Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Give Me the Finger 2018.06.04

My gaydar is usually on point but it must have been on vacation! I didn't pick up any notion of the dead woman being anything but Hannah's roommate.

We are just tossing around theories for fun. They probably are (well, were) just roommates.

When Michael came to the house, both Sherlock and Joan were there, but only Sherlock answered the door and spoke with him.  Joan disappeared, which was sort of odd, because after all, their unexpected visitor could have been for her. 

Joan didn't disappear. She just stayed downstairs and let Sherlock answer the door. If it had been for her, all he would have had to do was to call down to her. 

He shouldn't have to. He came to her as a friend, asking advice on a sensitive subject. He didn't go to Sherlock. She had to know damn well that that he was giving her this delicate information about his daughter in confidence. Joan broke that trust by telling Sherlock. This error in judgment is compounded by the fact that Gregson isn't happy with Holmes right now, and has him on probation. Understandably so, as in just the last episode, Sherlock could not account for several hours of his life, and came home with a human head. Would you want such a person to know about your daughter's (who is also a NYC LEO) problems with sobriety? The ramifications of such info getting out could be very serious. Hannah could easily lose her job.

Agreed. It isn't really a question of professionalism, it's a question of trust. I don't expect Joan to go blabbing to Sherlock what Gregson told her in obvious confidence, like some silly school girl gossiping about what a mutual friend confided in them. This was a serious breach of trust on Joan's part, and I don't know why she couldn't have simply told Sherlock it was a private matter that didn't concern him, and that she would not feel right divulging the nature of a personal discussion. If Sherlock wanted to pursue it beyond that, then it would have been on him. As it is, Gregson knows now he can't tell anything personal to Joan without her sharing it with Sherlock.

I think this was a very clumsy way for the writers to get some thawing going between Gregson and Sherlock but Joan's integrity was sacrificed in the effort.

• Love 8

Ditto re sound, but I have learned to live with CC.

Just to weigh in on Joan telling Sherlock, I thought it was inappropriate and was surprised she did it. I am no saint but would not reveal something told to me in confidence like that. If Sherlock figures it out on his own is another matter, that wouldn't be on her. We know Sherlock is heedless of boundaries, she should be the adult and respect them.

• Love 2

I do believe floppy disks are erased, not deleted.

I fell deeply in love with the Yakuza who ran the sumo (? martial arts?) studio.  Especially his voice.  I got chills when he was talking to the Air Force lady.  I want him to follow me around and narrate my life.

Joan’s light grey suit pants last week were so tight to be deeply unflattering, but this week her platform Mary Janes were amazing.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

In season 3, Hannah Gregson had an abusive boyfriend who was also a cop, so I'm pretty sure the blonde woman was simply her roommate and friend. 

Why does her having one male lover preclude her having a female one at another time?

9 hours ago, Suzn said:

I never felt that Joan aimed to be unattractive and sexless before.  

I guess I'm the only one here who appreciate's her wardrobe and thinks it's the sexiest she's ever been. I also don't think it would have been done to kill any vibe between her and Sherlock, partly because they have always been very good about not having one, but also because, like I said, some people find that look super attractive and I don't think Sherlock is the type to necessarily be limited to a narrow norm for who he'd find appealing.

In any case, I think slightly butch Joan is the best Joan so far. She doesn't seem at all like she's trying to be unattractive, she doesn't seem less confident or like she's trying to put anyone off. I think she just seems like she has more freedom of movement, and she is very self-possessed and you can actually see her movements because she doesn't always have a swirl of scarves and other fabric billowing around her. Also, those outfits she used to wear had to be hell in the winter, and I always thought LL had to be suffering horribly in outdoor shoots in all kinds of NYC weather. How she managed not to shiver on camera, I'll never know.

9 hours ago, stitcher73 said:

Is anyone else having trouble again with the sound??  It is sometimes so hard to hear Sherlock and Joan, not the others just these two.  I have to rewind and turn the sound up or keep the closed captioning on.  they mumble, or whisper.  Low talkers.

The sound has always been horrible on this show. I have to turn the volume way up and even then I usually need captions. It's like they're all muffled and mumbling. It might be something about the set having bad acoustics, but I find it's also sometimes difficult outside the brownstone.

I'm with everyone who thought Joan disclosing her private conversation with Aiden to be highly inappropriate and also out of character. She's never been like that before. She was always very good at keeping things to herself and setting boundaries with Sherlock. I don't know what they are doing with this sudden "need a child" thing and now being wishy washy about boundaries.

• Love 2
(edited)

The land-based part of the United States' nuclear weapons program is still run by 1970s-80s computers.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:49 AM, Ms Lark said:
On 6/5/2018 at 9:59 AM, grawlix said:

They are using 70s technology for because that was the tech they had when originally built.  They keep using it because that tech keeps it isolated and is not vulnerable to hacking.

Ah, yes! I remember it well. I can't believe they're still using it, though. As long as it's isolated, they can upgrade the system!! No wonder the techs are depressed.

FYI: Medicaid is still running on DOS. Not sure which version.

The US banking system still runs on mainframes.   COBOL I think.   I have to give them credit - I don't think any other show has used legacy technology as as a plot point.

Edited by Mermaid Under
I thought of something else I wanted to say
  • Love 4
(edited)

Does Michael know that Hannah is in recovery? It's weird either way, from a storytelling perspective. On one hand, we haven't heard about Hannah onscreen in a while, so my first assumption was the two plot lines would be connected -- Michael targeted her because of this vulnerability, especially since addiction is a common thread for all 3 of them -- but that doesn't make sense because how would Michael know who she is and what she's going through? Unless he's bugging someone. Or, out of everyone in Sherlock's universe that Michael could use to get his attention, Michael just happens to target the daughter of his captain who happens to be going through a crisis and happens to be onscreen this week? Or he doesn't know who Hannah is, he saw her at AA or something and the Sherlock connection is just a coincidence?

The writing of this arc just isn't working for me. (Not to mention: How does Sherlock not mention to Watson that Michael showed up, uninvited, without ever having been given the brownstone's address?)

Joan should never have shared about Hannah with Sherlock. Way out of bounds. And then for Sherlock to tell the Captain. Even worse.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 3

When someone on TV finds a dead body, they almost always scream. Seems to be a trope. Do real people do that? I think I would freeze.

I'm not sure my first reaction would be to scream. In this particular instance, the roommate had been strangled with something, right? So I think if I came home and found my roommate like that, my first inclination would be to think it might be a joke (you know, depending on the kind of sense of humor that roommate had). I think there would be sort of a natural sense of disbelief at first, then touching that person to see if it's real or not. Then once you establish they're actually cold or not breathing or whatever - yeah, maybe some panic. But: walk in, look, scream immediately? No. 

• Love 4

That screaming seems to b a TV and movie Lady Trope. I don't think they do it if the character is male. It's especially galling that Hannah, a cop, is given the same reaction.

If it was me, I think I'd gasp, freeze, be panicked.

• Love 2

The scream trope seems to be there to tie back in to Michael in his car.  Reworking the scene in my head, I would rather of had him surreptitiously watching Hannah through a window.  Then, she would not have had to scream to tie back in to him.  She could still have dropped the dry cleaning, gone to the body to check the situation, reacted for a moment, then considered her own safety with regard to an intruder potentially in the house.  That would have let her be a cop about it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

screaming seems to b a TV and movie Lady Trope. I don't think they do it if the character is male. It's especially galling that Hannah, a cop, is given the same reaction.

31 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

The scream trope seems to be there to tie back in to Michael in his car.  Reworking the scene in my head, I would rather of had him surreptitiously watching Hannah through a window.  Then, she would not have had to scream to tie back in to him.  She could still have dropped the dry cleaning, gone to the body to check the situation, reacted for a moment, then considered her own safety with regard to an intruder potentially in the house.  That would have let her be a cop about it.

Do any of you Sherlock Holmes experts recall any screaming like this in the originals? I'm guessing there weren't any female police in ACD's works.

The ACD stories had no female police IIRC.  (In real life there were none before WWI, and even then they had limited duties.)  ACD did write several women characters who handled difficult situations calmly and rationally, though.  

Back to TV tropes, I have seen men characters scream when they found a body, although not as often as women.

• Love 1
On 6/5/2018 at 10:54 AM, iMonrey said:

I did crack up at the guy in the diaper and crib. "Sorry Watson, I was wrong, you most likely haven't seen this before." LOL. 

On 6/4/2018 at 9:22 PM, wonderwoman said:

Tony Plana (the Air Force general) played a client who wore a diaper as he was treated like a baby. 

What;s odd is that this is something I've seen before, on a couple of recent shows.  Infantilism isn't really new, but the media seems to have just found out about and of course treats most if not all fetishists as freaks.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:45 AM, tennisgurl said:

If I was in a TV show and was a blond, I would go brunet so fast it would make your head spin.

Then you'd be targeted by a serial killer who goes after women who don't respect their blonde roots. LOL

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/6/2018 at 10:01 PM, possibilities said:

Why does her having one male lover preclude her having a female one at another time?I

I think because Hannah had a boyfriend previously, if the show wanted us to know for sure that the blonde woman she was spending time with was a girlfriend as opposed to simply being a friend/roommate, the writers would make sure we knew it.

And I didn't think her screaming when she saw her friend/roommate/possible significant other makes her a bad cop, it just makes her a human being, horrified that someone she knew was horribly killed in their home.

I look forward to Sherlock and Joan figuring out the serial killer and putting a stop to him--this Michael person needs to realize that Sherlock doesn't need anyone to "up" the game for him.  He's fully engaged in catching bad guys :):)

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 3
On 6/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, snarktini said:

Joan should never have shared about Hannah with Sherlock. Way out of bounds. And then for Sherlock to tell the Captain. Even worse.

I agree with this, because Joan didn't tell the Captain about Sherlock's condition.  Maybe this whole thing of Joan telling is because Joan has a closer relationship with Sherlock than the Captain.  She lives with and is friends with Sherlock, but maybe she sees the Captain more as a boss than a friend.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I agree with this, because Joan didn't tell the Captain about Sherlock's condition.  Maybe this whole thing of Joan telling is because Joan has a closer relationship with Sherlock than the Captain.  She lives with and is friends with Sherlock, but maybe she sees the Captain more as a boss than a friend.

I didn't "like" Joan telling Sherlock, but it seemed more like a "lesser of two evils" kind of thing.  She started out telling him it was a private matter and only told Sherlock when Sherlock announced his intention to ask/pester-the-fuck-out-of Gregson about it.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, johntfs said:

I didn't "like" Joan telling Sherlock, but it seemed more like a "lesser of two evils" kind of thing.  She started out telling him it was a private matter and only told Sherlock when Sherlock announced his intention to ask/pester-the-fuck-out-of Gregson about it.

I suppose.

But wouldn't it be better if Joan just warned Gregson that Sherlock was going to be pestering?

And how did Sherlock know Gregson had a private talk with Joan anyway?

• Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I suppose.

But wouldn't it be better if Joan just warned Gregson that Sherlock was going to be pestering?

And how did Sherlock know Gregson had a private talk with Joan anyway?

Gregson and Joan both know Sherlock well enough to know that Sherlock will likely come pestering.  While we don't see that part of the conversation, Gregson probably asked Joan to keep the stuff about Hannah to herself but to go ahead and tell Sherlock if it became necessary.  One reason I like this show is that no one comes off as a willful idiot.

As for how Sherlock knew, he's Sherlock.  Finding/figuring stuff out is kind of his superpower (though there may also have been an in-episode explanation and I just can't recall it.  Ah, well this gives me a reason to do the rewatch I wanted to do anyway).

Edited by johntfs
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Gregson has shown that he can stand up to Sherlock when necessary. He doesn't need Joan to fight his battles for him.

Exactly.  He doesn't need Joan to fight to keep the situation with Hannah secret from Sherlock.  Gregson and Joan both know that the simplest, easiest way to deal with Sherlock is to just tell him what he wants to know if he won't take "It's private" for an answer.

Actually, I meant the exact opposite thing: Joan telling Sherlock in order to spare Gregson from being pestered, to me was a terrible choice. It's not her business to tell, and Gregson can handle himself. If Sherlock starts to pester Gregson, Gregson can deal with it himself. It's not her place to decide it's in Gregson's best interest to have his confidence betrayed to "spare him from being pestered."

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Actually, I meant the exact opposite thing: Joan telling Sherlock in order to spare Gregson from being pestered, to me was a terrible choice. It's not her business to tell, and Gregson can handle himself. If Sherlock starts to pester Gregson, Gregson can deal with it himself. It's not her place to decide it's in Gregson's best interest to have his confidence betrayed to "spare him from being pestered."

I agree. If Gregson told Joan she could tell Sherlock then why didn't she just do that? Why say its private and try not to tell Sherlock if Gregson told her it was okay. There would be no reason for her to do that unless he didn't tell her or they never talked about it. In that case she shouldn't have told him or told him to talk to Gregson. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

It is when she's the person on the spot making the decision about whether or not to tell Sherlock when he's clearly being a bit paranoid about the situation - which as I recall is one of the symptoms of PCS.  Presumably Gregson didn't say one way or the other about telling Sherlock.  If he'd demanded full confidentiality, Joan would likely not have told Sherlock and if he'd given permission she'd have gone ahead and told him Sherlock at the moment he asked.  Figure Joan was trying to find a way to do the least harm in terms of balancing the wants and needs of two people about whom she cared.  Given that Sherlock ended up giving Gregson some pretty decent advice and made some headway in repair their relationship, I'd say Joan made the correct decision - even if she was wrong by the standards of medical/psychological ethics to which she is no longer bound.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

nd how did Sherlock know Gregson had a private talk with Joan anyway?

12 hours ago, johntfs said:

As for how Sherlock knew, he's Sherlock.  Finding/figuring stuff out is kind of his superpower (though there may also have been an in-episode explanation and I just can't recall it.  Ah, well this gives me a reason to do the rewatch I wanted to do anyway).

We've seen in the past that when Gregson contacts Joan, if he's around, she tells Sherlock. While we didn't see it in this episode, I'd bet that Gregson didn't tell Joan on the phone that he wanted to discuss a personal issue involving his daughter, so there would be no reason for Joan not to tell Sherlock that she was meeting w/ Gregson. 

2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

... I'd bet that Gregson didn't tell Joan on the phone that he wanted to discuss a personal issue involving his daughter, so there would be no reason for Joan not to tell Sherlock that she was meeting w/ Gregson. 

Ah.
So there was a scene where Joan got a phone call at the Brownstone from Gregson and told Sherlock she was going to meet Gregson?
I totally missed that.
That makes Joan's blabbing to Sherlock more understandable.
But shouldn't Joan have told Gregson when they met that Sherlock knew she was meeting him?
I guess that would be totally awkward in a real life kind of way:  If she tells Gregson that Sherlock knows of their meeting before he spills his guts, she might not be able to be the listening ear that he has requested. OTOH, if she tell him after he shares, that's not great either.

I seem to recall previous instances where Joan did not tell Sherlock where she was going and whom she was meeting. I bet she wished this was one of those times. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So there was a scene where Joan got a phone call at the Brownstone from Gregson and told Sherlock she was going to meet Gregson?

I thought there was a scene at the police station when Gregson called Joan  (and made it clear it was just Joan, not Sherlock, he wanted) into his office and told her about Hannah then.  Or I could be totally wrong.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Trey said:

I thought there was a scene at the police station when Gregson called Joan  (and made it clear it was just Joan, not Sherlock, he wanted) into his office and told her about Hannah then.  Or I could be totally wrong.

Me too.
Okay.
Here's the scene.
It begins with Gregson, in his office, and Joan, in his office.
     JOAN: You wanted to see me?
     GREGSON: Oh, yeah. Come in. Have a seat.
     JOAN: If this is important, I can get Sherlock on the phone.
     GREGSON: No, no, it's-it's not a work thing. It's, uh personal. 

So.
We cannot know how or when Gregson asked to see Joan, and, Gregson does not explicitly tell Joan not to tell Sherlock.
Still... 

• Love 2

GREGSON: No, no, it's-it's not a work thing. It's, uh personal. 

That's it right there. It's personal. He asked to speak to Joan, and he rejects Joan's offer to involve Sherlock on this "personal" matter, which turns out to be sensitive information about his daughter's substance abuse problems. It shouldn't be necessary to say "Keep this to yourself". It's screamingly obvious. (Btw, my theory on how Joan knows Gregson wants to see her is simply that Gregson told others in the station "If Watson comes it, ask her to stop by my office".

As to how Sherlock knows? We don't know, but Watson possibly told him that Gregson wanted to see her, in innocence, before she actually met Gregson. When Sherlock asked how her meeting with Gregson had gone, she doesn't seem suprised that he knows. Sherlock gets it wrong, though. He asks if Gregson was checking up on him, to which Joan replies "Sure, because everything is about you" - then Mason interrupts them. Later, after Holmes and Watson were detained by the Air Force, Sherlock asks Watson again what the Captain wanted to speak to Joan about. She demurs once "It's private", but when Sherlock says he'll just ask Gregson himself, she tells him.

Gregson is visibly angry when Sherlock starts talking to him about Hannah. He even says "What makes you think I want to talk about this - to you?"

• Love 4
3 hours ago, basil said:

That's it right there. It's personal. He asked to speak to Joan, and he rejects Joan's offer to involve Sherlock on this "personal" matter, which turns out to be sensitive information about his daughter's substance abuse problems. It shouldn't be necessary to say "Keep this to yourself". It's screamingly obvious. (Btw, my theory on how Joan knows Gregson wants to see her is simply that Gregson told others in the station "If Watson comes it, ask her to stop by my office".

As to how Sherlock knows? We don't know, but Watson possibly told him that Gregson wanted to see her, in innocence, before she actually met Gregson. When Sherlock asked how her meeting with Gregson had gone, she doesn't seem suprised that he knows. Sherlock gets it wrong, though. He asks if Gregson was checking up on him, to which Joan replies "Sure, because everything is about you" - then Mason interrupts them. Later, after Holmes and Watson were detained by the Air Force, Sherlock asks Watson again what the Captain wanted to speak to Joan about. She demurs once "It's private", but when Sherlock says he'll just ask Gregson himself, she tells him.

Gregson is visibly angry when Sherlock starts talking to him about Hannah. He even says "What makes you think I want to talk about this - to you?"

I agree. If Gregson wanted Sherlock to know then why not ask both of them to stop by? Why not just Joan? He knows Sherlock's abuse problems. If he wanted to talk to Sherlock or get his advice or insight or ask questions since he's a recovering addict himself he would have. Asking for Joan and only Joan, Joan telling him its personal and Gregson's anger when Sherlock comes to talk to him. It all sounds like he didn't want Sherlock to know or to discuss it with him. 

Gregson is angry and fed up with Sherlock even before this episode. He doesn't really consider him a friend right now. Of course he doesn't want to confide in him, he made that very clear by telling Joan not to include him in the meeting, and Sherlock also knows how Gregson feels about him. It's galling that the show is pushing the idea that it's OK to disregard confidences and push explicit boundaries like this. If Sherlock wants to get back into Gregson's good graces, he ought to earn his way  back in by demonstrating his trustworthiness, not be violating it.

• Love 1
On 6/5/2018 at 2:39 PM, basil said:

She often focussed on things that were non issues: Rhys smoking marijuana (and marijuana was never a problem for Sherlock). Pouring expensive gifted champagne down the sink (and alcohol was never a problem for Sherlock). She was downright evil to Lestrade for daring to drink from a bottle hidden in the backyard after he had been beaten and mugged (and, again, alcohol was never a problem for Sherlock). Rhys tempting Sherlock with cocaine was a completely different issue.

That's actually  pretty standard for treating recovering addicts -- stay away from anything that is potentially addicting --  all drugs, even many prescription drugs, and alcohol.  Some  rehabs/ doctors., etc. even suggest staying away from caffeine & nicotine. 

• Love 1

That's actually  pretty standard for treating recovering addicts -- stay away from anything that is potentially addicting --  all drugs, even many prescription drugs, and alcohol.  Some  rehabs/ doctors., etc. even suggest staying away from caffeine & nicotine. 

It's pretty standard for AA. Modern treatment tends to focus more efficiently. not wasting time on things that don't matter.

29 minutes ago, basil said:

It's pretty standard for AA. Modern treatment tends to focus more efficiently. not wasting time on things that don't matter.

I didn't know that
--a missed opportunity for the show to enlighten us
I guess Joan and Sherlock aren't up on the latest, which isn't totally surprising, but then Joan should've told Gregson that she wasn't.

Is it still standard for AA to shun other addictive substances (except caffeine and nicotine--which doesn't seem logical anyway, no matter how ingrained in the AA culture)?

(edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

There's a cool Forensic Files episode where a murder suspect destroys a disk with pinking shears and the police consulted all these computer experts who told them it would be difficult if not impossible to recover any data, along with hugely expensive. So one of the detectives looks at it and thinks "What if I can tape it back together?" And it worked!

I remember an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent where Logan talked the geeks into taping back together some disks also, I think by bribing them with liquor.

As far as Hannah discovering her roommate's murder, it seemed odd that she screamed from so far away and with the woman's face turned away from her, you would think she would check to be sure she was really dead but they didn't show that.  It seems on TV they always assume the victim's friends/family assume the person is gone already.

This reminds me of a rare moment in Perry Mason where a movie star played by Fay Wray has been killed and her housekeeper comes up to Perry and says:  "How can  you tell if a person is dead?"  I don't think I've heard that more than once.

I thought it was a good mystery overall.  I agree that I hope they wrap up the Michael story as soon as they can.

Edited by roseha
adding text
On 6/7/2018 at 10:27 AM, snarktini said:

Does Michael know that Hannah is in recovery? It's weird either way, from a storytelling perspective. On one hand, we haven't heard about Hannah onscreen in a while, so my first assumption was the two plot lines would be connected -- Michael targeted her because of this vulnerability, especially since addiction is a common thread for all 3 of them -- but that doesn't make sense because how would Michael know who she is and what she's going through? Unless he's bugging someone. Or, out of everyone in Sherlock's universe that Michael could use to get his attention, Michael just happens to target the daughter of his captain who happens to be going through a crisis and happens to be onscreen this week? Or he doesn't know who Hannah is, he saw her at AA or something and the Sherlock connection is just a coincidence?

The writing of this arc just isn't working for me. (Not to mention: How does Sherlock not mention to Watson that Michael showed up, uninvited, without ever having been given the brownstone's address?)

Joan telling Sherlock and Sherlock talking to the captain were gross-breaches-of-trust/not-quite-cricket, but seemed to work out for all concerned.  Maybe Sherlock and Joan pulled a Legends of Tomorrow and "screwed things up for the better."

As for Michael finding Hannah, we live in the early 21st century.  There's software for sale to regular people that beats what the NSA/FBI/CIA used to have.  If Michael heard Sherlock talk in meetings (and he has) he knows he's a police consultant.  A bit research probably reveals that consultants go through Major Crimes, headed by Captain Gregson, who has a daughter, Hannah, who is also a police officer and who has a blonde, easily murderable roommate.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

If Joan still keeps up her license, she is a doctor and I wonder if that would be a HIPAA violation.

I first learned BASIC on a trash 80 with a magnetic tape drive that never managed to save anything. But it was like $1000 less than the ones with disk drives so that's what the school bought. There's a cool Forensic Files episode where a murder suspect destroys a disk with pinking shears and the police consulted all these computer experts who told them it would be difficult if not impossible to recover any data, along with hugely expensive. So one of the detectives looks at it and thinks "What if I can tape it back together?" And it worked!

There's a whole series of videos with kids reacting to things that predate them. This is pretty hilarious - Kids react to old computers.

I'm old enough to understand, and have experienced, everything in that sentence. And 8' floppy disks.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:24 AM, iMonrey said:

Agreed. It isn't really a question of professionalism, it's a question of trust. I don't expect Joan to go blabbing to Sherlock what Gregson told her in obvious confidence, like some silly school girl gossiping about what a mutual friend confided in them. This was a serious breach of trust on Joan's part, and I don't know why she couldn't have simply told Sherlock it was a private matter that didn't concern him, and that she would not feel right divulging the nature of a personal discussion. If Sherlock wanted to pursue it beyond that, then it would have been on him. As it is, Gregson knows now he can't tell anything personal to Joan without her sharing it with Sherlock.

I think this was a very clumsy way for the writers to get some thawing going between Gregson and Sherlock but Joan's integrity was sacrificed in the effort.

Agreed.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:14 PM, possibilities said:

That screaming seems to b a TV and movie Lady Trope. I don't think they do it if the character is male. It's especially galling that Hannah, a cop, is given the same reaction.

If it was me, I think I'd gasp, freeze, be panicked.

I'm not a screamer. Never have been - even in situations that have warranted screaming (and I've been in a few). So it always annoys me. Especially when it's a cop. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen a woman cop scream - in this way - ever. For help, yes. But not a reactive scream.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not a screamer. Never have been - even in situations that have warranted screaming (and I've been in a few). So it always annoys me. Especially when it's a cop. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen a woman cop scream - in this way - ever. For help, yes. But not a reactive scream.

Now I'm thinking that they cut a scene for time of her finding the body and then replaced it with the scream, either not knowing or forgetting that the female roommate finding the dead body was a cop. We don't see her scream.

This episode better not be up for a sound editing Emmy. 

I once screamed like that for effect—not because I thought help would arrive—but in hopes that the attacker would think help was imminent (or at least think I was a loud screamer) and so he would flee; it worked.

I just can't imagine a cop screaming like that without a reason for someone to hear it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just can't imagine a cop screaming like that without a reason for someone to hear it.

I fanwank that Hannah wasn't a cop in that moment, just a person coming home and finding her roommate and friend murdered.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

I fanwank that Hannah wasn't a cop in that moment, just a person coming home and finding her roommate and friend murdered.

For me that just doesn't work, being a cop, like being a soldier, isn't just a job - it becomes who you are, and how you react.

• Love 2