Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E00: Making the Cut

• Start Topic

(edited)

You can watch the first episode of Season 5 On Demand instead of waiting until Thursday  June 14, 2018.

Reintroducing the Second Chancers, quick update and then an analysis of their chances to win this season.

The cast comments on what went wrong for them the first time around..

So if you can't wait until Thursday, watch Episode 1,  if you have History Channel Alone on Demand.

Edited by Drogo
Clarification.

Watched it! Looking forward to seeing this group. Lots of real contenders and people I was rooting for their first time around. I wonder how Brooke will do without her hubby. And, of course, I will be rooting for foul-mouthed Larry! And Caleigh! And Sam!

I forget the other woman's name, but she went home cuz she could "feel her children calling her". When they were showing footage of her at home with her family, she said they talked about it and the boys promised "not to call home her" again. Puhleeze.  

• Love 2

I just watched it.  

- Mongolia is beautiful

- I could do without the seemingly prevalent dangerous snakes.  ugh.  

The one thing that my ear caught and I could hardly believe was that our funny Sam only chose ONE hunting item.   Trapping wire.  What?  Seriously?  What?   Yes.  Trapping wire.  No hooks and line because one is in a river environment.   No bow and arrow (not that they've ever been helpful before but this is a different environment).  No anything except trapping wire.   Two food rations, though.  

Go here to see the items they picked:  https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast 

I am going to assume that several picked the para cord perhaps to make their own gill net?  Or something?  That did not seem to work very well in the past.  I think only the fish lady took a gill net.  

Maybe because they realize that their shelters have to be a whole lot better than many of them were before, so the para cord could help.  

Can't wait for the season!!!!  :)

• Love 3

Noticed that Brooke didn't list SOAP as one of her items this time....

Randy needs a ferro rod with a FLAT striker to keep it from rolling into his fire...AGAIN...

Happiest to be in Mongolia is Fuckin' Larry.

Most grateful to be in Mongolia is Carleigh.

Both seem the very affected by their failure to win in their season and can't believe they get a second chance...

Predicting that Fuckin' Larry will win it all...his will to win is undeniable...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Happiest to be in Mongolia is Fuckin' Larry.

His teasing Nicole was absolutely hilarious!   They were all laughing so hard!   

1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Predicting that Fuckin' Larry will win it all...his will to win is undeniable...

The only reason I don't agree is that he seems to be 'playing a part'.  ???   The long beard thang?   His explanation of why folks remember him is a mouse and (?) without mentioning the fact that people remember him because of his profanity and humor?  Okay, well I guess he might not know that 'we' know him as Fuckin' Larry (although I doubt it).  

I wouldn't mind if he won, but I'm still Team Jesse.  

This season is going to be so different.   They have a very short time to gather food and build a substantial shelter before the (extremely cold -30F) winter sets in.  Not just "Oh noes!!!!!!!  It's raining!  I'll lay under my tarps and freak out!!  When I'm hungry enough I'll go home......because.....kids!!  Wife!!  Whatever"  

Maybe they'll all be gone by the first day it snows.   

I have to admit that what I'm hoping for is someone or two or three really adapting and using the limited time before winter to hunt and gather and build a shelter.  AND being able to be 'alone'.  

IMO, the production crew is going to have a heck of a season.  :)

• Love 2

Jesse will be a formidable contender but he didn't have much of a chance to show us his resolve since his brother got injured so early...Jesse is on my radar to be a tough competitor as is Carleigh and Dave...any of those 3...they will be there until they are forced by production to quit...or injured.

Who I don't think will last long is the blacksmith, Brad.

He is too camera ready and he will suffer because he will regret that he didn't choose hair gel in his 10 items....

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, MostlyContent said:

Maybe they'll all be gone by the first day it snows.   

They've already shown someone walking in the snow in the season teaser.

This episode is airing tonight, not next week, but an hour later than the normal show time.  It may also end up being episode 0, as I think History will start the numbered episodes on June 14th.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

I am happy to see Carleigh and it looks like she is healthy and a little "thicker" (in a good way) this time around. She never tapped out and was taken out due to extreme weight loss. I also loved Fowler (the winner of the season), but am happy she is getting a second chance    

Though:

Spoiler

It looks like she is the one who gets the fish hook embedded in her hand, so she might have to tap out early because of it.

Can anyone explain to me how Dave is such a handsome man in real life, but so damn repulsive when he is out in the woods? I understand they all do not have basic hygiene supplies, but Dave is the only one who is hard too look at or becomes disgusting fairly quickly. In reality, he is one of the youngest looking 50-year-old men I have ever seen. He could easily pass for ten years younger than his actual age. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Agree.

Dave quickly becomes unrecognizable... cheerful and ruggedly handsome in the early days of the competition.

He drops off the cliff both mentally and physically....he took on the dramatic appearance of Ted Kaczynski when his weight got low...

Dave stopped washing... causing his hair to become matted, his sunken face was exaggerated by the soot from his fire, his teeth dirty by eating smoked fish and not cleaning away the char in between his teeth, his fingernails dirty and crusty..

He lost all perspective in judging his appearance.

Last time, when he saw himself as he taped and reviewed the footage, he didn't see the skeletal, dirty man with the flat affect....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 5
On 6/3/2018 at 10:22 PM, humbleopinion said:

You are referring to Nicole, the botanist.

She was running out of plants and had no more the fish in her nets.

Plus she missed her kids...

the art of the edit, she said she had plenty of food but jsut really missed her kids. I think they edited it that way because she released that fish.  The oddest edits are always about food. But indeed Dave had a lot of food that he was not eating. 

fish is not going to do it this time with the rivers frozen over.  I expect cleaning and cooking  pit vipers will be important if they keep finding their ways into yurts. the frog that one guy caught was HUGE.  I guess they get to ask about cooking that stuff in camp.  

It seems like they want a short season this time, the winters sound brutal and unsurvivable. They will really have to stock up on food and insulate their cabins and have a ton of wood, 30 below is pretty bad, the advantage is that Brooke is from Alaska I think?  and used to cold, maybe? I wonder if the hunting rules are more lax in Mongolia? I think snow leopards are protected there are less than 7K in the world. 

something bad happens with that emergency evac they keep showing. 

• Love 3

This show always makes me vaguely nervous even though I know that whatever I'm watching was over and done long before the air date.  I think the possibility of running across poisonous snakes will make that worse.  I'm not afraid of harmless snakes but the idea of small varmints you might not even see before they kill you is scary.

I can't even imagine how the contestants are going to make shelters that protect when it's below zero.  I'm sort of surprised that all that fancy equipment production uses can function in those temperatures.

• Love 5

Did I hear correctly that Sam took no fishing or hunting gear only trapping wire?  And trapping wire is not allowed in the rivers?

I remember all of the women but only some of the guys, especially the 2 whose partners tapped early on them last season. 

• Love 2

I think shelter will be a big factor this season, and the three  women seem to have made solid shelter a priority in the past.  Not to say the others won't adapt  to make better for this climate, but Sam's tent and such won't do.  Be interesting to see the shelters they build this time.  

I wish Brooke had plumped up a little more...   she's at greater risk for being pulled.

"F-in' Larry won my affection during last season and I eventually realized he could be a contender Because he was constantly so miserable--much from his own impatience-- yet he stayed.  But I do Not think he'll be a long-timer this season.   He proved himself on his season even tho he didn't win. I think when the true misery  begins in Mongolia  he'll recall what he's in for.  I doubt the trauma and memory of that kind of starvation and misery leaves you.  I predict he''ll tap somewhere about #5  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Agree.

Dave quickly becomes unrecognizable... cheerful and ruggedly handsome in the early days of the competition.

He drops off the cliff both mentally and physically....he took on the dramatic appearance of Ted Kaczynski when his weight got low...

Dave stopped washing... causing his hair to become matted, his sunken face was exaggerated by the soot from his fire, his teeth dirty by eating smoked fish and not cleaning away the char in between his teeth, his fingernails dirty and crusty..

He lost all perspective in judging his appearance.

Last time, when he saw himself as he taped and reviewed the footage, he didn't see the skeletal, dirty man with the flat affect....

I remember Dave as sort of split between great starter and never finishing.... if that makes any sense. He scavenged all this neat stuff - off the top of my head I remember a teapot and a wire grill. I'd see something in his shelter and wonder where the heck did that come from..... but then his finds ended up being put aside and not really used. Then, of course the whole food thing was just bazare... he had this food supply put away - yet even when he realised he was to weak to string his bow and hunt, I don't remember him increasing his ration of dried fish... I really think hunger was warping his mental faculties and he had would have literally starved to death with a stockpile of fish set aside.

Carleigh being pulled sort of surprised me. I mean she seemed to be having trouble catching her share of fish, and her face was getting gaunt, but I was surprised - maybe because, as I remember, editing screwed with her timeline.... as I recall, part of what we saw of her in later episodes was actually shot early on. Oh, and, though I haven't actually watched the new season stuff yet, I seem to recall from last time she is also from Alaska.... and a carpenter (though didn't her roof collapse on her shelter last time?)

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Did I hear correctly that Sam took no fishing or hunting gear only trapping wire?

Yes, as I posted upthread.  The only hunting item he selected was trapping wire.  What??  No hooks and line?  On a river??   I think he is the only person who selected more than one food ration.  

12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It doesn't look like there will be any scavenged stuff this season. 

Go here: https://www.history.com/playlists/alone-season-5-participant-items 

One selected 4 hunting items.  We'll see how that turns out. :)

Perhaps they can scavenge large animal bones and make beads in their spare time.  lol

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

I think he is the only person who selected more than one food ration.  

Shit.  I am wrong.  Larry took two food rations, also. 

So, are tarps not a choice this year?  Or do they get one or two with their provisions?  

• Love 3

Good question about the tarps.  I do think they were assigned one in previous..and maybe even two if they supply one for the equipment.  I havent looked around the website to see if they show what they are assigned and what their choices are.   

Yeah, I can't get over Sam's choices.  One of his food ration choices was flour.   Maybe someone can illuminate ..I get taking rations--but why flour? It's 1/10th of your choices'...don't get it.  you cant even use it for bait..which I presume they would be allowed to do.   

I expected Larry to take 2 rations  since it was mostly hunger and food craving that took him out.  Obviously Dave and Carleigh were starving but  they somehow got past the point of 'hunger'.    But back to Sam, I'll be curious to see if he doesn't think he can fashion something for use in fishing.  Maybe  a net or trap with the  lines and rope. Otherwise how crazy to waste such a resource.  

It seems trappers always have this overly-optimistic attitude to the point of denial.  I recall the trapper guy from S3  from Pennsylvania who bad-mouthed everyone and thought keeping busy building etc was a waste of time and energy.  He tapped out pretty early..trapping nothing and probably near crazy from boredom.  And of course there is the "out-foxed" episode too 

I don't usually like  shows when they use re-treaded participants but I'm excited for this one.  Most have dealt with the 'Alone" factor already.   And just as an aside I don't think Randy (who lost his ferro rod) will last long.  His heart wasn't in it in his season and I don't think it is for this one.

• Love 5

Sam must  have a good recipe for breaded mousies he wants to try out in Mongolia...

Dan Wowak, was the lazy dude from Season 3 that played the no activity, low caloric waiting game...he made it to Day 51 with that strategy...but he was a big guy and burned too many calories just by breathing...

He was arrogant... so convinced he would win...he made bad TV....

• Love 7

Dave seems to be a bit of a kook, and I don't have much faith that his judgment will not become impaired again from lack of food.  He should have bulked up a little bit.  It doesn't look to me like he's learned as much as he thinks he has from his first experience.

Now, Carleigh looks like she's done a lot of soul searching since her season, and it looks like she gained some extra weight this time so she doesn't become too thin too fast.  Good thinking.

Fuckin' Larry - I remember him as much for his hilarious war on mousies as for his foul mouth.  My husband still imitates him when he chases a loose mouse in the house.

I loved hearing Alan's voice narrating this episode but wish we could have seen him too.

I'm enjoying seeing faces from the past get a second chance, especially the ones that had to tap out because of their partners in a team season.  I like so many people now that I can't decide which one to root for.  Thank goodness there are no "teams" this time.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, seasick said:

But back to Sam, I'll be curious to see if he doesn't think he can fashion something for use in fishing.  Maybe  a net or trap with the  lines and rope. Otherwise how crazy to waste such a resource. 

Well, if I heard their survival expert correctly, he will not be able to use the trapping wire in the river in any way.

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I loved hearing Alan's voice narrating this episode

Yeah, I was thinking that the show got a good one with Alan.   He really does have a good voice for narration.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm enjoying seeing faces from the past get a second chance, especially the ones that had to tap out because of their partners in a team season

I agree.  You could see how it killed them, esp. since it would be presumed that the partner left on shore had the easier end of it . Wasn't there another team that tapped before they could reunite?  I'm thinking a father/son team and the son was the hiker and tapped, 

9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, if I heard their survival expert correctly, he will not be able to use the trapping wire in the river in any way.

I heard that too why is why I referred to the lines and ropes he brought,,   thinking maybe he'll try to make a net.  I'm assuming the wire taboo could be for environmental reasons but I wish they would elaborate about these things.  

This season will be fun but very hard to predict IMO.  All seem to be there for the 'right reasons"  --many suspicions and rightfully so about past contestants there for career exposure etc.  I don't get that with this group.  I think in general women seem to have more ability to handle pain so I think they will all  be in top 5.  And yeah I think crazy Dave could get pulled again.

• Love 4

The father-son team...Pete, the biologist and Sam, the environmental scientist Brockdorff.

Pete learned everything about the outdoors at his father's knee, accompanying his father on hunting and fishing trips... learning trapping, falconry, bow fishing, bow hunting, and primitive skills.

These are the things Pete passed along to Sam...

For Sam, it was about the teaming up with his Dad and not about doing it alone.

Sam gave his Dad at age 61 years old, the experience of a lifetime... using all his skills and knowledge to keep them alive.....which he and Sam did until the food resources ran out.....

Theirs was the most poignant story line of the duo season.....

Hope Pete eventually got the fishing boat he was hoping to buy with the winnings.....

• Love 3

So happy Alone is back! Yay! This is the only show my husband and I watch together. We both love it so much.

I'm very happy to see Carleigh again, love her. I enjoyed seeing Sweary Larry mocking Nicole. Ha! I remember him being miserable during his season, but he also spoke about how miserable he was at his job back home too. Probably most of us can relate to having (at least at some point in our lives) that one job that was pure misery.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, Yeah No said:

I loved hearing Alan's voice narrating this episode but wish we could have seen him too.

I liked hearing Alan's voice too.

It does seem odd that Sam chose flour as a ration. I would think something more nutritious would be a better choice but Sam probably has a plan. Or maybe he just wants to eat something comforting? When I was young and my parents were poor, my mom used to make us drop dumplings (she called them noodles) that were just flour and water. I still make them for myself sometimes although I don't serve them to my family for dinner. When I was a kid we also made a modified type of bannock cooked on a stick over a fire that was just flour and water as well. We would press the wet dough around the end of a stick so it looked like a cattail (the plant) and then hold it over the fire and cook it just like a hot dog. Good times.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, seasick said:

Wasn't there another team that tapped before they could reunite?  I'm thinking a father/son team and the son was the hiker and tapped

Oh yes!!  Alex and Logan.  Almost the antithesis of Pete and Sam!  

From what I can remember (and that isn't much) the dad (Alex?) thought of himself as a tough guy, but the kid got all freaked out at the end of one of the beginning episodes and tapped out because......bears.  Maybe on day one or day two?

2 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

When I was young and my parents were poor, my mom used to make us drop dumplings (she called them noodles) that were just flour and water.

We used to have chicken and dumplings when we were kids (one of my favorites, BTW).   I think dumplings require an egg, though.  

When I watch Sam pick only one hunting item (trapping wire) when he must have known he'd be close to a river, I can't help but think that his choice of flour makes as much sense as that.  None.  

Hooks and Line, Sam!!!  What were you thinking?  I hope he proves me 100% wrong.   

I don't recall anyone being successful with the whole bow and arrow thing previously, but that might change this season.  Nor do I really remember the trapping wire producing anything.   ???  I do remember really adorable scenes with a fox who scampered off after outsmarting the trapping wire.  

I'm not sure how gill nets work in a river vs the ocean, but it will be interesting.  

• Love 3

Maybe Sam is thinking that they will get to winter pretty quickly and the fishing is going to be scare for most of the time he is there?

I am happy with this cast and cannot wait to see how it plays out. I love the new location. They sent people that they know have skills into a more harsh environment then normal because they know that they can survive it. I am going to be seriously disappointed if we have a week one tap out for anything other then an injury. And I don't want an injury, although the previews show something serious happening.

I did like they showed how the base camps being built and the redundancies built into the system to keep everyone safe. I like the behind the scenes stuff.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

When I was young and my parents were poor, my mom used to make us drop dumplings (she called them noodles) that were just flour and water. I still make them for myself sometimes

well now--this could make some sense!  Maybe take a little of the other ration &  make a soup with noodles!   That could be very filling  as well as supply a carbohydrate for energy.  That changes my flour opinion, provided he does something like that.

9 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

When I was a kid we also made a modified type of bannock cooked on a stick over a fire that was just flour and water as well.

I heard of bannock in a book about two guys who took a canoe across northern US although can't recall if they had anything to add to it.  So I thought about it here with Sam  but couldn't imagine  baked flour/water w/o sugar or salt be a decent sub for another choice. But the noodle soup could be a winner.

7 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I'm not sure how gill nets work in a river vs the ocean, but it will be interesting.

Gill nets are made from fine fishing line  to be invisible and to catch under a gill.  So with Sam's rope I think the best he can fashion would be a scoop net if he sees a fish lol or he could  possibly make a crab trap if there are crabs in the river.  I'm a salt water  person so not real familiar with river life.

7 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

Alex and Logan.  Almost the antithesis of Pete and Sam!  

From what I can remember (and that isn't much) the dad (Alex?) thought of himself as a tough guy, but the kid got all freaked out at the end of one of the beginning episodes and tapped out because......bears.  Maybe on day one or day two?

Yes! thanks!!   Yeah, a father/ son who tapped out before the meet up.   But thanks humbleopinion  for recalling Dave Wowak the "lazy' trapper.  Actually day 51 wasn't so bad but still he thought the whole challenge was going to be a cake walk and he had all the answers.  (But at least he taught us "how to fell a tree" .  Thanks Dave!)

• Love 2

I didn't realize the new season was cued up until it surfaced on the TiVo, yay!  I am of course in the tank for Fuckin' Larry!!1!, although I honestly don't think he'll endure as long this time.  I found his reflexive gutter mouth hilarious, last time, and his overall midlife-crisis-esque arc was compelling and devastating both. I could really relate to hating the tedium of a day job...but realizing that when it's juxtaposed with real hunger and loneliness and despair, it starts to look good. He seems happier, seems to have evolved and learned how to love an ordinary life, and I'm delighted for him...but I suspect that that lesson will prove to him that he doesn't have to torture himself, sooner than later. 

Hell, maybe he'll surprise me and gut it out, cussing up a storm and styling his new kookoo ZZ Top beard like Yosemite Sam. 

Dave seems to be a bit of a kook, and I don't have much faith that his judgment will not become impaired again from lack of food.  He should have bulked up a little bit.  It doesn't look to me like he's learned as much as he thinks he has from his first experience.

Just a bit. Dave cleans up pretty--a decent haircut remains shocking on that guy!--but his overall demeanor has never suggested "rational thinker." Did I hear correctly, that he quit his job and started living in his truck? I'm in Seattle, where homelessness and people sleeping in their vehicles or on the street is a crisis of astronomical proportions...so I tend to look side-eyed at people who elect to do so apparently for sheer quirkiness. 

Those two and Carleigh stand out most to me, just in terms of the returnees I previously found interesting (for good and ill) to watch. 

I want to hear Alan pronounce "MonGOAULia" 1000 times. :D

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, dustoffmom said:

Has anyone come across a list of the provisions they are given?  Not what they choose but what everyone is supplied with at the start?  I haven't seen that anywhere.

No, I haven't, and I've looked.  

Last year (on History.com) they listed the items they provided to the participants.   They got sleeping bags, ferro rods.......blah blah blah.  Probably because they weren't 'alone'.  

This year is quite different, and more like seasons 1-3.   They had to pick 10 items which included the sleeping bags, ferro rods, .........

In the past, the contestants were allowed to take a certain number of clothing items; underwear, socks, coats, boots, a picture of home, fishing waders, etc.  But I've found nothing actually listing *exactly* what they they are allowed to take this year, not counting the 10 items. 

If someone finds that, could you let us all know? 

I'm still confused about the tarp thing.  I know they all have a little tarp to cover the camera stuff, but 'the TARP' was a popular choice for several years.  Maybe they are all supplied with a large tarp now, or maybe that's not a *thing* anymore?? 

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 2
(edited)

Last season they had to choose 10 items. The twist was that they had to divide the items between the two of them and survive without the items the other had until they met up. So they choose to bring ferro rods, bow and arrow, fishing line, hooks and the like. I am sure if we looked at the list we would see what the differences were last season.

They are allowed a specific number of pants, rain gear, boots and the like. I am not sure if the sleeping bag is something everyone is allowed or if it something that they choose. I know that ferro rods are a choice. I think there are some items that everyone chooses, like the ferro rod and at least one tarp.

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 1

Okay so I watched this last night. 

In season one Sam basically ignored the ocean and then admitted his failing was trying to impose his strategy on the land.   He chose mice over fish. Seems like he may be doing the same thing this time. In his favour he is carrying the most excess weight and surviving starvation is a big part of the game. Maybe he has done research and is smarter than   everyone else. 

It’s  funny group for me - contestants I was generally indifferent about.  I think I’ll cheer for Jesse because I’m partial to Mainers.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, pagooey said:

I am of course in the tank for Fuckin' Larry!!1!, although I honestly don't think he'll endure as long this time.  I found his reflexive gutter mouth hilarious, last time, and his overall midlife-crisis-esque arc was compelling and devastating both. I could really relate to hating the tedium of a day job...but realizing that when it's juxtaposed with real hunger and loneliness and despair, it starts to look good. He seems happier, seems to have evolved and learned how to love an ordinary life, and I'm delighted for him...but I suspect that that lesson will prove to him that he doesn't have to torture himself, sooner than later.

I love this.  The " learned how to love an ordinary life"  as his greatest reward. So well put.   Huge--life changing.  And I agree he likely won't need to take it to the limit this time.   

His playful imitation of Nicole illuminates how attitude is the cornerstone of our experience.   Obviously Larry recognizes that while Nicole was singing "the hills are alive" Larry was banging his head against a tree.  He gets the joke and I think gets the point.  I hope he has fun this time.

15 hours ago, pagooey said:

Dave cleans up pretty--a decent haircut remains shocking on that guy!--but his overall demeanor has never suggested "rational thinker." Did I hear correctly, that he quit his job and started living in his truck? I'm in Seattle, where homelessness and people sleeping in their vehicles or on the street is a crisis of astronomical proportions...so I tend to look side-eyed at people who elect to do so apparently for sheer quirkiness. 

. I forgot about this.  It would sound/look more legit if he was in an RV.  But I get it to some degree.  For some it's 2 days off and over half your income for basic housing expenses.   I know for many it's not a choice due to mental illness, addiction, job loss etc but I know there are some that see four walls as a prison of isolation.  But I don't think Dave will get the revelation that Larry did.  He says he's glad they pulled him but I think he would have gladly died out there. 

6 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

m still confused about the tarp thing.  I know they all have a little tarp to cover the camera stuff, but 'the TARP' was a popular choice for several years.  Maybe they are all supplied with a large tarp now, or maybe that's not a *thing* anymore?? 

I know what you mean.  In the past just about everyone chose a tarp as one of their 10--and now--nobody chose it??  I wish they would show  what they are  given as basics  (outside the 10) -and the list of items from which they could choose..   Like last season--Brooke opted for soap.  I would like to know what all their choices were.   It would clarify a lot.   I guess if everyone shows up with a large tarp we'll know then.   

This show is a little bit sneaky at times.  Just like on N & A now, they get 3 items.  It's possible  they are getting a little more afforded than in the past and they aren't talking about it.

• Love 3

Geez, crazy Dave looks like he's already starting off the season pretty thin.  I can't see him lasting long, which is good because he did not make for good TV on his season.  Nicole and Brooke also are looking pretty lightweight to start, so can't see them lasting long either.

Love Carleigh and I hope she does well this season.  Looks like she learned her lesson and gained some weight this time.  Also love Britt and hope he lasts longer this time!!

• Love 1
(edited)

We finally got around to watching this.  My impressions.

Sam left a wife w/a toddler & brand new baby?  His wife is a Saint.  He must have a strategy for food, though his bow & arrow would’ve worked better here.

Why did they let Dave back aft his unwashed, corpse-like figure from S3?

I don’t give much hope for Brad, but Jesse was a favorite b4 Shannon got hurt, so he’s an early favorite.

Nicole seems like the cheery intelligent woman from S2 that I remember.  As long as she can collect enough fish & herbs, she can go far again.

i wonder how well Brooke will do w/o Dave (?). I don’t see her building another cabin.  

I hope Britt does well, I liked him.  But I can see the yearning for his family doing him in again.  I think he’s out in the middle.

Carleigh seems, I don’t know, weak mentally.  But she did at times in S3, too.

Why Randy?  I didn’t believe his skills (desert) worked in Vancouver and I don’t now.  I’d rather have another S1 contestant...like Dustin or Lukas.

I rarely liked F*g Larry in S2, but he was hilarious in his return home video and here.  But he seemed not as firm on his resolve.  I think he’ll be out in the middle of the pack.

My votes are for Jesse, Nicole, or Sam.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

The twist was that they had to divide the items between the two of them and survive without the items the other had until they met up. So they choose to bring ferro rods, bow and arrow, fishing line, hooks and the like.

Yep, Prof, but last year was the 'not alone' year.  Each participant was provided with a sleeping bag, ferro rod, and a fixed blade knife.   Those items were not one of their (combined) 10 choices.  

This year, as in the past years (except season 4), the sleeping bag, ferro, and knife ARE one of the 10 items they have to choose. 

Here: https://www.history.com/playlists/alone-season-5-participant-items

They are allowed a specific number of pants, rain gear, boots and the like.

I've been all over trying to find out what they are initially provided with THIS year.   Can't find it anywhere.  Last year History.com had articles with that info.   

Last year, this was the list of the items provided not including the 10 items they choose.  Also lists the items they had to choose from for their (combined) 10 items.  

Note:   ~~~~~LAST YEAR~~~~~

https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

This year, not provided with the sleeping bag, ferro rod, or knife.   And we have no idea what choices were available for their 10 items.   

What I do know is that they were apparently provided choices for their 10 items, as some folks have chosen sleeping bags rated from -20 or so to -60.   They also have chosen different weight fishing line (and color), different sized hooks, different trapping wire, different sized para cord and different lengths, and the the size of the food rations seems to have diminished from season one on from 4lbs, to 2 1/2lbs, to 2lbs (not counting the flour/salt/whatever choice that I think has always been one pound)

I think there are some items that everyone chooses, like the ferro rod and at least one tarp.

Right.  That's why it's so strange that nobody has chosen a tarp this year.  Was that not an option?  Or were they all provided with one?  

C'mon, History channel, give us the lists for THIS year!!!   :)  

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 2

I would love to see the list. We saw them going through the bags and checking the goods that they had, so there is some type of limit and clearance but we have no clue what it is. Not sure why they would hide that this year. I do wonder if they are limiting the options this year to make it more challenging because the people they are sending out are known to be competent? Maybe that is why there are no tarps? The contestants are expected to be able to build something on their own.

• Love 1

I'm giddy with anticipation!! Love this show.....usually sitting on my couch wrapped in a blanket cause the AC has it chilled just enough in the house ;) and snacking on whatever is available, while watching these poor souls starve themselves lol.  Actually that's usually a little later on but none the less, I do hope they are able to hunt/catch something more than a mouse. 

• Love 3
(edited)

People lie a lot. Nicole was skin and bones. She left cause she was starving, same reason they all leave, unless they leaven in less than a week. :-)  It looks like they got dropped in late spring or early summer, since the grass is so green. So that changes things if so, they'll all starve out long before the winter comes.  It's not going to rain much there, and they are given a 20x20 tarp and 10x10 tarp, same as the previous seasons, so they dont feel the need of the 12x12.  I'd take one, tho, (instead of the sleeping bag  cause you can bet that the ones furnished are very flimsy. The traditional stuff (and tactics) have always failed, so they'd better try something else.

Edited by beatu
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, beatu said:

People lie a lot. Nicole was skin and bones. She left cause she was starving, same reason they all leave, unless they leaven in less than a week. :-)  It looks like they got dropped in late spring or early summer, since the grass is so green. So that changes things if so, they'll all starve out long before the winter comes.  It's not going to rain much there, and they are given a 20x20 tarp and 10x10 tarp, same as the previous seasons, so they dont feel the need of the 12x12.  I'd take one, tho, (instead of the sleeping bag  cause you can bet that the ones furnished are very flimsy. The traditional stuff (and tactics) have always failed, so they'd better try something else.

so you weighed Nicole?  how do you know she was skin and bones. sure people lie a lot but more likely film editors lie. They love drama. 

are you sure their tarps are flimsy? I had not seen any of the tear on the show and I watched every show  every season more than once.  now the editors don't have to show that, but they do love drama and that would make drama. heck more than one tarp was used to make a temporary boat.  one just stuck around branches piled in a lump that could have had sharp branches.

Not questioning your right to have an opinion, jsut disagreeing with you and pining for the next show. . 

• Love 3
(edited)

can't RISK the tarps being flimsy. Anyone watching her on Alone, when she tapped out, could see that Nicole was starved out. The tarps, some of them at least, have been blue, and that means the lightweight cheap ones. As cold and windy as it gets in Mongolia can't be risking a tarp being torn away in a storm. It never gets really cold on Vancouver's shores, so it was not as big a risk there.

btw, thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Edited by beatu
  • Love 1