Type keyword(s) to search

The Mysteries Of Laura - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Laura had absolutely no business getting involved with a potential suspect.    I knew it was the boss's wife from the get go.

I have pretty much lost interest in this show.  If there were something else on at this time I wouldn't be watching it.  It's a shame it's such a crappy show because the cast is great. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

It was risky for her to get involved with a potential suspect.  Had he been the one, she would have compromised the entire investigation.  For once I did not see the killer right away, so it was fun for me.  This is not 'must see' tv, but I do enjoy the cast, and it's nice mindless entertainment for the middle of the week.  The biggest concern in our house was that Laura and Food Truck Guy were making out in his truck which appeared to be open to the street and anyone who might be passing by.  Not seemly for a police detective.  Also found it a bit 'hookey' that FTG couldn't see the light on top of Laura's car even if he couldn't hear the siren.  That should have tipped him off.

• Love 1

I like it because it's cop show lite, the actors are good, and the dialogue is good enough. I won't complain if it's canceled, but I often choose to watch it before other shows.

Neal Bledsoe, who played Laura's love interest with the obviously fake graying hair, is 12 years younger than Debra Messing--but hey, she looks great.

The food truck guy was good looking. But are we really supposed to buy she is that unprofessional to not only get involved with a suspect before the case is closed and make out on the counter of his truck in public.

I am officially renaming this show to "The Mysteries of Why in the Hell am I still watching !"

• Love 1

Arson leads to the death of a teenage boy; chemistry sparks between Jake and a former flame; Laura tries to set aside work and focus on the twins and their winter carnival.

The Mentalist is on opposite The Mysteries of Laura in a few minutes.

Hmmm...let's see. Which should I watch live and which later?

Oh. I see: "focus on the twins"

See ya later 'gators.

ETA: A bit of a snoozer, but just a little bit of the little boys.

And a lot bit of WTFery on Social Services at the end.

Edited by shapeshifter

And a lot bit of WTFery on Social Services at the end.

I'll say!  I'm pretty sure that woman would be facing some serious charges re child endangerment.  Although, if she'd had help in the first place it would have gone down differently.  I'm glad the hero guy really was a hero.

• Love 2

I liked the food truck guy. I thought he had great chemistry with Laura. I really hope we see him again. It's funny in that I started watching the show because Josh Lucas is in it. I wouldn't have even watched it otherwise as I normally go for more serious dramas, but to my surprise I really like the show.

I too pegged the wife early on.

I was shocked to find the husband was played by Bronson Pinchot! Balki!! I didn't even recognize him, though I think it was the voice. No accent!

They did get me on this one.  These shows can be so formulaic sometimes that we had it pegged as the 'hero' guy right from the start.  It was a nice surprise and a bit of a change that they didn't go for the obvious.  I also thought it was a nice low-key way to point out (not that I think this show tries for any kind of social conscience) the problems that can face single parents of either sex when they don't have a good support system around them.  Food Truck Guy can stay around a while longer.  I'm growing to like him more and more.

I'll say!  I'm pretty sure that woman would be facing some serious charges re child endangerment.  Although, if she'd had help in the first place it would have gone down differently.  I'm glad the hero guy really was a hero.

...It was a nice surprise and a bit of a change that they didn't go for the obvious.  I also thought it was a nice low-key way to point out (not that I think this show tries for any kind of social conscience) the problems that can face single parents of either sex when they don't have a good support system around them....

As a single mother myself, I just hope there aren't too many viewers who think a mom whose home burned down with her kid in it unattended would get that kind of help.

Since she took him to work with her in the daytime, why didn't she take him at night too, especially since the apartment was unheated?  Waking him up for a bit was definitely the lesser of two evils.

As a single mother myself, I just hope there aren't too many viewers who think a mom whose home burned down with her kid in it unattended would get that kind of help.

No, but it would be nice if they did.  Far too often we are too quick to condemn rather than try to understand and help.  <sigh>

• Love 3

As silly as this show is, I do find that I enjoy it.  However, I really really hope that Laura is genuinely ok with Jake moving on.  It is fine to show the minefield that is navigating post divorce- parenting, but she has a hot, talented and fun boyfriend (that I really like).

• Love 2

As silly as this show is, I do find that I enjoy it. However, I really really hope that Laura is genuinely ok with Jake moving on. It is fine to show the minefield that is navigating post divorce- parenting, but she has a hot, talented and fun boyfriend (that I really like).

Agree completely. I like the food truck guy! There is a reason Laura and Jake got divorced. It's not going to be better the second time around.

This show is silly and fun and entertaining. It works for me.

• Love 1

I'm actually kind of grateful they've backed off of some of Jake's worst boundary errors. I thought it was kind of creepy that he thought he was going to get back into her life by invading her personal space.

• Love 2

Jake was UNBELIEVABLY obnoxious in this week's episode. Way over the top, even for him. Why on earth would Laura ever want to go back to him? I know there are fans who are shipping these two, and I don't understand why. Both Food Truck Tony and Detective Alejandro are better choices. 

• Love 1

Jake was UNBELIEVABLY obnoxious in this week's episode. Way over the top, even for him. Why on earth would Laura ever want to go back to him? I know there are fans who are shipping these two, and I don't understand why. Both Food Truck Tony and Detective Alejandro are better choices.

My take is that Jake is someone familiar to each other--they know each other, know each other's bodies, know what to do to turn the other person on sexually. And I think Laura has to get comfortable with the idea of being sexy and intimate with someone besides the jerk she was married to for years. She loves Tony, and Det. Alejandro's attention is flattering, but it also probably made her a little uncomfortable.

What I don't buy is that Jake isn't a skirt-chasing jerk anymore just because he realizes he still loves Laura. That part doesn't ring true.

• Love 1

An investigation into the death of a star athlete leads the detectives to the dark side of one of NYC's most elite prep schools. Laura and Jake team up undercover and sparks fly.

Cute and heartwarming except for the dead angelic kid and his poor father.
  • Love 2

I'm still watching! This show really snuck up on me. For all its flaws, I've grown to like a lot about it. All the characters are fun to watch (with the exception of that tool Jake), and it's turned into a real ensemble show, with the supporting cast being utilized well. I hope it gets a second season. 

• Love 2

Not a lot of chatter on this show which is a shame. I came here to post about the last episode and there isn't even a thread for it.

I like watching it after I come home late from work because it doesn't require paying too much attention like other shows that have "Easter eggs" and clues to catch. Unfortunately, however, I'm usually half asleep while watching, so it doesn't stick with me. Since nobody replied to this thread, I didn't bother starting one for the last episode, and now I can't remember it, LOL.

Anyone can start a thread.

I think most of the mods recommend using the info at http://thetvdb.com to get air date, title, and episode description.

Just

• click on the main board link for the show,
  • click the green Start Topic button,
  • put a check in the box for Use Episode Format?,
  • fill in the info, and
  • click the green Post New Topic button.
  • Love 2

When a former beauty queen is stabbed to death, Laura's ex-fiance becomes the prime suspect.

The episode deserves its own topic because of that magical moment of the surprise (to me) Will & Grace reunion.

The rest of the episode might have been an old Murder She Wrote script.

There were so many red herrings I needed to burn a candle to get rid of the fish smell.

Even the swatted bug turned out to be a red herring.

I am probably alone almost liking Jake's single-minded focus on getting back with Laura. My only problem with it is that IRL, once a cheater, always a cheater, so he either wouldn't have cheated at all, or he wouldn't be so dedicated to her now.

The new girl fit in way better than I anticipated. Good job new girl and new girl writers!

• Love 1

His coat could have its own tv show.

I've missed several episodes so I hadn't seen the new girl before.  I was afraid she had replaced Max so I was relieved that he's still there and I loved his story line.  I liked her but I like Meredith and Billy together too and this episode they weren't together much.

I figured it was the sister since she was the beneficiary.  And she just looked like the guilty party.

My main problem with this show is how Laura is always such an object of desire to every guy who is on the show.  I guess that's the whole premise of the show but it's my least liked part of it.

• Love 2

I just need Jake to let it go. I'm not getting love from that character, I'm getting spoiled toddler who can't stand that someone said no to him. If we have to live with the ridiculous cop reporting to her unfaithful ex storyline, I'm not OK with him pursuing her. It kind of destroys the whole lovable regular guy thing they seem to be going for.

• Love 2

My main problem with this show is how Laura is always such an object of desire to every guy who is on the show.  I guess that's the whole premise of the show but it's my least liked part of it.

I was coming on just to say the same thing! Don't get me wrong I think Debra Messing is beautiful, but having almost every guy on the show wanting to date her, loving her or flirting with her us getting so tiresome. Its like she only agreed to do the show if they have at least one guy panting all over her on each episode!

• Love 2

I was coming on just to say the same thing! Don't get me wrong I think Debra Messing is beautiful, but having almost every guy on the show wanting to date her, loving her or flirting with her us getting so tiresome. Its like she only agreed to do the show if they have at least one guy panting all over her on each episode!

I think it's fun, but it backs itself into a corner, because they're all awesome, AND they're more awesome than Jake.

• Love 1

Yeah, it was kind of fun seeing "Will and Grace" back together, but still - so early and only in its first season, it screamed of desperation. And Eric McCormack, God love him, is not aging half as well as Debra Messing (or, at least, doesn't have as good a surgeon). I like the show well enough without the stunt casting, it's a shame they felt the need. 

I liked the little side story they had for Max.

Edited by iMonrey

The chemistry between Messing and McCormack still sizzles after all these years!  I really, really love watching these two together.  They freakin' click like mad whenever they are together!  I hope Eric can guest star on this show again.  Devlin and Laura seems to be full of possibilities. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it was kind of fun seeing "Will and Grace" back together, but still - so early and only in its first season, it screamed of desperation. And Eric McCormack, God love him, is not aging half as well as Debra Messing (or, at least, doesn't have as good a surgeon). I like the show well enough without the stunt casting, it's a shame they felt the need.

I liked the little side story they had for Max.

I never watched Will and Grace, and I thought as soon as they started interacting that they'd clearly worked together before. They're really good together.

I'm another person who didn't watch "Will and Grace," so the casting didn't bother me. I liked their interactions, but I agree with other posters who wonder why every guy who comes through the precinct has to fall for Laura.

One thing I loved--the scene with Laura's messy living room. That's reality for a working mom who's tired after work and doesn't see the point of cleaning up after the kids till they've gone to bed. But where's the tough babysitter who made the boys do chores? Seems like she's the only person who keeps the boys in check.

• Love 2

...And Eric McCormack, God love him, is not aging half as well as Debra Messing....

Well, maybe not from the neck up, but otherwise....wow, he's 51??? Plus, she's 46. When I was 46 I looked 36. Then menopause hit 2 years later and now I look like Eric McCormack, LOL.
  • Love 2

I'm glad they softened bitchy jealous woman cop HATES Laura to a competent co-worker who often works with L.

But here is what I couldn't get past in this dumb episode.  The genius software nerd girl dumped the memory on her computer before Laura and her fellows could get to her...but the screen grab that they showed to demonstrate the memory dump was a format screen for a 1.4 MB floppy disk.  (Please insert diskette into drive A).  Those disks went obsolete back in the 90s.  I wish TPTB would spend just a bit more attention to detail.

• Love 1

I'm glad they softened bitchy jealous woman cop HATES Laura to a competent co-worker who often works with L.

I like that her initial issues sprung from professional competitiveness, and she got past it when she saw that Laura was actually good at her job. I'm even liking sorority cop. 

I hope this comes back. It's not brilliant, but it's got a lot less frustrating and awful to it than a lot of shows I watch with flashes of brilliance, at least as long as they keep the dog ex-husband on the sidelines.

I prefer my procedurals light hearted, so I'll miss this too if it gets cancelled. Plus, I really like seeing Tony and Laura together. Neal Bledseo is just so.... erghm.

Anyways, I second liking the way they've gone with Meredith getting over her competitiveness with Laura. Kinda. I mean, this episode showed her still being a bit bratty in not trading shifts with Laura, but I like that she didn't do it just because Billy wanted her to and she clearly has a crush. 

Also, I found it amusing that Max talking about how to deal post wax was "too much" and not Laura announcing she got waxed in the first place and that Billy just took it all in stride. I imagine Billy and Laura's Palster match would be pretty compatible as well.

Laura helps investigate a sailor's murder, and she uses the case to avoid celebrating her birthday. Meanwhile, Billy must team up with a hard-nosed naval investigator.

Had to start this thread to point out that according to "Laura Diamond triangulating GPS" Catfish Nancy lives at the same location as the fatal gas explosion that occurred 5 days ago.

So sad for Meredith.

I thought it was kind of cute that they played with the hardassed obstructive-yet-oversexed NCIS agent thing.

Taking it to the shallow end, wow, I can't believe how much work Kathie Lee Gifford has had done. I remember when her whole thing was being fresh faced. Which I guess shows how old I am.

Had to start this thread to point out that according to "Laura Diamond triangulating GPS" Catfish Nancy lives at the same location as the fatal gas explosion that occurred 5 days ago.

That is an amazing coincidence!

I liked the episode.  I thought the mystery was a little more interesting than usual.

I thought Laura was pretty gracious about the party. Wonder if she (Laura, not Debra) really is pregnant.

Poor Meredith, indeed!  I think she should let Billy know how she feels. 

(edited)

I knew she'd have known about the party all along. I like that she's consistently a great detective. I also like how she handled both Frankie and Max. 

As for the possible pregnancy, I don't usually care about tv pregnancies one way or another, but if this means Tony stays in the picture then bring it on! He was sorely missed this episode.

What was with that look that Billy gave Meredith when she first sat down? Annoyance? He has to know she likes him. I thought they'd already been out on a date earlier in the season, but then after the episode when Frankie joined and made that comment about them being into each other but not know it yet and now this... 

By the way, I'm loving that there are more female cops in this show than male. It became especially obvious with Billy in the car on stake out with the NCIS woman, but then him getting calls from both Meredith and Laura. And even though they don't show Laura doing a lot of take downs (the cold opens always have Billy or someone else running after the perp), Meredith kicks down doors and tackles perps, as does Frankie.

Edited by Check Sanity

From TV Guide:

The team go inside the world of NCAA basketball while investigating the murder of a teacher's aide, and Laura must balance this case with a huge personal crisis.

Just a couple of weeks too late to be timely. 

Not a bad episode.  I like Jake when he's just Laura's boss or even as her ex-husband but he's not trying to get her back.  Loved all the basketball stuff with the nanny.

And Laura's not pregnant - I did like that Tony wanted to talk about having children.

Meredith and Frankie are great together; and at least Meredith wasn't mooning over Billy this episode.  I think I like these three characters the best - they could have their own show with maybe Max too and I would watch it.

Still no word on if it's been cancelled or not but, from various things I've read there is a possibility that it will be renewed.

Edited by Trey

Meredith and Frankie are great together; and at least Meredith wasn't mooning over Billy this episode.  I think I like these three characters the best - they could have their own show with maybe Max too and I would watch it.

I'm a little surprised, but I would too. It's kind of nice to watch competent women work together without turning into high school mean girls. Max could stand to grow up a bit, but he's kind of endearing too.

• Love 2

I laughed when Laura walked in while Max was on the phone with Tony and he had to say "Sorry my mistake that was an identical stranger."

This really is a "girl power" show, especially with the addition of Frankie, and that's kind of neat. It's like a grown up Nancy Drew. The mysteries are about as deep as that but I'm fine with it. It's cute and fun. It's not reinventing the wheel but I like it.

I have to say, though, that the pregnancy angst rings a bit false. Not that Laura is too old to get pregnant, although I'm guessing the character is being presented as younger than Debra Messing really is. But I think this whole issue was just a way to show us how wonderful Tony is by giving him the opportunity to tell us he loves kids and wants to have them some day. Laura really seemed impressed with that. And I've got to say, if she's thinking of having kids with Tony "one day" she better get on the stick. Literally.

• Love 4

When a murdered club kid is tied to a string of Diamond District jewel heists, Laura and the team have to stop a robbery crew to solve a murder. Meanwhile, Jake's violation of divorced-parent etiquette forces Laura to reevaluate the seriousness of her relationship with Tony.

Not great, but still better than the Pilot. This may be the first time we heard the twins first names, but that's okay. Off-screen little kids who can't act are a good thing.

Driving the SUV through the jewelry store window was fun since nobody got a scratch.

The SUV through the window was cool but I was ticked at her for shooting the tires out on that truck so the parachutist couldn't land in it - she could have just as easily held up her hand and motioned him to the side.

I missed the first few minutes of the show so I didn't see what Jake did that upset Laura.

I'm glad she didn't dump Tony - he seems to be good for her and gets along well with the kids.

Once again Meredith and Frankie make a great team.

I missed the first few minutes of the show so I didn't see what Jake did that upset Laura.

She found some FDNY swag his fire inspector gave the kids and freaked out because she thought they were casual and he shouldn't have exposed the kids to her. Then she freaked out some more because he said she was his girlfriend and questioned her not introducing the boys to Tony. Then he mansplained her feelings to her and she stormed out. 

• Love 2