Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: The Wrong Side of Where You Are Now 2018.06.03

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Okay, for clarification:

Mentioning the mother show is fine.  A bit of generalization or snark, say that both Rick and Madison's groups have had fairly high body counts or left trails of destruction in their wake, is fine.  They both exist in the same universe and share a character who now has a history with both, after all.  What we don't want is getting into detailed plot discussion or giving away larger plot spoilers for a show that isn't this one in threads about episodes for this show.  Not everyone watches both shows.  Not everyone is caught up on both shows.  

If you need to get into specific compare and contrasts of the two shows, please take it to The Clarks Vs. Camp Dinner Bell, a thread in this forum just for that.  Or if you're wanting to talk primarily about The Walking Dead, it also has its own forum where these same general rules apply.

Awesome, Thanks for the clarification! That is exactly what I was driving at.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Haleth said:
20 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Holy F, it's been fixed since the start of the season! The PAST is in COLOUR, the PRESENT is in near BLACK & WHITE as you can possibly get without using actual black and white film

Except in the episode where Nick was killed it was the past that had the washed out colors, except for blue, because, you know, "look at the blue bonnets, Nick."  (Or whatever those blue flowers were that Madison pointed out.)  So they aren't even consistent with the use of color as a time marker.

Wrong. That's Episode 3, "Good Out Here"; I'm re-watching it now. It opens with Nick and the others cutting down and burning the bad crops, IN COLOUR, and then cuts to a WASHED OUT Nick staring out the window of the armored truck. Inside we see Luciana is driving while Nick and Alicia keep watch over Morgan, John and AL, who appear to be zip tied. It cuts back to Nick and Madison talking at the stadium, again in colour, before cutting to the washed out scene where they swerve to avoid the walkers and crash the truck. The present day crew splits up and Nick eventually runs off up the highway after the car until he reaches the field where everything is washed out except the blue bonnets. It cuts back to more Madison and Nick in colour as they head out on a supply run, then back to washed out Nick looking at the blue bonnets before being attacked by a few of the highway walkers that have caught up to him. The pattern has not changed; past=colour, present=washed out/black & white.

The only possible explanation I can think of for the confusion MIGHT be due to Episode 4, "Buried". It opens with a washed out shot of the armored truck rolling down the highway at night. Everyone is sitting in silence, thinking about the events surrounding Nick's death. This is shown to us by intercutting footage of the day taken from Al's camera, which is in colour with a black border. Even though these events are part of the present timeline, having happened just hours earlier they are already in the past, which is why it makes sense to have the camera footage in colour. It's fairly impressive visual storytelling if you think about it, in my opinion. The only thing that doesn't seem to have a consistent pattern so far is which timeline each episode starts in:

1. Present

2. Past

3. Past

4. Present

5. Past

6. Present

7. Past/Present - we get a few shots of John and Laura's time at his cabin before cutting to the present day shoot out.

Hopefully, now, no one else needs to feel confused.

(edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 9:04 PM, BasilSeal said:

One wonders what these individuals made of westworld.

Westworld season 2 is a confusing mess. People have no idea what is going on half the time. These multiple timelines seem to be a trend now but I wish writers would drop them.  The cuteness has worn off and it only makes the storylines more difficult to follow.  Sometimes, it becomes so confusing viewers just give up.

Edited by Earlwoode
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Wrong. That's Episode 3, "Good Out Here"; I'm re-watching it now.

Ah, ok.  You are right.  I misremembered until I read your recap.

• Love 1
On 6/6/2018 at 9:07 AM, nodorothyparker said:

Okay, for clarification:

Mentioning the mother show is fine.  A bit of generalization or snark, say that both Rick and Madison's groups have had fairly high body counts or left trails of destruction in their wake, is fine.  They both exist in the same universe and share a character who now has a history with both, after all.  What we don't want is getting into detailed plot discussion or giving away larger plot spoilers for a show that isn't this one in threads about episodes for this show.  Not everyone watches both shows.  Not everyone is caught up on both shows.  

If you need to get into specific compare and contrasts of the two shows, please take it to The Clarks Vs. Camp Dinner Bell, a thread in this forum just for that.  Or if you're wanting to talk primarily about The Walking Dead, it also has its own forum where these same general rules apply.

I still prefer the phrase "the, ahem, other show."

And aren't we just a bunch of scalawags!!!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JackONeill said:

I still prefer the phrase "the, ahem, other show."

And aren't we just a bunch of scalawags!!!!

"The show that must not be named."

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ah, ok.  You are right.  I misremembered until I read your recap.

All good. Going back helped me to see little things that could have caused confusion. For example, The "blue bonnets" scene where the walkers attack Nick, even though it's washed out, the tree leaves are still quite clearly a pale green.

• Love 1

I know I’m not the only one who’s frustrated with characters in this show just WATCHING while their enemies maneuver into position to wreak havoc on their position. How do you just stand up on top of the wall of your “fort” with automatic weapons loaded and ready to go and not pour fire into that convoy the second it shows up? You have to know what’s in the trucks , you saw the banners ! So many other things. I know we suspend disbelief to allow that there could be a zombie apocalypse , but the characters have to do things that make sense! How do people who have survived the end of the world for two years end up going into super dangerous situations carrying ONE knife which when you end up dropping it leaves you SOL and defending your life with the air cooler sleeve from a 50 cal....which you then start wearing like a sword. Really? That’s your go to long knife now? A piece of broken pipe full of holes and a jagged end? Pick up a bayonet somewhere ,get a big jackknife and stick it in your pocket . Get a little boot knife. Mother of god you’re out scrounging in America which is LOUSY with weapons. There is no excuse for this BS. 

The  gunfights are weak,there’s no tactical sense to the battle scenes and it makes me nuts. 

• Love 2

I’m not sure I understand the end game here.  The Vultures just want to cause chaos?  Is it to make the camp fall so they can go into zombie infested area and pick over the remains?   Shouldn’t there be a better strategy?

• Love 1

The golden rule on this site is Be Civil.  It is not civil to criticize your fellow posters for not liking aspects of the show, characters, timelines, etc. or to attempt to convince them of how "wrong" they are. 

(edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 9:25 PM, For Cereals said:

I’m not sure I understand the end game here.  The Vultures just want to cause chaos?  Is it to make the camp fall so they can go into zombie infested area and pick over the remains?   Shouldn’t there be a better strategy?

Seriously. How much food and water did they go through just sitting there? I understand they're waiting for the stadium to fall but won't that only happen after its occupants give up which they will only do once they've lost everything; once their food supply is pretty much depleted? What, exactly, do the Vultures expect to get then? On top of all that they're taking a huge risk by rounding up those walkers. Shit can go sideways fast when dealing with a herd, even if it's just twenty or thirty walkers. So all of this danger for what payoff? Seems like a better idea would be to leave the area and head somewhere else. Go find a Sam's Club that hasn't been picked clean.

Edited by slf
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, slf said:

What, exactly, do the Vultures expect to get then?

I don't think it's food so much as other stuff - clothing, wood, tools, metals, lawn chairs! everything else.  The Vultures don't seem to have a problem getting food and they are better equipped to pack up and move out piles of stuff.  We saw that one guy picking over a place that looked vacant but he's taking little pieces that were left over - light switch plates and whatnot.  I guess because you never know what you might need.  It would be interesting if the Vultures took items somewhere else to trade, like that camp we saw last season where Strand was.

Others have mentioned it so I won't dwell on it but omg this show took me to the brink of a mental collapse when I had to sit through long minutes of action enduring such stupidity. It was physically painful to watch that pair of siblings just sit in their vehicle watching themselves get slowly surrounded until it became a life and death situation. I was debating if I missed the part where the car breaks down. We've all seen that plot line dozens of times, and I would have been bored again, but at least it would have explained their paralysis.  Its proving one thing, the apples don't fall far from the tree.

Any normal, zombie apocalypse veteran, which both are by now, would have driven straight up past the parked van to the gate, which Madison would be in the process of openning up just enough to drive the jeep through. Those in the jeep would train their weapons (which they would have brought...duh) on back of the silent van until they drove in and closed the gate.  All this before the convoy arrives.  Now that's how you do ZA!

Sadly, between this series and the other one, the writers are getting lazy.  Too lazy a script to believe.

• Love 2