Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Demand & Supply

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Hannah was right.  Sandy was pissed she didn't get to take the boat out to show her friends how awesome she was.  And the way Sandy spoke to her crew was disgusting.  If a boss spoke to their staff like that, using the "f" word, HR would be called. 

Poor little Sandy didn't get to drive and show her friends how awesome she was because of the weather,  waaah, waaah, waaah.

And all of Sandy's complaints with the staff had to do with HER breakfast.  Not the guests.  HER.  She didn't say the guests had to wait for an omelette or toast.  Poor Sandy.  My heart just aches for her inconvenience.....

• Love 21
11 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

How is Hannah supposed to control when the guests show up for dinner?  It's just rude that they are so far 2 hours late.  I think the chefs usually serve something light when the guests first arrive for lunch because who really wants to go jet skiing or giant sliding when your full of fettuccine Alfredo?

Sandy wants camera time. Has she ever talked to guests with the chef before these last few charters?  She's micromanaging Kate and Adam because she knows they are who cameras are really filming.

The guests this season have been ridiculously over the top.  I think they must of cast them for the show.  Every charter guest has a "role" to play because there's no way they'd get this just drama out of every charter from the guests.

I think she is just supposed to keep tabs on them and let Adam know their status.  Seems like a pretty important deal, since you are basically working for the tip from THEM.  Its not that big a boat, and if the guests are still in their rooms over an hour after dinner is supposed to be servied, that means the food is probably ruined.  I mean, Hannah can make her underlings do everything else, but she should really at least know where/what the guests are doing, especially since Sandy is on her ass about it.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

And all of Sandy's complaints with the staff had to do with HER breakfast.  Not the guests.  HER.  She didn't say the guests had to wait for an omelette or toast.  Poor Sandy.  My heart just aches for her inconvenience.....

True, but her waiting for her food was in front of the guests, her previous friends.  Also, the girl that took her order is the one that screwed it up...Sandy said dry toast, and the stew didnt relay that info, so adam had to make it again.

I cant stand Adam, but it has to be really frustrating.  Seeing him with all the fresh food plated and every pot used and boiling on the stove, only to find out the guests are still in their cabin is bullshit.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Anyway, back to Adam...Ewww, he always looks greasy and smelly. I was grossed out when they showed him wiping his face with his hand and then proceeded to cook.

I totally agree, it always bugs me when watching Masterchef where the ladies show up with their hair down and as soon as they say your time starts now or whatever, the ladies go for the hair to arrange it in a pony and then start cooking - I am actually surprised Gordo hasn't had a reaction ( maybe he has and we don't see it )  

• Love 2

So Sandy's entire list of complaints for the charter boiled down to HER experience at breakfast fraternizing with the guests. Wow. I understand the Captain is above the rest of the crew, but if the charter guests are happy and being served she shouldn't be that upset about her own personal meal being delayed. She's still part of the crew, not the charter, and should think of the charter first. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

How is Hannah supposed to control when the guests show up for dinner?  It's just rude that they are so far 2 hours late.  I think the chefs usually serve something light when the guests first arrive for lunch because who really wants to go jet skiing or giant sliding when your full of fettuccine Alfredo?

Sandy wants camera time. Has she ever talked to guests with the chef before these last few charters?  She's micromanaging Kate and Adam because she knows they are who cameras are really filming.

The guests this season have been ridiculously over the top.  I think they must of cast them for the show.  Every charter guest has a "role" to play because there's no way they'd get this just drama out of every charter from the guests.

This more than anything explains Sandy this season.  She's partaken of the drug "Reality TV" and is now hooked. She's got an itch that needs scratchin'.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, 4N6MAL said:

Conrad smokes also! Sad habit for someone so young these days.

That would run me off alone! It's one of a few things I won't tolerate around me if I can help it no matter how good looking! It's one of the stupidest things to do with the only satisfaction I believe smokers get is annoying everyone around them and putting our health in as much jeopardy! ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Why doesn't Sandy just navigate the boat ?  She's always hovering around.  I liked the other Captain better.

Captain Clueless wasn't much better.

15 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Why doesn't Sandy just navigate the boat ?  She's always hovering around.  I liked the other Captain better.

Captain Clueless wasn't much better.

Edited by Giselle
Guess it needed to be said twice. ;-)
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Don't forget the milkshake.

Even as a kid, I could never understand that combo; washing down a burger with a shake! Shakes are a dessert that doesn't "go" with a savory meal as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Does Adam make chinese chicken salad for every charter? He really does have no creativity or imagination. 

His version of beef cheeks.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Is it normal for there to be only one person cooking for guests and staff? Wouldn't real luxury yachts have sous chefs and prep cooks?

It wouldn't be a problem if these jerks weren't so myopic and only thinking about their own desires and needs! There is such a thing as being "considerate," but obviously the word  isn't in their vocabulary such as these losers with money! The rest of the world is just there to "wait" on them I guess! ;-(

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Christi said:

True, but her waiting for her food was in front of the guests, her previous friends.  Also, the girl that took her order is the one that screwed it up...Sandy said dry toast, and the stew didnt relay that info, so adam had to make it again.

I feel like Sandy could have just kept her yap shut about HER delayed breakfast if the actual guests were receiving their food, correct and on time - and if one of her friends asked about it she could have said "I'm sure they are incredibly busy, no worries" or played it off somehow to not make her crew look poorly. I mean - she blames Hannah for Kelsey's inept behavior so along those lines, if Sandy's chef and chief stew aren't up to par doesn't that reflect on her - by her logic? LOL ;)

• Love 10

Everyone speaks of the charter guests as paying a lot of money for the charter, so there should be a higher level of service. Do we really know if they pay that much? On something that's not televised, yes. But on reality tv? I really don't think that they pay that much. Not that they aren't still entitled to good service.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Giselle said:

His version of beef cheeks.

I never understood Kate's b!tchin' of that chef making those "beef cheeks?" The guests loved them, but all she could do was think how limited he had to be; more a cruise liner cook for her to step on and put down! I was done with her for all time! I'm sure she wouldn't want to be thought of and called a "waitress on the high seas!" Break it down, that's what she is and will always be if she stays with this kind of job! I've seen some old stewardesses on planes; one with a hump on her back! Who is she to criticize anyone's professional choices? ;-(

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 1

I think they're getting a MUCH discounted rate for the charter because it's being filmed, but I don't think that's been proved.  

Y'all have said everything I wanted to about Captain Sandy and the guests, but I've come here today to discuss a scourge affecting our nation and that is the desire to host "Great Gatsby" themed dinners and parties and weddings.  "The Great Gatsby" was not romantic or glamorous!  It was about selfish people who do mostly terrible things and at least two of them (spoiler alert) wind up dead in violent, tragic circumstances.  Have a Roaring '20s party or a Jazz Age wedding or, hell, just say its Baz Luhrmann themed, but I am calling for a total ban on all Great Gatsby-themed events until we can figure out what the hell is going on.  

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

Even as a kid, I could never understand that combo; washing down a burger with a shake! Shakes are a dessert that doesn't "go" with a savory meal as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

Understandable.

I'm not a shake person unless it's a date shake...mmmmm, it's one made with dates, otherwise a shake is just melted ice cream to me.

A smoothie is an entirely different animal...YUM!

Just now, Giselle said:

Understandable.

I'm not a shake person unless it's a date shake...mmmmm, it's one made with dates, otherwise a shake is just melted ice cream to me.

A smoothie is an entirely different animal...YUM!

I've been on a semi-diet of late and use smoothies as a meal almost everyday! The base is organic milk, honey, and blueberries! From there I can go with other additives to make it different and to help cleanse my system like apples, bananas, strawberries, or/and spinach! ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

I never understood Kate's b!tchin' of that chef making those "beef cheeks?" The guests loved them, but all she could do was think how limited he had to be; more a cruise liner cook for her to step on and put down! I was done with her for all time! I'm sure she wouldn't want to be thought of and called a "waitress on the high seas!" Break it down, that's what she is and will always be if she stays with this kind of job! I've seen some old stewardesses on planes; one with a hump on her back! Who is she to criticize anyone's professional choices? ;-(

I do.

When a guest looks back and sees the same dishes presented episode after episode after episode you as a paying guest don't feel so special, especially when you're paying bigger bucks. 

Yes, Kate said it wasn't that the beef cheeks weren't good, they were,  but it was that he didn't do anything more than the bare minimum when it came to preparing meals.

It was a time to shine on television and he squandered it. He was too busy bitching at Kate and taking naps. He didn't care to put in effort. Even Amy called him out on it. He made himself look like a one hit wonder. That's what irked her and rightly so. 

Kate has at least presented different themes for guests when requested, she has created different centerpieces and table settings for meals ( I didn't care for this seasons table settings, seemed repetitive). She highlighted the tallents of get stews (Mermaid Rocky, club dancer Kyle)a d told them to be creative. She looks at it as a challenge to rise to the occasion, Leon didn't.

Edited by Giselle
More to say
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Kate said it wasn't that the beef cheeks weren't good, they were,  but it was that he didn't do anything more than the bare minimum when it came to preparing meals. It was a time to shine on television and he squandered it. He was too busy bitching at Kate and taking naps. Even Amy called him out on it.

He made himself look like a one hit wonder.

When a guest looks back and sees the same dishes presented episode after episode after episode you as a paying guest don't feel so special, especially when you're paying bigger bucks. 

Like I said, where the Fk do these broads get off telling this man he's wasting his exposure? He has eyes and knows full well what he's doing! Maybe he has "sleep apnea" and is genuinely tired like me! It wasn't like he served those beef cheeks again and again to the same guests; I think I'd get over it when I found out it's a popular creation served again and again! I'd tell Kate and anyone else who isn't my boss, "get over yourself!" ;-)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Fiero425 said:

I never understood Kate's b!tchin' of that chef making those "beef cheeks?" 

Chef beef cheeks was a condescending, critical, lazy, rude asshat that had an extremely high opinion of himself and actually was nothing more than a mediocre chef at best so in that case he deserved all the bitching he got. 

• Love 18
6 hours ago, abronfeld1 said:

Without understanding the underlying rules of kosher preparation, I would expect most chefs to be clueless about the efficient way of accommodating multiple kosher and non-kosher requests at the same meal. Although Adam claimed to have had experience in this area before, I am highly skeptical that he understood what he was doing. When someone asks for Glatt Kosher(higher standard of purity) as opposed to simply Kosher , one would expect a greater amount of research by the chef to prepare him for meal accommodation.

I would expect Adam to be clueless about dairy and separate plates and pans, but shellfish...that's so basic it's embarrassing. He shouldn't have been tripped up by shrimp anymore than he might have been tripped up by bacon.

1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Everyone speaks of the charter guests as paying a lot of money for the charter, so there should be a higher level of service. Do we really know if they pay that much? On something that's not televised, yes. But on reality tv? I really don't think that they pay that much. Not that they aren't still entitled to good service.

I've actually seen an ad to charter one of the yachts. It was years ago. It was cheaper by 50%. It was still a lot of money. One of the things that makes it cheaper is that they let you do shorter charters. Most want you to book a week at least. The Below Deck yachts let you book 2 and 3 day charters. A normal charter might be $200K a week. So production covers half of the cost and has the guests cover the other half. The guests pay about $10K - $20K a day. I don't think it's worth it, but I also don't have that kind of dough to blow.

1 hour ago, Giselle said:

I do.

Yes, Kate said it wasn't that the beef cheeks weren't good, they were,  but it was that he didn't do anything more than the bare minimum when it came to preparing meals.

It was a time to shine on television and he squandered it. He was too busy bitching at Kate and taking naps. He didn't care to put in effort. Even Amy called him out on it. He made himself look like a one hit wonder. That's what irked her and rightly so. 

Kate has at least presented different themes for guests when requested, she has created different centerpieces and table settings for meals ( I didn't care for this seasons table settings, seemed repetitive). She highlighted the tallents of get stews (Mermaid Rocky, club dancer Kyle)a d told them to be creative. She looks at it as a challenge to rise to the occasion, Leon didn't.

The thing Leon never seemed to understand was that there is a difference between being a restaurant chef and a yacht chef. When one goes to the French Laundry, they go knowing that they plan on being wowed by Thomas Keller's menu and food. The same isn't true of a yacht. Good food is part of the reason for chartering a yacht, but it isn't the sole purpose. Part of the appeal of a chartered yacht is that everything is being tailored to your likes, dislikes, and whims. Finding out that you've been given a standard dish does make the experience seem less special.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I would expect Adam to be clueless about dairy and separate plates and pans, but shellfish...that's so basic it's embarrassing. He shouldn't have been tripped up by shrimp anymore than he might have been tripped up by bacon.

I've actually seen an ad to charter one of the yachts. It was years ago. It was cheaper by 50%. It was still a lot of money. One of the things that makes it cheaper is that they let you do shorter charters. Most want you to book a week at least. The Below Deck yachts let you book 2 and 3 day charters. A normal charter might be $200K a week. So production covers half of the cost and has the guests cover the other half. The guests pay about $10K - $20K a day. I don't think it's worth it, but I also don't have that kind of dough to blow.

The thing Leon never seemed to understand was that there is a difference between being a restaurant chef and a yacht chef. When one goes to the French Laundry, they go knowing that they plan on being wowed by Thomas Keller's menu and food. The same isn't true of a yacht. Good food is part of the reason for chartering a yacht, but it isn't the sole purpose. Part of the appeal of a chartered yacht is that everything is being tailored to your likes, dislikes, and whims. Finding out that you've been given a standard dish does make the experience seem less special.

Well eating has always been very low on my list of things that need to be sublime when on vacation! While in Amsterdam, call me uncouth since I went to McDonalds once! They had a few extra items to order along with my Qtr#'r! I just hope not to be poisoned since people put so much trust in the handling and preparation of their food by total strangers! I find it probably one of the most "insane" things to do; abuse chefs and waitstaff! You're looking for trouble because these people are human beings who can be pushed only so far! There's so many things that can happen which would turn your stomach if you only knew what added spices might be included in your couscous, pasta primavera, or mixed drinks! The people from last night deserved to have anchors tied to their ankles as they were pushed down that silly slide! These idiots need to grow up in so many ways! ;-)

So it seems there's going to be an undercurrent of Hannah and Conrad are too busy mooning over each other/playing grab ass to do their jobs well.  Yawn.  I hope it isn't season long.

I don't know who annoys me more, barfing stew or romantic stew.  Neither are entertaining so far.

I can't believe that the female deckhand was bawling like a baby after a mild dress down from Joao.  I'd like to believe she was exhausted or homesick etc. and that was effecting her response.  However since she's been kind of pouty previously, I'm not sure that's the case.  It was nice of Hannah to comfort her. 

Rapping deckhand seems like he might be funny.  Too bad he's not drama enough to get screen time.

I'm not going to address how Adam's lack of planning and critical thinking made more work for himself, everyone already has.  I understand how frustrated he must have been though.  What a nightmare.  I am normally the last to scream producer manipulation, but for some reason these guests just seem like bad actors to me.   

I'm not sure this is shaping up to be a great season.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I think they're getting a MUCH discounted rate for the charter because it's being filmed, but I don't think that's been proved.  

Y'all have said everything I wanted to about Captain Sandy and the guests, but I've come here today to discuss a scourge affecting our nation and that is the desire to host "Great Gatsby" themed dinners and parties and weddings.  "The Great Gatsby" was not romantic or glamorous!  It was about selfish people who do mostly terrible things and at least two of them (spoiler alert) wind up dead in violent, tragic circumstances.  Have a Roaring '20s party or a Jazz Age wedding or, hell, just say its Baz Luhrmann themed, but I am calling for a total ban on all Great Gatsby-themed events until we can figure out what the hell is going on.  

This! The Great Gatsby is my favorite book but it’s a dark sad story about unrequited love and death and everyone in the novel is a vapid jerk. Ugh, yes let’s have a party based on that. Lol 

Anywho Sandy has turned into a horrible jerk. And I love me my Hannah but watching her moon over that too young for her deck hand makes me sad. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, sadie said:

Anywho Sandy has turned into a horrible jerk. And I love me my Hannah but watching her moon over that too young for her deck hand makes me sad. 

Conrad's the bosun and I haven't really Hannah mooning over him, rather two people flirting.  Why is that sad?

7 hours ago, Christi said:

I think she is just supposed to keep tabs on them and let Adam know their status.  Seems like a pretty important deal, since you are basically working for the tip from THEM.  Its not that big a boat, and if the guests are still in their rooms over an hour after dinner is supposed to be servied, that means the food is probably ruined.  I mean, Hannah can make her underlings do everything else, but she should really at least know where/what the guests are doing, especially since Sandy is on her ass about it.

That's exactly what she was doing.  Radioing to Adam that they were still in their staterooms getting ready.  He then bitched about how she should be able to manipulate them into arriving on time. She's not a hypnotist. Be frustrated with the guests, but don't blame Hannah for their tardiness.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 12
16 minutes ago, snarts said:

That's exactly what she was doing.  Radioing to Adam that they were still in their staterooms getting ready.  He then bitched about how she should be able to manipulate them into arriving on time. She's not a hypnotist. Be frustrated with the guests, but don't blame Hannah for their tardiness.

It's not summer camp, right?  Hannah is their Chief Stew, not their counselor or teacher.  She can tell them that dinner will start at 9:00, but if they're not there until 9:30 or 10, she can't force them out of their rooms.  To me, that's what chartering a luxury yacht is all about -- you get what you want, when you want it and the crew caters to you.  Guests can be polite and understanding about it, or they can be pushy, but it's their right.

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, snarts said:

Conrad's the bosun and I haven't really Hannah mooning over him, rather two people flirting.  Why is that sad?

It just seems like Hannah is trying too hard, my opinion is he’s too young for her and it just reads a bit desperate. YMMV. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

It's not summer camp, right?  Hannah is their Chief Stew, not their counselor or teacher.  She can tell them that dinner will start at 9:00, but if they're not there until 9:30 or 10, she can't force them out of their rooms.  To me, that's what chartering a luxury yacht is all about -- you get what you want, when you want it and the crew caters to you.  Guests can be polite and understanding about it, or they can be pushy, but it's their right.

Are you expecting that Adam should have scrapped the dinner that was ready at 9 and start over at 11? Because that is BS.  Just because they are on a yacht doesn't mean they get what they want when they want. They don't have the provisions for that. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Yeah I’m reading the Conrad/Hannah situation in the same way. It’s Conrad who has gone to Hannah consistently(helping with the scuff marks, during dinner, for example) and I don’t think it’s sad to flirt back with someone who is being openly interested in you. He’s younger but he’s not a child and she’s older but by, what, 7 years? *gasp* The horror! And in comparison to the rest of the men on board, he’s more mature and thoughtful and accomplished and he’s adorable. I hope they continue to enjoy themselves. 

Regarding Adam, Hannah was keeping tabs on the guests, but they’d proven themselves to be rather finnicky and I’m surprised Adam went as far as starting to plate dinner without confirming that the guests were there. He simply is a very poor planner and gets flustered and lashes out when things aren’t going his way. I really hope nothing develops with Brooke, because frankly, dude can’t handle that shit on top of all his other stresses, as illustrated last season. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 11

I liked Sandy so much previously, but I think after watching last season she felt betrayed. I agree with everyone else who thinks Joao is a dick, and someone who mentioned apartheid may be right.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect a restaurant like experience from one chef and a small kitchen. I would rather have the chef serve a few fantastic dishes for everyone, than be expected to be a line cook. I'm pretty sure if he's allowed to be, Adam is a good chef.

I'm not sure why people are getting panty twisted over Conrad and Hannah. Like how many 50+ guys are with 20 somethings. Hannah's a very pretty woman.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

You are mistaken, it is romantic. At least according to the stew who read the book saw the move.

This is also a pet peeve of mine. Let's have a Scarlet Letter themed party next. We can all wear letters on our chests. Red is the most romantic color!

• Love 6

Recent charter guests have me missing the occasional sane, nice people, and remembering when even the Housewives of Atlanta chose not to act like divas.  

I wouldn't mind just one season where Hannah wasn't looking for one of the guys of the crew to like her.  Conrad is friendly but thinking home equity and she seems ready to consider him her new nice guy.  Hannah's hunt is getting old, and rarely ends well.  jmho

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, pieinmyeye said:

Time to go Kasey and take ya-hoo with you. While you’re going, take these horribly obnoxious guests. I can understand keeping kosher and I have the utmost respect for that. What I don’t understand is the three hours between meat or chicken and dairy. 

Here’s some more info on the waiting between meat and dairy if anyone is interested. https://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/the-halachot-of-waiting-between-meals/ Most wait 6 hours or until the next meal but it does say that German Jews wait specifically 3 hours.

21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Only one of the guests, Honey kept kosher, she was not the one who requested surf and turf and was going to be having bass as her entree.

Kosher meat is slaughtered and butchered in a certain manner that includes a rabbis blessing and than when packaged is marked with a certification. The guests could have easily asked to see the packaging.

Kosher doesn’t need to be an expensive and he was purposely making it difficult for himself because vegan dishes are kosher so why they are extremely annoying he could have been much more efficient at menu planning.

Vegan food is technically still not kosher unless the package has the approved hechsher (kosher seal) on it. That’s not just for meats. So not all vegan food is automatically kosher to many. This site explains it as this person is Jewish and vegan. http://girliegirlarmy.com/lifestyle/20120915/kosher-and-vegan-double-trouble-or-easy-peasy/

16 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Regarding Joao, I'm feeling a bad vibe... How can I explain it in a not offensive way for anyone.... I can't find a better way to explain it, so here it is : Zimbabwe was/is a country with Apartheid, like South Africa... And, unfortunaltey, also were the "values" attached to it. And I think that Joao / his family and/or friends haven't received the memo regarding the fact that white blond male guys were NOT better than black people or female human beings... For me, it explains his total lack of respect regarding any women -rewatch the scenes where they're all out in an bar, look at how he ALWAYS finds a way to touch his female co-workers... Brooke's boob, Kassey's ass, etc....  And his way of talking to Jamie - a NON WHITE WOMAN- was so patronizing, condescendant, etc....

Yeah, I’ve wanted to bring it up but didn’t. I did a little research on white people in Zimbabwe after the first episode and I totally agree with your assessment of J-whatever. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people_in_Zimbabwe 

This explains the past involving the white minority and more recent developments: https://m.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/this-is-what-weve-been-waiting-for-zim-white-farmers-say-as-they-welcome-new-land-policy-20180202

13 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Adam clearly only said Kosher when speaking with the supplier.  He never said Glatt Kosher, which was specified on the preference sheet.  But then, unless the yacht also has separate dishes and utensils for meat and dairy I honestly think it's a little hypocritical if she expects everything she eats to be completely "kosher" (pun intended).

Yeah, also this. She can’t really be all that strict about it. https://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/almost-kosher-not-really-kosher/

13 hours ago, NaughtyKitty said:

He could just make vegan dishes and add the meat/seafood as a side for the other guests.  Viola-- easy peasy!  But less dramuh

It’s not as easy as that to make something kosher. And a lot of meat eaters would have a (surprising) problem with that setup in my experience (lifelong veg), especially since it would all be for just one vegan since that food would still not actually be kosher. (But then again nothing prepared on the ship would be because it was in a non kosher kitchen...)

(Sorry this is so link heavy!)

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Vegan food is technically still not kosher unless the package has the approved hechsher (kosher seal) on it. Not all vegan food is automatically kosher. This site explains it as this person is Jewish and

He was using Brailla pasta and vegetables for the vegan dishes. Produce is kosher and the other products he was using for the vegan  were kosher. Honey specified in her initial meeting that she would be fine with salads and vegetables and not meat, Adam chose to make it more difficult for himself. I wasn’t suggesting all her meals be vegan but the pasta dish could have easily been served to both.

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He was using Brailla pasta and vegetables for the vegan dishes. Produce is kosher and the other products he was using for the vegan  were kosher. Honey specified in her initial meeting that she would be fine with salads and vegetables and not meat, Adam chose to make it more difficult for himself.

I’m sure he didn’t check the vegetables this extensively. Kosher laws really don’t mess around. https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/82683/jewish/Kosher-Fruits-and-Vegetables.htm

It’s all kind of moot anyway because the kitchen itself isn’t kosher.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

I’m sure he didn’t check the vegetables this extensively. Kosher laws really don’t mess around. https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/82683/jewish/Kosher-Fruits-and-Vegetables.htm

It’s all kind of moot anyway because the kitchen itself isn’t kosher.

Knowing several chefs checking for insect infestation is pretty much the first thing you do when inspecting vegetables, kosher or not.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Knowing several chefs checking for insect infestation is pretty much the first thing you do when inspecting vegetables, kosher or not.

Ok, obviously, but generally not to this extent to try to avoid even the tiniest possible insect or insect part?

Leafy vegetables such as cabbage and lettuce should be checked leaf by leaf. Washing under running water or soaking in salt water is helpful, but the vegetables must also be inspected under a bright light, either daylight or artificial light. 

Anyway, I’m moving on from this because the dietary laws are what they are. https://oukosher.org/ou-guide-to-checking-produce-and-more/

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

Ok, obviously, but generally not to this extent to try to avoid even the tiniest possible insect or insect part?

Leafy vegetables such as cabbage and lettuce should be checked leaf by leaf. Washing under running water or soaking in salt water is helpful, but the vegetables must also be inspected under a bright light, either daylight or artificial light. 

Yes. Washing and inspecting leafy produce carefully is very common because that can wig out a customer like nothing else quicker than a hair. 

• Love 1

Okay, but let’s be real here. This woman is not that strictly kosher if she’s cool eating in a kitchen that is comfortably cooking up shellfish right next to the kosher meat, so i’m thinking she isn’t all that picky about the vegetables. I’m thinking her biggest concern was that the meat is glatt kosher(and not, like, hebrew national) and that the meals aren’t mixed with meat and dairy. Which is fine, people observe in their own ways, but I don’t think all of these detailed rules are applying to this specific person when the kitchen where everything being cooked isn’t even kosher. 

• Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Ok, all chefs do all this, specific to each vegetable or fruit, kosher or not...sure. https://oukosher.org/ou-guide-to-checking-produce-and-more/ 

Those are one organizations recommendation but even they say on the site that it’s merely a recommendation and most of what they list is fairly standard in the food world. Most of it I do at home and I am not Kosher just not a fan of insects unless I know I am eating them.

I wonder why Honey has such crappy demanding friends that they couldn’t have at least chosen between a kosher or vegan meal for two days.

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Okay, but let’s be real here. This woman is not that strictly kosher if she’s cool eating in a kitchen that is comfortably cooking up shellfish right next to the kosher meat, so i’m thinking she isn’t all that picky about the vegetables. I’m thinking her biggest concern was that the meat is glatt kosher(and not, like, hebrew national) and that the meals aren’t mixed with meat and dairy. Which is fine, people observe in their own ways, but I don’t think all of these detailed rules are applying to this specific person when the kitchen where everything being cooked isn’t even kosher. 

Right, I acknowledged the kitchen wasn’t even kosher so it’s all a moot point, and her meals wouldn’t even be considered kosher regardless.  I’m pointing out the fact that vegan and kosher are not the same thing and there are many, many dietary laws in Judaism that aren’t around meat alone and specific guidelines (such as not using canned artichokes at all) for different produce that strict kosher observant Jews follow. There’s a reason why packaged and kosher seal approved produce exists. Adam seemed clueless about kosher in general, let alone all that. 

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Those are one organizations recommendation but even they say on the site that it’s merely a recommendation and most of what they list is fairly standard in the food world. Most of it I do at home and I am not Kosher just not a fan of insects unless I know I am eating them.

I wonder why Honey has such crappy demanding friends that they couldn’t have at least chosen between a kosher or vegan meal for two days.

This isn’t “one organization” it’s the Orthodox Union..they would be the one to make said recommendations...they’re the most trusted and largest certifier of kosher food. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Union  

I didn’t realize you owned the manual. What’s listed on the site is just an overview. It says “essential rules.” I’m done with this topic. 

I thought it was kinda funny that one lady asked if they “had any Alfredo sauce” like that’s something people have just laying around. I half expected Adam to open a jar, I was glad when he did not and actually made some.

Anyway, I miss Captain Lee and Kate. Sandy sucks and I’ve never been too fond of Hannah. I think Ben has been the only impressive chef on the franchise.

Edited by Rebecca
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Right, I acknowledged the kitchen wasn’t even kosher so it’s all a moot point, and her meals wouldn’t even be considered kosher regardless.  I’m pointing out the fact that vegan and kosher are not the same thing and there are many, many dietary laws in Judaism that aren’t around meat alone and specific guidelines (such as not using canned artichokes at all) for different produce that strict kosher observant Jews follow. There’s a reason why packaged and kosher seal approved produce exists. Adam seemed clueless about kosher in general, let alone all that. 

This isn’t “one organization” it’s the Orthodox Union..they would be the one to make said recommendations... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Union  

Anyway, I miss Captain Lee and Kate. 

There are actually a variety of different organizations who make recommendations about Kosher laws but my point was based on their own language these were just recommendations not actual requirements and were also fairly standard vegetable prep.

One thing I am wondering about food service is typically on both the original and this one a deckhand or a stew is assigned to basically be a prep sous for at least dinner service but that doesn’t seem to be the case this season. Is it because what’s her name is so bad at her job that they can’t spare someone? It seems odd, since this is the first time it’s been the chef completely solo without prep help.

Edited by biakbiak

This is the first time I've heard them say that they usually provision food and set a menu and have that menu, and that menu alone, available on the yacht.  Logistically, that makes sense, if only for space reasons, but it does not seem to ever work that way on this show.  It also feels contrary to the idea of five-star accomodations.

• Love 3