Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

starri
  • Start Topic

One of the things that I really like about the animation is that all of the Spiders are slightly different.  Peter, Gwen, and Miles are slight variations on modern CG animation, Noir looks almost like an ink drawing in some parts, Peni looks like anime, and Ham looks like a Looney Tunes character.  It was a good choice.

• Love 7

‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ Team Talks Diversity: ‘Modern Heroes for a Modern World’

Brian Tyree Henry wasn’t so sure about being cast as a father in “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”

At just 36, the “Atlanta” actor said he didn’t think he was old enough, but when he found out he would be rearing Miles Morales, Marvel’s only black, Latino Spider-Man, he decided to forgo any insecurities he had about his age and jump at the opportunity. For Henry, and the rest of the cast and crew behind the film, Morales represented a new type of superhero: a young man of color who could show kids that anyone can be a superhero.

“I think that by them making this movie… and making it completely a representation of the world we live in and the families that are right next door to us, it’s so important because for some kids this is going to be their first vision of spider-man,” Henry told Variety during Saturday’s premiere at the Regency Village Theater in Westwood. “They’re opening up the imaginations of people to let them know that anything is possible.”

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

I just saw the advance screening ahead of next week's general release and it is amazing. Visually stunning and a solid story with a lot of fun.

BTW, @festivus, I thought the same thing about Jake Johnson when I saw the trailers, but when watching the movie it just about never crossed my mind.

• Love 9

Were you in Burbank, @arc? I just saw it, too. I honestly thought my theater had made a mistake with the listing and was half expecting I'd have to go home. 

I loved it so much. I have no criticisms other than I want to see it again immediately. The final end credits were perfection. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 2

This was a great time. Probably my favourite animated movie of the year, and up there with Black Panther as the best superhero movie of the year. Loved the animation, especially during the action scenes, of which there are a lot.

Some of the plot stuff doesn't completely make sense

Spoiler

(Gwen coming through the portal a week in the past and finding Miles is never explained except for them wanting her there at the start)

, but it doesn't matter that much. Similarly, there's probably too many villains, only one of whom has much motivation.

I'd have liked a bit more of Noir/Spider-Pig/Peni, but by the time we get through Miles's origin, there's not that much time left for the other characters. They all get some great moments though.

I'll definitely watch it again, if only to try to catch all the background jokes (I spotted the Clone High reference, and the Oh, Hello one).

Loved the post-credits scene, which manages to be both a "set up the sequel" tease, and a great comedy bit. Though, like Ralph Breaks the Internet, reading the credits while waiting partially spoiled me on what they were going to do.

I think it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen, if only because it's the type of super-fast animation that still tends to pixellate a lot when watched on Netflix or iTunes. I'll probably be getting the Blu-ray.

• Love 3

There's some intense scary stuff but not much of it and I don't think it's any scarier than the Star Wars films.

It is really hyperkinetic, esp as it ramps up to the biggest closing action sequence. I genuinely have no idea if that's okay for little kids.

• Love 1

I just got back. I was shaken by Peter Parker's death, but then recovered and enjoyed the rest of the movie. I think it took too long to get Miles to take a leap of faith, but it was a fun movie with a great soundtrack.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I have been thinking about the movie and listening to Sunflower over and over again. What a great song! Miles discovering that Uncle Aaron (Mahershala Ali) was evil was such a tough moment. When he revealed his face, his uncle chose to protect him, and then died was heartbreaking. The animation of Miles and his father's grief was so well done. I loved Peter B. Parker and his mentor relationship with Miles. He was so funny offering to bring "bread" to MJ. I cheered when Miles made him go home to live his life. All the versions of Spider-man were great, but Spider-Ham was hilarious.

Brian Henry Tyree was so good as Miles' father. I wish that his mother (Lauren Velez) was given more presence in the movie. I had never heard of Shameik Moore before, but he was wonderful as Miles. Got to honest, I didn't recognize Nicholas Cage or Chris Pine's voices. I didn't realize that Pine was our earth's Peter Parker. It crushes me that the Peter Parker who I grew up with loved is dead.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Well, our Earth doesn’t have a real Spider-Man. But Miles’ earth has a few distinct differences from ours: water polo is a huge pro sport and Chance the Rapper wears a hat with “4” on it instead of “3”. Also, Spider-Man kissed an upside-down Mary Jane while in the Raimi movies (and for Peter B Parker) Spidey was the one who was upside-down.

Also, the timeline fits better that Peter B is the animated mirror to the Tobey Maguire Spidey, in that he’s been a superhero for twenty years. Miles’ Peter had only been doing it for six.

• Love 4

Saw it today. Very impressive. Is it too soon to think this movie gets an Oscar, beating out two Pixar films? So much detail went into it, and most of it was psychedelic as hell. I'm not sure about some of my friends saying it was the best superhero movie ever, but I get where they're coming from. Mile Morales, Spider-Gwen, Nicolas Cage, a burnt-out Peter Parker, the coolest Aunt May to ever exist, Spider-Ham, awesome music . . . and for the sheer hell of it after the credits? Spider-Man 2099 getting into a slap fight with the Spider-Man from Earth-67; that is, the one from the really old cartoon.

And a female Dr. Octopus with plastic-looking maneuvering arms! And a really effed-up looking Kingpin! Seriously, that one looked like something Tim Burton would have drawn. And all of the Spider-People had their own animation movement, which was also really trippy. Especially Noir.

"Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: You Will Believe We Can Get Spider-Ham On The Big Screen." That's basically it. Oh, and I saw the "Oh, Hello!" billboard. Nice touch. Maybe Nick Kroll can be in the sequel, only not as a giant douche. (#InsideJoke) Is there a list of blink/miss moments?

Oh, and a "Hairy Palm" moment that goes straight over kids' heads. Damn.

So, what Spideys make the sequel? Spider-Punk? Spider-Man Mangaverse? Otto Octavius: The Superior Spider-Man, just to hear him shout "THE DIE IS CAST!!!!" every other minute?

On 6/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, Spartan Girl said:

SPIDER-GWEN! It's about fucking time!

Come on, that was inevitable. Marvel is trying their best to keep her front-and-center, especially with the upcoming "Ghost Spider" rebrand. Her first appearance in the prologue for the Spider-Verse epic was cool, and the creators did a great job shaping her Earth and making her distinct from the original model.

On 12/8/2018 at 2:15 AM, VCRTracking said:

Sony right now:

how-the-turntables-gif-3.gif

Yeah, Sony is still sticking around the scene. I heard Venom made decent money (didn't get around to watch), but SM:ITSV is a straight-up breakout franchise starter.

• Love 4

Saw it today and was amazed. It it something wondrous to behold. I'll want to catch it later on DVD because there were so many clever references in the background I'm sure I missed.

Brian Tyree Henry wasn’t so sure about being cast as a father in “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”

I wasn't so sure about his character being named after the president of the Civil War Confederacy. WTAF?

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Saw it today and was amazed. It it something wondrous to behold. I'll want to catch it later on DVD because there were so many clever references in the background I'm sure I missed.

I wasn't so sure about his character being named after the president of the Civil War Confederacy. WTAF?

That's either incredibly tone-deaf or an admirable "fuck you" to confederate sympathizers.

• LOL 1

There’s some convoluted reasoning for why Miles was given his mother’s last name, but yeah, in addition to it being really messed up that Jefferson’s parents named him Jefferson Davis, Miles was almost Miles Davis.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This was pretty damn great. I haven’t actually read the source materials for any of the Alt spideys, but the movie put everything together so slickly. 

(Seriously, when Lord and Miller are capable of this and the LEGO Movie wtf was up with the Solo turmoil? Is it just that their methods only work in animation?)

• Love 2

I saw this yesterday, thought it was really good and I want to see more of Miles (and everyone for that matter) in the future. Any time a movie can go from making me laugh to tearing up with the emotions I consider it a pretty darn good film.

If I had a negative to say, it's that I felt this movie needed to either be longer or, like 5% less frenetic , I felt like so many relationships/dynamics in the film could have used a few minutes more to breath and explore on screen.

Also, I was kind of surprised that there was no recognition/reaction at all between Peter and Gwen seeing each other, especially since she mentioned the death of her best friend Peter later in the film.

I wonder if Peter B's marriage ending in a divorce was supposed to be a shot at Joe Q. and the One More Day storyline.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, SimoneS said:

I didn't realize that Pine was our earth's Peter Parker. It crushes me that the Peter Parker who I grew up with loved is dead.

I thought they made him blond as a signal to us that this wasn't our Peter so we wouldn't feel too bad that he died at the start of the story and could just jump back into the fun when Peter B shows up with the recognizable brown hair. It was still rough seeing him die like that though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

I thought they made him blond as a signal to us that this wasn't our Peter so we wouldn't feel too bad that he died at the start of the story and could just jump back into the fun when Peter B shows up with the recognizable brown hair. It was still rough seeing him die like that though.

I totally missed that clue. I only realized it when I was reading about the movie afterwards. I now know that Peter B. is our original Spider-Man on Earth-616 which is great because I loved him.  

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. I saw this movie yesterday and I thought it was awesome. I loved the animation and the plot was great. Miles Morales is very likeable and is a cool Spider-Man.

The Stan Lee cameo was one of my favorite parts and it drew a nice reaction from the theater I was in.

Overall, it’s such a cool movie with funny and heartwarming moments. I would go watch it again for sure.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I totally missed that clue. I only realized it when I was reading about the movie afterwards. I now know that Peter B. is our original Spider-Man on Earth-616 which is great because I loved him.  

I think Peter B is more like the Raimi Spidey. 616’s shares superhero duty with a host of other NY-based heroes. Peter B appears to be entirely alone, along with every other Sony (non-MCU) Spidey. (Besides multiverses, anyways)

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this movie with my 6 year old. It was a lot of fun with some good humor. I thought it was nice that, for once, a superhero gets to keep his parents. The diversity was great in this movie and yet it still wasn’t able to have 2 women talking to each other...how hard is that to accomplish? 

• Love 5

I was a little unsure about this going in (I wasn't impressed with the preview after Venom), but the reviews and praise finally convinced me, and I'm glad I did.  This honestly might not just be my favorite comic book film of the year (and that's saying something, considering the competition), but it might likely be my favorite Spider-Man film (barring Spider-Man 2) and even favorite comic book films of all time.

As others have said, the animation is just truly eye-popping and spectacular, and I was never bored or lost interest throughout it all.  There were truly moments that just left me breathless and enthralled, due to how scenes were shot and it all came together.  All of the action scenes were spectacular.  The animation team deserves all the praise in the world for this.  But it still avoided being too "style over substance", as I still thought the story was great (even if predictable or similar to other films in the genre), and all of the characters felt relatable and fully-layered.  Miles Morales was a great lead character and I hope we see more of him here and possibly in live action films.

Shameik Moore was a revelation here as Miles, and I hope he continues to go places (although hopefully he will be around for some sequels!) Jack Johnson was fun as Sad-Slack Peter Parker, and Hailee Steineld shined as Gwen.  Brian Tyree Henry and Mahershala Ali turned in some powerful work for what could have been cliched roles, Nicolas Cage was fun, and John Mulaney was born to play Spider-Ham, if that makes any sense!  And I kept thinking that Original Peter at the beginning sounded a lot like Chris Pine, only to see that it actually was him!  Fun cameo, even if it ended tragically.  At least he got to riff on the infamous Spider-Man 3 emo dancing!  What can I say?  I'm cheap, and I got a kick out of that.

Loved all of the references and inside jokes.  Too many to mention, but the one that sticks with me was Spider-Ham's "That's all, folks!" after he left, and you hear Peter say "Can he say that?!  Like, legally, can he say that?!"

The Stan Lee cameo hit hard.  I can only imagine how emotional the ones in Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, etc. will be.

Fantastic film.  Hope we get more of them.

• Love 5

I'm 35 years old and this is the first superhero movie that made me want to be a superhero. I left the theater doing the thwip sounds and making the web swinging motion with my hands. This was just so joyous.

I loved that dad bod Spidey didn't stay a curmudgeon for too long and didn't act annoyed by Miles as that's how these story tropes usually go, it took one adventure with this kid for Peter to totally trust and love him. And the way all of the other Spider...entities all warmed up to him so quickly and encouraged him, it was so incredibly heartwarming.

When Miles finally takes that leap of faith I had goosebumps. Between the sound choice and the visuals I felt like I was 9 and seeing X-Men: The Animated Series for the first time.

*goosebumps*

• Love 15

I laughed so hard at this, I cried. Twice. The first time was when pigeons stick to Miles' hands and he repeatedly smacks into windows while they peck him. The second time was this line: "It looks like a child dressed like Spider-Man dragging a homeless corpse behind a train." Because that's exactly what it looked like. And then they decapitate a snowman, and it sticks on Peter B's head.

I am usually immune to slapstick, but the sheer absurdism on display got me so damn good.

I would watch a sequel about "dad bod" Peter B. working to reconcile with Mary Jane. Seeing so many teen/young-adult versions of Spider-Man has made me indifferent to origin stories, so watching Peter at a different point in his life, in a mature relationship, seems appealing. Though... I recently rewatched Now and Again, so the appeal might be an offshoot of my nostalgia for its married couple, and wishing it had more episodes.

• Love 6

I LOVED it! I loved our sad depressed dad bod Spider-Man. I loved Miles and his complete befuddled reaction to his powers. I'm also ok with it taking so long for him to hero up. Peter B took a lot of time figuring out his powers and even still his first impulse was trying to make money from them.

I loved the different art styles. I'm usually very good at figuring out celebrity voices. I recognized Pine, Johnson, Steinfeld, Ali, Tomlin, Velez, Mulaney, Cage, Hahn, and Schrieber. I didn't catch Oscar Isaac, Zoe Kravitz, Lake Bell, or Krondon. Krondon is a rapper/actor with albinism. This is the second comic character with albinism that he's played; one each for Marvel and DC. He currently stars as Tobias Whale, an antagonist of Black Lightning on the CW. 

I loved the easter eggs:

• Raimi Spider-Man,
  • Amazing Spider-Man,
  • Homecoming reference,
  • From Dusk Til Shaun,
  • Hi, Hello instead of Oh, Hello
  • Baby Shower instead of Bridesmaids,
  • Clone College instead of Clone High,
  • The change with Chance the Rapper,
  • Blake Griffin playing baseball,
  • Seth Rogan's "Hold Your Horses" jockey film for Netflix,
  • Romita Ramen,
  • Iron Spider suit,
  • A spider suit with a cape that looks like a short version of the cloak of levitation,
  • The cell-phone contacts of M. Bendis, Dan Slott, and S. Ditko, 
  • The Spider Buggy and Spider Cycle, and
  • The spider-man cereal and popsicle.

I did notice the "42," but I'm not sure what it means. Same thing with Peter B smashing a chuppah glass at his wedding to Mary Jane. Which one of them is Jewish?

Things I didn't notice, but read about online:

• Uncle Aaron watching an episode of Community featuring Troy (Donald Glover) in Spidey pajamas;
  • Jeff Davis' patrol car has the license plate "RFD 690," which is the license plate for the lead detectives car on Law & Order;
  • The Joe Perry Clothing Store; Perry recorded the theme for the 90s animated show. Peter was a fan of Perry and Aerosmith. He also once used the Venom symbiote to make his clothing to look like Perry's;
  • Planet Inglewood instead of Hollywood; and
  • Aunt May's chair in the Spider-lair looking a lot like Madame Webb's throne

I'm sure I missed a ton more.

Things that some folks who were too young for the 90s Spider-Man cartoon is that the comic book version of the Spider-Verse was initially inspired by a story arc on the animated series called Spider Wars. In the storyline, Madame Webb and the Beyonder recruited Spider-Men from across the multiverse to stop the destruction of one of the universes.

https://geeks.media/how-spider-man-the-animated-series-inspired-the-spider-verse

The film is worth seeing again just for the easter eggs, but Miles and Peter B's stories are so compelling and worth watching again without the easter eggs and winks.

• Love 4

I thought this movie was really great, one of, if not the, movies of 2018. It was so original, and I loved getting a new spin on the Spiderman story, and they used the fact that there have been literally a billion Spiderman/Spiderperson stories over the years to actually be a part of the story and the mythology. Anyone can wear the mask indeed. 

The death of the Peter of Miles world just broke my poor little heart. Damn it superhero movies, stop killing Chris Pine! Stop it right this instant! But I guess it had to happen to let Miles be his verses new Spiderman, but it was so sad. Cant ANY Spiderperson have a damn break?

Loved all of the shout outs to the various Spiderman stories, and it was definitely a Spiderman story, but I enjoyed the changes to the story, like Olivia Octavius, and the alternate universe vibe of Miles New York. 

I know that we only had so much time, but I wanted more of the other Spider people and their stories too! I would 100% watch a cartoon about John Mulany as Peter Porker, or, really, any of the Spider people. It was also a more emotional story than I expected it to be. It was really funny and exciting too, but it really packed a punch more than once. 

The Stan Lee cameo was very poinient, especially as it came right after the death of their Peter Parker. I am going to be a freaking mess during his cameo in Avengers: Endgame. 

• Love 6

One of my weirdly favorite moments was Miles and Peter B. bursting into the Alchemax cafeteria and every employee pulls out a gun or some sort of weapon. How on earth is every employee competent to handle these things? I grew up around a bunch of professors, physicists, and engineers. I'd never give any of them a weapon, including my own relatives. I made a similar joke over in the Defenders thread about The Hand MBA program requiring ninja training when Danny burst into the boardroom and all of those executives knew martial arts. Where are the Phil and Lem (Better Off Ted) of Alchemax, smart guys who don't realize they are working for an evil corporation? Perhaps the scientist who shouts "bagel" when Miles throws the bagel back might just be the Phil/Lem of the 1610.

• Love 2