Type keyword(s) to search

Jack: A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an... oh, who are we kidding?

• Start Topic

I was going on and on in an episode thread about my thoughts on Jack and realized -- hey! maybe he should have his own thread. So, voila. :)

Does anyone have naming suggestions? Should we get some ideas and then have a poll?

Jack - Off

Jack - The Destroyer......  Oops, never mind Connor from AtS wouldn't want to share and he might hurt the poor misunderstood nougats feelings.

Jack - Misunderstood Nougat

Jack - Son of the Whiniest Archangel

Jack - Latest Character The Show Doesn't Have A Freaking Clue What To Do With!

Jack - Abominationish Maybe, um, No, er Yes, We Don't Know, But It'll Be Shocking and Totally Unexpected tm The Show

• Love 5
19 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

ack - Latest Character The Show Doesn't Have A Freaking Clue What To Do With

True dat!

Jack - I'm pretty sure I'm Cas' spawn. His powers come and go according to plot too!

• Love 3

I’m hoping that the writers will develop the relationship between sam and Jack as they work to save Dean. There’s a lot to mine there and I want them to take advantage of the setup. 

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Bessie said:

I’m hoping that the writers will develop the relationship between sam and Jack as they work to save Dean. There’s a lot to mine there and I want them to take advantage of the setup. 

I would actually rather see more of a relationship form between Jack and Cas. He's done his bonding with the Winchesters. For all that they've told us about how Cas feels a responsibility for him because of the promise that he made to Kelly there hasn't been much bonding outside of their talk in Tombstone. Plus it would give Cas a well deserved storyline.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 8
(edited)

Yeah. Jack and castiel don’t have much of a relationship at all. That works. Cas can hang with Jack, while sam gets time with Rowena or Mary to try and save Dean. 

Edited by Bessie
Just now, Bessie said:

Yeah. Jack and castiel don’t have much of a relationship at all. That works. Cas can hang with Jack, while sam gets time with Rowena or Mary. 

Win-win!

1 hour ago, Bessie said:

They really do have a lot in common: no childhood, dead mom, daddy issues, Lucifer's obsession, etc.

• Love 1

Honestly, I was incredibly dubious about Jack as a concept all through S12, because I was really REALLY not feeling the "monstrous half-breed" thing it seemed like they kept pushing. Cannot say how much I hated that. But I actually liked Jack a lot in S13! I even thought it made [enough] sense that he was so powerful because his grace and soul were both energy sources and super-charged each other -- that was "logical" enough that it didn't seem like some creepy metaphysical statement about his "breeding" or lack thereof lol.

All in all, I think it's surprisingly refreshing to include a character that's so sensitive and childlike. And I'm genuinely interested in his relationships with Sam, Dean, and Cas. He brought out a nice side of Sam especially. I like the character, but I also like his effect on the chemistry/tone of the show.

One of my favorite Jack-related moments in the season was actually a Mary scene, not a Jack scene, though -- I liked when Mary and Jack were at Bobby's camp in the AU, and Bobby said Jack had to leave because he wasn't human (and Mary would have to go, too, if she stuck by him), and Mary said that, actually, he *was* human but that she'd leave with him if Bobby was going to kick him out. I thought that was a good character moment for Mary, and it was a nice statement on the part of the show. I also liked that Jack was just off being a kid while the confrontation was happening, too.

Otherwise, I really liked when Jack was trying to get dream walkers to show him the AU -- that whole episode was pretty awesome, though. Kaia was an especially awesome part of it, too. I feel like Kaia is a successful version of Claire as a character -- a kind of hard-boiled girl trying to figure out how to live a normal life on her own in a gritty/supernatural world. But anyway, that's neither here nor there in this thread :)

The only thing that I didn't like was the deification of Kelly, but I guess Supernatural just doesn't know what to do with itself if it doesn't have a tragically dead mother to deify!

• Love 4
On 2018-05-30 at 8:20 PM, Bessie said:

Yeah. Jack and castiel don’t have much of a relationship at all. That works. Cas can hang with Jack, while sam gets time with Rowena or Mary to try and save Dean. 

I think they could all have time with each other   I would actually have them all work together.  If they are going to keep Jack around, unless his character is going dark side, he will still have bonding to do with Cas, Sam and Dean.  I don't think he has to bond solely with one person.

• Love 1

Cas and Jack. That is the single most wasted opportunity since Jack was conceived by the writers.

Talk about bait and switch storytelling.  IMO, Dabb used Cas to keep fans engaged with a Cas storyline. They attached Cas to Jack by Jack doing it himself in utero. They had Dean angry with Jack because of the bill of goods that he believed Jack sold Cas about Paradise, and believing Jack was responsible for Cas' death (right or wrong that's what Dean thought and it mattered to Cas' storyline even in death).  Jack resurrected/woke up Cas from the Empty.

Yet, once Jack was born,  Cas is killed, and then brought back and barely a factor in Jack's life other than meeting him and apologizing to him for not being there (which don't even start me on that).  They spent more time apart than together and it's bullshit to do that to Cas.

So yes, I am fully on board with Cas and Jack having the lion's share of bonding in s14.  Jack has gotten that in spades with Sam for better or worse.

• Love 8

The only thing this season I had time for with jack is his relationship with dean. It felt earned, if that makes sense. It was allowed to develop over time, culminating in the awesome talk regarding nightmares and the convenience store moment in which only dean was able to get jack’s attention. Fair enough it started out really rocky but that’s to be expected considering jack was the son of Satan but through actions and words they were able to see each other in another light. That said I am all for cas and jack bonding seeing, you know, cas is actually family!

• Love 4
On 6/1/2018 at 12:27 PM, catrox14 said:

Cas and Jack. That is the single most wasted opportunity since Jack was conceived by the writers.

I feel like this is jumping the gun. Hopefully there will be plenty of time for their relationship to evolve over the next season or more. Jack and Cas haven't even been in the same universe for that many episodes yet, and they've had a lot to do with each other even so.

Also, I think the show made a good choice by dealing with Lucifer and his relationship with Jack before building up Jack's other relationships too too much. Mostly, I'm glad they dealt with that this season rather than waiting until next season. Although I certainly hope that Lucifer stays dead and we're done with all that mess now!

What I think is going to be interesting going forward is that Jack is really eager to connect with Cas and the Winchesters, and he's so dependent and trusting of them in terms of them guiding him and teaching him. As much responsibility as the characters have taken on before, the people they've had to take care of have always been more guarded or independent or connected to other people than that. This time the roles are reversed and they're the ones who are distrustful, worried, and preoccupied, rather than the other way around. I'm looking forward to seeing the impact it has on them to have someone who loves them and needs them so wholeheartedly. What can I say, I'm a softie.

I also expect there to be at least some complications between Cas and Jack eventually, because if Jack doesn't have mixed feelings at best about angels at this point, that's bizarre. But I think that'll be interesting in terms of Cas's character growth. He's been getting assimilated into humanity little by little for a long time now, and it's going to be yet another step to be "step-father" to someone who's half human. He's been caught between angels and humans a lot of times before, but I think this will be different because it's so personal. This is definitely the most interesting storyline setup that I think Cas has had for years. I like it much better than when Cas was became obsessed with fetus!Jack in S12.

Also, maybe I'm being dense, but what's the thing about Jack liking nougat? I mean, I remember that he says he likes it in the very beginning of the season, but not why that's significant later?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rue721 said:

relationship to evolve over the next season or more. Jack and Cas haven't even been in the same universe for that many episodes yet, and they've had a lot to do with each other even so

That's kind of my whole point. There should have been much more Jack and Cas interaction in s13 instead of what they did. Which is why I say it's a wasted opportunity. I have zero faith they will do it in s14 either.

• Love 3

Jack: He's not a fan of Anakin

I've said it in many episode threads, I liked Jack.  I'm a fan that they never had him tempted by the darkside, he was always a good guy.  Between his mother, Cas, Sam, Dean, and the sheriff and her son, he immediately felt and saw kindness, and good, and he liked it.  And he liked helping people.  That was a great move to never have him go against the Winchesters, and for him to consider them (I'm including Cas in that) his family.

I'm still calling Jack as the end game of the show.  What I mean, is that the entire Winchester family will defeat a big bad, Jack will get his full powers, and make Paradise on Earth.  He'll let it be known that it's because of Dean, Sam, Cas, Rowena, Mary, Donna, Jody, and every other member of the family.  And that had the entire Winchester clan not been there, Jack would have made this dimension, a more sinister version of The Bad Place.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Jack: He's not a fan of Anakin

I've said it in many episode threads, I liked Jack.  I'm a fan that they never had him tempted by the darkside, he was always a good guy.  Between his mother, Cas, Sam, Dean, and the sheriff and her son, he immediately felt and saw kindness, and good, and he liked it.  And he liked helping people.  That was a great move to never have him go against the Winchesters, and for him to consider them (I'm including Cas in that) his family.

I'm still calling Jack as the end game of the show.  What I mean, is that the entire Winchester family will defeat a big bad, Jack will get his full powers, and make Paradise on Earth.  He'll let it be known that it's because of Dean, Sam, Cas, Rowena, Mary, Donna, Jody, and every other member of the family.  And that had the entire Winchester clan not been there, Jack would have made this dimension, a more sinister version of The Bad Place.

I think that ending would fundamentally change the core of the show. Remember what Dean said back in 4.22? "You can take your paradise and shove it up your lily-white ass." In my opinion, Supernatural has always been about scrappy, imperfect humans fighting the good fight and stubbornly resisting "higher beings" treating them as pawns for their own ends. I don't understand how Earth could possibly become Paradise without the brainwashing of every single human being into compliance. Human nature is both good and bad, and to remove either goes against the entire Free Will/flawed creation theme.

Of course, the show has been leaning toward that ever since Dabb took over. It's fantasy rather than horror now, and that involves big, noble heroes accomplishing unrealistically good things. There's no bad consequences that arise, because then it would not be heroic. That's why Jack is a lily-white cinnamon bun rather than a morally-ambiguous character. The show would have gone with the latter in earlier years.

Basically, I'm not a fan of him doing to the world what he did to Cas and Kelly, which was framed positively rather than creepily as it should have been.

• Love 12

How cool would it have been if Jack were the villain, a creature capable of subsuming others' will to force them to love him? He would have been the perfect antagonist for Team Free Will. Jack could have accumulated droves of devotees, much like what was implied he did to Kelly and Cas. And he technically would create Paradise as he'd promised, since all the subjugated people would be blissful and content. The desire to be worshipped and loved could be a trait passed down to him by Lucifer, who has spent more than his share of screen time whining about it.

The foundations are there. Jack forced Lucifer to tell the truth and completely overrode his agency, for example. I would have liked to see that put to a darker use. What if season 13's midseason finale was the realization that Sam and Dean's warming to Jack was his doing, that he was subtly manipulating their minds? But no, I guess that'd be too close to true horror, and the show's certainly not in that genre anymore.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BabySpinach said:

How cool would it have been if Jack were the villain, a creature capable of subsuming others' will to force them to love him? He would have been the perfect antagonist for Team Free Will. Jack could have accumulated droves of devotees, much like what was implied he did to Kelly and Cas. And he technically would create Paradise as he'd promised, since all the subjugated people would be blissful and content. The desire to be worshipped and loved could be a trait passed down to him by Lucifer, who has spent more than his share of screen time whining about it.

The foundations are there. Jack forced Lucifer to tell the truth and completely overrode his agency, for example. I would have liked to see that put to a darker use. What if season 13's midseason finale was the realization that Sam and Dean's warming to Jack was his doing, that he was subtly manipulating their minds? But no, I guess that'd be too close to true horror, and the show's certainly not in that genre anymore.

This sounds like a pretty awesome story idea. Unfortunately I doubt that any of the current writers are this creative. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

This sounds like a pretty awesome story idea. Unfortunately I doubt that any of the current writers are this creative. 

Thanks! Jack's redemption wouldn't have necessarily been out of the cards, either. Or we could have still had the Michael!Dean cliffhanger, since maybe an archangel in his true vessel would be immune to Jack's brainwashing. The possibilities were endless, and could have easily slotted in-between season 13's beginning and ending.

• Love 2
On 6/3/2018 at 9:18 AM, BabySpinach said:

I think that ending would fundamentally change the core of the show. Remember what Dean said back in 4.22? "You can take your paradise and shove it up your lily-white ass." In my opinion, Supernatural has always been about scrappy, imperfect humans fighting the good fight and stubbornly resisting "higher beings" treating them as pawns for their own ends. I don't understand how Earth could possibly become Paradise without the brainwashing of every single human being into compliance. Human nature is both good and bad, and to remove either goes against the entire Free Will/flawed creation theme.

Of course, the show has been leaning toward that ever since Dabb took over. It's fantasy rather than horror now, and that involves big, noble heroes accomplishing unrealistically good things. There's no bad consequences that arise, because then it would not be heroic. That's why Jack is a lily-white cinnamon bun rather than a morally-ambiguous character. The show would have gone with the latter in earlier years.

Basically, I'm not a fan of him doing to the world what he did to Cas and Kelly, which was framed positively rather than creepily as it should have been.

I thought that when Kelly announced, after she tried to kill herself, that Jack wouldn't let her die, it was one of the most chilling, horrifying moments I had seen on the show. Of course when the show runs the flashbacks of Saint Kelly, that is one scene we never ever see, and probably never will. Because we are supposed to forget that from one point of view, Jack was actually a supernatural creature who grew in Kelly's body like a parasite, forcing her to stay alive until he could emerge, killing her in the process. Nope, never happened.  Because (as Kelly flutes to us every time we have to watch that freaking video of hers again) Jack is her precious baby and deserving of nothing but unconditional love. Yeah, okay, we got it.

It is interesting to me that when Jack runs The Tape of all the people that he has hurt with his powers (because on this show, showing us a series of flashbacks is the writers' lazy way of showing us what is going on inside a character) he doesn't include in that tape the death of his mother.

Of course, I don't hate Jack. How could I? He's a nice kid. He's been designed to be nothing but sweet and lovable. But as a character he is paper-thin, and his teen angst (Who Am I? -- Identity Crisis 101)  and inner conflicts (quick, run The Tape -- "Why do I keep HURTING people?!") have never engaged me.  Jack has been coddled and loved and encouraged and told how special he is for his entire life, more than any other character on the show, and as a result, I am kind of tired of watching him feel sorry for himself and having the show expect me to feel sorry for him.

As a comparison, think about Dean and how Kripke talked about the character. (He is not the only character that could be used for comparison, but he is my favorite.) In an early interview, Kripke talked about the dimensions that Jensen had brought to the character, the depth of emotion and "the totally flawed, screwed-to-hell psyche that he brings to Dean."  Kripke talked about the story scratching the surface of the character, and letting us see the damage that caused him to be the person he was.

I will not lie, there have been times when I have said "Awww, Dean." But I always felt that the show's goal was to give the character dimensions and tell an interesting story. With Jack my impression is the whole point is to give FEELS to the fans, which is putting the cart before the horse. There have been scenes where Dean's pain brought tears to my eyes. I have never once felt choked up over Jack's pain.

I mean, seriously, when Mary was telling Dean about how Jack had been fighting a war and had lost friends, were we supposed to feel moved by Jack's suffering? Because I wasn't. (And by the way, who exactly were the friends that he supposedly lost? I must have missed that part.) And when Jack went off to brood again and was randomly banging on himself with his fist -- sorry, but I thought he looked kind of silly. And I wish just once they would let Jack react to some trauma without him breaking out, like a rash, into flashbacks.

For me Jack is not a terrible character; he is a cute, lovable boy, and I am kind of like "whatever" to him being on the show. But I think that what the show has done with him as a character is very revealing of the limitations of this showrunner and group of writers. And I think the odds are very low that he will ever install himself forever in my heart as earlier characters on the show have.

• Love 11
(edited)
7 hours ago, Bergamot said:

I mean, seriously, when Mary was telling Dean about how Jack had been fighting a war and had lost friends, were we supposed to feel moved by Jack's suffering? Because I wasn't. (And by the way, who exactly were the friends that he supposedly lost? I

And this hours after he watched his brother, her other son, be killed right in front of him. Seriously, indeed.

One thing I don't get for reasons other than just... reasons. So Jack was cognizant on some level at least in the womb. He sprung forth and immediately grew into a fully formed human being. So why did he stop there? Why not mature right to adulthood? I can only surmise it was for the My Three Dads angle, and the CW/let's get someone the teens can swoon over angle. Because there is no story reason that he stopped at the perfect age for maximum angst.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

And this hours after he watched his brother, her other son, be killed right in front of him. Seriously, indeed.

One thing I don't get for reasons other than just... reasons. So Jack was cognizant on some level at least in the womb. He sprung forth and immediately grew into a fully formed human being. So why did he stop there? Why not mature right to adulthood? I can only surmise it was for the My Three Dads angle, and the CW/let's get someone the teens can swoon over angle. Because there is no story reason that he stopped at the perfect age for maximum angst.

IMO, this is the only reason.  And the my Three Dads angle quickly dropped to my one Dad...Sam at the beginning of the season. And poor Castiel barely interacted with Jack until he was kind of already hitting the "toddler" stage after he did all that to protect him once Jack whammied him.  

• Love 4
On 6/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, BabySpinach said:

How cool would it have been if Jack were the villain, a creature capable of subsuming others' will to force them to love him? He would have been the perfect antagonist for Team Free Will.

Not for me. I've seen enough of everything being "evil." And it would've just been a set up for Castiel and Sam to be "wrong" yet again with Dean Cassandra-ing all over the place and no one listening until it all went to crap. It might've been cool if there hadn't been so many other situations in the last few seasons with a similar scenario: Castie and/or Sam insisting that he was doing the right thing because the situation would work out for the better and then everything going completely wrong.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand this reference.

In mythology Apollo gave Cassandra the gift of prophecy, but also cursed her so that nobody would ever believe her.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

In mythology Apollo gave Cassandra the gift of prophecy, but also cursed her so that nobody would ever believe her.

Ah, thanks!  Well, people should listen to Dean. LOL

• Love 3

We've already got Cas.  Why do we need Jack? 

@Pondlass1 IMO Jack's personality is extremely similar to Cas's circa seasons 4-5 in regards to his naivety and overall charm. Only difference is Jack is younger. Maybe that's why I'm largely indifferent to him since I've already grown to love Cas's quirks and now they're being repeated in a new character.

• Love 1
Just now, DeeDee79 said:

@Pondlass1 IMO Jack's personality is extremely similar to Cas's circa seasons 4-5 in regards to his naivety and overall charm. Only difference is Jack is younger. Maybe that's why I'm largely indifferent to him since I've already grown to love Cas's quirks and now they're being repeated in a new character.

These aspects of Jack kind of offend me as a Cas fan, because I can see them trying to replace Cas with Jack.  And Misha who is over 40 is IMO endangered. Hell, Jensen is as well but he has more power as one of the main two lead characters. I'm not kidding either. Look at the CW shows that have phased out actors over 40. I fear that Misha is on that precipice of removal by the network.

I think Jack brings:
- A chance for adult Sam and Dean to be "parents".  Yes, Dean 'parented' Sam his entire life. But that was a kid raising a slightly younger kid.  I loved Dean's relationship with Ben and have mourned that loss.  And Sam has never been in the parenting role.  With both Dean and Sam basically acknowledging they are never going to settle down, move away from hunting, and have kids (Dean's fantasy is not likely to come to fruition), this is the closest they have to experiencing 'parenting' as adults.  It's a wonderful and miserable at the same time.  And yes Jack is in an adult body but he's also simultaneously a child in many ways.  He still has velcro shoes.  I really really want to see Sam or Dean show him how to tie his shoes.  Can the boys have a full life without this experience?  Absolutely. But given how Dean bonded with Ben, I feel it's something Dean longs for.  And although Sam has not explicitly mentioned children, I'd like to see his reaction to 'parenthood'.  Just the little moment in the finale when Dean talked about having nightmares -- that's the kind of thing I want for both Sam and Dean. As always, it's often through interactions with others that we get more insight into the Winchesters.  This is a different angle that interaction with hunter/victim/MOTW is not really going to explore in depth.
- A chance for Cas to be a parent.  I put Cas separately because his role as 'parent' is going to come from a different place than Sam and Dean.  I'd like to have Cas talk about the wonders of the universe. Of angelic elements that no one else but potentially Jack will be able to appreciate.
- An expansion on both sources of problems and potential solutions.  Just like having Cas has brought that.  Yes, Jack's powers are problematic like Cas'.  The Deus Ex Machina.  I have no doubt Lucifer taking away Jack's power was an intentional device to de-power Jack some.

In sum, Jack as a human/angel hybrid provides the son to "My Three Dads" that we couldn't get otherwise.  I'm really digging that angle.  

• Love 2
(edited)
53 minutes ago, SueB said:

Absolutely. But given how Dean bonded with Ben, I feel it's something Dean longs for. 

But why does it have to be Lucifer's son and not a child of his own? And after Emma, I'm not sure he really wants children again, given how that turned out...

The only parent Jack should have had was Castiel.  I would have been much more interested in seeing Cas figure out how to be a parent.  Check in with the brothers for some parenting tips.  But nope, they killed him off instead.  And by the time Cas was resurrected, Jack's formative phase was kind of over.  Jack hit angsty teen. By the time s14 rolls around, he should be college age, given his current aging process, so what is there for Cas to parent?

Dean's been a parent whether it was to his own brother or to Ben.  Sam has never displayed any kind of interest in being a parent and IMO he didn't really show that with Jack. I can't help but wonder if Sam would have been nearly as interested in 'parenting" Jack if he didn't see himself in him or didn't relate to him.  That's not a slag on Sam either. It's just not something we've ever seen him be interested in.  Even with Amelia he had a dog and children were never mentioned. 

I actually mostly believed that Sam just wanted to train him to open the Rift.  I think it's weird that Sam never seems to consider that maybe he's relating a bit to Jack's darker side or more that he won't admit it. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

But why does it have to be Lucifer's son and not a child of his own? And after Emma, I'm not sure he really wants children again, given how that turned out...

The only parent Jack should have had was Castiel.  I would have been much more interested in seeing Cas figure out how to be a parent.  Check in with the brothers for some parenting tips.  But nope, they killed him off instead.  And by the time Cas was resurrected, Jack's formative phase was kind of over.  Jack hit angsty teen. By the time s14 rolls around, he should be college age, given his current aging process, so what is there for Cas to parent?

Dean's been a parent whether it was to his own brother or to Ben.  Sam has never displayed any kind of interest in being a parent and IMO he didn't really show that with Jack. I can't help but wonder if Sam would have been nearly as interested in 'parenting" Jack if he didn't see himself in him or didn't relate to him.  That's not a slag on Sam either. It's just not something we've ever seen him be interested in.  Even with Amelia he had a dog and children were never mentioned. 

I actually mostly believed that Sam just wanted to train him to open the Rift.  I think it's weird that Sam never seems to consider that maybe he's relating a bit to Jack's darker side or more that he won't admit it. 

Because he can actually enjoy being a parent and not worry about the 'child's' life.  He shot Jack to get his attention.  Certainly there will be some plotonium that puts Jack at risk, but for Dean (IMO) Jack is the ideal candidate for a child.  He can teach them, pass on what he knows, and not risk them dying due to proximity to the Winchesters.  

As for Sam, I'm hoping they explore the "Dad" element for Sam  more in S14.  Especially with Dean unavailable, I think there's more of an opportunity there.  I think Sam defers to Dean on many matters out of habit.  But when Dean wanted nothing to do with Jack, Sam did do more than the Mr Miyagi routine.  He got Jack his mother's video.  He checked on Jack getting food.  We saw him reading "The drama of the gifted child" - an excellent parenting book for Jack.

Bottom line: A regular child is "at rick" all the time.  A superpowered child frankly takes a lot of worry off the table.

• Love 1