Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

starri
  • Start Topic

@HunterHunted, the Alchemax cafeteria scene reminded me of the (non-Marvel) comic “Atomic Robo”, about a scientist-adventurer robot and his company Tesladyne, full of scientist-adventurers... some less enthusiastic about the adventure stuff than others. But the evil version of that. (Atomic Robo is awesome.)

For what it’s worth, the released script says that was the cafeteria for the security staff. Doesn’t quite jibe with all the lab coats though.

While the movie’s name references Dan Slott’s Spider-Verse mega-event and provided the impetus to include Spiders-Gwen, Noir, and Ham (and Peni), the core story of the movie owes a bit more to Bendis and Pichelli’s Spider-Men miniseries, where 616 Peter Parker was pulled into Earth-1610 after 1610 Peter died, and that’s when 616 Peter first met Miles. The two go to Aunt May’s house, Pete gives Miles some advice… It’s fun.

Edited by arc
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the hell out of this. Great story, great music, great cinematography. And there were so many small touches that added to, instead of distracting from, the film. ("We don't talk about that.") Another detail I enjoyed was how they subtly captured the look of the old, pre-digital printed comics. With the little pixels and the occasional off set print color. A detail easy to miss for people who didn't read old school comics.

Peter after Miles tells him that the evil genius scientist at Alchemax is a woman, "I need to update my list of biases" Me after the Doc Oc reveal, "I need to update my list of biases."

Loved badass Aunt May. 

Loved the old school Jordans. ("It's a choice.")

I think it's hilarious that Sony worked so long to build a Spiderman Cinematic Universe. They team up with Marvel and it's established in a single movie.

That building with the eagle gargoyle that Miles tagged? It's for sale if you happen to have a billion dollars lying around.

Can't wait for the Blu Ray.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If so, save a seat for me at the weird table.

It's like Tom Welling now vs. Tom Welling when he was a 25-year old underwear model-turned-actor.  I vastly prefer his look now as a beefy daddy with salt-n-pepper hair as opposed to when he was just a blank-faced pretty boy.

Sad Old Peter had some history. I liked that about him.

• Love 3

I'm used to Pixar's all out assault on my tear ducts, was not expecting it here. Even Kingpin, who I wanted destroyed, had moments of sympathy. Blond Peter's death, Prowler's passing ... this was amazing. I was bopping to the music, loving the visual feast, that inverted shot of Miles falling up was beautiful. Such a good movie.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Unusual Suspect said:

I'm used to Pixar's all out assault on my tear ducts, was not expecting it here. Even Kingpin, who I wanted destroyed, had moments of sympathy. Blond Peter's death, Prowler's passing ... this was amazing. I was bopping to the music, loving the visual feast, that inverted shot of Miles falling up was beautiful. Such a good movie.

It really was one of my favorite movies of 2018. I loved certain aspects of Black Panther and consider those elements to be indelible. However, this movie was amazing! Cohesive and beautiful.

• Love 3

The DVD will come with a Spider-Ham short. In related news, John Mulaney will guest host SNL in early March. Dunno if the Diner Lobster/Le Miserables sketch can be topped, though.

Also, I got this cover sketch of Miles based off the movie this past weekend.

ppssm01-miles.jpg.720a4892a60441cf3dd1b5011360e7bc.jpg

• Love 5

I'm completely over the moon for its win.  I figured it was a safe bet, but you never are too sure with these things.  But congrats to everyone involved!  They truly created a special film here.

Now, I'll just patiently wait for the sequels and spin-offs that are apparently in store, and I hope they deliver on all of them as well!

• Love 3

Just saw this and this is, HANDS DOWN-the BEST Spidey movie EVER! it had Pathos, drama, ACTION, HUMOR! The post credit scene had me, my brother, and niece 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'm SO GONNA buy this!

And since I went in completely unspoiled, who Aaron turned out to be was a shock.

Loved it. Loved every second from start to finish.

Teared up at seeing animated Stan Lee.

• Love 6

I bought the Blu Ray and just re-watched. It was so freaking good, even better than the first time around since I was able to really pay attention and catch all the small moments. Uncle Aaron's death still crushing. Finding out his uncle was a villain and watching die was so tough on Miles.

All the Spider people rubbed off on me. I loved Peter B. and Spider Ham after watching the movie the first time, but I grew to really love the rest of them and how much they cared about Miles after the re-watch. 

When he took his "leap of fate," I was yelling, "go Miles" and singing "what's up danger," "can't stop me now"  "I see this spark in you, it's amazing. Whatever you choose to do with it, you will be great. Our family doesn't run from things. You are the best of all of us, you are on your way, keep going."

Miles' love and confidence when he sent the other Spider people home, told Peter B. he wouldn't mess it up, and hugged is father made my heart explode all over again.

Anyone can wear the mask!

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

I finally saw it and it was awesome! Just when I was burned out with Spidey, this got me to love it again. It was such a refreshing take on the franchise!

So much to love: Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen finally getting their due, jaded Peter B., badass Aunt May, Spider-Ham, gender-swapped Doc-Ock, Spider-Man Noir, even Miles' dorky dad.

And of course Stan Lee. Sniff.

Sign me the hell up for the sequel and spin-off.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I bought the Blu Ray and just re-watched. It was so freaking good, even better than the first time around since I was able to really pay attention and catch all the small moments.

One moment I noticed on my third watch was in the Alchemax cafeteria. Most of the scientists jump up to attack Peter and Miles. But one woman makes this frustrated face, like all she wanted was a cup of coffee and now they have to chase down Spider-Man

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Cosplay pictures from Saturday at C2E2 in Chicago. I'm posting that for the epic Kingpin cosplay seen here and here. Also, here's a Liv.

There is nothing more annoying then scrolling through those pictures going...I know this one, wait what's the characters name?! Ugh its from that show! 😁

Some of these are really amazing. The Kingpin one was cool. Thanks for placing the Lady in green.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I finally got around to seeing this movie (wife was out seeing Endgame and my son was down for his nap) and it was really good.  I loved everything about Miles Morales.  The awkward hero phase, the confident hero at the end, everything.  Aunt May was such a treat as well.  Prowler though, I was really hoping he'd pull through especially since we didn't see where he got shot.  The music was really really great.  I wasn't expecting that.  Plus the Spiderman 2099 vs Spiderman 1977 was also an unexpected treat.  I'm really looking forward to the sequel and spinoffs.  

• Love 2

I bought the Blu-ray when it came out but didn't get the chance to watch until a couple of weeks ago. My son said it was the best Spider-Man movie ever and I'm inclined to agree. I absolutely loved the animation, it was right out of a comic book. I think I said at the beginning of this thread that Jake Johnson's voice would distract me. It didn't, he was great. Loved all the other Spider people (and pig!) they brought in too. Can't wait for the sequels.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just saw this on Netflix.  Made me wish I'd gone with my instinct and seen it in the theater.  This so totally lives up to the hype.  And more.

As a life long Spider-Man fan, and after honestly disliking every Spider-Man film until the only other good one so far... Homecoming (yes, even the Sam Raimi ones), this pleased me on such a variety of levels. As with Homecoming, the people who made this understood that you don't have to be slavish to the details of Spider-Man, but you DO need to be totally devoted to the spirit and tone of it.  That's why Miles Morales' adventures in the comics were usually okay with me. At least in his solo series that was the case too. Spider-Man is both light-hearted and serious at the same time.  It's funny and poignant in equal parts.  It's aspirational. Yes, he gets his power through fate in an almost magical way (all versions of Spider-Man), and both Peter and Miles in the comics are geniuses, but they're also relatable.  And that's why Peter B. Parker is an even better character in this than Peter (No Initial) Parker.  He's SO relatable.

The eye candy in this is why I wish I'd seen it in the theaters.  Wow. Even on a small screen it was impressive. 

There's also so much to develop further with this. A sequel won't necessarily ruin this. In fact, it gives a way to have Peter Parker and Miles Morales at the same time without rushing Miles into the MCU.  Miles is going to be front and center in a Marvel Cinematic ANIMATED Universe and if they cut the right deals who says such an Animated Cinematic Universe has to stop with Spider-Man?  Develop Miles' version of Earth with an Iron-Man, for example. In fact, that's how I'd expand this rather than the next sequel dipping back into the multiverse again. Miles fitting in with other heroes on his own Earth. 

So happy with this. It goes on my all-time greats movie list.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 10
On 6/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, Kromm said:

if they cut the right deals who says such an Animated Cinematic Universe has to stop with Spider-Man?  Develop Miles' version of Earth with an Iron-Man, for example. In fact, that's how I'd expand this rather than the next sequel dipping back into the multiverse again. Miles fitting in with other heroes on his own Earth.

I literally cannot imagine Disney selling off even non-exclusive rights for any more Marvel characters to Sony, even in a strictly for animation form. Meanwhile, Sony has all the Spider-Man characters but that’s it. I guess they can work together if sufficiently desperate enough (Marvel Studios wants Spider-Man and Sony wants a SM franchise that’s successful), but I don’t see the business sides getting together on this. Which is especially a shame because — Spider-verse aside — there aren’t a lot of heroes in this corner of the MU. It’s basically just Peter (and more recently Miles and Gwen.)

That was kind of the bummer for Peter A Parker, and really all the spider-people of the film (and all the Sony films): they really are the lone superhero for New York, maybe the world.

but yeah, animation wise, Sony took such a huge leap over the rest of the field I wonder how long it’ll be before Pixar and Dreamworks can catch up. I’m not even an animator and I couldn’t stop thinking about the animation for weeks after I first saw the film.

• Love 4
(edited)

In case you're not into Conan O'Brien . . . he's in San Diego for Comic-Con, and he goofed on SMITSV to start things off.

ETA: I didn't realize that I neglected to post two more sketches I acquired based off the movie (in the sense that I used references from that). Here are Spider-Ham and Spider-Gwen.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

I just watched this, but I am so late with this question. I am not a big comics book person, but I was wondering whether Kingpin's Vanessa is connected to Copycat. I noticed a tell-tale white streak in her hair.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I just watched this, but I am so late with this question. I am not a big comics book person, but I was wondering whether Kingpin's Vanessa is connected to Copycat. I noticed a tell-tale white streak in her hair.

I think she has always had that.

Edited by Lantern7

I finally gave in and watched this on Netflix. I'm not a huge animation fan, but I was looking for something to watch and heard this was good. I knew some about it since it came out a while ago but honestly wasn't that spoiled.

Anyhow, I generally did like it. However, I would have not had the pig, the Japanese girl (sorry I don't recall her name) and the detective guy in it.  As they had no character development and took up time that could have been given to the other characters.  I would have kept it as just the three of them and would have explained that Gwen and Peter B were near the reactor when it went off, which is why they were randomly sucked in to the prime demention not because they are "spider people", as that makes no sense. Then I would have a week take place between the "event" and them trying to get home. As this would explain the week that Gwen had, which wasn't explained in the movie. The one thing I don't get, is so she just walked into Miles class and nobody questioned it? Miles was late, and the teacher knew who he was, so clearly she knows her class.  Then Gwen didn't ask him about anything or help him, when it was clear that he literally just got his powers. Unless I missed something, this is the same "Gwen" right. Since her hair was messed up, I just assumed it was.

Anyhow, I get why people like this movie, the animation was really well done and deserved the praise it got. But some improvement on the story would have helped it. Overall a fun watch, but not as good as an MCU movie to be honest.

Edited by blueray

I just heard the news. A sequel! Of course, I knew it was coming, but great that is now official. I can't wait to see Miles' next adventure,. "You are the best of all of us, you are on your way, keep going." 

Just realized I got a sketch of Spider-Man Noir from Fabrice Sapolsky, the artist of the original miniseries. This wasn't the semi-camp Nic Cage movie version, though. The story was pretty good . . . read it if you can.

757437009_Spider-ManNoir.thumb.jpg.bbd2c73092bea87d3285a267abe1cf45.jpg

• Love 2

My verdict: loved it!  Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse is not only the best Spider-Man movie ever made so far, it's one of the best superhero movies ever. It was smart, funny and badass, with just the right amount of heart. It's Best Animated Feature Oscar win was richly deserved.

It was filled with great characters, good and evil, sublime and ridiculous. And of course, Stan Lee, whose bittersweet last cameo was the cherry on top. Miles Morales' origins put a new spin on the Spidey story, as did Peter B. Parker, Spider-Gwen, Peni Parker, Spider-Man Noir, Aunt May and of course, Spider-Ham. In fact, I not only wouldn't mind if any of them got films of their own, if there's a Spider-Man Noir movie, that would be the first Nicolas Cage movie I'd pay to see in decades.

The ending with Spider-Man 1967 and Spider-Man 2099 is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

If there's a live-action Miles Morales, my picks would be either Stranger Things Caleb McLaughlin or When They See Us' Asante Blackk or Emmy-winner Jharrel Jerome, who also happens to be Afro-Latino like Miles Morales.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, Lantern7 said:

Listing Easter Eggs. I wasn’t aware of most of ‘em.

The "Frame Rate Differences" one (#7) is a persistent myth. There's a kernel of truth in that in the forest web-swinging sequence Peter B and Miles are sometimes both animated on twos (12 fps) but offset from each other by a frame because they are also metaphorically not in sync and then later when Miles gets better at web-swinging, both are animated on twos but are now in sync.

While there are moments in the film where characters are animated on ones, as much as possible the character animation is on twos, according to Peter Ramsay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbSLEjTeD4&feature=youtu.be&t=487

(More specifically, the camera always animates on ones, and if a character in that shot is animated on twos they will still slide across the screen on ones, but their poses will only change every other frame (on twos). Much of Miles' triumphant successful web-swinging across New York towards Fisk Tower is on twos.)

While I'm at it, the Donald Glover Community cameo (#3) is really tremendous. The whole thing started when someone proposed Donald Glover should be the next Spider-Man... I think before Andrew Garfield was cast. This was around the first season of Community or so, so a long time ago. There was an internet kerfuffle because some comic fans just couldn't accept the idea, but (1) it led to his character in Community wearing Spider-Man pajamas in the second season premiere, and (2) the whole kerfuffle led to the creation of Miles Morales in the comics.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, arc said:

(1) it led to his character in Community wearing Spider-Man pajamas in the second season premiere, and (2) the whole kerfuffle led to the creation of Miles Morales in the comics.

And (3) Glover played Aaron Davis in Homecoming.

• Love 1

Late, as per usual; and I'll echo most of the comments here that this was excellent, on several levels. I was not at all interested in yet another teen Peter Parker; but sign me up for Miles and Gwen!

Nearly every comic book movie has several filler actions sequences, but I really liked that they managed to some of the ones here really fun/funny.

I didn't really know anything about the stories for Miles in the comics, so the reveal that his uncle was a supervillain(!!) was a real shocker for me:

"This is a hardcore origin story." -- That what I said, Nicolas Cage Spider-man; that's what I said!!

Question: was it some type of comic (or other) reference that the Peter Parker in Miles' world was blonde? Obviously, they wanted to differentiate him from Peter B. Parker (but they were different enough anyway, IMO), but I wondered if it might have been something more.

I only have one nitpick: I think they should have made Gwen's Peter look more like a teenager/younger in that flashback. Even with that one shot, it was weird to me that her 'best friend' looked just like the other two adult Peter Parkers. Okay maybe two nitpicks: Kingpin's design -- which isn't bad, I just thought it didn't really fit with everyone else who were a bit more realistic.

Lots of moving moments, but what got me the most was the end with Miles saying 'anyone can wear the mask'; because I remember the whole thing with Donald Glover leading to Miles in the comics playing out in real time. (Only about a decade ago!)

• Love 2

I watched this movie last night after recording it off FXX. I'm not a huge fan of super hero movies, and I am not very well-versed in the Marvel Universe at all, let alone the Spider-verse, but I had always heard that this was like the best Spiderman movie ever, so I thought I'd give it a go. I had no idea there were multiple spider...people, so this was a bit confusing to me. BUT I will say it was highly entertaining once I kinda sorta figured out what was happening. I knew I could come here to fill in some gaps, lol. But I guess my biggest question is, does every Spider-verse have only one spider person at a time? If the blond Peter hadn't been killed, would there have been TWO Spider-men in that particular universe, or did some cosmic shenanigans time it so that Miles would get bitten right before Peter died?

And when did all the alt-spideys arrive in Miles' universe? How long had they been hanging out in Aunt May's basement lair? I might have missed an explanation.

I loved dad-bod Peter, and the sight of him running around barefoot in gray sweatpants was way hotter than it had any right to be.

• Love 1