Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: #LizaToo

Bort

On 6/7/2018 at 3:10 AM, voiceover said:

I get that there is a thru-line for the faux-George Martin sl, but for what this series is supposed to be, it's too heavy a plot point.  If Darren means to embrace it, there's darkness involved -- PTSD, and possible death threats for the women involved (the man has a rabid fanbase).  If he doesn't, it's a cheap way to advance the plot & give only lip service to a story (sexual harassment) that deserves better.

And I don't like it in my midlife-crisis fairy tale.

As far as Sutton, and the masquerade believability...well, if this had been a network series with an average episode number, it would have been easier to pull off.  Two, maybe 2.5 seasons of fooling everybody, is two years' real time; no problem.  But now the run, with its limited number of episodes, has stretched out over *too much* real time.  

Bill Lawrence had to come up with a different premise for CougarTown, as soon as it was clear that Courtney Cox dating 20-somethings wasn't enough of a story.  This is not exactly the same, but I think the reveal should've been last year, and then let the series continue as the workplace/ relationship comedy that was always second to Liza's Big Secret.

The Big Secret is what killed Suits for me. Season after season they used it as a springboard for a story line. It's lazy writing. Speaking of...Younger writers have blatantly recycled plot points and characters from Sex and The City. Didn't Kelsey ask Liza to help remove her diaphragm in an early episode? They don't even try to pretend this show isn't SATC for millenials.

I've never bought Foster as anything but 40+. Hopefully once TBS is out the make-up crew can stop spackling Sutton's face with founDation and under eye brightener.

Even though they waited until the last minute for dramatic effect, I appreciated that they didn't make it so unrealistic. That is, Liza was willing to put aside her personal feelings for the good of Empirical but then she talked to the other Pam Pams and couldn't stay silent any longer. But unlike what another character might have done, she didn't explode the announcement and have all the Pam Pams make their allegations. She explained it all to Charles and let him make the (right) decision. This show can be very silly and the moral issues can get very murky (especially around Liza keeping her secret) so I appreciate that kind of writing. 

The big surprise being a switch of the ad was kind of lame. Also, how many books are they publishing at one time? Because it seems like right now it was only 2? Who else works at this company?

I was thinking that it would be cool to have another writer take over the Pam Pam chronicles. Maybe a female author who could make the story actually empowering to women. But I doubt Moore would let them have the rights. 

I guess I'm glad that Charles finally knows Liza's secret. But I hate that it's wrapped up in the Moore stuff. Also, Moore is an idiot. There are still tons of credible accusations and he's known for being a creep. Nothing he said in his late night meeting with Charles changed that. It just felt like a way to have a dramatic cliffhanger to end the episode.

Oddly enough, I thought Sutton looked lovelier and more youthful last night than she has for a while.  But the charade was going to have to end eventually.

I think Sutton is beautiful and I would love to have her body at any age. But yeah, there are some moments that really stretch credibility, especially since she's not afraid to mug or show that she has a face that moves. 

Count me in on not understanding the appeal of Zane. You're not writing SATC, guys. It's 2019 and he's gross and bad.

• Love 2
On 4/8/2019 at 11:30 PM, aradia22 said:

Even though they waited until the last minute for dramatic effect, I appreciated that they didn't make it so unrealistic. That is, Liza was willing to put aside her personal feelings for the good of Empirical but then she talked to the other Pam Pams and couldn't stay silent any longer. But unlike what another character might have done, she didn't explode the announcement and have all the Pam Pams make their allegations. She explained it all to Charles and let him make the (right) decision. This show can be very silly and the moral issues can get very murky (especially around Liza keeping her secret) so I appreciate that kind of writing. 

I guess I'm glad that Charles finally knows Liza's secret. But I hate that it's wrapped up in the Moore stuff. Also, Moore is an idiot. There are still tons of credible accusations and he's known for being a creep. Nothing he said in his late night meeting with Charles changed that. It just felt like a way to have a dramatic cliffhanger to end the episode.

I was glad that Charles made the decision to delay publication immediately. Regardless of what one might feel about his chemistry with and suitability for Liza, it showed that he is a good guy.

I think the way Moore started attacking the credibility of individual accusers was true to life. That’s exactly how people like Weinstein  handle similar accusations. If he can make several of them look less reliable, it will impact how people think about the entire group.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2018 at 3:16 PM, LuvMyShows said:

So the most absolutely disappointing part for me, is that each of the (3?) times that we have seen Charles and Liza kiss/make out, it has not been hot...at all.  They have a lot of chemistry when they aren't doing anything physical, but for whatever reason, they don't kiss well.  I remember telling my husband after seeing the making out in the office, that it looked they were acting like they were making out,..lots of moving arms and hands, but no actual chemistry.  I remember also being so disappointed in that kiss in the clothing store where Liza was working for awhile.  I have never seen either actor kiss any other actors, so I can't say whose "fault" it is, but their kisses just don't quite hit it.

What about Sutton kissing Nico?