Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Aftermath

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Gigglepuff said:

From the article: "After 9 a.m. Pacific, the conversation turned to when and how to cancel the show. A call was arranged with Barr, her publicist, and executive producer Tom Werner, whose production company Carsey-Werner owns the sitcom."

Roseanne's publicist! Can you even imagine that job?

A direct conversation was more than Roseanne deserved. I would've just notified Werner and let him deal with her.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 13

From that article it sounds like she realized she'd gone too far.  It's too much to hope that this is because she regrets what she said.  I don't think though that she expected to have her show cancelled.  Like a lot of powerful people before her she overestimated her ability to control the tide.  

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I don’t feel the cast and crew are responsible for Roseanne’s behavior. It’s not their day to watch her, so to speak. She’s an adult. 

As to taking the job in the first place, knowing her- they needed or wanted jobs on a hit show.  We all take a job knowing there may or will be a coworker we despise.   Why should someone give up a great job because of someone else?   

Are you responsible for your co- workers behavior? Your bosses? 

The fellow cast members shouldn’t be made to feel like they have to weigh in. 

I don't know, i kind of think if you decide to work with a known asshole (and a racist one at that) in a situation like this, hoping it will be a big success anyways and instead that assholes assholish behavior ends up costing you your job you don't get much sympathy. They took a gamble on Roseanne (the person) and lost.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

From that article it sounds like she realized she'd gone too far.  It's too much to hope that this is because she regrets what she said.  I don't think though that she expected to have her show cancelled.  Like a lot of powerful people before her she overestimated her ability to control the tide.  

She's not sorry.  She is back tweeting things like "I didn't know she was black; I thought she was Saudi," as well as more Soros conspiracies 

• Love 11
Just now, aw86 said:

She's not sorry.  She is back tweeting things like "I didn't know she was black; I thought she was Saudi," as well as more Soros conspiracies 

I guess what little self control she had (and it was very little) has gone out the window now!  In the article cited above it was said she was working on an apology, I suspect that won't be happening anytime soon.

• Love 4

What she meant was what so many comics of that era mean - social mores changed and suddenly they got more heat for saying certain things. She used to go on about this quite a bit over the last decade. And there may be a kernel of truth in the idea of an oversensitive culture, but the problem is that a lot of people like Roseanne (or Dennis Miller, or let's just say it, Bill Maher) start tilting further and further towards the right because they feel upset that their power and privilege is being challenged to do and say whatever they want without pushback. And that leads comics like Roseanne to end up eventually going far right where they feel their voice is still most privileged.

As near as I can tell, Roseanne's actual 'politics' are a confused grab bag of far left and alt right. Which frankly does not surprise me in terms of how our political spectrum now curves. Apologies if this is OT.

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, vibeology said:

This is the second time she has gone on social media and compared a prominent black woman to an ape. I guess there's still an even lower place someone can go but not by much. This is who Barr is, a racist. An unapologetic racist. I can see why networks don't want to be associated with her in any way. I can see why advertisers don't want to be associated with her in any way. Even networks that just run repeats need to make money.

It's not the midwest but let me suggest a few ABC sitcoms that focus on working families. Fresh Off The Boat is about a hard working family of entrepreneurs in Orlando who own a restaurant. Speechless is about a blue collar family in California and have the added expense of a child with special needs. On NBC, you've got Superstore which isn't a family show but certainly shows what its like to work in a low wage retail job in Missouri. I don't think there was a void in the first place. It's just for some reason we don't look at America Ferrara, Constance Wu or Michah Fowler as working class.

I love Superstore, but it’s not so much about their individual lives.  Hit me up when Amy has her baby and let’s see if they talk about what it’s really like to be a single mom to a newborn on a retail salary.  Or if they just mine it for laughs like they did Cheyenne’s pregnancy.

Both Speechless and Fresh Off the Boat are good, but each focus on JJ and Eddie more then their parents’ ability to raise them.  There are times when they get close with individual episodes (although I haven’t seen a full Fresh Off the Boat in a long time.  That show can drag.)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, saylubee said:

I easily think there could be a void filled where there is a show set in the Midwest with blue-collar family.  I’d even support some of the same cast and crew minus Roseanne.

It's not midwest but Young Sheldon is about a family that isn't exactly economically advantaged, it's also funny and while it doesn't have a member of Roseanne's cast it does have Laurie Metcalf's daughter playing the younger version of the character she created on Big Bang Theory.

• Love 4

Just catching up on all of this debacle, good grief the woman has lost the run of herself.

I have a question to ask since I never joined Facebook or Twitter and no nothing of their terms of service, is this something that could get her banned from social media sites?

One thing that did impress me was how fast ABC acted. I mean even with Roseanne’s shitty opinions there would still probably be a huge audience for this show (and the contraversey might have actually brought in more viewers, like people who watch car racing for the crashes). So by cancelling it they are probably giving up a ton of money, so it is nice that even knowing that they still don't want to be in the business of supporting her.

• Love 7
(edited)
37 minutes ago, aw86 said:

So in Roseanne's mind, it's less objectionable to compare an Arabic person to an ape than an African-American person? I haven't paid much attention to Roseanne's crazy tweets before - I've always thought of her as a "drunk aunt" who says outrageous things at family events; I'm sure most families have one. But when it gets that hateful I can no longer tolerate it, and it has *nothing* to do with politics for me, it's just basic human decency. ABC made the absolute right decision, even though I am sad for the rest of the cast and crew.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 23
34 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't know, i kind of think if you decide to work with a known asshole (and a racist one at that) in a situation like this, hoping it will be a big success anyways and instead that assholes assholish behavior ends up costing you your job you don't get much sympathy. They took a gamble on Roseanne (the person) and lost.

Exactly. They were having great fun joking about her inflammatory behavior in interviews before the revival began airing, so they it's not as if they were dealing with an unknown commodity.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Zoe Perry said that she played a younger version of Jackie at least once. So technically.....

Had to google that; she played young Jackie (in flashbacks) in 1992 and 1995. She would have been about 8 and 11, respectively. (I do love Young Sheldon, though, and she's great as a young Mary Cooper.)

Can't say I'm terribly disappointed by the show being cancelled. I was curious what they'd do in the next season, and I would have watched, but I didn't really think the reboot was all that wonderful. If it was a new show I probably wouldn't have lasted past the first couple episodes.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

"Never mind."  No, that was the other Roseanne, Roseanne Roseannadanna (Gilda Radner) on Saturday Night Live.  :D  LOL

Actually, it was Gilda Radner's earlier SNL character, Miss Emily Litella, who said that. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, aw86 said:

"I didn't know she was black; I thought she was Saudi,"

As though that would somehow make it ok?!

4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think I read years ago that Rosanne struggled with drug addiction.  If that is true, then her behavior comes as no surprise.  She did what an addict will do when something good happens, sabotage it.

Roseanne has been saying and doing vile hateful racist things for a long time. It's who she is now, and has been for quite a while. Also, even if you are a self-sabotager, you don't go to the well of hate speech, unless you have it in you to be that way. There are lots of ways people self-sabotage that don't involve hurting other people or spewing racism. 

• Love 19
(edited)
39 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

"Never mind."  No, that was the other Roseanne, Roseanne Roseannadanna (Gilda Radner) on Saturday Night Live.  :D  LOL

That was Emily Litella, actually. 

ETA: Well, someone else beat me to it! NEVER MIND! ;)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The cast was all so close, it's hard for me to imagine

She and Michael Fishman shared a particularly close bond, and whatever the state of that now, I am proud of him being the first core cast member to come out with an unequivocal denunciation of her statements and endorsement of ending the show because of them.  (I know what Sara Gilbert said, but Fishman's was the first post-cancellation statement as far as I know.

And, sadly, he and Lecy are the two members of the cast that will take the biggest hit financially.   Sara Gilbert, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman will be fine.

• Love 20

So my parents weren’t so wrong after all.  They NEVER allowed me to watch the original run.  Called Roseanne a crass and rude woman.  Her Star Spangled Banner antics sealed the deal back in the day (for my momma and daddy).  25 something odd years later here we are....

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

21 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

And it also appears the she is throwing Sara under the bus for not defending her nasty tweets.

So she has “nothing more to say,” yet she keeps on retweeting justifications for what she said and also liked a tweet that she’s pissed at Sara Gilbert for not defending her? Smh. I can’t right now. 

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

I’ve been feeling this for awhile now, but after today’s events, there’s a whole new level of revulsion inside when I think about pulling out my DVDs of the original show again to watch.

Luckily I got my Roseanne DVDs at a discounted price on amazon a long time ago, so if I dispose of them or at the every least never watch them again, I won’t feel super bad. I put my disdain aside for Roseanne Barr as I watched the reboot, but there’s just no coming back from this.

• Love 4

I’m not all that surprised that this happened.  I remember being shocked that the show was even revived because Roseanne is known for being notoriously off kilter and a PR nightmare. Her tweets and social media had been problematic for years, so I’m still surprised that they even took a chance with her.  Good for ABC for cancelling.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, windsprints said:

Micheal Fishman tweeted a statement earlier today (apologies if this has been posted and I missed it. I scrolled back and didn't see it):

Tweets go in the media thread.  This one has already been posted there. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, saylubee said:

I easily think there could be a void filled where there is a show set in the Midwest with blue-collar family. 

They could always bring back "The Middle", which just ended after 9 seasons, and there were rumors that it was ended because of the Roseanne reboot.

• Love 6
(edited)
41 minutes ago, millennium said:

Can you imagine having a job where no matter how good you are at what you do, or how hard you work, or how long you've been with the company or what unique abilities you bring to every project, it can all vanish with a just few words typed by a crazy person?

I feel for them but I also feel for the viewers (including myself).  In the past few months we've been screwed out of several things because of stars' bad behavior and vile comments, including the reboot of Mario Batali's old cooking show, "Molto Mario", plus the cancellation of "The Chew", from which he was dismissed last Fall, and many thought his scandal had something to do with it.

Now Roseanne can go to the "island of disgraced celebrities", which was founded by Paula Deen and getting more populated every day.  What is it with these people?  I am sorry but there's no excuse for them and they get what they deserve.  The network knew of the risk with Barr but did nothing to put a muzzle on her.  They could have warned her to STFU or force her to sign a contract agreeing to be quiet, but they obviously didn't do enough.  I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.  She is a loose cannon and wacko, and it was obvious that she could not be trusted.  I don't think stars should be spouting off on their political views incessantly anyway.  In the business world that would never be tolerated and many big companies have statements in their employee handbooks to that effect, telling employees to zip it online or else risk being fired over it if the company thinks their comments are offensive.  I don't know why stars seem to be allowed to do that.

I don't necessarily blame the cast for working with her.  People generally don't let politics or people's personal views (or the voicing of those views) get in the way of their working relationships.  That's the way I've always known it to be in our society so why should it stop now?  I don't like thinking that putting that stuff in the forefront is now becoming a requirement as things get more divisive.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 19
10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am by no means defending her.  I don't want anyone to think I am.  If anything I am defending Goodman Mecalfe and Gilbert.   One of the great things about the original Roseanne was the overriding arc of "we all need to work"  and how Roseanne and Dan sometimes took crappy demeaning jobs to put food on the table.  I can see many of the crew (camera man, sound editor etc) taking what they though was a good job.  As for Goodman, Metcalfe and Gilbert my guess is that they thought they could contain the crazy but when the show took off so did Roseanne's mouth.  

It is not about containing the  “crazy”, it is about being an enabler of someone who is unapologetically racist.

As far as Roseanne’s  mental health, it does not give her the right to hurt people or spew conspiracy theories, ever.

The way I look at it, it was simply a question of economics on all sides, imo.

The talent including Metcalfe and Goodman wanted to cash in with the reboot and ABC did not want to lose the Ad. revenues because of said talent unbridled personal views.

Imho, everyone is a victim of their greed, therefore they have to pay. I don’t feel sorry for anyone except perhaps the below the line employees.

44 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

She's just continuing to eat herself. She's throwing everyone under bus and retweeting statements from people that refer to her cast mates as "thankless underlings." Though I'm glad she's getting her ass torn to shreds, it's breaking my heart at the same time. These people have been her family for almost 30 years now, and it's hard to give up on your family. Her public response to Michael and Sara is just sad. She seems to be truly shocked that they have responded the way they have. What a depressing ending to what was a timeless, hilarious, and eye opening show. Like I said above, what she said shouldn't have came as a surprise. But watching this happen is just such a surreal bummer.  I guess that's why I don't want the cast to engage with her clearly unstable ass. As of right now, Roseanne is still on Twitter, retweeting garbage propaganda, and calling out the cast and crew. Sometimes you just have to let family go, but, that doesn't make it any less sad when it gets to that point. Roseanne, you are a heinous, selfish, bitch. Get help, quick, atone, do something, or else in the very near future, you will be lying in a bed taking your last breath, and there won't be a soul there to hold your hand. When I watched her reality show, I got the impression that her family couldn't stand her much either, but they stuck around because of the money. She treated everyone like trash, while keeping her head firmly planted up her own ass. Fuck yourself Roseanne, you were given a talent, worked hard to make a success out of yourself, and you chose to make this your legacy instead. Nice work. 

She does not care. As far as her dying alone? No way.

• Love 4