Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E24: The Nature of Nurture

• Start Topic

Did it bug anyone else that one of the prospective dads being subjected to Kelly's homophobia was named Kyle?  Hey Kelly/writers, remember Kyle, Kelly's friend from high school who she was super supportive of when he came out to her?  And the doubling of the names could have worked as part of the narrative ("I started thinking about Kyle from HS, thinking about how I would react if he and his partner wanted to adopt").  Instead, for me, it just shone a brighter light on how OOC Kelly was being.

The Sassy excerpts made me laugh out loud on my commute and startle fellow train riders.  So thanks, and then a question mark.

• Love 10
Just now, TeeVee329 said:

Did it bug anyone else that one of the prospective dads being subjected to Kelly's homophobia was named Kyle?  Hey Kelly/writers, remember Kyle, Kelly's friend from high school who she was super supportive of when he came out to her?  And the doubling of the names could have worked as part of the narrative ("I started thinking about Kyle from HS, thinking about how I would react if he and his partner wanted to adopt").  Instead, for me, it just shone a brighter light on how OOC Kelly was being.

The Sassy excerpts made me laugh out loud on my commute and startle fellow train riders.  So thanks, and then a question mark.

The writers couldn't remember stuff that happened earlier in the season...you expect them to remember something in Season 2?

• Love 1
(edited)

Donna in her Doodlearium, hah! I feel like her wayward hair pieces were to indicate how very HARD she has been working. See also the fabric samples (carefully) draped about.

Noah's robe, it's just... SO MUCH ROBE! It looks at once both fluffy and stiff.

Edited by StatMom

I think the robe of death is just really huge, including over-sized pockets that are much too high. They're also too far towards the center of the robe. It's at the same height as Al Bundy's waistband when he'd stick his hand in it.

• Love 2
(edited)

At this point the powers that be of this show are trolling us with their amazingly nonsense intro scenes before the credits, right? I hope so. It makes me respect them.. so much.

Also kelly sucks! She just does. And ugh.. Brandon made so much sense when he told kelly that she didn’t even consider him in her decision? Also seriously, agree, why did she bring in her father getting out of jail for? What the hell?

It’s odd that this podcast episode is dropping in the month of June, I know it was recorded a bit ago but what an odd episode for the month of Pride, isn’t it? (Eta: I know the gay couple (rightfully) gets the baby it also feels  like the show was like “look kelly did such a good thing convincing Jessica alba to let the gay couple have her baby” and trying to ignore her behavior for the first half).

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I think the main problem with Kelly's hair is that it's just too old for her. A middle aged mom 'do has no business being a 23-year-old's head.

DOES SHE GROW IT OUT BC I REMEMBER IT LONG TOWARDS THE END WHEN HER AND DONNA OPEN A BOUTIQUE

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, RosieRose221 said:

DOES SHE GROW IT OUT BC I REMEMBER IT LONG TOWARDS THE END WHEN HER AND DONNA OPEN A BOUTIQUE

Yes it gets long again .. her short hair worked in seasons 6 and 7 but this bob she has in season 8 is just a bad look ... this bunch is the most unrealistic bunch of 23 year olds I've ever seen 

1 hour ago, RosieRose221 said:

They what now?

I mean, I can understand Donna the designer~ eventually opening a boutique, but why Kelly? That makes no sense for a receptionist/non-nurse.

2 hours ago, Kimmykun said:

They what now?

I mean, I can understand Donna the designer~ eventually opening a boutique, but why Kelly? That makes no sense for a receptionist/non-nurse.

A boutique named Now Wear This, a name that's maybe (MAYBE) ok written out but is so dumb when spoken. It was also staffed by the girl from Charles in Charge who isn't Nicole Eggert. 

Kelly also goes from working at the Clinic Clinic to Now Wear This, then her own PR firm (she believes in every one of her clients), and is then a guidance counselor in the reboot.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MerBearStare said:

A boutique named Now Wear This, a name that's maybe (MAYBE) ok written out but is so dumb when spoken. It was also staffed by the girl from Charles in Charge who isn't Nicole Eggert. 

Kelly also goes from working at the Clinic Clinic to Now Wear This, then her own PR firm (she believes in every one of her clients), and is then a guidance counselor in the reboot.

Wow. Just wow.

Originally, I stopped watching after Dylan left in season 6. So, while I missed the awesome ridiculousness of both coke!Kelly and Terruh Streetchild, I definitely made the right decision. 

• Love 1

Yeah.. I mean the worst part about this episode is that Brandon makes sense. I mean don’t get me wrong, him inserting himself to write the article is stupid and dumb but all his speeches to Kelly.. making sense. And yeah.. i dislike it.

• Love 2
  14 hours ago, Kimmykun said:

They what now?

Oh i forgot about the PR firm! lol Kelly is kind of the perfect guidance counselor bc one she had like 4 semesters of abnormal psychology (what?) and the show put her through everything! I mean she was almost raped at the Halloween party, then actually raped in season 9 or 10, she was burned in a fire, joined a cult, had a coke addiction which led to street child Tara stalking her, and got sexually harrassed at the Clinic Clinic = I mean the list goes on and on lol

Kelly and Brandon together are just the worst. They are just so individually high and mighty about everything that when they are together, it's moral overkill. I don't buy that ANY 22/23 year olds act like them.. I know we all talk about Brandon and how annoying he is, but I'm gonna give Kelly the award for that title.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Kelly and Brandon together are just the worst. They are just so individually high and mighty about everything that when they are together, it's moral overkill. I don't buy that ANY 22/23 year olds act like them.. I know we all talk about Brandon and how annoying he is, but I'm gonna give Kelly the award for that title.

Yeah, it’s hard to admit but at this point in the show I hate Kelly more than I hate Brandon. which is a lot.

Also, teenmom whose name I’ve already forgotten and her mother should call the Foundation Foundation and tell Kelly’s bosses that she’s harassing them. Her behaviour is so over the line. 

• Love 2
(edited)

You know what was shorter than Donna's skirt? Bill Taylor's stretch up the river.

He says goodbye in May and the following March? April? he is out and back in LA? WTH? We've been led to believe in the past he'd go YEARS without seeing Kelly. Last May he was all "Who knows when we'll have this time?" and now we know the answer is: In 10 months.

To be fair, these 65 episode seasons do make it seem like years have gone by.

Edited by Cekrypton1
*sigh* typos
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

We are now entering the phase where things just completely go off the rails.  I'm about the age of Hillsters and was in PR right out of school. I had a degree in literature and had a crappy "office manager" (aka receptionist) job where they dangled a carrot that I may be able to move up into an account assistant position.  I found myself like the gal in Reality Bites. 

How the hell does Kelly open up her own firm and get clients?  I gotta say one thing, Kelly never lacks in the self confidence department.  

When I was 23, my main goals were what bars were we hitting up after work and how quickly could I take off my fucking pantyhose and run out of the office.  I wouldn't have known what to do with a baby, let alone offer to be a foster parent.  

• Love 3

This show does not remember when Kelly had that life-changing experience working with Jimmy at the AIDS hospice, when she learned all about gay people then. And wasn't there some dust-up with Brandon and Steve and the president of their frat turning out to frequent gay coffee houses? I can really see how lazy the writers and producers had gotten, and I feel kind of sad about it because High School 90210 really was the shit. If you were a teenager in the 90s.

• Love 2

in 1999, my roommate got pregnant (WHOOPS!) and actually did float the idea of having the baby and then returning with it to our apartment, where she would raise it. We were both 22. So I was kind of the Donna in the situation. I laughed in her face and spelled out for her that she was going to have to return to her parents' house in North Dakota, because everything she said was completely crazy. I mean, you're going to keep working your office manager job and pay for daycare and stay up all night with me as your irresponsible 22 year old roommate coming and going and doing whatever I please? Cuz I sure as hell was not going to alter my lifestyle. And still pay rent and half of our bills? So, she moved to North Dakota and I believe she is still there.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

i'm sorry--Based on these pictures I need to ask, Is Woody a Dana Carvey character?

Yes, that's it! Great observation -- he's definitely older Garth. 

22 hours ago, Nanna said:

Yeah, it’s hard to admit but at this point in the show I hate Kelly more than I hate Brandon. which is a lot.

Also, teenmom whose name I’ve already forgotten and her mother should call the Foundation Foundation and tell Kelly’s bosses that she’s harassing them. Her behaviour is so over the line. 

When has Kelly's behavior in this job been on line?

Also when did David start listening to fictional artists and not Hip Hop in High School? 

(edited)
49 minutes ago, SoupThrower said:

Why is Kelly the way she is?

She's making Brandon look normal and not the worst. 

Well she used to be fun and cool.. and then they had her start to date Brandon and she became  the worst. It’s odd.

Also I know our hosts are probably never going to do podcast the reboot (and I can’t fault them, it’s not

gery good and my guess is that they will need some recovery for their palettes)-which in all honestly I know better than the original at times because I actually watched the reboot and only saw the original via reruns, but kelly is.. while not great or back to her season one awesomeness, she’s okay? Granted she’s more of a supporting character to move along the teens and then kind of disappears halfway through a season but you don’t spend all her scenes wanting to hit her. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I forgot just how ugly Kelly's storyline actually was.  And honestly, I feel like she could care less that it's two men raising the kid so much as she's just looking for any excuse she can use to try to get the baby for herself, so it can be raised in a household where mommy and her roommate are both 20-something, ex-drug addicts.   

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I forgot just how ugly Kelly's storyline actually was.  And honestly, I feel like she could care less that it's two men raising the kid so much as she's just looking for any excuse she can use to try to get the baby for herself, so it can be raised in a household where mommy and her roommate are both 20-something, ex-drug addicts.   

I don't think the show meant to do this, but I find it very interesting how these kids make really bad choices and their behavior is just explained away and most impressively they are hypocrites when it comes to their "outgroups".  Kelly/David/Donna do drugs it's ok because of stress/finals/pain.  But Valerie or Collin do drugs, they are morally corrupt.  Kelly/Dylan/Brandon/David cheat they it's complicated/soul mates/one time thing/horniness but when Valerie does it, she's evil.  

It's really gross that two stable adults in a committed relationship are considered "unfit" vs the singles who sleep around, do drugs, and can barely hold a job.  

• Love 8
On 6/4/2018 at 9:51 AM, TeeVee329 said:

I thought he was supposed to be asexual...he just says he's not interested in sex. Right?

11 hours ago, zobot81 said:

I thought he was supposed to be asexual...he just says he's not interested in sex. Right?

You mean Kyle from West Bev? I believe what he said was "I've never slept with a girl, and I don't know if I want to." Which could be interpreted as him being asexual, but for a teen show in the early '90s that seemed like a pretty clear code for "I think I'm gay."

• Love 5