Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Demand & Supply

• Start Topic

On 6/5/2018 at 11:43 PM, PumpkinPK said:

Casey has seasickness and chooses to eat her bread while watching the waves from the deck?  I really hope we do not have to endure any more scenes of her vomiting.

That's actually what she should be doing. I'm guessing someone in the crew gave her that advice. To minimize seasickness you should be on deck where you can see the horizon, and you should have something bland (like bread or crackers) in your stomach. The worst thing you can do is be below deck. Or... Below Deck, perhaps. :-)

• Love 3

I can't help thinking a majority of their issues would be resolved if they just hired one more interior person. Three people could then always be customer facing, and one person can be behind the scenes doing laundry, cleaning, and being the sous chef. 

I also realize part of the allure is that everything is made from scratch, but it wouldn't hurt to have some quick and easy snacks on board in case guests are hungry. Sometimes you just want to eat, and presentation doesn't really matter. It also doesn't help that whenever guests make a request, they say ok. Again, I realize for the price they pay you can't tell a guest "no", but you can sway the guests toward all ordering the same thing (or at least most of the same thing). It sounds like everyone like Honey's pasta, so rather than make three dishes (vegan, regular, and kosher) just make the vegan and kosher dishes. Or, just make the vegan dish kosher and serve to everyone (it actually sounded delicious). It just seems chaotic the way they do things.

• Love 2

To further complicate matters, fruit (particularly apples)) may not be considered kosher if the produce purveyor did not use a kosher wax to shine the apple.  Yes, there are different types of wax, not all of them kosher.  I never knew this until my friend's brother, who is glatt kosher, brought his own food to her house for a BBQ.

https://www.star-k.org/articles/articles/1128/facts-on-wax-are-vegetables-and-fruit-waxes-kosher/

Captain Sandy needs to go sit in a dunce chair.  I didn't expect her to know all of the intricacies of kosher laws but she certainly must have had enough time to at least look it up something basic before having her crew meeting.

• Love 4

Adam's not making bread from scratch or a lot of house made items, so he should be OK making three meals a day for 8 people, plus whatever the crew eats for dinner (it looks like they're on their own for breakfast and lunch).  I used to cook lunch and dinner for 4 people (priests in a rectory), and I had a lot of free time to figure out interesting things to make.  And I was 16!

• Love 3
(edited)

Religious rituals, especially one's like dictating what food to eat and when to do so, boggles me mind. Being from NYC,  I do love a good bagel or pastrami sandwich though. ;-D.

If both people smoke, each one's ashtray mouth cancels out the other.

Being 'reality' tv, thus everything being fake, I would not be surprised if these 'guests' don't pay for anything, or get a deep discount. Wouldn't also be surprised if the tip is also provided to the 'guests' to hand out. lol

Edited by 100Proof
On 6/7/2018 at 6:39 AM, Stan39 said:

I also realize part of the allure is that everything is made from scratch, but it wouldn't hurt to have some quick and easy snacks on board in case guests are hungry. Sometimes you just want to eat, and presentation doesn't really matter. 

You mean like... NUTS? :D

(Where are my nuts!)

• Love 6

This is the first time I've heard them say that they usually provision food and set a menu and have that menu, and that menu alone, available on the yacht.  Logistically, that makes sense, if only for space reasons, but it does not seem to ever work that way on this show.  It also feels contrary to the idea of five-star accomodations.

I think they provision food based on the preference sheets and what foods are fresh in that area. Which foods specifically get used for each meal, what they're combined with, and how they're cooked seems to be decided throughout the charter.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, 100Proof said:

Being 'reality' tv, thus everything being fake, I would not be surprised if these 'guests' don't pay for anything, or get a deep discount. Wouldn't also be surprised if the tip is also provided to the 'guests' to hand out. lol

1000% agree. There is no way that any guest would put up with the meals served on these yachts if they had really paid even a fraction of $280,000 a week. (Chinese chicken salad.....are you kidding me?) I bet on the real cruises there is an assistant chef full time.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

How does Joao pronounce his name?  I'm deaf and I suspect that the way I am saying it isn't how he says it.

6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Jow? Rhyming with the word wow. 

There is a bit of a glottal sound in there though.  More like juh-ow. But not a full glottal stop.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

There is a bit of a glottal sound in there though.  More like juh-ow. But not a full glottal stop.

Not everybody can make those glottal sounds and it would be very difficult for me to explain that to someone who is hearing comprised or deaf without allowing them to put their hand on my throat so they can understand what the sound feels like to enunciate. Yes, I was simplifying but not too far off of the mark. YMMV.  You have more experience with speech therapy. Do you have a better suggestion so that if someone ever asks me that again I can provide a second or better option? I may be retired out of medicine but people still ask me questions all the time. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Not everybody can make those glottal sounds and it would be very difficult for me to explain that to someone who is hearing comprised or deaf without allowing them to put their hand on my throat so they can understand what the sound feels like to enunciate. Yes, I was simplifying but not too far off of the mark. YMMV.  You have more experience with speech therapy. Do you have a better suggestion so that if someone ever asks me that again I can provide a second or better option? I may be retired out of medicine but people still ask me questions all the time. 

It has been awhile since I’ve done deaf ed (I specialize in Autism) but some understand glottal sounds because (as you said), it is easy to feel.  That’s what I used to do back when I worked with the deaf way back when. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, NaughtyKitty said:

I hear it as Joe-Ow

I think the real lesson here is nobody knows how to say it.  LOL.  I laugh the entire show because everybody says it differently (and some people even change how they say it throughout the episode).  I think we can all agree though that he is a misogynistic perv and needs to GO. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That's actually not universally true. You're making very broad assumptions on hearing loss.  I completely understood what people were saying and turns out it was how I was saying the name.

5 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

That's actually not universally true. You're making very broad assumptions on hearing loss.  I completely understood what people were saying and turns out it was how I was saying the name.

My apologies. 

This site may also be helpful to pronounce Joao: https://www.pronouncenames.com/Joao.  As it is a relatively popular Brazilian name—prior to this show, I had only heard it pronounced the Portuguese way; I was actually surprised to hear him pronounce it juh-ow, as the posters have described above.

Either way, I agree with the poster above that he is horrendous, no matter how he pronounces his name. :)