wants to hide in a corner and scribble in her notebook, he should be happy to that as well.  The writers act like she has unlimited funds which gives her unlimited time to interfere in everyone's life. 

Why did Jessie act like she did not think that Brad wasn't going to hurt the boy?  Did I see a different scene than everyone else?  The story now is that Deacon caused the trouble when it was the son who refused to go and Brad who put his hands on him in a way that I thought was a precursor to violence.  This reminds me of the accident with Deacon and Rayna, where it was portrayed as Deacon's fault they were in a wreck, when Rayna was the one actually driving.  Who forced her way into the car so she could drive then decided that while driving she would try to get a bottle out of Deacon's hands.  In my world, whoever is driving, unless someone has grabbed the steering wheel, is the one who caused the wreck.

I do think Avery should be done with Juliette, but since this is the only "end-game" couple that is possible, I imagine that is what we will get.

I don't find it hard to believe that Maddie could get served without an ID... just based on who she is or who she is with. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, seewillrun said:

Scarlett is the most annoying character I've seen in a long time.  She waltzes in like she's the old wise woman, telling Will what he needs and what he should be doing, when her life is as messed up as it's possible to be.  As if because she doesn't like performing and wants to hide in a corner and scribble in her notebook, he should be happy to that as well.  The writers act like she has unlimited funds which gives her unlimited time to interfere in everyone's life. 

Why did Jessie act like she did not think that Brad wasn't going to hurt the boy?  Did I see a different scene than everyone else?  The story now is that Deacon caused the trouble when it was the son who refused to go and Brad who put his hands on him in a way that I thought was a precursor to violence.  This reminds me of the accident with Deacon and Rayna, where it was portrayed as Deacon's fault they were in a wreck, when Rayna was the one actually driving.  Who forced her way into the car so she could drive then decided that while driving she would try to get a bottle out of Deacon's hands.  In my world, whoever is driving, unless someone has grabbed the steering wheel, is the one who caused the wreck.

I do think Avery should be done with Juliette, but since this is the only "end-game" couple that is possible, I imagine that is what we will get.

I don't find it hard to believe that Maddie could get served without an ID... just based on who she is or who she is with. 

Scarlett probably has royalties coming in from her songs. Didn't she write like 10 in a week at one point for her publisher, somewhere between her meltdown and hooking up with Gunnar again? And who knows, maybe the girl is smarter than she lets on and had life insurance for her mother.

I was confused by Jessie as well, but too disinterested in the storyline/romance to mention it earlier today. A comparison can be made with the accident with Rayna, but at least Rayna spoke up (when she was able) and cleared the air/Deacon. Not that I think Deacon was in the right here. Honestly, I don't know if the writers really are that oblivious or think he is in the right, but that man has some serious anger management issues even while sober. And he's too dumb to realize it and keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Never did understand what Rayna saw in him. Guess it was the way he made her feel like she was the center of the universe or something. Granted, they had good chemistry on stage and while writing songs together, but that's about it. Never really got that romance.

Oh and I do think Maddie should get a place of her own. Preferably far, far away from Nashville.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Are we supposed to believe that Cadence sleeps like the dead that she wouldn't wake up to daddy's dacne party. The music seemed pretty loud for a toddler trying to sleep.

So much this! And he was already having trouble getting her to go to sleep! He really would have left Purple Hair (I can't remember her name either) play the music that loud?

About halfway through this episode, I was thinking: which storyline do I like least? Answer: all of them. There is not a single plot that doesn't annoy me. At this point, I'm only here for the sporadic musical performances and Esten's tears. And this ep didn't even have Scarlett plus horses.

I used to love Juliette and Avery onstage together. Remember when that used to happen?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

So much this! And he was already having trouble getting her to go to sleep! He really would have left Purple Hair (I can't remember her name either) play the music that loud?

About halfway through this episode, I was thinking: which storyline do I like least? Answer: all of them. There is not a single plot that doesn't annoy me. At this point, I'm only here for the sporadic musical performances and Esten's tears. And this ep didn't even have Scarlett plus horses.

I used to love Juliette and Avery onstage together. Remember when that used to happen?

There scene at Avery's house went on sooooo long. I actually fast forwarded it. Wasn't in love with any of the stories last night. Maybe Will's writing again. And Daphne. Her ups and downs have been very authentic throughout Nashville. I hope she is not taken in by Brad and the chance for fame.

• Love 1

I watched because...well, I've watched since the beginning. I will watch until the end, which can't come quickly enough. High hopes that this show could recapture a bit of the magic and music which was so promising. No, it can't and new showrunners seem to have made it worse. Does anyone connected with this show know what a storyline is? It has become a sad, disconnected, rambling sequence of characters I don't know or care about anymore.

• Love 6

Between Maddie's Tammy Faye makeup, and purple haired new chick hogging all the scenes, I'm hate watching at this point.

Pet tv peeve, characters "driving" and NEVER looking at the road. I'm looking at you Chip.

The only 2 scenes I liked was Deacon and the girls all in bed hugging and crying and talking about pancakes, and Avery reading to Cadence. 

Remember when we asked the show runners for more of Avery, Will,and Gunner, with a side of Chip? And less of the new characters? So glad they listened. :/

• Love 8

They seriously need to cut the chaff and focus on core characters pronto.

Don't want to see Avery/Gunnar conflict. Couldn't the boys just have a fun band/tour for more than a couple freaking episodes without chick drama. The way Alannah kept leering at Avery was so over the top and gross. 

Seems like Maddie has been the focus for years now (the emancipation, her career, her men). Why? WHY?!?!

I wonder if a vision of Rayna will be what pulls Julliete together. Then maybe she can stop by home, slap Maddie, hug Daphne, and tell Deacon it's too late in the series for anyone to care about Jessie. 

I know I was all about freeing Avery during the first part of the season.  And genuinely I think he can do better.  Purple hair, though?  She's not better.

15 hours ago, deacondahling said:

if I were Jessie I'd end it. I could never let a man cause me to lose my child. And I don't even think Deacon was in the wrong. But you sacrifice for your kids.

This!   If this was my situation I'd so totally be like, "Look Deacon, it has been fun.  But I can't lose my kid.  Sorry."  And Deacon who has kids would totally get that.

(edited)

I can't stand Alanna and I hate the idea of Avery and Alanna together. 

Poor Gunnar's hair. 

Poor Will's heart.

Ugh, Jessie.  Double ugh, Maddie.  

Deacon and the girls all in bed hugging and crying and talking about pancakes, and Avery reading to Cadence. 

This!  

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 3

Avery's my favorite character, yet even I thought the scene at the house with Alanna went on way too long. It felt repetitive and reminded me of that ep where Rayna kept asking Deacon to write a song for her, which also went on and on. In fact the entire episode felt like it was about inconsequential things. Do we really need another episode where Maddie spends time with her jerky boyfriend while the nice guy looks on? Ugh. And if I never see Daphne at school again, I will be immensely grateful. Other than a couple of things (Will getting out of the hospital, Jessie getting the restraining order, Alanna making a play for Avery) this entire episode could be skipped, imo.

• Love 1

I'm pretty far from the millennial generation but is it normal to spend all boyfriend time with your boyfriend's entire posse? I feel like Maddie and Jonah have had some one on one time. But it seems like every time he invites her somewhere, the entire group goes too. If I were her I'd be annoyed by now, especially since his friends are mostly douches, but again I am of a different generation. 

Still surprised that the Deacon/Jessie situation didn't end with a temporary breakup. That was her only option! Lady, there's time in the future for you and Deacon maybe, but right now you've got to hang on to your kid!

• Love 1
On 6/8/2018 at 7:18 PM, kittygirl said:

I watched because...well, I've watched since the beginning. I will watch until the end, which can't come quickly enough. High hopes that this show could recapture a bit of the magic and music which was so promising. No, it can't and new showrunners seem to have made it worse. Does anyone connected with this show know what a storyline is? It has become a sad, disconnected, rambling sequence of characters I don't know or care about anymore.

I could have written this comment because it's exactly how I feel. I was really hoping that when they came back from the break they would have dropped all these horrible storylines & got back to the music, but nope, they picked up right where they left off. I will grit my teeth & watch this piece of crap until the end, but that end can't come soon enough for me.

• Love 7
(edited)

What ticked me off was Maddie, Jonah (is that his name?) and the crew going into Bridgestone Arena, using the Predators' hockey equipment, and skating on their ice.  I know the season is over for the year, but still, totally unrealistic.  I thought it was cool that they all had jerseys from the team, but still, this would NOT have happened.  And where did they get skates that small?  The Predators are big boys.

Speaking of Maddie, CAN. NOT. STAND. HER!!

Still love me some Deacon (without Jessie), Avery (without Juliette or purple hair), Will (without Zach) and, ok, Gunner (without Scarlet) when they're all together singing and joking and loving each other.  But I don't see that happening anymore.  Why couldn't this show just concentrate on the music and forget all the crap and new people that nobody cares a flying fuck about?

Could Maddie get drunk and have a hangover from one drink?  She said she just had the one.

Cadence is so sweet.  I loved when Avery was reading to her and then again, when he was singing to her.  They obviously have a loving relationship in real life.  Jonathan has 3 kids of his own so I guess it comes naturally to him.

I'm ready for "Big Brother".

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Could Maddie get drunk and have a hangover from one drink?  She said she just had the one.

Haha - as in, what every teenager has said to their parents ever? :) My guess was that once she did the toasts, it wasn't hard to have more. But even just a few toast shots of straight liquor might have been enough to make her nauseous, especially if she hadn't eaten much.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2018 at 7:48 AM, Moxie Cat said:

Haha - as in, what every teenager has said to their parents ever? :) My guess was that once she did the toasts, it wasn't hard to have more. But even just a few toast shots of straight liquor might have been enough to make her nauseous, especially if she hadn't eaten much.

Exactly what I thought when I read that!  LOL

• Love 2

I was so ready for Avery to move on from Juliette and her endless drama, but...not like this! Not with talented by shady and boring Alanna, and not splitting up the Bro Squad! Its so lame and and boring, and it seems out of character for Avery. No way do I think the guy would get flirty with a woman one of his best friends is kind of seeing. Its just so ridiculous. 

I did enjoy the follow up with Will, and he even got a song! 

There was just too much of the new characters. I like Jessie alright, but there was too much of her and her cackling evil ex, her moody son, and of course, drama llama Alanna. Plus Maddie and her latest lame boyfriend and his lamer version of the Bro Squad. Really, when this show has stuff like Maddie, Daphne, and Deacon on the bed talking and crying, and Avery and Cadance singing together and reading a story, its still quite good, and seems like something worth watching. But its billions of contrived subplots based around characters I dont know well enough to care about (or are just unlikable) drags the whole thing down. 

• Love 4
On 6/9/2018 at 11:48 PM, slasherboy said:

Still love me some Deacon (without Jessie), Avery (without Juliette or purple hair), Will (without Zach) and, ok, Gunner (without Scarlet) when they're all together singing and joking and loving each other.  But I don't see that happening anymore.  Why couldn't this show just concentrate on the music and forget all the crap and new people that nobody cares a flying fuck about?

THIS!!! What has happened to this show? At this point I'm ready for all of us to be put out of our misery.

I can't believe they even brought Zach back. Yikes!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, woodstock said:

THIS!!! What has happened to this show? At this point I'm ready for all of us to be put out of our misery.

I can't believe they even brought Zach back. Yikes!

I forgot to mention the reappearance of Zach!!  WHY would you bring this character back?  At no point have I ever thought of Zach as being end-game material for Will.  Nothing has been shown to indicate that this would be a possibility, so WHY waste the screen time for a "C" storyline?  The writers (show runners, whatever) are writing as if they have limitless time to spare, instead of the show and all it's storylines being down to the last few episodes.  It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

2 hours ago, seewillrun said:

I forgot to mention the reappearance of Zach!!  WHY would you bring this character back?  At no point have I ever thought of Zach as being end-game material for Will.  Nothing has been shown to indicate that this would be a possibility, so WHY waste the screen time for a "C" storyline?  The writers (show runners, whatever) are writing as if they have limitless time to spare, instead of the show and all it's storylines being down to the last few episodes.  It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Yes! Why bring back Zach, who is terrible, and not ever address the reason why Will was taking steroids. He almost died. That's a big deal. I'm glad Will and Avery are supporting him, but no one is asking him why he did it. There's some issue going on or some insecurity or whatever. And the show needs to go into it. They're treating it like an "oops, was I taking steroids? so sorry" when it's a lot more serious than that.

1 hour ago, CrystalMoon said:

Yes! Why bring back Zach, who is terrible, and not ever address the reason why Will was taking steroids. He almost died. That's a big deal. I'm glad Will and Avery are supporting him, but no one is asking him why he did it. There's some issue going on or some insecurity or whatever. And the show needs to go into it. They're treating it like an "oops, was I taking steroids? so sorry" when it's a lot more serious than that.

And perhaps they will. We do still have 6 more episodes after all.