Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: Not Kansas 2018.06.04

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

On 6/5/2018 at 6:49 PM, statsgirl said:

If this were the real world instead of a TV show, I could understand Lena thinking she needs to carry a gun to protect herself.  But having had to use it before, no, I'm not buying it. If a Luthor were really in that kind of danger, she would have body guards. She's not running around as a vigilante.

When she nearly shot Morgan Edge, whose gun was she using?

And is pizza and coffee a thing?  It just doesn't sound right.

• Love 1

Here's the thing.

I'm an Australian, I find the whole gun debate thing incomprehensible. Gun control is such a no-brainer for us that we find what happens in the US around gun control distressing.

Even I found this episode tiresome. Every time this show tries to deal with the big issues of the day it falls so flat it makes pancakes look frothy. The writers simply don't have the skills to deal with these issues without putting people offside. By the time this show had finished, even I was ready to pick up a gun just to annoy them. You don't change people's minds by yelling at them. And this was the rhetorical equivalent of screaming "GUNS KILL PEOPLE" by the side of the road with a photo of dead kids around your neck.

• Love 3
(edited)

We get it show only government agencies should have guns. Never mind the fact that we just had a FBI agent shoot someone in a club after it fell out of his pocket. And police and secret service members have left their guns in the bathroom.

And gun markers are the reasons for shootings never mind the fact its because the FBI screwed up their jobs and didn't arrest the person when all signs were there.

As a pro gun person and someone who's been licensed to carry for years what a load of crap.  

Edited by FortKnox
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, FortKnox said:

We get it show only government agencies should have guns. Never mind the fact that we just had a FBI agent shoot someone in a club after it fell out of his pocket. And police and secret service members have left their guns in the bathroom.

I thought J'onn was saying that not even government agencies should have guns, but he could only impose this on the DEO.

9 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought J'onn was saying that not even government agencies should have guns, but he could only impose this on the DEO.

President: I have 2,000 employees to pay. Taking any of our products off the market hurts every one of them. This is a family business, and our guns bring families together. I remember when my grandpa gave me my first hunting rifle and taught me how to shoot. It was an inter-generational experience. And it's my hope to help as many Americans as possible capture that feeling and pass it on to their children.

J’onn: No one values families more than I do, but that is not for families. That is for military personnel, trained officers, law enforcement. All right, here's what's gonna happen right now. You are gonna hand over all documentation relating to the Heel-14, and you're gonna comply completely, 100% with our investigation. If you do not, we'll take our business elsewhere.

^Yeah, but he then took the step of saying that the DEO would switch to non-lethal weapons, despite their agents presumably having been trained (and responsible) with the lethal ones.

In fairness, who really needs rifles when you on any given day have Supergirl, J'onn, Mon-el and potentially others available to you?

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

^Yeah, but he then took the step of saying that the DEO would switch to non-lethal weapons, despite their agents presumably having been trained (and responsible) with the lethal ones.

In fairness, who really needs rifles when you on any given day have Supergirl, J'onn, Mon-el and potentially others available to you?

Anyone that needs them. They maybe powerful but, they can't be everywhere and people have a right to defend themselves.

16 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

When she nearly shot Morgan Edge, whose gun was she using?

And is pizza and coffee a thing?  It just doesn't sound right.

My dad had coffee with just about everything. Although he and I once had pizza with chocolate milk.

4 hours ago, FortKnox said:

President: I have 2,000 employees to pay. Taking any of our products off the market hurts every one of them. This is a family business, and our guns bring families together. I remember when my grandpa gave me my first hunting rifle and taught me how to shoot. It was an inter-generational experience. And it's my hope to help as many Americans as possible capture that feeling and pass it on to their children.

J’onn: No one values families more than I do, but that is not for families. That is for military personnel, trained officers, law enforcement. All right, here's what's gonna happen right now. You are gonna hand over all documentation relating to the Heel-14, and you're gonna comply completely, 100% with our investigation. If you do not, we'll take our business elsewhere.

Guy hands over documentation, then J'onn announces he won't be buying guns anyway.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FortKnox said:

Anyone that needs them. They maybe powerful but, they can't be everywhere and people have a right to defend themselves.

I'm talking about in the context of the DEO. As far as we've seen, the non-Alex human agents of the DEO have not accomplished anything in fights with aliens but getting their butts kicked, guns or no.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'm talking about in the context of the DEO. As far as we've seen, the non-Alex human agents of the DEO have not accomplished anything in fights with aliens but getting their butts kicked, guns or no.

And Alex has spent much of the past 3 seasons being pretty lethal, with or without firearms.

(edited)

Shouldn't the Krpytonians Kara knew be, like, 20 plus years older than her?  She was caught in the Phantom Zone long enough for Kal-El to become an adult and be known as Superman. 

Do Kryptonian's not age?  Like, ever... even in their own environs, i.e. minus the "earth's yellow sun"?

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Shouldn't the Krpytonians Kara knew be, like, 20 plus years older than her?  She was caught in the Phantom Zone long enough for Kal-El to become an adult and be known as Superman. 

Do Kryptonians not age?  Like, ever... even in their own environs, i.e. minus the "earth's yellow sun"?

That would explain why Alura is still alive and as young as she was when Kara left but Zor-El is nowhere to be found.  Either he never survived the destruction of Krypton, or he died sometime between its explosion and Kara's return to Argo City nearly 30 years later.  Perhaps it's only Kryptonian females who don't age normally?

Edited by legaleagle53
53 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

but Zor-El is nowhere to be found.  Either he never survived the destruction of Krypton, or he died sometime between its explosion and Kara's return to Argo City

This Alura told Kara that Zor-El died after Krypton exploded and in saving her and the others for this new Argo City. Or something like that.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This Alura told Kara that Zor-El died after Krypton exploded and in saving her and the others for this new Argo City. Or something like that.

Ah, thank you.  I haven't had a chance to catch up on the episodes yet, so I was still wondering why Kara was reunited with Alura but not Zor-El (even though Zor-El was always pretty much a passive character when he was alive -- really a bit of a flip-flop from the comics, where he was the more direct of Kara's parents and Alura was the passive one who wasn't nearly as outspoken as he was).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Ah, thank you.  I haven't had a chance to catch up on the episodes yet, so I was still wondering why Kara was reunited with Alura but not Zor-El (even though Zor-El was always pretty much a passive character when he was alive -- really a bit of a flip-flop from the comics, where he was the more direct of Kara's parents and Alura was the passive one who wasn't nearly as outspoken as he was).

Welcome to Supergirl - aka DC's Girl Power franchise.

• Love 1

I really feel they balled Mon El up by making him so serious. At least last year he had humour. This year he's such a dud. Also Kara is 1000000000x more obnoxious and annoying this season.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2018 at 8:49 AM, Chas411 said:

I really feel they balled Mon El up by making him so serious. At least last year he had humour. This year he's such a dud.

Thank you!  I love Mon-El, but if taking all the fun out of him is what the writers felt was the easy way to "redeem" him, then they should have never brought him back.  The writers had a specific plan to change him...I get it....but bringing him back married wasn't the smartest thing.  All the angst...yikes.  

On 6/16/2018 at 8:49 AM, Chas411 said:

Also Kara is 1000000000x more obnoxious and annoying this season.

But....but...she's such a powerful female role model (eye roll) who doesn't need a man to complete her.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, JapMo said:

ut....but...she's such a powerful female role model (eye roll) who doesn't need a man to complete her.  

Except apparently she does given she spent the entire latter half of the season mooning over Mon El from a distance.

• Love 1