Type keyword(s) to search

The Mysteries Of Laura - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

The Jake/Laura relationship has made them completely insufferable.

Why did they have to turn this show into a soap opera? This is why I don't watch doctor shows.

I mean, I would have even been okay with Jake marrying his end-of-life crush if they could have done it with grace and humor. They could have had Laura okay with it, and then if they wanted Jake and Laura as end game, have Jenn realize "marry in haste; repent at leisure" and go on from there. But no. The whole season has been Days Of Laura's Lives. Or is it Days Of Jake's Lives? Whatever.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I know I shouldn't expect much of this show, but I liked season 1 as an easy to watch when bored show. But this whole Jake/Laura thing is awful and makes them both seem like terrible people. What was wrong with them just figuring out how to be divorced co-workers? Now it's just a trite storyline with two actors who can't provide the depth and nuance that might make it interesting, if still trite. Ugh.

• Love 3

What a crap ending.  I didn't want Laura to get back together with lying, cheating Jake but I wanted her to give him the boot, not the other way around.

Well, maybe it won't be renewed and we won't have to put up with their wretched "love" life anymore.

Ditto to what Julia said. - another loser of a husband somehow turned into a good guy.

• Love 2

Why did they have to turn this show into a soap opera? This is why I don't watch doctor shows.

I mean, I would have even been okay with Jake marrying his end-of-life crush if they could have done it with grace and humor. They could have had Laura okay with it, and then if they wanted Jake and Laura as end game, have Jenn realize "marry in haste; repent at leisure" and go on from there. But no. The whole season has been Days Of Laura's Lives. Or is it Days Of Jake's Lives? Whatever.

Even with such a cliched trope, they somehow made it even worse than it needed to be.

• Love 2

I know I shouldn't expect much of this show, but I liked season 1 as an easy to watch when bored show. But this whole Jake/Laura thing is awful and makes them both seem like terrible people. What was wrong with them just figuring out how to be divorced co-workers? Now it's just a trite storyline with two actors who can't provide the depth and nuance that might make it interesting, if still trite. Ugh.

I totally agree. But I don't think the failure lies with the actors. It's a complete FUBAR by the writers and showrunners. 

I liked this show, and I love looking at Laz Alonzo every week, but now that the possible rekindled romance is a reality, I'm out. 

I do hope the season gets renewed, just because it's nice to see a relatively diverse cast continue to work, but I won't be part of the audience. 

• Love 2

I do hope the [series] gets renewed, just because it's nice to see a relatively diverse cast continue to work, but I won't be part of the audience.

I'd give it a chance in hopes that it was completely retooled with the soap opera replaced with comedic bits similar to Modern Family.
Ditto to what Julia said. - another loser of a husband somehow turned into a good guy.

In much the same way as the drug-dealer sister who got her boyfriend killed last week is now a relationship authority *and* someone she trusts with her kids.

• Love 7

Sigh.  As soon as Jake bought that engagement ring, I knew how this would turn out.   Yup, suffer the trauma of having your boss killed, and then go get engaged to a woman you've been dating all of like 3 weeks (and her being stupid enough to accept - sheesh!).  Then of course, ex-wife gets a kick in the ass and goes dashing out to stop the engagement.   And this is season cliff-hanger DRAMA (eye roll here).

At this point adult people (who wouldn't have behaved like this anyway) would step back and maybe Jake would gently have to take Jen aside and tell her he jumped the gun with the engagement and needs time....  Will that happen on THIS show?  Nah, we know it won't.   The next cliffhanger will be Jake and Jen at their wedding and .....    

It's a shame how they've ruined an otherwise okay show with this crap.  Count me as somebody else who will probably bail after this season.  

• Love 2

While I liked the way the mystery unfolded, I didn't care for the way Santiani's husband got off scot-free at the end. He was apparently an abusive husband and Santiani even had a restraining order out against him. He was indirectly responsible for her death but since he helped catch the bad guys all's forgiven? WTF? 

Anyway, Scott Cohen will forever be known to me as Wolf from The 10th Kingdom.

Perfect casting of Mercedes Ruehl as Santiani's mother. She really looked like her.

I agree the Soap Opera 101 aspect of Jake and Laura is killing the show. It's currently a toss-up for renewal. The fact that NBC has renewed a whole slew of other shows already but not this one isn't a good sign. My prediction is they'll order a 13-episode season and hold it back until next spring.

• Love 2

In much the same way as the drug-dealer sister who got her boyfriend killed last week is now a relationship authority *and* someone she trusts with her kids.

Biggest character whiplash in 1 episode.

It's a shame how they've ruined an otherwise okay show with this crap.  Count me as somebody else who will probably bail after this season.

Same here.

(edited)

And absolutely the press conference where the cops bragged on putting a large hurt on the real big drug dealer would be facing into the light of an unobstructed window. Because it's totally worth the bad visuals to let the man with the snipers know exactly where the people who hurt him are going to be. In front of cameras. In case he wants to send a message.

Seriously! My first thought was, after the big bad drug lord threatens to find out who Laura is and kill her, why the hell would you put on a press conference announcing her by name? That's just STUPID. Here, bad guys, here's her real name, so you can look into her family and friends and kill them, and we made her come to this conference so you could take a good clean shot at her too. 

Frankly, I wanted to punch her sister for acting so smug, getting away with not going to prison, seeming to not give a shit that her actions led to people (not just her boyfriend but legitimately ill people) dying. And then she wants to come stay with Laura, painting a big target on Laura's home and everyone who lives there? Fuck that.

I really like Debra Messing and all the actors on the show, but this is really annoying writing.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

My favorite parts were Max and Laura hugging, and the "end of watch" call for Captain Santiani, which made me cry.

The Jake and Laura bullshit, the whiplash about the sister, and the treating of an abusive ex-husband as if he were simply a good guy who made a couple mistakes (that got his ex MURDERED!) just pisses me off.

• Love 6

My favorite parts were Max and Laura hugging, and the "end of watch" call for Captain Santiani, which made me cry.

The Jake and Laura bullshit, the whiplash about the sister, and the treating of an abusive ex-husband as if he were simply a good guy who made a couple mistakes (that got his ex MURDERED!) just pisses me off.

It should've just ended with Santiani's send off.

• Love 8

While I liked the way the mystery unfolded, I didn't care for the way Santiani's husband got off scot-free at the end. He was apparently an abusive husband and Santiani even had a restraining order out against him. He was indirectly responsible for her death but since he helped catch the bad guys all's forgiven? WTF?

Anyway, Scott Cohen will forever be known to me as Wolf from The 10th Kingdom.

Yay for the 10th Kingdom. That's always where I go with him.

As for the first part, I was confused too. Suddenly he's not so bad? This was another example of poor long-term planning for this show. They made the "ghost" of Satiani's husband so bad that it makes his not-so-badness unbelievable when he actually shows up.  Same thing for Jake/Laura. They made Jake such a long-term cheating pig and it doesn't work that Laura (and everyone else) want a reunion.

• Love 1

Yes!  I really enjoyed the show in its first season ... the dynamics when Jake was the boss and when Frankie was there.  It was funny and light-hearted and Laura was seen as a strong independent woman.  Now she's gotten all crying and girly...I mean, seriously?  He cheated on you!  And it didn't take him long to move on with other women.  Seriously??  She should have stuck with Tony, they should've kept Frankie and they should continue to showcase / highlight more of the non-mysteries (e.g., her family life, her sons getting into trouble, etc)

The Jake/Laura relationship has made them completely insufferable.

• Love 2

omg I was a goner with the End of Watch call ... that was devastatingly sad and apparently how NYPD actually does it.  I cried like a mad woman.

• Love 5

and I think may have overestimated how much the audience wants to see Jake and Laura get back together, or not.

Yes, but at least they seemed to admit they had no idea whether the audience wants them together or not. Of course, that should've been a clue that the audience does not care to see that plot continued.

I do wonder if there will be a Season 3 though.  I mean how do you get out of this conundrum!  It's a lose-lose case here ... Jake already asked clueless over there to marry him! 

And if they were to get back together, then will he change precincts?  I thought married couples couldn't work together especially not as boss and detective.

Yes, but at least they seemed to admit they had no idea whether the audience wants them together or not. Of course, that should've been a clue that the audience does not care to see that plot continued.

I do wonder if there will be a Season 3 though.  I mean how do you get out of this conundrum!  It's a lose-lose case here ... Jake already asked clueless over there to marry him! 

And that right there is ridiculous, because what single professional woman with two fatherless children is actually going to marry a single dad with two kids who was at fault in his own divorce after four dates?

• Love 1

I know right? Jen be trippin' or desperate!

And that right there is ridiculous, because what single professional woman with two fatherless children is actually going to marry a single dad with two kids who was at fault in his own divorce after four dates?

I liked Jen and I think she worked well with Laura.  I think they should both dump Jake and just team up together - as a crime fighting team only, nothing more:)

• Love 1

I also saw Debra Messing on a daytime talk show last week, and while there was no definitive mention of another season, they spoke about the show in the present tense (not like it was dead).

ETA: I just remembered it was on the Meredith Vierra show (in case someone wants to Google it).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Cool.  I know it's not the greatest show, and it's not my favourite show, but it fills a spot on Wednesday night and it's easy watching. And I like the characters.

• Love 1
(edited)

I see it has been awhile since this topic has been visited.  I'd like to revamp it with an unpopular opinion. . .  I actually do want to see Jake and Laura get back together, and stay together.  

In the first season I felt very much the same as y'all do about the guy.  It was downright impossible to even care when he got shot. But it gave me hope, that, after a close brush with death he'd finally be able to make changes and redeem himself.  It has been slow and imperfect but from the start of the show it's been clear that Jake's story is that of redemption.  I've disliked the guy but never stopped believing he could and would change.  It was obvious Tony was only passing through Laura's life until then.

While he's had some moments throughout the first several episodes of the second season,--and I don't mean keeping his medical condition from Laura, because I can understand why he wouldn't tell her the whole of it just yet, so I don't hold that against him--I do believe he's changed and grown very much since the last season.  The man he was at the end of last season is not the man he is at the end of this.  And I believe, being with Laura, he would grow much more yet.  He's going to do everything he can to keep her. 

And let's be real, Laura may not have ever cheated on a guy, but she's no saint when it comes to relationships.  Look what she did to Tony.

Edited by LeeBlue
Forgot to add a little something.

I liked the actors and some of the characters. It's just a real shame they made it impossible to root for the attractive, charming couple with the two young children to get together. 

Wow, the shows I watch are getting dropped left and right! Castle, Agent Carter, Bones (after a shortened season next fall), now Mysteries of Laura... networks better step it up! I'm running out of enjoyable shows and I'm doubting their ability to present excellent (or even just "good enough / interesting") new ones.

I'm not devastated to see this show go, mainly because the Jake/Laura stuff was tiresome, especially when they made it seem like Laura's fault and failings, not Jake's (like she should not be so mad at him for cheating on her or not wanting to get back with him just because that's what he wanted). But overall I was enjoying watching it, I wanted to see what they'd do next fall with the news that Jake was already engaged to his girlfriend, and I loved the character Max, so I will miss this show.

I really hate when shows don't get good closure. *grumble grumble

• Love 2

Can't feel too bad about Bones going. It's overstayed it's welcome by quite a lot. Or Castle. Same deal.  Agent Carter, now that was a loss. And The Muppets. And Galavant. Maybe even Undateable (which really flourished when they went live). 

• Love 1

I too will miss this delightful show. While like most, it had its problems, I enjoyed the relationships between the characters, the murders had some good twists and turns (unlike some episodes of Castle where fans jokes that the killer always showed up at minute 12), and Laura dressed like a woman in a tough job, and not like a supermodel. I went through the renewal scorecard at tvline.com and realized that over the past year, 19 shows that I watched are now gone (yes, I am addicted to TV). There are a number of pilots that I'm looking forward too, but its always a crapshoot come Fall when we find out if the new shows live up to their hype. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh, no doubt about Bones and Castle, Kromm. I've gone on at length about some of my frustrations with Bones over the years (mostly over on LiveJournal, in the Bones communities there back in the day), so while I enjoy all the actors involved, I think the writing for all those characters went downhill long ago, wasting the acting talents of those involved. I haven't had great love for that show since season 2. Sadly. For Castle, I think it was more consistent with its characterizations than Bones has been, but I haven't full out loved Castle since probably season 3? Still I enjoyed being able to see Nathan Fillion every week. Again, I feel like the writing wasted the talents of those involved. Stana got the most to do, but they could have given Nathan more to do than turning Castle into a bumbling joke of the week. He was much smoother and smarter and snarkier (marvelously so) in the beginning seasons. 

Perhaps it's time they all got to do something fresh and new. But it is still quite an amazing thing, to see so many of the shows I watched ending almost all at the same time. And I'm really going to miss Agent Carter. Great show, awesome actors. But -- like with Firefly -- maybe it's lucky it never got beyond the early seasons. Those shows will always be fond in memory, never going "downhill" like so many shows that start out great and fall apart with too much time.

Laura dressed like a woman in a tough job, and not like a supermodel.

Great point, MaryM47! One thing that bugged me about later seasons of Castle was how glamorous Beckett became, with the flowing long hair, high heeled boots and the extra makeup. Stana is a beautiful woman, but I felt like it was such a shift from the more no-nonsense, even slightly-awkward version of Beckett we got in the first couple of seasons. So it was awesome to watch Mysteries of Laura and see Laura wearing jeans, or hoodies, or FLAT SHOES -- much more believable and easier to run after perps in!

Edited by sinkwriter

Thanks, giovannif7, for the update. 

I am sorry to hear that Laura has been cancelled.  It was just a nice, fun show to watch and I loved all the characters, more than a lot of other shows I watch..

I think my favorite might be the nasty email that was supposed to be sent to "Tom" being sent to "Jessica."

I love this series. I also 100% believe Debra Messing behaves exactly like this.

I can't believe Laura chose Jake and his cheating ass over the awesome Food Truck Tony. Ugh. It makes no sense. I liked this show, despite its flaws, but the fact that a Laura/Jake reunion was in the plans will make me miss it a whole lot less. 

• Love 1

I don't think I saw every episode of this show when it originally ran, but I followed it enough to know what was happening and decided to revisit it now that it's streaming on Tubi. I've only watched the pilot so far, but that was rough going, especially any scenes with the kids. I'll probably continue because there's something compelling about it despite its problems. It may also be nostalgia if that doesn't sound weird considering how recent 2014 was chronologically, but boy does it feel like ages ago right now.