Type keyword(s) to search

Super Social Analysis: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, and LGBT in Movies

• Start Topic

Seriously? I'm white, but I don't demand to see only white actors on screen. Indeed, I believe that sometimes the right person for the role is someone who looks like the right person.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Don't the Globes now use the term "best male actor" and "best female actor" now?

I think that's the SAG Awards.  And I'm pretty sure they've always done that, which is cool.

• Love 2

Hmmm.  At the very end of the Variety article, it says that McGowan will be an executive producer, so he's more involved with the film than just an actor.  There's a story in there somewhere.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2017 at 2:05 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Maybe it was just the way she was lit or her makeup in the few clips I saw for The Others but she just spooked me out. It's sad to say because she's definitely a beautiful woman but she's very pale and the blonde hair and waxy skin complexion - brought on by Botox or makeup or both - combined to create something really alien-looking that makes me feel uncomfortable.

The blonde hair really doesn't do her any favors; it washes her out and helps draw more focus to the waxy quality of her skin. Red hair is what she looks best with, it really warms her up. I still say she was at her most beautiful in Practical Magic; her skin was luminous and she had the most beautiful long, flowy red hair. I wish she'd go back to that color.

• Love 4
(edited)

l know Wayne's World 2 was a huge bomb, and that's too bad.  When I was a kid I didn't know that at all, and my family and I just loved that movie.

Mike Myers certainly has a reputation for being difficult though.  He and Dana Carvey did not get along, I think because Lorne insisted that Wayne have a sidekick?  Furthermore, his Dieter movie never was released.  I read the script in the 2000s and I found it so funny.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Furthermore, his Dieter movie never was released

Which unfortunately is what begat The Love Guru.

I really hate how they treat women in these gross-out movies.  Looking at you, Farrelly Brothers.

I've liked Garner since Alias and followed her career. Her goody and folksy image has always been there. I'm not at all surprised that she has this "Minivan" appeal and she basically took a big portion of the Julia Roberts demo as well. Back in the 90s, Roberts was really adored by women in that demographic; it was the bread and butter of her romcoms. They both have that Southern women appeal which I think Reese Witherspoon has as well. Garner has even an better reputation for being more nice and genuine than the other two. She was known to work her ass off on Alias and her Daredevil days and she always appeared nice to her interviewers. David Letterman loved having her own more on his show.

I do not like most of Garner's movie roles now, but she still has a screen charisma that is sweet and vulnerable at the same time. At the same time, she can be badass even though she hasn't been in a long time.

I remember watching her and Affleck in Dardevil in theatres and thinking they did have great chemistry. Ben Affleck's career would not be where it is now without Garner. I honestly can't see how would have been able to direct and write all the movies he's worked on without her support. 

• Love 1

There's actually an article that I posted in the fametracker thread that basically argues that Jennifer Garner was a big part of rehabilitating Ben's image after he was turned into a laughing stock about his Bennifer/Gigli days.

It's kind of weird that the article neglects to mention her Juno role, where she decides to adopt a baby even without the support of her soon-to-be-ex husband because motherhood really was that important to her. I did really love her in that role- how much she wanted everything to be perfect when Juno came to interview them, and her tears of joy when Juno said she'd let them adopt her baby. That was really the beginning of her "maternal figure" roles.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

There's actually an article that I posted in the fametracker thread that basically argues that Jennifer Garner was a big part of rehabilitating Ben's image after he was turned into a laughing stock about his Bennifer/Gigli days.

It's kind of weird that the article neglects to mention her Juno role, where she decides to adopt a baby even without the support of her soon-to-be-ex husband because motherhood really was that important to her. I did really love her in that role- how much she wanted everything to be perfect when Juno came to interview them, and her tears of joy when Juno said she'd let them adopt her baby. That was really the beginning of her "maternal figure" roles.

I really thought she should have gotten a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nom for Juno.

• Love 8

For sure. I do think that Jennifer Garner's current career does have quite a long shelf-life to it- she can conceivably play the "Mom" roles into her late 50's. Similar to Lea Thompson, who's made a respectable career out of "Mom" roles, although it's mostly t.v. roles. now.

• Love 1

I saw a movie called The Exception today with Lily James and Jai Courtney. Not really a spoiler because it happens so early in the movie and you know they're intimate if you watch the trailer... There are two sex scenes early on. In the first, he tells her to undress but she notably has agency the whole time. It's hard to describe but she doesn't break eye contact and you sense that she's making the conscious choice. It's possible to say she didn't have a choice because he holds this power because of his status/identity, because they're alone and she's defenseless, because of his physical bearing... but that's not how the scene is played. Even in a submissive-ish sexual position, she's making the choice. It never feels like rape or even coercion. Also, the camera doesn't linger overly long on her body. It's full nudity but less objectifying than a Transformers movie. Still, that might be problematic if not for the second scene where the roles are reversed. She tells him to undress. Also, full frontal nudity from him. She gets on top. It was an interesting take on gendered power dynamics, sexuality, and morality. There's more to say if you watch the movie but I was just struck by how unusual and refreshing it was, though the movie has its weaknesses.

Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas announced they were going to have a single all-women showing of Wonder Woman, and the expected male rights backlash has started.  "I'll never go to your theater again."

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas announced they were going to have a single all-women showing of Wonder Woman, and the expected male rights backlash has started.  "I'll never go to your theater again."

Oh, for fuck's sake. Sometimes, quite frequently these days, I feel a little embarassed to be both a man and white. What the hell is with these bozos? Do they have no empathy? Do they not want people other than them to have nice things? last I heard, the Drafthouse hasn't reached Australia, so I can't support it with my business. But an all-women screening affects my personal enjoyment level not one bit in either direction. It's not like that screening would be in the slot where I would normally go.

Edited by Joe
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Alamo's responses have been spot on, though.

MRA moron: "What's next, an all-clown screening for IT?"

Alamo: "Thanks for the idea!"

Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas announced they were going to have a single all-women showing of Wonder Woman, and the expected male rights backlash has started.  "I'll never go to your theater again."

Oh, for fuck's sake. Sometimes, quite frequently these days, I feel a little embarassed to be both a man and white. What the hell is with these bozos? Do they have no empathy? Do they not want people other than them to have nice things? last I heard, the Drafthouse hasn't reached Australia, so I can't support it with my business. But an all-women screening affects my personal enjoyment level not one bit in either direction. It's not like that screening would be in the slot where I would normally go.

Every time men's rights activists are pissed off, a basket of kittens and puppies are born at the end of a rainbow. :)

• Love 21
12 hours ago, Joe said:

I don't necessarily agree with the all-female screening if it's discriminatory, but I agree that the response has been way out of proportion. 

I get the point of what the Drafthouse is trying to do. But they could've said there's going to be a special screening of the movie followed by a Q & A period with local feminist leaders and women's studies professors to talk about the future of women in Hollywood. The audience would likely turn out to be 99% women, if not more. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

While I really don't care what kind of showings a movie theatre has i don't really get it. I mean you are sitting in a dark theatre presumably quiet, so why does it matter who else in that same theatre?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, topanga said:

I don't necessarily agree with the all-female screening if it's discriminatory, but I agree that the response has been way out of proportion. 

I get the point of what the Drafthouse is trying to do. But they could've said there's going to be a special screening of the movie followed by a Q & A period with local feminist leaders and women's studies professors to talk about the future of women in Hollywood. The audience would likely turn out to be 99% women, if not more. 

I don't think the point is to be discriminatory - the point is to do something special for this one particular showing (well, now two, since they quickly sold out of the first one.)  Among the back-and-forth that Aiming for Yoko mentioned between the Drafthouse and guys who are upset about the screening, someone else wrote suggesting a special veterans-only showing for a war or action movie, and when they got snide about it in a "but if y'all feel like a veteran's night isn't worth it..." way, the Drafthouse replied, "We're big fans of special screenings and have done veterans and active military screenings many, many times.  We will absolutely continue in the future."  It's a special event made for a particular group of people on this particular showing, and everyone else is free to go to any of the other showings that day or any other (it's June 6th, several days after the film opens, so it's not a special advance on anything people won't have already had ample opportunity to see.)

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/26/2017 at 11:38 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Every time men's rights activists are pissed off, a basket of kittens and puppies are born at the end of a rainbow. :)

Or a female angel gets her wings. ;) 

I've got no problem with the all-female WW screenings.  IIRC, this is the first stand-alone, big-screen movie for a major female superhero since 1984's Supergirl and it should be treated accordingly. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6
On 5/26/2017 at 8:50 AM, AimingforYoko said:

Alamo's responses have been spot on, though.

MRA moron: "What's next, an all-clown screening for IT?"

Alamo: "Thanks for the idea!"

At least they're willing to do a special screening for his demographic as well!

I've gotten snippy with a venue whose promotional material implied that interested men wouldn't be welcome at a specific event, but in that instance it was a one-time thing where there wouldn't have been alternate opportunities to attend.

(edited)
On 5/30/2017 at 0:09 AM, VCRTracking said:

Jessica Chastain, one of the jury members at this year's Cannes Film Festival:

Yeah, I was following some of the news and reviews out of Cannes and it was hard not to notice that this year's slate seemed to be very low on female-driven films*, even in comparison to some recent years. I was actually wondering if Chastain would comment on it, since she's been pretty outspoken when it comes to female representation in film, and I think her comments here were both an eloquent and forceful rebuke. I believe some of the other women on the jury were critical as well, thought none of their comments went as viral.

*Nothing against Diane Kruger, who I'm sure is great, but I couldn't help but wonder if her Best Actress win was aided by the fact that her film seems to have been one of only two or three in competition with a clear female protagonist (especially since the film itself didn't get a particularly warm reception).

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1
(edited)

So, they're apparently remaking Overboard with Anna Faris.

While it was a movie that I remember thinking was hilarious as a kid, and while Goldie Hawn was incredibly appealing and has great chemistry with Kurt Russell (well, they've been together for 35 years, so I should hope so), I find the plot itself incredibly troubling.

Leaving aside the issue that Hollywood continues to find lows in its creative bankruptcy, I just don't know how you can tell that story if you don't rob the main character of all her agency.  And that bugs me.  Like, I don't think there's a good way to do it, period.

ETA: Turns out, they flipped the genders.  I'm still not sure that's better.

Edited by starri
  • Love 6
(edited)

Like I said in the Well That Won't Now thread, Overboard worked despite all those troubling elements in the plot due the charisma of Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, and knowing at the time that they were together in real life.  There is no way it could work now with different people.

As for the gender swap, to say we can't do this to a female character anymore, but it's OK to do it to male character, doesn't make it any better.

Edited by Lugal
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

“I think, nowadays, sadly, money trumps patriotism,” said guest Dion Baia during Friday’s episode of Your World with Neil Cavuto. “Especially, recently, I personally feel like we’re not really very patriotic, the country, in a certain sense. They want these movies to succeed internationally, so they’re going to dial back.”

Guess what Dion, America's not the center of the world anymore, it's just another market to sell to.  Fox News, complaining about the world they helped create.

• Love 12

Also, Wonder Woman and Superman have always had that tension. It's not like they invented something new. They've been used to reflect patriotism and Americana... I mean the red, white, and blue (and gold/yellow) isn't exactly subtle. But he's always been an alien from another planet and she's always been an Amazon from... wherever. I don't know if they needed to hire Gal Gadot but it's not like they hired Zhang Ziyi to pander to China. 

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Also, Wonder Woman and Superman have always had that tension. It's not like they invented something new. They've been used to reflect patriotism and Americana... I mean the red, white, and blue (and gold/yellow) isn't exactly subtle. But he's always been an alien from another planet and she's always been an Amazon from... wherever. I don't know if they needed to hire Gal Gadot but it's not like they hired Zhang Ziyi to pander to China. 

Well, in the new movies, xenophobia is a big factor. Superman is basically ostracized by the media and politicians BECAUSE he's an alien from another planet. Doesn't matter how many people he saves, they still don't trust him, still are going to harp on collateral damage. It's ungrateful and it irked me to no end. Sadly, that's probably the way he's get treated if he really did exist today.

I was fine with Gal Gadot. Who cares what nationality she is? Wonder Woman comes from an island of Greek Amazons. And these morons are bitching because she isn't American and doesn't go defend America? History lesson: America wasn't the only country fighting in WWI. Get over yourselves.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8
On 6/3/2017 at 11:07 AM, Lugal said:

“I think, nowadays, sadly, money trumps patriotism,” said guest Dion Baia during Friday’s episode of Your World with Neil Cavuto. “Especially, recently, I personally feel like we’re not really very patriotic, the country, in a certain sense. They want these movies to succeed internationally, so they’re going to dial back.”

Guess what Dion, America's not the center of the world anymore, it's just another market to sell to.  Fox News, complaining about the world they helped create.

$100 million domestically! That's before you add all the money from all those dirty foreigners. 

(Does that commentator realize that his boss, Australian born Rupert Murdoch, became a US citizen only because he had to in order to buy the TV stations that would become Fox Network. Pure capitalist play on his part.)

• Love 3
On 2017-3-8 at 6:51 PM, Neurochick said:

How would Brits feel if an American actor played James Bond.

Although not American, wasn't Hugh Jackman a big contender for playing Bond? I think it was more about Hugh not wanting the role, rather than vice versa. If he accepted, would there really that much backlash? And Renee got the iconic Bridget Jones role. 

But I think there is certainly an argument to be made that Black Americans have fewer opportunities to work in more international productions. I am thinking something like the Book of Negros, a Canadian miniseries that casted Cuba. 

On 6/3/2017 at 6:39 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Amen to that. IIRC, two of the last three actors who played Spider-Man in the movies-including Tom Holland, the new one- are White Englishmen, as is the current big-screen Superman Henry Cavill, but Fox News hasn't said shit about them

Given recent events at their own network, Fox News has no business throwing shade at feminist icons, especially Wonder Woman, so they can have more seats than the Superdome, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 10
(edited)
14 hours ago, memememe76 said:
On 3/8/2017 at 6:51 PM, Neurochick said:

How would Brits feel if an American actor played James Bond.

Although not American, wasn't Hugh Jackman a big contender for playing Bond? I think it was more about Hugh not wanting the role, rather than vice versa. If he accepted, would there really that much backlash? And Renee got the iconic Bridget Jones role.

Over the years Bond producers have considered John Gavin, Burt Reynolds and James Brolin. You can find the last one's screentest online.  He was okay, but I think he was destined to play P.W. Herman:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I don't know how much they actually spent but Black Panther looks expensive... in a good way. Also, while it's slick it doesn't have what bothers me in blockbusters. Or at least, it's not exclusively that. There are different looks to different scenes. It isn't all that blue or green filter and then that high blue/orange contrast. Intrigued. Also, lady warriors. I need more of that in the upcoming trailers, please.

• Love 6

Whew. OK, I agree Tom Hardy isn't the best choice. But for a second I thought the rumor was that he was going to play Aladdin and I was like 'holy hell, he's not even close to the right age. Why not just cast Robert Downey Jr.? This is insulting.' So bear in mind that I'm reacting to this coming off of that first assumption. Again, I still don't think Hardy is the right choice but I can see where it would sidestep some issues. They got away with Jonathan Freeman in the stage show because he's the original voice of Jafar. And casting a white actor does avoid the unfortunate Disney trend (Aladdin, Lion King, arguably Hercules and The Little Mermaid and Mulan) of having a villain who is "darker" than the hero(es). But Freeman is the original voice of Jafar. I don't see the argument for casting Tom Hardy. If you were going to cast a non-Middle Eastern actor to avoid unfortunate implications, it makes more sense to cast an Asian actor. The stage show just cast Telly Leung as Aladdin which works because of the Chinese roots of the story. I think casting a black actor as Jafar would also get into murky territory as far as cultural sensitivity goes but a white actor makes no sense if it's not Freeman. This is Jafar. He's a sorcerer. And his name isn't Merlin. But still, not as upset as I would be if we were talking about Aladdin and Jasmine.

• Love 1