Type keyword(s) to search

S05.02: A Titanic Problem

On 6/13/2018 at 7:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Once again, we are supposed to believe that Liza knows nothing about the world in 2018 (or 2016 or whatever the fuck year we're supposed to believe that they are in now on the show). She uses IG but doesn't know what DMs are? Do the writers want us to think that she's a complete moron? Or are we supposed to believe that Kelsey and Molly have never shared other people's IG posts with Liza in DMs? I just can't with this idiotic "Liza is too old to get technology" stuff.

I'm never surprised by what people don't know.  I don't know much about Snapchat but I was talking to a bunch of people younger than I am who were posting thirst traps on Instagram, and when I referred to them as such, they told me they had never heard the term before.  I think there's just way too much information to be super shocked when  some people don't know things we do.

When one of the OMG things on Charles' list about Liza is that "she has been married," I just rolled my eyes. So have you, you fucking hypocrite. She's your employee but she's not required to disclose her marital status to you.

LOL, I know.  I have friends in their 20s who are divorced.  LOL.  It's not scandalous.

On 6/14/2018 at 1:25 AM, Aulty said:

Why would you Insta DM someone you know really well and usually communicate on other channels with (WhatsApp) - am I getting old??

A lot of people spend a lot of time on Instagram, my friends love to DM me memes on there.  Sometimes people will tag me, but that's public, so when someone wants to send me something private, DMing is better.  

(edited)
On 6/14/2018 at 12:02 PM, Moxie Cat said:

That's how I look at most of the outfits on this show (as a middle aged chick myself!) but unfortunately I suspect that Patricia Field has put these outfits together ON PURPOSE. Never been a fan of most of what Kelsey wears either. That pink blouse? Yeesh.

She definitely is, yes.  You would just need to reference Season 3 of Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was supposed to be in her 30s and dressed super crazy weird and PF was definitely doing it on purpose thinking she would set trends. I don't think she did to be honest because I don't remember anyone carrying on those weird pirate/hooker trends she kept trying to force.

satc-carrie-style17_l.jpg a1f2fbd41a4024c7a560d1f3c559061f.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I cannot stand the actor who plays Charles's ex, she is awful, and I cannot stand her face either.  Sorry 

Thank you, I thought it was just me!

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She definitely is, yes.  You would just need to reference Season 3 of Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was supposed to be in her 30s and dressed super crazy weird and PF was definitely doing it on purpose thinking she would set trends. I don't think she did to be honest because I don't remember anyone carrying on those weird pirate/hooker trends she kept trying to force.

Oh, I know, plus nobody ever dressed like that ever in New York back then or now.  The stripper/fairy look was never a "thing".  I really don't know what Darren Star sees in Patricia Field's choices.  Although I just love what she does with Diana's hysterical jewelry!

• Love 2

In general, think it's a lot more realistic to have a 20 something like Kelsey making some questionable but trendy fashion choices than a 30 something like Carrie, but the reason I kind of gave Carrie a pass with her wacky outfits was (1) she said repeatedly that she was obsessed with fashion and used to buy Vogue instead of dinner (2) she usually worked from home so she had no constraints on what she could wear. I think being able to sit around in a tank top to write her column at her apartment may have also made her want to dress even more extravagantly when she left the house. But yeah, I do question what the hell Patricia Fields is thinking a lot of the time. What really gets me is some of the stuff she has the girls wearing to work. It's one thing to put them in whatever if they're going to bars or out with friends, but some of the stuff they wear to the office just makes me scratch my head.

• Love 6

I also don't care for the actress that plays Pauline. Her face has improved recently, but her voice is what really annoys me, especially when she's begging Liza or Charles to do something for her! 

The more I think about it, the more irritated I am that they've seemingly ended Josh and Claire's marriage already. Not that I was particularly excited about the story line or anything, but they spent so much time leading up to it and now it's just over? Lame. 

I also love Diana's statement jewelry! She's the best.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/17/2018 at 3:51 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I cannot stand the actor who plays Charles's ex, she is awful, and I cannot stand her face either.  Sorry 

This is an awesome story.  LOL.  Thanks for sharing.  The only somewhat close thing I know about is Mila Kunis claiming she lied to say she was 18 years old to star on That 70's Show when she was actually only 14.

Here's Diana's awesome statement jewellry

Dfp0UcUWkAAKaBQ.jpg

Dfp0UcWXcAAV2uD.jpg

That bracelet is EVERYTHING!

Started warming up to Diana last season and so far this season I'm loving her - the scene with Lauren was great.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 2

WTF was Pauline wearing at the beginning of the episode? It looked like a cross between pajamas and the most unflattering mom jeans ever.

Once again, we are supposed to believe that Liza knows nothing about the world in 2018 (or 2016 or whatever the fuck year we're supposed to believe that they are in now on the show). She uses IG but doesn't know what DMs are? Do the writers want us to think that she's a complete moron? Or are we supposed to believe that Kelsey and Molly have never shared other people's IG posts with Liza in DMs? I just can't with this idiotic "Liza is too old to get technology" stuff.

Dude, the company is late with payroll? I don't know what the laws in New York are, but I remember someone in HR (at my company in California) said that at her old job, they couldn't make payroll and the authorities chained the doors shut. I don't remember the details, but I guess if you can't pay your employees within X amount of time, they can close you down.

When Charles was looking through the info LL Moore's investigators dug up on Liza, one article said that she got married in 1996 and then there was a photo of her coaching an under 10 soccer team which I initially assumed was her daughter's until I realized that the soccer picture said 1997.

When one of the OMG things on Charles' list about Liza is that "she has been married," I just rolled my eyes. So have you, you fucking hypocrite. She's your employee but she's not required to disclose her marital status to you. His entire pity party conversation with his lawyer friend annoyed me, particularly when he said he was ready to break up his family for Liza. Uh, no, dude. That's not what happened at all. Your wife abandoned you and your children before you even met Liza. Pauline already broke up your family.

I wish I could care about Josh's broken heart, but I'm just glad that we don't have to see Claire anymore!

1. YES. My lord, those things were unflattering. 

2. I don't think it was the fact that she had been married that bothered him, it was the lies. He saw Liza in a completely different way; it's going to take him some time to adjust to what he now knows to be the truth. It may seem weird, I mean Liza is still basically the same person, but you form opinions about people based on the story they tell you, and when that story turns out to be false, it can mess things up in your mind.

I actually enjoyed the conversation between Charles and his friend - it gave some verbal acknowledgement of Charles' feelings, which I have been waiting for. I like that he discussed it with a friend and is trying to sort things out in his head.

3. I feel bad for Josh, but I'm definitely fine with not seeing Claire again!

Were Liza and her husband that big of a deal or did the Bergen Country Star-Ledger just not have anything else to write about? Surprised they got a blurb about their wedding in the paper.

I'm confused. Did Charles' wife pronounce her son's name weirdly or misgender her daughter? Because I swear she said "Nicole" and then "him." Her character is such a downer. I could not care less about their marital drama at this point. The actress isn't pulling off this guileless wishy-washy thing well. I would rather have her be conniving. 

I was like why is Liza running to see Josh? I totally forgot Kelsey is still living with him. 

I do not believe Liza just learned what DMs are. Worth it though for the joke later about Diana sliding into Lauren's DMs. Miriam is a gift. 

LOL, how did Charles have that whole conversation with his friend/lawyer and never mention Liza's name or any identifying details that would make him even slightly suspicious?

I'll catch up with you... okay, coffee shop? Um... what? There are so many coffee shops in the city. How would Liza know where to meet them?

Loved the cornflower blue nail polish that Liza was sporting but it was a little weird that it was so close to the color of the blazer of the woman from Reese Witherspoon's company.

Eyeroll at Ada Lovelace. Does everyone only know the same 50 names of important women in history?

Kelsey continues to yell at Charles. I get being forceful at work but this feels more like TV dramatics.

That was so vague. So Clare is not going to try to immigrate through marriage anymore?

Liza's outfit with the twist-tie sleeveless top, high-waisted skirt, and the hat was ADORABLE. On the other hand WHAT was that nonsense Kelsey was wearing with the red stripe? Was Hillary Duff pregnant during this season? I cannot explain her unflattering outfits.

Oh, sure. Charles can be honest with his ex-wife. 

That joke with Maggie being part of the tour reminds me of the bit on Difficult People where the two main characters play New York stereotypes for bus tours. DP did it better.

6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Were Liza and her husband that big of a deal or did the Bergen Country Star-Ledger just not have anything else to write about? Surprised they got a blurb about their wedding in the paper.

Wedding announcements are common in most newspapers.  And often include photos of the couple.  There was a whole Friends episode about getting the photos for their wedding announcement. It's a thing almost everywhere.