Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Y Not

(edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 6:44 PM, Ottis said:

However, it's a mirror reflecting a specific thing to the exclusion of all else. 

I think a show about misogyny,  rape culture, and female bodies,  should be allowed to focus on misogyny, rape culture and female bodies -- and (as is the case with series starring male leads) I think the show is just staying focused on the story at hand; the journey of a fat woman through a landscape brutally hostile to her needs, desires and humanity.  It's not called "What About Chubby Men and Fat Kids and Everybody Else and Their Weight  Issues?" ; ) - it unapologetically stars a fat woman, in a storyline about being fat,  in which the fat woman is not going to lose weight to get the guy, but instead embrace her body to win herself. 

And - if the show is going where it looks to be going -  then the fat chick is going to be a badass, reject the opinions of a world that hates her, and be radicalized to her own beauty and power. All of which is as uncompromising as tv has ever gotten for fat women (or thin women, come to think of it; I can't remember a tv show in which a healthy contempt for the opinion of the world drove multiple female characters).

So diluting that story by making it a story about something completely different (b/c fat men and fat women do not share the same level of rejection/hatred, never mind misogyny) does not make sense to me. (I would happily watch a show about fat men and their path, btw.)

Patriarchy does not equal misogyny.

I've never seen/read about a patriarchal culture that did not also include misogyny -- do you have a specific culture you're referencing?  (eta: on re-reading, that sounded snarky, but I'm asking sincerely/not being snotty). As to the show itself, I think the universe of Dietland makes a very compelling case that patriarchy and misogyny are tightly entwined. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

Even if I was for vigilanty justice and the death penalty (which I'm both against), I would never throw somebody out of a plane. I don't know how Jennifer justifies this to themselves. Do you know what happens if a person falls on another from that height? They are both dead, not just the alledged rapist you were trying to kill, but also an innocent pedestrian. That scenario isn't even unlikely in a place as crowded as New York. The body at the beginning of the episode fell like 10cm away from two people.

• Love 3