Type keyword(s) to search

Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)

• Start Topic

The Mission Impossible movies are my secret guilty pleasures. I occasionally go to the theater to watch them because I like watching the stunts on the big screen. Of course, I usually go alone because I don't know anyone who likes these movies.

• Love 2
On 6/4/2018 at 8:09 PM, SimoneS said:

The Mission Impossible movies are my secret guilty pleasures.

I can't even keep my love secret anymore.  I get why Tom Cruise has turned people off but man, these movies are so much fun.  Other movies can have their CGI but nothing quite replaces him almost killing himself while filming these things.

Reviews for this so far have been terrific and I can't wait to see it....even if it means sneaking off to the theater by myself.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I can't even keep my love secret anymore.  I get why Tom Cruise has turned people off but man, these movies are so much fun.  Other movies can have their CGI but nothing quite replaces him almost killing himself while filming these things.

Reviews for this so far have been terrific and I can't wait to see it....even if it means sneaking off to the theater by myself.

At first, this one seemed way to dark and serious for me, but after hearing the early reviews, I'm in.  I can also understand why people don't like Tom Cruise, but I've liked a great deal of his movies because the man really commits to a role.  He doesn't do anything half way, so if a movie fails, chances are it has more to do with the script/story than him.

• Love 3

Mission: Impossible - Fallout is a load of fun. Feels a bit slow at times (though there's still loads of good fights and chases throughout), but that's mostly as they save most of the crazy stuff for the third act, which is one of the best third acts I've ever seen in a big-budget action movie.

Spoiler

I'm glad that McQuarrie realises the audience know Cavill is a mole from the start, and doesn't even try to hide it.

Baldwin's death didn't do much for me, but I'm glad he knew the "Ethan's gone rogue again" stuff was bullshit, and his few scenes are fun.

I really liked the Michelle Monaghan stuff. Nice wrap-up for her character, even if it lets Ethan off a bit too easy.

I might go see it again, on a bigger screen.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

I might go see it again, on a bigger screen.

Do you mean IMAX?  OR did you see it on a smaller screen to begin with?

I think I'm going to go see it on Friday. 

If Tom Cruise ever leaves Scientology to found a cult dedicated to the worship of this movie, I will be first in line to pledge my soul and all my worldly possessions.

• Love 3
(edited)

Loved it, loved it, loved it. 

Grittier than the past two. Didn't have the sleek glamour of Rogue Nation but that is not a complaint just an observation.

Has the emotional content of Ghost Protocol.

I gasped, I screamed, I was genuinely surprised. The ankle breaking moment was palpable.

There was a moment when I didn't know who or what to trust or believe and I loved that feeling.

The chase in London used that particular location so ehhhhm, geographically accurately and yet it was preposterous and impossible. Believable and impossible.

Just terrific.

Edited by MrsR
  • Love 4

We just got back and we all enjoyed it. I was right, it was darker and grittier than the others, but it was a great story with great action, so I didn't mind.  I think I had my eyes covered for most of the final act from the time he started climbing up the payload under the helicopter until he was finally back in his hospital bed.  In real life, I don't normally mind heights if I'm inside looking out or if there's a good sturdy handrail to hold onto at a ledge. But, walking along a cliff like that or hanging off of high things?  ::shudder::

Question:  The film itself seemed almost grainy and old.  Did you all experience the same thing or was it a beautiful, crystal clear image in your theaters?  We're trying to figure out if they shot it that way or if the movie theater got a bad copy.  I got used to it quickly, but it bugged my husband throughout the whole thing (while not taking away the enjoyment of the story itself)

• Love 3

I just came from the IMAX showing.

Spectacular. 

Not perfect, but still excellent. This series just gets better with every subsequent movie.

I genuinely got dizzy during the helicopter sequence.

Did Julia decide to go medical school in the interim in which we haven't seen her? Because I'm certain she was a NURSE, not a doctor when we first met her. 

I loved the mention of Max from the first film.

• Love 4
(edited)

I really am impressed over how consistently good the franchise continues to be.  This is certainly not a series that regresses or grows stale after each installment.

To bust out a old cliche, this truly was "edge of your seat" entertainment, because I was pretty much glued to the screen throughout it all.  Every action sequence was spectacular, every fight scene was brutal (I honestly was flinching at bit during some of the fistfights: especially the bathroom brawl), and every chase sequence was a thrill to watch.  I was curious since this was the first time the franchise kept a director on for more then one film, but damn, Christopher McQuarrie seems to be right at home in this series.

I definitely have my issues with Tom Cruise's real life beliefs and he is an actor with only a certain amount of range (although, I maintain that he actually has some good chops, when he's playing a more sinister character like he did in Magnolia and Collateral), but he continues to be the perfect Ethan Hunt, and show why he rises above other generic action heroes.  If nothing else, his committed to doing as many of the stunts as possible is impressive, even if can get overhyped at times in interviews/advertisements.

Henry Cavill was a good fit and certainly brought the physical badass persona to the show.  Even though it was shown in almost every teaser, the bathroom scene when Walker practically "cocks his arms" before throwing haymakers was all kinds of awesome.  Only downside was that after all the publicity, the infamous stache (that some practically blamed Justice League's failures on), was just OK.  I was expecting vintage Tom Selleck, dammit!

Luther and Benji were fun as always, and Ilsa Faust continues to be a fascinating character.  Rebecca Ferguson really is becoming one of my favorites.

Fun seeing Vanessa Kirby in another role besides Princess Margaret on The Crown.

Enjoyed how they worked in Julia again, and I'm fine with it being her sendoff, since it seems like both she and Ethan moved on.  Pleasantly surprised her husband ended up not being part of The Apostles, since I thought that was where they were heading when they got a recognizable face like Wes Bentley to play him.

Not sure what to make of Hunley's death.  Will Sloan/Angela Bassett be taking over as the new leader?

I really want to know if the IMF simply asked Wolf Blitzer if they could scan his face for their con or, what I personally would love to believe: Ethan and crew broke into CNN headquarters and had to do it the hard way!

I do have to give props to the Fake Lark, because he had both Ethan and Walker on the ropes, and probably would have killed them if Ilsa didn't show up.

Definitely one of my favorite action films this year and a contender for the best of the franchise.  I think I enjoyed it more then Rogue Nation (which I still really liked), but I need to rewatch Ghost Protocol, because I remember loving that one quite a bit.  Either way, if they keep this kind of quality up, this is a franchise I would actually be quite happy with not ending anytime soon.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 9

Dang, this was good.  I can see why it was getting so many good reviews.  Best MI film in awhile, all things considered. 

For a film that almost lasted 3 hours, there were very few filler scenes.  It was pretty much good dialog and action throughout the entire movie.  The cinematography was outstanding.  Just a great all around action-adventure film.

Easily the best film I have seen so far this summer.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I really am impressed over how consistently good the franchise continues to be.  This is certainly not a series that regresses or grows stale after each installment.

It's really surprising to me since I thought the first one was just "meh" and the second one was terrible. The third one changed that and the series has been great ever since.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Did you all experience the same thing or was it a beautiful, crystal clear image in your theaters? 

I thought the image quality was pretty terrific in my screening.  My theater has different levels including a standard showing, a 4K screen showing with surround sound and 3D.  I saw it on the 4K screen. I don't know if that makes a difference.  Bulbs are expensive so I wonder if the bulb at your theater was just going bad but they haven't replaced it yet.

I think I liked Rogue Nation a little bit more than this one because it was more unexpected.  Part of that is on me because I probably followed the making of this more than I've followed any of the others.  Not a ton of stuff but enough to know what stunts would be done.  Plus, it had the Opera scene which is one of my favorite scenarios in film.  Plus, we didn't know who Isla was in the first one which helped create tension.  With this, ultimately, we knew that the franchise viewed her as part of Ethan's team even though she's not technically part of his team and is even at odds with him.

But even if this didn't quite hold the delightful surprise of RN for me, I still thought it was pretty terrific.  The stunt that I ended up appreciating the most was the motorcycle chase through Paris (although the London chase had the right amount of humor).  The motorcycle chase in Rogue Nation was my least favorite stunt in the film but adding traffic going the opposite way with the cobblestones and roundabouts was a perfect way to up the ante. 

The helicopter finale was gorgeous.  And the hospital scene was a nice emotional wrap up.  It'd be a good ending for the series and yet I wonder if they can since they keep getting better.  Then again, it'd be hard to top this critical acclaim.

I was curious since this was the first time the franchise kept a director on for more then one episode, but damn, Christopher McQuarrie seems to be right at home in this series.

McQuarrie and Tom seem to have a good collab going on.  I heard today (and I'm not sure if it's true) that McQuarrie reportedly did some script doctoring for Ghost Protocol.  They also did Edge of Tomorrow which I liked a lot even though I'm not much of a sci fi fan. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

I honestly was flinching at bit during some of the fistfights: especially the bathroom brawl)

So was I.

50 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I thought the first one was just "meh" and the second one was terrible. The third one changed that and the series has been great ever since.

I am officially literally the only person in the world who loves the second movie.

I liked the first, it was just so friggin confusing. Literally every ten minutes, I had to explain what was going on to the people I was seeing it with.

• Love 1

I was so excited to see this movie, and I really enjoyed it. This franchise is pretty much the only version of Tom Cruise I’ll watch consistently. I loved the action and the stunts (even as I was distracted by everyone gasping and groaning almost in unison in my theater) — and yes, that bathroom scene was brutal, even having seen half of it in trailers. I caught onto most of the twists ahead of time, but it was still fun watching them play out. And watching Henry Cavill and his mustache be covertly and then overtly evil was even more delightful than I was expecting. Sloan seems a good choice to step in for Hunley, and Angela Bassett is having a great year in that type of role. I also liked the wrap up for Julia’s story (even if it seems to have slightly retconned the end of Ghost Protocol, at least for me). 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Bulbs are expensive so I wonder if the bulb at your theater was just going bad but they haven't replaced it yet.

That's the thing, though, we were watching it in the expensive, still pretty new Dolby theater.  It is possible, though, that they need to change some equipment already. I can imagine showing multiple movies a day, every day of the week can make things go bad faster.  Oh well, like I said, I got used to it quick and my husband still enjoyed the story, even if the quality bugged him.

@thuganomics85, it was all kinds of awesome when he cocked his arms like that!  I don't think he's bigger than he was in Superman, but something about him in that bathroom fight scene made him look huge (in a good way :)

• Love 1

They gave away that Walker was John Lark so early, I kept looking for another twist, Like Hunley was Lark, or something. But no, they played it pretty straight. I was proud that I guessed that Benji was the one left in the cell and the whole bit was a trap for Walker. And that bit was just a wamup for the climax. Second favorite Cruise movie ever, only behind Edge of Tomorrow.

• Love 5
(edited)
On July 12, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Irlandesa said:

Reviews for this so far have been terrific and I can't wait to see it....even if it means sneaking off to the theater by myself

I'll be with you in spirit ... invisible and in secret. Honestly, the more I hear of Cruise's insistence on doing these stunts himself, the more I think he's ... missing an expensive bulb in his Dolby projector, but I can't even bring myself to care. These movies are straight-up fun, even if I think the automated parking garage fight in Ghost Protocol was the most ridiculous thing ever, and I sort of mostly don't remember what happened in Rogue Nation. I might even go tomorrow.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sandman said:

the more I think he's ... missing an expensive bulb in his Dolby projector, but I cant' even bring myself to care. These movie are straight-up fun, even if I think the automated parking garage fight in Ghost Protocol was the most ridiculous thing ever, and I sort of mostly don't remember what happened in Rogue Nation.

Yeah, I think Tom is kind of like a working robot.  He should stop trying to mimic being human.

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

That's the one where he's dangling off the Burj Khalifa.

You're thinking of Ghost ProtocolRogue Nation's main stunts/events were at the Vienna Opera House, the underwater swirley thing, a motorcycle race and the mask switching at the prime minister's place.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I found this video of James Corden and Tom skydiving kind of fun.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

All your comments make me want to see this movie even more. I have my issues with Cruise as well, but I love the MI franchise now. Oddly enough, I didn't really LOVE it until Ghost Protocol. I agree I think it's gotten better with each installment, but I personally still like GP better than Rogue Nation. I think it's the above referenced emotional content, which is important for me in any franchise. If you don't have an emotional attachment to the characters, it doesn't matter what happens to them, and if it doesn't matter what happens, there's no point in watching IMO. So, good to hear Fallout has some emotional beats.

And can I just say, I think Sean Harris makes a truly fascinating villain. I guess I'm watching an afternoon showing tomorrow(couldn't make it today) and will come back afterwards to post my thoughts on it.

I wish 

Spoiler

Henry Cavill weren't playing a villain, though. Oh, well.

• Love 1
(edited)

This definitely one of the best Mission Impossible movies, maybe 2nd best. I loved it. The action, humor, and emotion all hit the right notes. I loved all the fights (even the brutal ones, especially the bathroom one) and the stunts even though they were neverending and exhausting at times. I totally fell for the con they ran on Walker until I realized it was Benji in the chair.

Kudos to Tom Cruise. He is out there, but damn he is excellent as Ethan Hunt. I hope he is never seriously injured doing those crazy ass stunts that are so freaking entertaining. Kudos to his cosmetic surgeon also. Whoever it is, does just enough work to remove Tom's wrinkles without making him completely unrecognizable.

I love the IMF team. They have great chemistry and are good friends who care about each other. Ilsa is a strong addition. I hope that we see Max's children again. They were entertaining. 

The only misstep for me was giving Julia a husband instead of a child with Ethan. He needs that vulnerability and a child would also anchor him to the world outside of the intrigue and danger.

Henry Cavill will always be a good looking stupid man with no charisma. I just don't get it. Terrible as Superman, terrible villain. Ick. I gasped along with everyone in theater at the brutality of Walker's death, but it was a relief for him to the gone, never to return

Alex Balwin's Hunley is the second dead IMF director in how many years? Sloan should think twice before taking that job, but it will be good to see Angela Bassett in the role.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Rule 32 for the movie: I love, love, love that Ilsa finished choking out Lane before rescuing Benji. Lifeguard principle in play. Pro's pro, right there.

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

You're thinking of Ghost Protocol.

D'oh!

• Love 5
20 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

All your comments make me want to see this movie even more. I have my issues with Cruise as well, but I love the MI franchise now. Oddly enough, I didn't really LOVE it until Ghost Protocol. I agree I think it's gotten better with each installment, but I personally still like GP better than Rogue Nation.

MI3 was the first one I saw, which I really liked, but I agree that GP was when sparks flew for me with this franchise. It’s still my favorite, but Fallout is probably going to be a very close second, the more times I see it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just saw this and I haven't been following the Mission Impossible franchise very closely but I really liked this movie and it was fun. The only thing that I have to say that once Walker tried to frame Hunt I knew that he was the real John Lurk. Other than that it was a fun movie and as far as spy movies go it was great watching it. Although, I still don't buy Cruise as an action star but that has been my opinion my whole life but watching him do those stunts (and I heard he got injured on some) was interesting and fun to watch. 

Overall, Cruise, Pegg, and Rhames all have great chemistry together and that is what, IMO, made the movie for me. Ferguson's character was okay but I understand that her character was there more likely because they are setting up her character to be Hunt's new love interest in later films (well, she actually is the love interest but they did have a small nod to Hunt's first wife that he still has feelings for).  

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
On 7/28/2018 at 2:41 AM, Camille said:

So was I.

I am officially literally the only person in the world who loves the second movie.

I liked the first, it was just so friggin confusing. Literally every ten minutes, I had to explain what was going on to the people I was seeing it with.

I loved the second one too.  It’s basically an action rip off of Hitchcock’s Notorious, and I enjoyed it.  But Rogue Nation was my ultimate favorite.  Fallout is definitely going to be a close second.  

I’m glad Julia got a happy send off. It would have been terrible for Julia/Ethan to stay in limbo unable to be together or move on.   Ilsa is basically my favorite.   Whatever happened to Jeremy Renner’s character?  

• Love 1
On 7/28/2018 at 1:48 AM, WritinMan said:

It's really surprising to me since I thought the first one was just "meh" and the second one was terrible. The third one changed that and the series has been great ever since.

I remember walking at the end of the first film angry because they killed Ethan’s team in the first act.

What made the show so much fun beside the plastic masks and elaborate plans to beat the bad guys, it is the team working together using their individual strengths.

So when MI2 came out, I boycotted it and to this day have not seen a second of it.

JJ brought me back with MI3 and I finally flat out love this franchise.

While Walker was obviously evill what with that mustache, I live his exasperation with Ethan and Lane.

Great summer film.

• Love 2

Saw M:I 1-3, enjoyed 3 but skipped 4 and 5 but saw Fallout for Cavill. A little bummed that he ended up the villain but he seemed to enjoy himself as the evil double agent that got a hell of a brutal death of a send off so I guess I'm good with it. I'd love an outtake of after the helicopter explosion they CGI in a streak of red/blue shooting past Ethan and zooming off into the horizon.

Cavill was so physically impressive that all I could think about during fight scenes was no way you're beating Superman and yet when Walker got his ass handed to him twice in the bathroom brawl- I mean at one point Walker was flat on his ass taken out- I laughed. Walker poking his head out to see who was shooting in the bathroom and seeing Ilsa gave him another funny moment. I feel like they should've let Cavill gave more funny moments b/c there were times when playing into the takes things too seriously big dumb but strong ox idea worked for him. 

19 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I remember walking at the end of the first film angry because they killed Ethan’s team in the first act.

I was all ready for Kristen Scott Thomas to get her spy on and then Sarah got gutted! With all the mask technology I feel like she should get another shot and there be a MI movie that involves ghosts of Ethan's past coming back to haunt him. KST easily could play a great villain that's always steps ahead of Hunt mentally. Cavill actually would've made her a great henchman/Hammer but if Chris Hemsworth wanted to get back into Thor shape, he'd work too. 

• Love 1
(edited)

When the time comes to reboot the MI franchise, they should choose Chris Hemsworth to play Ethan Hunt. He has the physicality and great comedic timing to make the role work after Cruise.

I love Ghost Protocol and consider it the best movie in the franchise. Too bad Paula Patton is no long part of the team. I liked her character a lot, more than IIsa. I don't miss Jeremy Remy because I barely can tolerate him as an actor in any role.

Fallout is definitely 2nd on my list. The movie will stick with me for a long time.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Whatever happened to Jeremy Renner’s character?  

Renner's Avengers 4 commitment made it impossible for him to be in this one, per McQuarrie. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw Fallout last night. It could easily compete for the top position in any ranking of the six films. While it took a while to get going, the movie never let up for one second once the Paris chase scene started. The final part of the movie -- Ethan dangling from the helicopter/the helicopter chase/Benji and Ilsa duking it out with Lane/Ethan and Walker/Lark duking it out on the precipice -- left my palms sweaty!

My one quibble with the movie was with the relative lack of humor. I especially missed the Cruise-Pegg 'Hope and Crosby' antics from movies past. But, then, when they did feature that (during the London chase scenes), the humor felt weird coming in the immediate aftermath of Hunley's death.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:16 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Enjoyed how they worked in Julia again, and I'm fine with it being her sendoff, since it seems like both she and Ethan moved on.  Pleasantly surprised her husband ended up not being part of The Apostles, since I thought that was where they were heading when they got a recognizable face like Wes Bentley to play him.

Yes, I thought the same thing. Considering a "name" like Wes Bentley was playing the part, I thought for sure he was going to interrupt Luther and Julia and reveal he was an Apostle. Strange to see Bentley in this kind of part when any generic middle-aged character actor could have played it. Still, good to see Wes Bentley working and looking healthy.

Like other posters have written, this is the rare franchise that has improved with age. One of the things I respect about this franchise is that the powers-that-be aren't afraid of introducing new characters and then keeping them for the long haul when they work (Benji in III, Ilsa in Rogue Nation). They're also not afraid of rotating characters in-and-out of the series. (Even Ving Rhames, who has been with the series since the beginning, took a breather at one point.)

Finally, kudos to all concerned for including four strong parts for women. In a genre like this, you're lucky if you get one! 

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 2
(edited)

Next one Ethan Hunt has to go to space.

I can't run two blocks without stopping and needing a breath, so Tom's constant running is always impressive to me.

Vanessa Kirby being the daughter of Vanessa Redgrave's character from the first movie was a neat bit of continuity.

From last January:

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)

If there's a seventh, I'd love for him to have to rescue the unknown son or daughter that he had with Nyah. If they could reach all the way back to the first film in this one, they could certainly go back to the second in the next.

Technically, we got a call back to the second film in this one with Ethan's rock-climbing.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 1
(edited)

Okay, so. I was really excited to see this, but I guess the fact that almost all the critics loved it should have been a tip off that I would be let down. I think everyone just looked and acted bored, and tired. The things that are advantages to having a franchise with mostly the same characters, can also be disadvantages.  I like the characters, but "stale" is the best word I have for it all. During Ghost Protocol, the rumor was that Jeremy Renner was being groomed as Tom Cruise's replacement as lead. Sorry to the person up above who mentioned Chris Hemsworth-but a big NO to that for me. CH cannot act. At all. Let him have his Marvel universe and stay away from anything I'm actually going to watch.

But Jeremy Renner at the time would have been great. I don't know what happened-if it was never in the works, if it was but Tom changed his mind, whatever. It never happened, and Jeremy wasn't in this one (supposedly due to his schedule).  And it's not just that the characters are getting stale-it's that Ethan Hunt is now falling into that "superhero" like trap where he is indestructible. He's NOT Superman(no pun intended because of Henry Cavill).

And I think that's what bothers me most. How many times can we see him escape death and it be believable ? We are told it's basically a suicide mission, yet only one "good guy" dies ? I was expecting Benji to die in the scene with Ilsa and Lane, honestly. THAT would have been appropriate and shocking but realistic. Yes, I know it's a spy movie and spy movies are unrealistic from the get go. But that line from Julia about being able to sleep at night because she knew Ethan was somewhere in the world stopping evil ? True eye rolling moment.

The stunts themselves weren't even impressive to me. One of the franchise best, will always be Ethan scaling that hotel in Mumbai with nothing but a glove. Everything else will always pale in comparison for me.

I wanted to like it-I was all set to gush. But honestly, that "oh I want to see it again" that I was hoping to have, that I *did* have with GP and RN, just wasn't there. I was more entertained by the "Glass" preview. Now THAT made me smile. And I don't even like Sam Jackson or Bruce Willis, but seeing them with James McAvoy ? It's going to be awesomeness. I hope.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3

I liked it ok, but really don't understand the hype over it everywhere.

The action was great no doubt, but I gotta think it works better for people who have seen the previous movies, (I haven't) because did not care about the plot or characters. 

Plus no matter how hard I try, every time I see Tom Cruise I immediately remember the Scientology and Katie Holmes stuff. He is always Tom Cruise, never a character for me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dkb said:

but I gotta think it works better for people who have seen the previous movies, (I haven't)

You can watch Rogue Nation and Fallout as one movie since so many of the characters and so much of the plot recur from the first movie to the second.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Jan Spears said:

You can watch Rogue Nation and Fallout as one movie since so many of the characters and so much of the plot recur from the first movie to the second.

Rogue Nation should be watched just for two reasons: 1)Rebecca Ferguson and 2) Alec Baldwin's epic speech about Ethan Hunt being the "living manifestation of destiny".

• Love 5
On 7/29/2018 at 11:03 PM, SimoneS said:

When the time comes to reboot the MI franchise ...

Is this just expected now? Everything will eventually get a reboot or remake, or, worse, a "reimagining"?

17 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Is this just expected now? Everything will eventually get a reboot or remake, or, worse, a "reimagining"?

Hollywood has been rebooting movies since the beginning, some closer to previous ones than others.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Hollywood has been rebooting movies since the beginning, some closer to previous ones than others.

No doubt remakes have been around for a long time, but it feels to me that there is more of an expectation, almost a sense of inevitability, that any profitable property will eventually be recycled. And the frequency and pace of remakes appears to be increasing. I can't help feeling there's a certain cynicism about it. (I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since this franchise was itself based -- too loosely, according to some die-hard fans of the show -- on a middling-successful/cult television show.)

On 8/1/2018 at 1:25 PM, Sandman said:

No doubt remakes have been around for a long time, but it feels to me that there is more of an expectation, almost a sense of inevitability, that any profitable property will eventually be recycled. And the frequency and pace of remakes appears to be increasing. I can't help feeling there's a certain cynicism about it. (I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since this franchise was itself based -- too loosely, according to some die-hard fans of the show -- on a middling-successful/cult television show.)

Speaking of movies being made, what about that Top Gun sequel flick with Tom? That is still in works, right? If it is still in development, they should hire Ian Armitage from Young Sheldon as his son. It would be perfect casting! 

On 7/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, TVSpectator said:

Ferguson's character was okay but I understand that her character was there more likely because they are setting up her character to be Hunt's new love interest in later films (well, she actually is the love interest but they did have a small nod to Hunt's first wife that he still has feelings for). 

While there's certainly an undercurrent of potential romance, I think the reason she's back has more to do with the breakout reception she received in MI: Rogue Nation.  She presents a different dynamic than who usually surrounds Ethan and the fact that they haven't pulled the trigger on a romance has allowed that to build. She's not a damsel in distress--she has rescued Ethan quite a few times.   She doesn't need to be convinced of Ethan's competence.  She has her own agenda.  When they work together, it's not out of loyalty or because they're a part of the same agency (IMF), it's because their goals and methods just happen to align. But there's always tension because they both know that can change in an instant. 

On 7/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

During Ghost Protocol, the rumor was that Jeremy Renner was being groomed as Tom Cruise's replacement as lead. Sorry to the person up above who mentioned Chris Hemsworth-but a big NO to that for me. CH cannot act. At all. Let him have his Marvel universe and stay away from anything I'm actually going to watch.

But Jeremy Renner at the time would have been great. I don't know what happened-if it was never in the works, if it was but Tom changed his mind, whatever.

That was the rumor.  I think two things happened.  It sounds like someone, likely McQuarrie, talked Tom out of it.  The second might have been the release of The Bourne Legacy the following year where Renner took over for Damon, and they discovered it's not easy to just replace the main star of a personality-driven franchise. 

That said, I never ever understood the plan to have Renner take over for Tom Cruise. (Or Renner to take over for Damon.) I don't think that Cruise will own the franchise forever but I think the next iteration of MI will have to be a new creative team, new actors and a new approach.  This one is tightly associated with Cruise and what boundaries he wants to push.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

While there's certainly an undercurrent of potential romance, I think the reason she's back has more to do with the breakout reception she received in MI: Rogue Nation.  She presents a different dynamic than who usually surrounds Ethan and the fact that they haven't pulled the trigger on a romance has allowed that to build. She's not a damsel in distress--she has rescued Ethan quite a few times.   She doesn't need to be convinced of Ethan's competence.  She has her own agenda.  When they work together, it's not out of loyalty or because they're a part of the same agency (IMF), it's because their goals and methods just happen to align. But there's always tension because they both know that can change in an instant. 

From what McQuarrie has said, the progression of Ilsa's relationship with Ethan has been something that he (and Cruise, as star/producer) spent a lot of time debating in Rogue Nation.  Cruise thought they should kiss at the end, which McQuarrie thought wasn't earned at that point, which was part of the genesis for their storyline in Fallout -- but he ended up thinking that there wasn't a good place for it in Fallout either, so that's still left for hypothetical future installments.

• Love 2
On 7/31/2018 at 8:19 PM, VCRTracking said:

Rogue Nation should be watched just for two reasons: 1)Rebecca Ferguson and 2) Alec Baldwin's epic speech about Ethan Hunt being the "living manifestation of destiny".

Three reasons: your two and the Turandot scene at the Vienna Opera House. 

• Love 1

I think that Tom Cruise had tons more chemistry with Michelle Monaghan than Rebecca Ferguson. One of my favorite Ethan Hunt non-action scene will always been him at that party with Michelle and her friends at the beginning of MI3. Their interactions and dancing in those scenes were sweet and romantic. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed this, but I've always unreservedly enjoyed the MI films.  Tom Cruise is nowhere near the only problematic actor in Hollywood, as there are more than a few around here who are beloved without apology or reservation. So if other people can enjoy other actors' and separate the art from the artist, there's no reason it should be any different with Tom Cruise.  Totally understand why people dislike the man.  That said, he's a bonafide movie star and takes it to the max for Ethan Hunt.        

I knew Henry Cavill would be villainous based on the trailers, so I wasn't surprised watching the film.  I've read more than a few times how bland of an actor he is.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I've been waiting for a good villainous role for him.  This wasn't quite it for me, but it was damn close.  When Ethan is holding on to the elevator, and the camera cuts to Walker's face looking down at him in complete annoyance and exasperation, I was rolling.  Cavill's annoyed face amuses me, and I don't know why.  I'll always believe he would have been a solid James Bond, particularly in the Daniel Craig/Timothy Dalton style, but I doubt that will ever happen. 

Cruise, the stunt coordinators, and the special effects team earned EVERY penny with this film. Really well-done. The location shoots were fantastic as well.  I really loved the shots where Ilsa was following Ethan.  

I didn't realize Wes Bentley was a "name" actor.  I know of him, sure, but I didn't think he was well-known at all.  Michelle Monaghan usually bugs me as an actor, but I've always liked Julia.  Glad she found some happiness. 

• Love 2