Type keyword(s) to search

iSpoilers & Speculation

I think 13 eps is just enough. If they get too many like most shows, it just becomes a bunch of filler episodes until the sweeps episodes and the final few eps. 

Having the last episode focus on Blaine and Major was a mistake. Because Blaine was never fleshed out as a character and Major has been boring and stupid for most of the season. So having the big show down be between them was not that interesting to me. I think the big mistake was making Blaine too evil too quickly without making him much of character first. The Big Bad should've been the drink company that made the zombies in the first place. They should've had a zombie hunter that was taking out random zombies. That would've given Blaine and Liv a common enemy. Blaine still could've slowly started his brains for sale business. But maybe instead of making all those zombies they should've let him find some too. They made it seem like Liv and Blaine were the only ones until Blaine started turning everyone he met into zombies. 

I think a nice nod to the comics would've been having Liv meet a gravedigger zombie named Gwen, who could've told her she used to work at Max Rager or something to start the mystery off. I would've rather had Liv solving murders while also looking into the energy drink company. 

After seeing a repeat of the first episode knowing where the season ended, it's clear that they had some trouble with even a short season.

I think the main problem is that they were trying to work out the kinks: Major's character arc, Blaine as the villain, Clive basically being a cardboard cutout with a badge, etc.  There are some fun character moments though, but the finale was sort of underwhelming with what they focused on.

(edited)
I'd rather have a short, good season than a long, crappy one. Like Empire—or even Z Nation. Always leave them wanting more!

I wouldn't call this season very well-plotted, TBH. It felt like not enough happened, everything was a bit too slow. This is why I want 22 episodes so characters could get some much needed exploration during case of the week episodes. I mean, even the season finale had a victim of the week (and I'm not sure why it was needed, really). The only characters who got some exploration/development were Liv and Major. I don't necessarily object to 13-episode runs (or even shorter), but I don't think it's such a good model for this show because too much time is wasted on crime procedural stuff. However, some of this stuff is still funny and interesting so I don't mind it - the "Liv getting a dead person's quirks" element is a great find - I just want the show to get a bit deeper than it was this year.

I think the big mistake was making Blaine too evil too quickly without making him much of character first.

Yeah, I definitely agree.

I feel like what the show needs to do is make the procedural stuff work for the characters. Blaine, Ravi and Clive need centrics, preferably fast. Either connect their backstories to the murder of the week or create a thematic parallel of some sort.

They should've had a zombie hunter that was taking out random zombies.

I'm sure it'll happen at some point. A zombie hunting person/organization is too juicy a narrative to be ignored, I think. Major was headed in this direction but didn't quite make it, although in the future, who knows.

I think the main problem is that they were trying to work out the kinks: Major's character arc, Blaine as the villain, Clive basically being a cardboard cutout with a badge, etc.

A lot of effort was clearly put into making Major likable and root-worthy (to the expense of other characters, I think). I mean, clearly it worked for many people - some seem to prefer Major over Liv (something I really can't understand, but whatever), but it's been a disappointment for me.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I don't really love the idea of a team up, though agreed it is inevitable. Blaine just sort of steals the evil show. It's like evil comedy relief. I'm not sure how excited I am to see him and Liv together in the main plot.

Depends on if the reason Liv has to tolerate him is good enough. If it's not, then yeah. But if it's good... I'm willing to adopt the wait and see approach. At least the actors have good chemistry (and are good at their job). So at least it will be fun.

Entertainment Weekly Spoiler Room: Spoiler Room: Scoop on Once, Arrow, Blacklist and more

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/17/spoiler-room-scoop-once-upon-a-time-arrow-blacklist-and-more

Anything iZombie would be great! — Jennifer
Maybe Major is trying to live life to the fullest after his near-death experience, but he’s going about it in all the wrong ways. I hear not only does he off a zombie in the premiere, but he’s also snorting Utopium in the second outing.

Ugg, Major is still the weak point in this show for me. I am not interested watching him become Riley from Buffy by doing drugs. I really hope his screen time is limited in S2. I have nothing against the actor, he seems like a nice guy but he just doesn't have any charisma on screen for me. 

• Love 3

It's funny. Major doesn't bother me, although I can see why he bothers other people. He's so mayonnaise that I guess I just take him as a commentary on the square-jawed, well, major lilywhite hero. OTOH, I'm sure the actor who plays Blaine is a lovely person, but his character is like nails on a blackboard for me.

• Love 2

First "Grumpy Old Liv," now "Zombie Bro"? Will season 2 be entirely driven by "which stereotype should Liv be this week?"

Racist Liv was not funny; hopefully fratboy Liv will be better. I noticed they dressed Liv in short skirts rather than 70-year-old-man clothes, though. So it's "keep Liv looking hot, but have her say outrageous things."

Racist Liv was not funny; hopefully fratboy Liv will be better. I noticed they dressed Liv in short skirts rather than 70-year-old-man clothes, though. So it's "keep Liv looking hot, but have her say outrageous things."

It makes sense to me. She isn't going to buy new clothes each time she eats a new brain. She has to wear what she has

Spoilers:

Picking the Brains of "iZombie" Showrunners Thomas & Ruggiero-Wright About Season 2 http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/picking-the-brains-of-izombie-showrunners-thomas-ruggiero-wright-about-season-2

The next three brains are a Real Housewife, a country singer, and a basketball coach. Later (in no particular order): a gambling addict, a magician, and a stalker.

Mr. Boss (the crime lord of Seattle) is played by Eddie Jemison, who's one of those "hey, it's that guys." I know him as Ronnie the dermatologist on Hung.

Peyton gets tapped by the DA to head the Utopian Task Force.

Liv's brother & mom don't appear until episode 6 or 7.

It's my first time in this forum so forgive me if someone has already posted this but hear me out. Does anyone else want to see the show release a cookbook based off of Liv's brain recipes? Substitute ground beef or diced chicken for the brains (Or not, calf brains are available) and I'd love to try some of those dishes.

• Love 2

Brains are actually pretty good if you're not squeamish (I went to cooking school for a while, and we had to learn offal. Also, my nonna used them in her ravioli stuffing).

The problem is, they contain something like a quarter of the cholesterol in the body, even though they're only 2% of body weight. Not something you'd want to eat much of if you, say, didn't need it to keep from turning into a mindless undead creature :)

• Love 1

The problem is, they contain something like a quarter of the cholesterol in the body, even though they're only 2% of body weight. Not something you'd want to eat much of if you, say, didn't need it to keep from turning into a mindless undead creature :)

Hee. Then it's a fortunate thing for Liv that peppers (especially hot ones) help lower cholesterol.

It also helps that she's undead, and fictional.

• Love 2

If the emergency cure turns someone human and wipes their memories of being a zombie, I wonder if the cure will be used to restore many, many zombies to humanity.  The zombies Major has put on ice and the ones getting brains from Blaine's operation, say.

(edited)

I predict that Chase Graves is behind everything - not just the mysterious deaths (Wexler, Tuttles, Vivian), but the formula for Max Rager that caused the zombie outbreak will be revealed to have been a government funded experiment which the Fillmore Graves and Max Rager was involved.  This would explain why Ravi is having such a hard time coming up with the cure - they contaminated only that batch of drinks which were meant for FG soldiers, and it wasn't meant for anyone else.

Edited by Avatar19
On 6/17/2015 at 1:27 PM, Sakura12 said:

I think 13 eps is just enough. If they get too many like most shows, it just becomes a bunch of filler episodes until the sweeps episodes and the final few eps.

Ooh yes.  I hate when this happens.  I see it a lot on Supernatural, where they always have a major story arc or two, but between servicing those, they have a lot... too many if you ask me.. of Monster of the Week episodes.  After 12 seasons, those get repetitive.... how many variations on vampires, werewolves, witches, et. al., can you do?

16 hours ago, Avatar19 said:

I predict that Chase Graves is behind everything - not just the mysterious deaths (Wexler, Tuttles, Vivian), but the formula for Max Rager that caused the zombie outbreak will be revealed to have been a government funded experiment which the Fillmore Graves and Max Rager was involved.  This would explain why Ravi is having such a hard time coming up with the cure - they contaminated only that batch of drinks which were meant for FG soldiers, and it wasn't meant for anyone else.

I'd think Ravi and large interdisciplinary teams of researchers working non stop in state of the art labs might have difficulty bringing the dead back to life. I think Ravi is doing well to have found the cure, even if he is short of supplies :-) Magically well!

I dunno, though, a lot of the stuff got out into the general public early and you'd have to be a total asshole to change children. We know the boat party was an accident of energy drink meets contaminated drug that gives everyone the idea. so it seems to me that Rager started the testing of supersoldiers. FG was involved because Graves (the original ceo) was one of Major's targets....but that was after FG was transformed into Zombies....yeah, possible, still a few things to find out about. 

Anyone know if we will get any resolution with Liv's family.  I'm doing a rewatch....and I don't remember anything with her family, after she refused to give blood for her brother.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LadyChaos said:

Anyone know if we will get any resolution with Liv's family.  I'm doing a rewatch....and I don't remember anything with her family, after she refused to give blood for her brother.

Funny you should ask that. In a recent interview with Rose:

Now that the humans of iZombie‘s Seattle know about zombies, any chance Liv will be able to reunite with her mother and brother? —Dina
“We have so many storylines that we are servicing in this show, and we have so many regulars with their own storylines, that it hasn’t made sense quite yet for that to be a focal story point,” star Rose McIver said when we visited the show’s set. “But it’s definitely hovering there. I hope we come back to that soon. I am fascinated by Liv’s dad, who he is…. There was talk about trying to bring it in this season, but it’s been such a dense plot. I think the writers have focused, at the moment, on what’s going on in wider Seattle.”

So basically, the show is too busy with its 100 other plotlines to bring back Liv's mother and brother. I guess they're too obsessed with Blaine to think of a plotline for Liv's family to make a return, despite this being the perfect time. Liv's basically a MacGuffin on her own show, to basically just be the comedic part of being a zombie, while everyone else gets things to develop them as characters.

Personally, I'm a bit annoyed by that. Now that zombies are known, can we at least get a line about Liv reconnecting with her family? Because it's BS if they still haven't connected after the big Z reveal. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Funny you should ask that. In a recent interview with Rose:

So basically, the show is too busy with its 100 other plotlines to bring back Liv's mother and brother. I guess they're too obsessed with Blaine to think of a plotline for Liv's family to make a return, despite this being the perfect time. Liv's basically a MacGuffin on her own show, to basically just be the comedic part of being a zombie, while everyone else gets things to develop them as characters.

Personally, I'm a bit annoyed by that. Now that zombies are known, can we at least get a line about Liv reconnecting with her family? Because it's BS if they still haven't connected after the big Z reveal. 

Or she could be swerving us...

I saw the description for episode 5, airing on the 26th.  It says the victim is a hockey player.  Oh boy!  Liv as a hockey player!  I can't wait for the wacky hijinx that will ensue.  Maybe there will be a lot of aggressive machismo and some hockey with improvised equipment.

20 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I saw the description for episode 5, airing on the 26th.  It says the victim is a hockey player.  Oh boy!  Liv as a hockey player!  I can't wait for the wacky hijinx that will ensue.  Maybe there will be a lot of aggressive machismo and some hockey with improvised equipment.

I guess that's the one where she seems to be missing a tooth.